Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weaning Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Our little girl always preferred an open cup. We used end up taking the lids off sippy cups to drink any amount so we got a doidy a few months ago and she's flying with it. Can be a little messy so we don't tend to use it when we are out and about. She will drink from one particular tommee tippee one too so we use that when we're out. Tried the nuby with the silicon top but she used just chew on it. Found it a bit big too. Haven't used it in a while. Might try it again later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

We tried 4 different types of sippy cups, all with different style teats, no joy. However, whenever he sees me with a normal cup he tries to grab it and when I put it up to his mouth, he drinks fine out of it. Pity he's not strong enough to hold it :( We're trying to get him used to the doidy cup at the moment but he's not gone on the feeling of the plastic in his mouth.

We tried 4 different types of sippy cups, all with different style teats, no joy. However, whenever he sees me with a normal cup he tries to grab it and when I put it up to his mouth, he drinks fine out of it. Pity he's not strong enough to hold it :( We're trying to get him used to the doidy cup at the moment but he's not gone on the feeling of the plastic in his mouth.

Just hold the doidy. The strength will come with time. The handles on it aren't the easiest either. We'd still occasionally have to hold a sippy for my 9 month old if she's feeling lazy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I always have to hold the sippy cup. She can grab the handles and bring it to her mouth but she's not got yet that she needs to tip it back!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

My lad uses this cup with a fair degree of success, but I do have to hold it for him. It doesn't have to be sucked for the liquid to come out, any cups I tried with a valve he refused point blank. I use this nuby cup out and about as it doesn't leak, it has a soft silicone spout.

• Advertisement

nikpmup wrote: »
    My lad uses this cup with a fair degree of success, but I do have to hold it for him. It doesn't have to be sucked for the liquid to come out, any cups I tried with a valve he refused point blank. I use this nuby cup out and about as it doesn't leak, it has a soft silicone spout.

That first one is the one she uses herself successfully. We have the same nuby one too but I think it's a little big. Tried her with it again this evening but she's definitely better with the doidy or the other one. The fact that it doesn't leak is handy though.

Roesy wrote: »
    That first one is the one she uses herself successfully. We have the same nuby one too but I think it's a little big. Tried her with it again this evening but she's definitely better with the doidy or the other one. The fact that it doesn't leak is handy though.

Of course they have the same cups!

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭kknitter

Hi all,

Quite few weeks now that baba has started on solids, started with purees. He is still having purees. I tried making rice a bit coarser but he doesn't like it and never eats it, but if I purée the same thing he will have it. He doesn't have any tooth yet. Would I be making purees for long period now 😔. Have I given him a bad habit? Not sure how should I get him to eat it. Is it that he will create a fuss since he is not used to it or should I wait few more weeks for coarse stuff. I m afraid he won't have dinner like us for long period now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

My public health nurse was very adamant that babies should only be on completely smooth stuff for a few weeks until they learn how to swallow. she gave me a big lecture at our 3 month meet up!
    Our fella was on smooth stuff for about 3 weeks, but it would just run off his tongue and out his mouth if he put his head forward so we moved to lumpier stuff pretty quickly so it would grip to his tongue. its all still kind of smooth just with bits.
    I make most of his food myself, but take the lead on texture from the small bit of supermarket baby food we buy for his age group.

I suppose it depends how old your baby is and how long a few weeks really is??

You could try him on porridge which is smooth but still a little lumpy? or I like some of the fruity pots for little lumps too. to test him out.

If he has no teeth, he cant chew and so cant really have big lumps.

Also my little sister hated lumps from day 1 and still hates them. No idea why as my mum weaned us all the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭kknitter

My public health nurse was very adamant that babies should only be on completely smooth stuff for a few weeks until they learn how to swallow. she gave me a big lecture at our 3 month meet up!
    Our fella was on smooth stuff for about 3 weeks, but it would just run off his tongue and out his mouth if he put his head forward so we moved to lumpier stuff pretty quickly so it would grip to his tongue. its all still kind of smooth just with bits.
    I make most of his food myself, but take the lead on texture from the small bit of supermarket baby food we buy for his age group.

I suppose it depends how old your baby is and how long a few weeks really is??

You could try him on porridge which is smooth but still a little lumpy? or I like some of the fruity pots for little lumps too. to test him out.

If he has no teeth, he cant chew and so cant really have big lumps.

Also my little sister hated lumps from day 1 and still hates them. No idea why as my mum weaned us all the same!

Thank you very dori_dormer. Few weeks is 6 weeks to be precise. Is it too much on purees? I have made the food a bit on lumpier side but still kind where can directly swallow n need not chew. But it is textured rather than complete smooth. Don't know whether should I be worried.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Babies chew with their gums. Baby led weaning involves giving pieces and chunks of food from 6 months. I did it on both of mine and they had very little problem managing the food. The gag reflex of a baby under 10 months is at the front of their mouth so they may gag, even vomit and have watery bulgy eyes when they're given lumpier food. This is normal and isn't a sign that the baby is choking.

