Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weaning Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

kandr10 wrote: »
    I've tried giving bits of finger food to my 6month old. So far I've tried toast and banana still with a bit of skin on to help grip. She eats them no problem when we hold them to her mouth but she won't hold them herself. And yet when I'm spoon feeding her she grabs the spoon and jams it in her mouth or else sticks her hands in and sucks food off her fingers! How do you guys manage it? Is it just a case of practice and patience?

Also for anyone spoon feeding, what's the best way to start introducing lumps? I've been fork mashing softer veg but the likes if broccoli or spinach that go kinda stringy I'm still blending. Should the lumps be large enough for them to hold or just enough to give a bit of texture?

To be honest I just give her little florets of brocolli now and she eats away. Sometimes she uses the stem as a handle, other times she turns them over and sucks/gnaws at the stem. With regards to the lumps I'd say just enough to give texture to start with. The holding the food will come with practice just keep giving her some on her tray.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

Roesy wrote: »
    Hey, the veggies were cut into finger/sticks, rubbed in oil and cooked in the oven. She had red pepper and carrot because I was using those anyway. When we started first I used to steam the veggies because I thought she'd manage them better but she seems to prefer the roasted. I cook them a little longer for her but not too long that they get too overdone and fall apart when she picks them up. She didn't have pasta as granny decided to give her two Ella's pouches when she was over for a visit!! I had intended giving her some large rigatoni with a small bit of the pasta sauce to see how she fared with it. She had about a third of an avocado. Most of it was spread on the mini rice cakes. She enjoyed that. I also gave her a couple of slices of it but they were a bit slippy. Avocado might work well in that net thingy? She takes 5 bottles and will leave an oz or two here and there. She sleeps through the night but doesn't really make the four hours between feeds a lot. The blw cookbook is quite good because it has all the info at the start about the size of pieces of food, gagging vs choking etc. it's been mentioned a couple of times in this thread I think but the baby led weaning(starting solids) in Ireland Facebook group is good too.

Thanks for that. Are they the mini rice cakes u buy in a packet? They can come in different flavours??

Thanks for that. Are they the mini rice cakes u buy in a packet? They can come in different flavours??

Yep, the plain ones I have are Boots organics and I can't remember what brand the apple ones I have are. Threw out the packaging when I opened them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Aldi do baby plain baby rice cakes as well :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I've tried giving bits of finger food to my 6month old. So far I've tried toast and banana still with a bit of skin on to help grip. She eats them no problem when we hold them to her mouth but she won't hold them herself. And yet when I'm spoon feeding her she grabs the spoon and jams it in her mouth or else sticks her hands in and sucks food off her fingers! How do you guys manage it? Is it just a case of practice and patience?

Sounds totally normal to me. It wasn't till the 7 month mark that my son mastered the pincer grip properly. Before that he couldn't really hold food himself. He's 7.5 months now and flying it feeding himself. It really pays off to encourage them to self feed and it doesn't take long to see results. I hadn't even planned on it, had just assumed I'd be feeding him off the spoon for the foreseeable future but Im so glad that I encouraged him. He used to grab the spoon like crazy too, and I left him have it generally. He's happy to take food off the spoon now, and I think it's because he gets his fun from the finger food.
    Also for anyone spoon feeding, what's the best way to start introducing lumps? I've been fork mashing softer veg but the likes if broccoli or spinach that go kinda stringy I'm still blending. Should the lumps be large enough for them to hold or just enough to give a bit of texture?

How about trying something like baby pasta shells? You can cook them as soft as you like but they have a good texture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

livinsane wrote: »
    Sounds totally normal to me. It wasn't till the 7 month mark that my son mastered the pincer grip properly. Before that he couldn't really hold food himself. He's 7.5 months now and flying it feeding himself. It really pays off to encourage them to self feed and it doesn't take long to see results. I hadn't even planned on it, had just assumed I'd be feeding him off the spoon for the foreseeable future but Im so glad that I encouraged him. He used to grab the spoon like crazy too, and I left him have it generally. He's happy to take food off the spoon now, and I think it's because he gets his fun from the finger food.

How about trying something like baby pasta shells? You can cook them as soft as you like but they have a good texture.

