Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A-wear returns policy

Options
  • 22-08-2010 6:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

I bought a pair of trousers in the a-wear sale. The tag said size 8 on them so I bought them without trying them on, as I know that size fits me there. When I got home and tried them on they were far too big, and when I checked the label inside it said size 12!
    Never seen a mis-labelling like that before.
    So when I returned them to the shop, I was told 'no return on sale items' which I knew anyway, but it wasn't a change of mind- it was their fault for mis-labelling their item.
    2 supervisors were called and all I was offered was a credit note, which I refused- I am now waiting on a phone call from management!
    I think it's very bad that no one in the shop was able to deal with this issue, and blaming the customer for their mistake is very bad form- I'll see what comes of this phone call, but I doubt I'll bother shopping there again :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Bad form, could be argued that they are faulty. Really they should have given you the refund, they are being sold as an 8 to all intents and purposes- it's not as if it was just the hanger was wrong. I'd go in again to the same store- without ranting/raving/shouting and calmly explain that it is not a change of mind refund. Be firm but polite. They have sales ALL year round, it wouldn't be tough to re-sell them (with the tag altered..). I don't think there's any part of consumer law you can quote other than that you are entitled to a refund if the item is faulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

... I don't think there's any part of consumer law you can quote other than that you are entitled to a refund if the item is faulty.

Just to be a bit picky: the item was not faulty; it was incorrectly described on the tag. That amounts to mistake or misrepresentation on the part of the seller. Under the general law of contract, an agreement based on mistake or misrepresentation is voidable. It comes down to this: "You told me it was a size 8, and I bought it on the basis of what you told me. What you told me was wrong, so the deal if off (technically, "I am voiding the contract"). Here is the garment back; now return my money and everything is fixed."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I take it the wrong label is still attached, if so then yes you should def get a refund. If the tag is missing then you have a weaker case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If the label is still attached, then they should accept the return and refund your money, as it was miss-sold in the first place. Their no-returns policy is meaningless in this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

Both label and tag are still attached, as I showed to the 3 different sales assistants/supervisors.
    The poor staff training reflects very badly on the company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

milly4ever wrote: »
    ... The poor staff training reflects very badly on the company.

Maybe. But many firms train their staff to about the same level.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Since label is still on the item its clear as day that the item was mislabled, they should be accepting it no questions asked.
    Idiots!

Don't settle for anything other then a full refund,

Thanks for all the responses. I have just got a call from them to say I can get the refund, and that the girls working yesterday were 'too scared' to authorise a refund on a sale item yesterday :rolleyes:.
    So at least it has ended well!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Thanks for all the responses. I have just got a call from them to say I can get the refund, and that the girls working yesterday were 'too scared' to authorise a refund on a sale item yesterday :rolleyes:.

Scared?
    Says alot for the management style I guess, so if the normal sales staff wouldn't issue a refund why didn't the supervisor?

Cabaal wrote: »
    Scared?
    Says alot for the management style I guess, so if the normal sales staff wouldn't issue a refund why didn't the supervisor?

The supervisor wouldn't budge either, and had a dreadful attitude.
    I think that they should have had some common sense, and, even if they were unable to authorise it, they should have had a better attitude when it was their company at fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

will they be sending the refund round to your place or will you have to go out of your way and call in again ?

will they be sending the refund round to your place or will you have to go out of your way and call in again ?

will have to call in again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

Let them know there's a thread on Boards they should have a look at - might help with staff training and PR ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I'll send a link on to them from here:

http://www.awear.com/page/contact

Wonder if they will reply......

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I'll send a link on to them from here:

http://www.awear.com/page/contact

Wonder if they will reply......

thanks- have emailed them too!
    When will companies realise that it is much easier to try to facilitate the customer where they can, rather than getting this amount of bad publicity?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Sometimes in retail outlets the buck stops with management authorisation only - this must be one of those places!!

Unfortunately you went in when the manager wasn't there but they should have somebody sufficently trained in their absence, particularly for a sale clothing item...if it was a flat screen tv or something of high value I could see their point in waiting for management authorisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭I-Shot-Jr

Sometimes in retail outlets the buck stops with management authorisation only - this must be one of those places!!

Unfortunately you went in when the manager wasn't there but they should have somebody sufficently trained in their absence, particularly for a sale clothing item...if it was a flat screen tv or something of high value I could see their point in waiting for management authorisation.

Not even, I work in a store that sells consumer electronics and I'm sufficiently trained to know when to take back a high value good such as a flat screen tv. Even with extremely expensive goods, myself and my colleagues would rarely have to wait for a manager to sort it out, I think its just laziness on the part of management by not training their staff with basic customer service policies such as returns.

I must give A-wear management their dues- I received a reply to my email this morning saying that the store manager has been contacted and this issue should hopefully not happen again.
    Very glad it is resolved now :)

Advertisement