Purées are only needed for babies under 6 months as their tongue thrust is still active. This is where a baby keeps sticking his tongue out so the puréed food falls out. It's an evolutionary survival mechanism to make sure nothing but milk gets in.

I'd say if your baby is over 6 months skip purées and move to fork mashed lumpier textures so they get used to the feeling if it while their gag reflex is still at the front. This means if they don't like the texture they'll just spit it out. The gag reflex moves further back in the mouth around 10 months.

The odd bit of food we buy our fella in the 7-9 month range is only textured no real lumps. I make our baby food a little more lumpy, just not blending it as much, tiny bits of brocolli, carrot still in it.

Have you started on chicken or fish? that kind of leaves natural lumpy bits.

Also would suggest as How Strange said, might be good to give some finger food too. Carrot / celery sticks, liga, etc to get her used to not gagging?

I've made a massive sort-of lamb tagine for the wee lad. I put onions, garlic and carrots into a big cast iron dish and fried them in a little olive oil. I then added diced lamb, and a half teaspoon each of ground cumin, smoked paprika and ground coriander and browned the lamb. I then added a tin of tomatoes, the same amount of baby vegetable stock, a squeeze of tomato puree, and a handful of dried apricots and brought to a simmer. Left it simmering slowly for a bit, then added some chopped aubergine and courgette, put the lid on and transferred it to a very low oven (about 120-150°) for a couple of hours. It's frikkin delicious! Sweet and very mildly spiced, and the lamb is so tender. I'll be freezing some in pots for the baby, but I'll be nicking a bit and adding some more spices and a little chilli for myself and himself. It'd be lovely with some lemony, herby couscous and some falafel and hummus.

Does anyone know what can be done with polenta :D I made some the other day; when it was cooked I mixed in a little cheese and made it into patties. He seemed to like them (although it was messy!) but I was wondering if there was any other way of preparing it? It's a bit bland by itself; is there any way of injecting a little flavour into it?

I've made a massive sort-of lamb tagine for the wee lad. I put onions, garlic and carrots into a big cast iron dish and fried them in a little olive oil. I then added diced lamb, and a half teaspoon each of ground cumin, smoked paprika and ground coriander and browned the lamb. I then added a tin of tomatoes, the same amount of baby vegetable stock, a squeeze of tomato puree, and a handful of dried apricots and brought to a simmer. Left it simmering slowly for a bit, then added some chopped aubergine and courgette, put the lid on and transferred it to a very low oven (about 120-150°) for a couple of hours. It's frikkin delicious! Sweet and very mildly spiced, and the lamb is so tender. I'll be freezing some in pots for the baby, but I'll be nicking a bit and adding some more spices and a little chilli for myself and himself. It'd be lovely with some lemony, herby couscous and some falafel and hummus.

Does anyone know what can be done with polenta :D I made some the other day; when it was cooked I mixed in a little cheese and made it into patties. He seemed to like them (although it was messy!) but I was wondering if there was any other way of preparing it? It's a bit bland by itself; is there any way of injecting a little flavour into it?

Ive never tasted even half of what youve mentioned, but a) it sounds yummy and b) NOW I WANT FALAFEL!!!!!!

The bit I saved for myself was gorgeous :D I added in a dash of cayenne pepper and a little more cumin and coriander. I didn't bother with the falafel in the end, I hadn't got the ingredients and I was starving! I hope the wee man thinks it's nice - the lamb was so tender I was able to mash it with a fork.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolademmers

Nikpump you're some woman for the recipes! Would that work in a slow cooker I wonder?

Nikpump you're some woman for the recipes! Would that work in a slow cooker I wonder?

I'd say it'd be perfect in a slow cooker, you want the meat nice and tender. Leave the veg in big chunks so it doesn't disintegrate. I should have thrown in a tin of chickpeas as well!

that sounds delish!

With polenta do you add stock when you're cooking it? I usually put loads of herbs and roasted garlic through it as well as any roasted veg. When you made the patty did you fry it off? You can also cut it into strips and fry them to make em into 'chips'.

kandr10 wrote: »
    that sounds delish!

With polenta do you add stock when you're cooking it? I usually put loads of herbs and roasted garlic through it as well as any roasted veg. When you made the patty did you fry it off? You can also cut it into strips and fry them to make em into 'chips'.

I fried some of them, but he preferred them just rolled into patties! I must try that with the veg and garlic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Sweet Rose

Can anyone tell me when should I cut out formula milk completely? It's only in the last month that I've got my baby drinking out of a cup properly so I didn't introduce cows milk until the last few weeks. She's still on 2 bottles of formula now at 13 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

Sweet Rose wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me when should I cut out formula milk completely? It's only in the last month that I've got my baby drinking out of a cup properly so I didn't introduce cows milk until the last few weeks. She's still on 2 bottles of formula now at 13 months.