Thanks so much for your reply. I wasn't worried or anything but it is still reassuring to know its normal :)
    It's funny, on week 2or3 my husband made the purées and they were quite thick. We gave her a pouch for the first time last week and it was so runny in comparison. Once she's happy to eat it I don't mind. I'm losing the run of myself a bit with the whole thing. Need to stop over thinking it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Thanks so much for your reply. I wasn't worried or anything but it is still reassuring to know its normal :)
    It's funny, on week 2or3 my husband made the purées and they were quite thick. We gave her a pouch for the first time last week and it was so runny in comparison. Once she's happy to eat it I don't mind. I'm losing the run of myself a bit with the whole thing. Need to stop over thinking it!

I was exactly the same, had myself up to ninety about it. How can so little food cause such anxiety! Its get so much easier so quickly.

Losing the run of myself here too!!!

• Advertisement

You literally are with the posts lol :-)
    How's the weaning going for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

You literally are with the posts lol :-)
    How's the weaning going for you?

Ha ha was going to say the exact same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Soooky

Sorry if this has already been posted but haven't had time to read every page!!!

Our ebf LO started on solids on Monday - she is 5 and half months old. We have given her sweet potato for the last few days at lunchtime and she has surprised us by how much she has ate! Tried giving her poached pear for her tea but she was quite unsettled that night so we have reverted to giving her baby rice for her tea before bedtime (wasn't keen on giving this as it has no nutritional value but it seems to sit well in her tummy over night). She has silent reflux so we are being careful with what we give her. She was on gaviscon but I have stopped that since starting solids. Basically she hasn't pooped since starting solids on Monday - lots going in but nothing coming out!!!! I'll have to start her a little juice tomorrow (she's had water) if nothing has happened! Is it normal for baba to not poop like this when starting solids? TIA for any replies : )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Soooky wrote: »
    Sorry if this has already been posted but haven't had time to read every page!!!

Our ebf LO started on solids on Monday - she is 5 and half months old. We have given her sweet potato for the last few days at lunchtime and she has surprised us by how much she has ate! Tried giving her poached pear for her tea but she was quite unsettled that night so we have reverted to giving her baby rice for her tea before bedtime (wasn't keen on giving this as it has no nutritional value but it seems to sit well in her tummy over night). She has silent reflux so we are being careful with what we give her. She was on gaviscon but I have stopped that since starting solids. Basically she hasn't pooped since starting solids on Monday - lots going in but nothing coming out!!!! I'll have to start her a little juice tomorrow (she's had water) if nothing has happened! Is it normal for baba to not poop like this when starting solids? TIA for any replies : )

Maybe try puréed apple and add a little prune if bad constipation wise - my girls were both prone to it and baby rice does tend to make it worse but I found it fine if mixed with a fruit of some sort!

As the title says....

.. my little man (8 months) is great for dinners - salmon or white fish, chicken, beef, lentils, all kids of veg, pasta, cous cous; if he's finding a meal a little unpalatable a spoonful of fruit puree mixed in will usually see him polish it off. He's getting good with textures too, and is really starting to dig the finger food. The problem is lunch; I'm starting to run out of ideas on what to give him. He generally will get something like scrambled eggs & toast, mashed avocado with a little cous cous, lentils with a little cheese. If he's not eating well a reduced sugar rusk with a little fruit and a yogurt will generally keep him happy, but I'm not keen on giving him this often (my mother has other ideas!!) He'll occasionally get an ellas pouch when we're out (he likes to suck them straight out of the pack!) I give him water out of a sippy cup with meals.
    I'm kind of running out of inspiration, he will eat finger food but to be honest most of it goes everywhere but his mouth - I don't mind and it's good practice, but he does get cranky later when he's hungry! Any menu ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

nikpmup wrote: »
    As the title says....

.. my little man (8 months) is great for dinners - salmon or white fish, chicken, beef, lentils, all kids of veg, pasta, cous cous; if he's finding a meal a little unpalatable a spoonful of fruit puree mixed in will usually see him polish it off. He's getting good with textures too, and is really starting to dig the finger food. The problem is lunch; I'm starting to run out of ideas on what to give him. He generally will get something like scrambled eggs & toast, mashed avocado with a little cous cous, lentils with a little cheese. If he's not eating well a reduced sugar rusk with a little fruit and a yogurt will generally keep him happy, but I'm not keen on giving him this often (my mother has other ideas!!) He'll occasionally get an ellas pouch when we're out (he likes to suck them straight out of the pack!) I give him water out of a sippy cup with meals.
    I'm kind of running out of inspiration, he will eat finger food but to be honest most of it goes everywhere but his mouth - I don't mind and it's good practice, but he does get cranky later when he's hungry! Any menu ideas?

