Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Half Marathon - September 18th

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Name|Target|Actual
    TipsyGypsy|2:23|
    Su Campu |2:20|
    kit3|2:20:00|
    Rasher_m|2:10|
    The Drifter|2:10:00|
    brophya2007|2:09:59|
    Racheljev|2:01:30|
    ShaneIRL|1:59:59|
    jcsmum|1:59:59|
    menoscemo|1:59:30(pacer)|
    RQ|1:59:30(pacer)|
    W.B. Yeats |1:59:30|
    claralara|1:59:30|
    scargill|1:59:30|
    ROF|1:59:30|
    Rainbow Kirby|1:58|
    Mike D|1:58|
    geld|1:58|
    William72|1:54:59|
    DigiJem|1:53|
    fletch|1:50|
    osnola ivax|1:49|
    sideswipe|1:49|
    Milosh|1:49:59|
    RayCun|1:49:59| 1.48.34
    HuntingDrog|1:49:59|
    Digger2d2|1:49:59|
    Oisin11178|1.49.30 pacer|
    xebec|1:44:59|
    itsall true|1:44:59|
    Peckham|1:39:59 (pacer)|
    Tippmanrunning|1:39:59|
    Jackyback|1:39:59|
    Hawkwing|1:39:59|
    Aimman|1:39:59|
    LeCheile|1:39:59 (pacer)|
    Plodder|1:39:59|
    macinalli|1:39:59|
    gerard65|1:39:59|
    flying_scotsman|1:39:59|
    Ronnie085|1:35:59|
    EMPM|1:34:59|
    cwgatling|1:34:59|
    mathie|1:32:30|
    RAL3|1:32:00|
    seres|1:29.59|
    jlang|1:30:00|
    MisterDrak|1:29:59|
    NeedsTraining|1:29:59|
    figs|1:29:59|
    ecoli|1:29:59 (pacer)|
    Krusty_Clown|1:29:59 (pacer)|
    James Howlett|1:29:28|
    daymobrew|1:29:00|1:27:10
    brianderunner|1:28:30|
    Art of Noise |1:27:59|
    another world |1:26:59|
    robinph|1:25:00|1:23:33
    Lex Luther|1:23:30|
    smmoore79|1:20:00|
    Tunguska|1:13:59|

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭plodder

I hope it stays in the park too. Apart from anything else, moving it into the city would raise the cost quite a bit. And, the congestion wasn't that bad where I was at least.

Interestingly, just looking at the results page, it looks like there were 5,722 finishers. I'd guess most of the difference (up to the 8,000) were people who didn't start. Though I suppose they have to plan for the amount that enters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Really enjoyed the day yesterday. Paced 1.50 and came in at 1.49.15. Good bit of craic along the way and even better in ryans afterwards:D

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭iMac Hunt

Hey everyone, ran my second half marathon yesterday in a time of 02:00:40, seven mins faster than last year so am well happy. Did anyone hear the announcer say before the start that it wasn't really a half marathon today, that they had measured the course at 13.5 miles instead 13.1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,541 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

iMac Hunt wrote: »
    Hey everyone, ran my second half marathon yesterday in a time of 02:00:40, seven mins faster than last year so am well happy. Did anyone hear the announcer say before the start that it wasn't really a half marathon today, that they had measured the course at 13.5 miles instead 13.1?
    Yeah, someone mentioned that to me while we were waiting for the race to begin. Gave me a bit of a shock, as I wasn't sure how to plan a pacing strategy around a course that may or may not be long. Thankfully the distance was spot-on.

• Advertisement

rasher_m wrote: »
    Anyway, I'm hoping to run the Galway Bay one in two weeks and am wondering how much time I could knock off this time as the course is supposedly totally flat?
    Hi rasher_m, I know it felt like a tough hilly course, but it's not significantly hilly, so I wouldn't think that a perfectly flat course will make a huge amount of difference. Maybe a minute or two, if you're not too strong on the hills.

The most important thing to do is recover properly from this half marathon, and make sure you're well rested for your next challenge in two weeks time. Best of luck!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Did anyone hear the announcer say before the start that it wasn't really a half marathon today, that they had measured the course at 13.5 miles instead 13.1?

Nope, but I did hear him going on about Agincourt which had me more than a little confused. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,534 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Just after the second water stop (right before the 7 mile marker) I saw some gel sachet litter - if those who consumed those gels managed to carry them for 7 miles, surely they could have carried the empty packets another 6 to the finish line.

Hopefully the volunteers picking up empty water cups saw and picked the sachets up.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I only took one of my gels on the way round and went and dropped it around the 6 mile mark. Then felt guilty and stupid about not having carried it as far as the next waterstop and put it in my empty cup. I managed to do that in Rotterdam, but for some reason yesterday I was in stupid mode. I'd even seen other gels packets on the road earlier on the route and wondered why people had dropped them there. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

runrabbit wrote: »
    No happy story for me unfortunately, though I was within 9 minutes of going sub-2. My first half marathon ended in the St. Johns ambulance tent!

