Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weaning Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

Lasagne or spaghetti bolognese (if you mix the sauce and pasta together it freezes and defrosts well)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

I've been giving my 7month old half a weetabix in the morning which she loves but I am not loving the nappy that follows half an hour later. This mornings offering ended up slathered in her hair, I almost had to dunk her in the bath upside down (sorry!!) so time to move on from weetabix!

Any ideas for brekkie? I had been giving her baby plum porridge before hand but I'd say she's sick of it at this stage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

Digs i give my 7 month old Readybrek. We gave him some boiled egg mashed with beans Saturday morning. He liked the beans but wasnt overly impressed with the egg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Digs wrote: »
    I've been giving my 7month old half a weetabix in the morning which she loves but I am not loving the nappy that follows half an hour later. This mornings offering ended up slathered in her hair, I almost had to dunk her in the bath upside down (sorry!!) so time to move on from weetabix!

Any ideas for brekkie? I had been giving her baby plum porridge before hand but I'd say she's sick of it at this stage!

The nappies get better with the weetabix, I thought I was going to have to stop it because I started to think it wasn't agreeing with him so every second day I started giving my little fella porridge. Just ordinary porridge as he wouldn't entertain ready brek! Now at 15 months he has weetabix every day, in fact, its the only meal of the day he gets excited about :)

Thanks girls! Interesting to know about the weetabix, I may persevere as she does get pretty excited when she sees it.

Need never thought of beans, I need to start getting more adventurous with her, her skin was a bit dodgy for a while so I was taking it really easy but seems to have cleared up now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Just regular beans? Must try it. Does anyone make the Annabel Karmel fish fingers with cornflakes? What are they like? Could you freeze them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Regular baked beans are quite high in salt and sugar so probably aren't the best for babies under 1.

You could try make your own. I had beans in tomato sauce in a restaurant recently and I've been meaning to try make it myself ever since.

Regular baked beans are quite high in salt and sugar so probably aren't the best for babies under 1.

You could try make your own. I had beans in tomato sauce in a restaurant recently and I've been meaning to try make it myself ever since.

Thabks how strange. I had them in the cake cafe in Camden st and subsequently made them and they were lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

He only had a teaspoon of beans. I mixed it in with the egg to try something different. He's not very bothered with egg.

He loves ready brek though.

I gave her a tsp of the no added sugar beans mixed with some scrambled egg and she literally nearly bit the spoon out of my hand. Big hit here so thanks for the idea nead!

Am going to make my own so searching for a good recipe unless someone has one to share?

Rice cakes also a big hit today, it's like a light switch has gone off in her head the past day or two, she is big into food!

Edit to add: Just found this recipe so might give it a go at the weekend

http://onehandedcooks.com.au/recipe/baked-beans/?doing_wp_cron=1385480539.5514910221099853515625

• Advertisement

Digs wrote: »
    I gave her a tsp of the no added sugar beans mixed with some scrambled egg and she literally nearly bit the spoon out of my hand. Big hit here so thanks for the idea nead!

Am going to make my own so searching for a good recipe unless someone has one to share?

Rice cakes also a big hit today, it's like a light switch has gone off in her head the past day or two, she is big into food!

Edit to add: Just found this recipe so might give it a go at the weekend

http://onehandedcooks.com.au/recipe/baked-beans/?doing_wp_cron=1385480539.5514910221099853515625

I think I have a bean recipe so will check later.

I made fresh salmon fingers with egg and breadcrumbs last night and cooked them on the pan. They're in the fridge since. Would they be still ok for the baby tomorrow eve?

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

yellow hen wrote: »
    I think I have a bean recipe so will check later.

I made fresh salmon fingers with egg and breadcrumbs last night and cooked them on the pan. They're in the fridge since. Would they be still ok for the baby tomorrow eve?

Absolutely. Heat them up well and let them cool before giving them to the baby, rather than heating slightly is what I'd recommend though.

Neyite wrote: »
    Absolutely. Heat them up well and let them cool before giving them to the baby, rather than heating slightly is what I'd recommend though.

Thanks neyite. Although I love fish, I have no confidence in cooking it! Terrified ill make the little man fish.

Today was his first time to ever have a fish finger and the crèche said that although he made a face on his first bite, he lapped it up after that. Little sweetheart is incapable of refusing anything.

Girls how many ounces of milk does/did your 9 month old take? I think I read on a HSE leaflet that they should still have about 21ounces, which is what I've been making for my son. He doesn't actually want it though and im thinking of dropping his lunchtime bottle which is 3oz. He'll then have his earky morning, breakfast and tea bottles. Do you think this is ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

At 9 months my daughter was having 2 7oz bottles a day - one in the morning and one before bed. She was getting plenty of dairy from cheese and yoghurts too.

Xdancer wrote: »
    At 9 months my daughter was having 2 7oz bottles a day - one in the morning and one before bed. She was getting plenty of dairy from cheese and yoghurts too.

Thanks xdancer. He's lactose sensitive so I've been avoiding dairy but I'm going to try yoghurt again tomorrow.

On a side note, I was just reading annabell Karmel there for some new food ideas and some recipes use milk eg. Pancakes. Is that whole fat dairy milk or formula milk? I always thought a baby couldn't have dairy milk until there were more than 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Cow's milk can be used in cooking for 6 months+.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Hi all. I started weaning my 6 month old over a month ago. I think I might be going to slow. He's had an ok variety of puréed veg very little fruit and baby porridge. That's it!