French toast, toasted bagel with cheese, soup , toasted sandwiches , and we make smiley faces - which are a pate with faces mixed with peppers, corn, steamed or roasted sweet potatoes , butternut squash, ham, cheese, olives ( not appreciated!!) etc whatever's in ye fridge and chop them into strips or cubes etc to make a big smiley face - two meals are never the same!!
    Out mine just eat whatever I'm eating usualy - like a panini or sandwich etc I just order appropriately! Started this about the same age with my second as she was great with solids and usually bring some smoothie or yoghurt to top her up with just incase, or a banana / bananas are soooo useful when ur out and about!!

This last week lunches consisted of the following: cheesy lentil wedges, avocado on toast, roasted veggies and strips of chicken(leftovers), yogurt, fruit and rice cakes, cheese on toast, French toast and a pouch. As you can tell, toast is very popular here! The cheesy lentil wedges were a big hit. Am thinking pancakes today.

How much formula are the 6/7/8 month babies taking? My little girl has just turned 7 months and up until 2 days ago was taking between 32-36 over 5 feeds a day. Saturday and Sunday she woke a little later so she had 4 bottles(about 30-32oz). I know the formula box is just a guideline but it says 3 7oz bottles for 7-12 month olds. I'm not sure she's quite ready to drop to four feeds, nevermind three!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

This last week lunches consisted of the following: cheesy lentil wedges, avocado on toast, roasted veggies and strips of chicken(leftovers), yogurt, fruit and rice cakes, cheese on toast, French toast and a pouch. As you can tell, toast is very popular here! The cheesy lentil wedges were a big hit. Am thinking pancakes today.

How much formula are the 6/7/8 month babies taking? My little girl has just turned 7 months and up until 2 days ago was taking between 32-36 over 5 feeds a day. Saturday and Sunday she woke a little later so she had 4 bottles(about 30-32oz). I know the formula box is just a guideline but it says 3 7oz bottles for 7-12 month olds. I'm not sure she's quite ready to drop to four feeds, nevermind three!

Each baby is different! I think you'll know when she's ready to drop a bottle! Or if you give milk with her solids, maybe switch to water instead! My lo is 10 months n she still has 4, sometimes 5 bottles a day! One when she wakes, at 11, 3/4 n bedtime!

Forgot to say they were 6oz bottles!

Those cheesy lentil wedges sound nice Roesy, how do you make them?

As for bottles, my little man has two 7oz and two 5oz. (7am, 11am, 5pm and 8pm) Very often he won't drink much from the evening 5oz after a big dinner, so I'm thinking of dropping it and increasing his 11am bottle to 7oz.

nikpmup wrote: »
    Those cheesy lentil wedges sound nice Roesy, how do you make them?

As for bottles, my little man has two 7oz and two 5oz. (7am, 11am, 5pm and 8pm) Very often he won't drink much from the evening 5oz after a big dinner, so I'm thinking of dropping it and increasing his 11am bottle to 7oz.

Here you go!
    http://littlepeoplerecipes.wordpress.com/2012/06/12/cheese-lentil-wedges/

We had another 4 bottle day today. Maybe she is ready to drop one.

She is going to turn into a piece of bread. Made meatballs and pasta tonight. She crankily took a couple of bites of it and a couple of pieces of fusilli but then she devoured a bit of garlic bread. She's like Gollum with his precious when she gets her hands on a bit of toast!

Here you go!
    http://littlepeoplerecipes.wordpress.com/2012/06/12/cheese-lentil-wedges/

We had another 4 bottle day today. Maybe she is ready to drop one.

She is going to turn into a piece of bread. Made meatballs and pasta tonight. She crankily took a couple of bites of it and a couple of pieces of fusilli but then she devoured a bit of garlic bread. She's like Gollum with his precious when she gets her hands on a bit of toast!

That recipe looks lovely! Id eat it myself. Great blog too.

• Advertisement

It does sound nice! Must have a proper look at the blog when I have a few hours! Roesy, again with our kids... my man is a garlic bread machine!

Advertisement