Stuck like glue to the 2hr pacers for the first 11 miles, dropped back a few metres on the climb out of the furry glen but they were still in my sights when I reached the 12 mile marker and I knew that they weren't more than 10 seconds ahead. The pacers were great - had a brief word with menescemo, and also met some other lovely people to chat to in the group. Sometime shortly after 12 miles it all went wrong. My legs stopped working, everything went black, and I came around briefly to some girls trying to help me. I think at this point I tried to walk on, and I was telling the girls to go on and not to mind me, but they wouldn't hear of it. Whoever you are, thank you so much, as I took a couple of minutes off your time.

I woke again briefly on the grass and someone was saying that I was freezing, then I woke again in the ambulance, blacked out again and woke finally in the tent, on oxygen and lots of monitors. A scary and confusing finish to my race, which seems to have been caused by a stomach bug which has since manifested itself. I'm running a temp now and sitting on a very bruised bum in bed sipping water.

I just wanted to log on in the hopes that anyone who helped me sees this - I'm fine now and thank you so so much for your kindness. Thanks also to the St. Johns Ambulance gang who were just fantastic.

It was a disappointing end to months of training - but - these things happen. I'm not going to let it get me down too much, I'll concentrate on shorter distances for the winter, and who knows, I may be back next year! Maybe!

WELL DONE TO EVERYONE ON THE FANTASTIC TIMES!

Really sorry to hear this. I am really shocked because I remember chatting to you after 11 miles and I have to say you looked really fresh.

I really enjoyed pacing yesterday, it ws my first time doing this but hopefully not my last. Had great craic going round the course. Sorry to anyone whose ears I burned off. Finished alongside RQ in 1:59:22. 8 seconds ahead of target over 13.1 miles is not too bad I think. Th only blip was losing a baloon in the first mile after mine and RQ's got tangled. Thankfully we still managed knock out a 9 minute mile :). Thnaks to all those who helped us disentagle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jinka

Good race, shame the second half of the course was so badly designed. No need for silly tight turns in a half marathon and it felt like they really struggled trying to get a route for this race. I really think it's time the race series came out of the park and a new route found with one mass start.If the format continues as is the series will get stale. At worst design a new route for the half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

video below I done just after a mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭sarsfieldsrock

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Really enjoyed the day yesterday. Paced 1.50 and came in at 1.49.15. Good bit of craic along the way and even better in ryans afterwards:D

I heard that you were lucky not to be thrown out.:D

This was a very well organised race. The only fault is the narrow footpaths coming down Chesterfield the second time. Even if most people did run single file it is still too crowded.
    The wave starts really help the congestion but it still seems like there are way too many optimistic people out there. Or else they need a 1:40 - 1:50 wave. I started in the second wave and found the first 3 miles a bit of a pain for the amount of people I had to dodge around.
    I would still prefer the race to remain in the park. They have limited the entry so they shouldn't need to move.

I ran 1:43:35 which was a PB for me. I was delighted with that as I had set 1:50 as a realistic time after the Dingle Ultra. I wasn't sure how the legs would respond. But I went off in front of the pacers and felt really good so I decided to run and see how I got on. All sub 8 miles bar the last two.
    The only problem now is that I had been planning to target a sub 1:45 in the Royal Parks Half in London in October. Now it looks like I will have to target 1:40 instead.

It was good to meet everybody in Ryans afterwards. Almost everybody, apart from the pacers, had set PB's and was in great form. Not much attempt was being made to rehydrate correctly though and I am feeling the affects this morning. Lucky I got out when I did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭figs

A really enjoyable race yesterday... all credits to the organisers.

I thought it was obvious from the very beginning that they were determined to start on time. The announcers were encouraging people to move towards the start line at least 25 minutes before the race, which certainly helped get it started bang on time.

My thanks to the 1:30 pacers who did a fantastic job. I stayed with them to the 6 mile mark, and they hit every mile on the button. At 6 mile I was feeling comfortable, so decided I'd run my own race from there. Delighed with my time of 1:28:57... I'd never have thought at the beginning of this year that I'd run a sub-1:30 half. Just shows that this training lark must really work! :D

Thought the whole race was really well organised, and went really smoothly. The only grumbles I'd have (and they're very minor) it the use of cups rather than bottles, and the sharp bends. The atmosphere, crowds, goodie bags, stand-by personnel, baggage storage and toilet facilities were all first class (as portaloos go!).

The Phoenix Park is a great place to host a race, and would be a shame to lose it as a venue. However, I understand the narrow tracks, sharp bends and large numbers of people does lead to congestion, which was apparent at some points. The success of the race series may be it's downfall... I think moving it to the city centre may increase the cost (significantly), which in turn may deter the crowds from entering. Limiting the numbers taking part in the race may be able to keep it in the park, but obviously may not maximise the commercial potential. I guess it's one for the organisers to chew on for the next few months.

