Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hidden tax?

Options
  • 22-08-2010 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

My family and I, 4 adults and 2 children, are insured by quinn-healthcare. During the week I got a letter requesting all our PPS numbers to 'assist them in paying the health insurance levy to the government'. Has anybody got any notion of what this is about? I'm not at all comfortable with my PPS number being involved with my health-care. Any comments?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

There is a government levy, which has driven up the insurance cost a fair bit this year.

€160 per adult and €53 per child

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

My family and I, 4 adults and 2 children, are insured by quinn-healthcare. During the week I got a letter requesting all our PPS numbers to 'assist them in paying the health insurance levy to the government'. Has anybody got any notion of what this is about? I'm not at all comfortable with my PPS number being involved with my health-care. Any comments?

This relates to a provision in last years budget, cannot remember all the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I paid the levy but the didn't ask for our PPS no.s

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

OP - the PPS number is your unique identifier, and if you're ever in the health care system, you will be asked for it. They go hand in hand.

Also, the PPS number is your unique identifier for tax purposes, so if your insurer is going to pay a tax on your behalf, then they need to know the number.

Advertisement