Everything he eats is puréed. The consistency has gotten thicker but no lumps yet. Any tips on how/when to introduce different textures would be greatly appreciated. I don't think I'm doing great with the whole weaning process!!!

Perhaps start mashing the food with a fork rather than puréeing.

Also give little fingers of toast when he's sitting in his high chair.

We're doing a combination of spoon feeding lumpy food and finger food.
    I've given her chunks of scrambled egg, pasta, slices of ripe pear, melon. I also got some baby rice cakes and Ella's kitchen biscuits.

A started crèche at 6 months and she eats the same food as her older brother so chicken, beef, lentils etc. I asked them just to fork mash rather than purée.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Thanks for all that how strange. I was thinking of starting with a little scrambled egg as it's soft.
    I know it's important to introduce lumps as early as possible so don't want my constant fear of him choking to get in his way of progressing!
    Would you give the toast dry or put some butter on it?
    I made a load of different purées so my next batch will be more mashed as opposed to totally smooth. Thanks again.

• Advertisement

I use unsalted butter except every now and then when I forget and she gets some if mine with regular butter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

I'm thinking of starting A no baby rice today. I got the milupa one. On the box it says for every spoonful of cereal, add ten of usual baby's milk! Now this may seem like a silly question but do I add the formula and then add water to the lot, or make up some milk and add it in as liquid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭Gee_G

loubian wrote: »
    I'm thinking of starting A no baby rice today. I got the milupa one. On the box it says for every spoonful of cereal, add ten of usual baby's milk! Now this may seem like a silly question but do I add the formula and then add water to the lot, or make up some milk and add it in as liquid?

Make up the milk and then add it in warm. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

my LO is nearly 12 months (on the 20th) and i am still giving him 3 5oz bottles per day (with breakfast, lunch and one at dinner)....should i be cutting these out?

Also he still eats mainly purees (thick and lumpy but purees still) he will eat rice cakes and bread and fruit and fish fingers and sometimes a piece of chicken but thats it...he is kinda slow to move on from the puree and im not sure how to move him on to more grow up food....?

Perhaps add more texture very gradually so he gets used to it slowly.

Also if he likes finger food could you try giving him his meals as food that he can pick up and feed himself?

I never puréed food for my son and my daughter refuses to be spoonfed so were straight into finger foods again.

Pasta and noodles are great foods for self feeding as are roasted parsnip or carrot sticks instead of potato. My son never liked potato as a baby and still doesn't and he's nearly 3. I suppose it's very bland on its own.

Perhaps add more texture very gradually so he gets used to it slowly.

Also if he likes finger food could you try giving him his meals as food that he can pick up and feed himself?

I never puréed food for my son and my daughter refuses to be spoonfed so were straight into finger foods again.

Pasta and noodles are great foods for self feeding as are roasted parsnip or carrot sticks instead of potato. My son never liked potato as a baby and still doesn't and he's nearly 3. I suppose it's very bland on its own.

I am really unadventurous with food. How strange, do you mins me asking if something like carrot sticks are a snack or a meal? If its a meal do you give something with them? In going to try the pasta soon. For a 9 month old is pieces of regular pasta ok?

I think we all tend to get stuck in a rut of giving the same things over and over again.

I'd give roasted carrot sticks with meat so maybe with chunks of chicken or beef. Roasted parsnip sticks were always a big hit with O. He might only be able to suck on the meat but he'll get all the goodness out of it. I gave A a big piece of chicken on Sunday. She sucked away on it for ages and nothing came out so she broke it down herself.

I used to give O bolognaise and the bow tie or twirly pasta as they're easy to pick up. I'd mix the two and put them on his high chair table and he'd help help. Messy as hell but he loved it. With curries I'd do the same with noodles. I wouldn't give too much sauce.

I'm hoping A will just take a few things from my plate at Christmas dinner so there's no need to make something especially for her.

It is terrifying at first but you get used to it very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Bummppd

Hi all, Would like all the advice I can get right now!! My baby boy is 10months, And I'm having major difficulty with finger and textured food, He just refuses them point blank, Apart from Ligas, He'll take a liga in his hand and off he goes chomping away no problem! He picked at a few carrots once or twice but I wouldn't say he actually ate them. I'm starting to get worried now, like I don't want him still eating pureed food as he's turning one!! Anyone help!!?

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭FunkSoulSista

I know my little guy is very up and down with food, will take something one day but not another. I found perseverance is key, keep offering different things, don't make a big fuss if they don't eat it.

I think it was on here someone recommended a book on finger foods, got it but just haven't got around to using it yet!

Have you tried giving him a bowl of food with a spoon and leaving him at it, my one wants to feed himself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭JD24

Hi All,

My LO is 23 weeks, I started weaning at 20 weeks. Started with baby cereal which started out ok. Did one feed every day, 1-2 spoonfuls for a week or so then moved to twice a day, 4-6 spoonfuls. For the last few days its been a nightmare, lips clenched tight, refusing with head movements, if I do manage to get some in she gags but will eventually eat it but only because she cant get it out of her mouth! Ive even gone back to baby rice. I had only tried apple, that was as far as i got! Shes just over 5 months. Should I give it a break or persist? Any advice would be greatly appreicated!!

Advertisement