Anytime after 12 months is fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

Just tried eggs for the first time with my nine-month-old ... he was NOT impressed! First time he's ever refused anything I've given him. You should have seen the disgusted faces he was pulling, you'd swear I was trying to kill him!

Any serving suggestions that might hide the taste when I try again? I just did them poached and mushed up with some plain yoghurt on toast ... he loves yoghurt and toast, so I thought the familiar tastes might help, but no!

Just tried eggs for the first time with my nine-month-old ... he was NOT impressed! First time he's ever refused anything I've given him. You should have seen the disgusted faces he was pulling, you'd swear I was trying to kill him!

Any serving suggestions that might hide the taste when I try again? I just did them poached and mushed up with some plain yoghurt on toast ... he loves yoghurt and toast, so I thought the familiar tastes might help, but no!

My little gets the most horrified face when she touches scrambled egg, even on her beloved toast. She does like French toast(eggy bread) and omelette though. Haven't tried her with poached or boiled though because we usually eat them runny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

My little gets the most horrified face when she touches scrambled egg, even on her beloved toast. She does like French toast(eggy bread) and omelette though. Haven't tried her with poached or boiled though because we usually eat them runny.

Yeah it nearly killed me to ruin a perfectly good runny poached egg by cooking it solid! :D I'll try an omelette, he seems to love any sort of veg so that might work well!

On a related note, so far I've been adding no salt/seasoning at all to his meals ... what age can you start adding it? He gets his "main" meal cooked in creche, so I'm not actually sure whether they use seasoning but I'm pretty sure they don't. Would be very handy to get him eating what we're eating by now, it's just the seasoning that puts me off giving it to him! I guess we could just cook the meal and take his portion out before adding anything, I'm not sure it would taste as nice though if it wasn't cooked with it!

Yeah it nearly killed me to ruin a perfectly good runny poached egg by cooking it solid! :D I'll try an omelette, he seems to love any sort of veg so that might work well!

On a related note, so far I've been adding no salt/seasoning at all to his meals ... what age can you start adding it? He gets his "main" meal cooked in creche, so I'm not actually sure whether they use seasoning but I'm pretty sure they don't. Would be very handy to get him eating what we're eating by now, it's just the seasoning that puts me off giving it to him! I guess we could just cook the meal and take his portion out before adding anything, I'm not sure it would taste as nice though if it wasn't cooked with it!

It's 1g of salt per day for under 1's and 2g for 1-3 year olds. Think you multiply the sodium content by 2.5 to work out the salt content if the salt content isn't listed.
    She generally eats the same as us, or a less seasoned/spicy version. I just use the baby stock for certain dishes and with others that I can't adapt to taste nice for all of us then she'll just have something else from my freezer stash or maybe an Ella's or Plum dish or one of those things. There's a work around for most stuff I cook I find. We were having chicken quesadillas yesterday and I did just take her filling out of the pot and added the salt and more paprika then and cooked for a bit longer. I also added less cheese to hers. Don't think it made too much of a difference to that particular dish but some it would alright.

Thing is we're used to salt in our food. I figure the baby isn't so I give her unseasoned versions of ours all the time. Defo doesn't taste as nice to me but she doesn't know any different. Spices like coriander, cumin, turmeric etc give nice flavour though. Depends what you're cooking I guess!

kandr10 wrote: »
    Thing is we're used to salt in our food. I figure the baby isn't so I give her unseasoned versions of ours all the time. Defo doesn't taste as nice to me but she doesn't know any different. Spices like coriander, cumin, turmeric etc give nice flavour though. Depends what you're cooking I guess!

I don't really use a lot of salt in my cooking so generally it doesn't make much of a difference that way but I use a LOT of spice. I give her some spice but not to the level I like it. Afraid to aggravate her reflux. It's the salt in bread, cheese etc thats the killer. She loves both!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

We stopped adding salt to food and we got used to it very quickly. I'd still add a pinch or two to large batches of bolognaise etc but in general we don't use salt. I always put spices such as cumin, paprika, turmeric into their/our food so they get used to it.

We bought a jar of bolognaise sauce on holidays and it was far too salty.

For egg; eggy toast, hard boiled with lots of butter or omelettes are favourites here. I'm not mad about the texture of scrambled egg (it makes me feel a bit icky) but I love egg in all other ways and eat 2 every day for breakfast.

I don't really use a lot of salt in my cooking so generally it doesn't make much of a difference that way but I use a LOT of spice. I give her some spice but not to the level I like it. Afraid to aggravate her reflux. It's the salt in bread, cheese etc thats the killer. She loves both!

My lad too, I don't add salt to anything I make for him because of the salt in bread & cheese. I try to make sure he doesn't have both in the same day lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

With my first I added spices/herbs/pepper from 6 months just no added salt. Cajun in scrambled egg is a big hit here...

Advertisement