Well done to all who ran yesterday. Some great PB's there. Unfortunately, had to split early... our sons first birthday party was on yesterday, so I had to fly to get things organised... 26 adults / 14 kids in a house on a rainy day was great craic! Ended in rushing to the hospital with the little fella, but thankfully was nothing too serious... what a busy day!!

w00t, I'm in the video at about 3:03, thanks for that.

Surprised how big the gaps at the front were so early on, but you could see the crowds were a lot bigger around the balloons at that point on the course even.

jinka wrote: »
    Good race, shame the second half of the course was so badly designed. No need for silly tight turns in a half marathon and it felt like they really struggled trying to get a route for this race.
    It is a struggle to get a 13.1 mile route within the confines of the Phoenix Park.

Can you draw out a half marathon course with a better second half - use Gmaps Pedometer.

Keep in mind that the finish line must be on a road not used during the race - otherwise the early finishers may interfere with the walkers and slower runners.

PS In 2008 the finish line was on White's Road, the road to Farmleigh. This involved a sharp left very close to the end - made a good sprint finish difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Name|Target|Actual
    ShaneIRL|1:59:59|
    RayCun|1:49:59| 1.48.34
    Digger2d2|1:49:59|1:45:18
    daymobrew|1:29:00|1:27:10
    robinph|1:25:00|1:23:33

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

daymobrew wrote: »
    It is a struggle to get a 13.1 mile route within the confines of the Phoenix Park.
    Can you draw out a half marathon course with a better second half - use Gmaps Pedometer.

Well, running down the road instead of the footpath at mile 6 would have been a big improvement.
    And ditto in mile 13, but I suppose if that stretch of road was going to be used 3 times it could have caused problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭figs

figs wrote: »
    At 6 mile I was feeling comfortable, so decided I'd run my own race from there.

A clarification... when I said I decided to leave the pacers and run my own race, I did of course mean that I used donothoponpop as a windbreaker for almost three miles, and then run my own race... :D

daymobrew wrote: »

Keep in mind that the finish line must be on a road not used during the race - otherwise the early finishers may interfere with the walkers and slower runners.

PS In 2008 the finish line was on White's Road, the road to Farmleigh. This involved a sharp left very close to the end - made a good sprint finish difficult.

Doesn't make as much use of Chesterfield Avenue, but gets the hills and windy bit out of the way earlier in the race, and only a couple of sharp turns, but no footpaths.
    http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=4050915

Not perfect from an organisational point of view, or for the Zoo, but that's my quick attempt.

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    Well, running down the road instead of the footpath at mile 6 would have been a big improvement.
    Doing this would interfere with access to the zoo and the car park on Lord's Walk. The car park normally opens at 10am (zoo opens at 9:30am). Using Chesterfield Ave and Lord's Walk once already delayed the opening of the car park until 11 or even later.

One might think that using the full triangle at Chapelizod Gate (not that we need the extra hill) would be an option but I assume that it impacts access to the hospital. By going straight across Acres Road at the Military Road, cars only had to cross a few metres of the race route.

Read the interview with the race director - he mentions having to accommodate "thousands of residents living in the vicinity of the park, the two hospitals and not forgetting the hundred or so residents/rangers/employees that live within the park itself". It has got to be tough.

PS Note that Merrion Hotel and Burlington Hotel are on the left of the above map :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

figs wrote: »
    A clarification... when I said I decided to leave the pacers and run my own race, I did of course mean that I used donothoponpop as a windbreaker for almost three miles, and then run my own race... :D
    :DI was using the two lads in front of me for shelter. They seemed pissed off after a couple of miles, and obviously moved aside. No problem, just kept on motoring...
    I let you go when you upped the pace about 10 miles, you opened a fair gap, good running by you. Worked a bit on the last mile to narrow the gap, but you were pretty strong in the final straight, passed a heap of runners. Nice run!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 sd2002

Did anyone hear the announcer say before the start that it wasn't really a half marathon today, that they had measured the course at 13.5 miles instead 13.1?

Yes! I thought I heard him say that about an hour before the race - nearly had a heart attack!:eek: I think he corrected himself later though - but kept saying "it's not a half anything" (to emphasise that it was legitimate distance in its own right) but it was a confusing thing to say IMO.

Twas my first Half - ran just under 1:35 (on fairly low mileage training plan) so hope to up the mileage and aim for sub-90 for next HM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

Hi folks, well done everyone on yesterday, looks like loads of people had a really great day.
    Is anyone else missing from the results page? Ive tried using the search tool with my name and my number and it just says no result found. I also went through the pages manually and Im pretty sure Im not listed:(. I noticed also that there are less than 6000 results up but there was supposed to be 8000 runners, so I wonder if they havent got them all up yet - seems unlikely since they were so quick getting the 5000+ others up.
    It was a really tough day for me, more mentally than physically and I came very close to throwing in the towel halfway around when my knee gave up on me, I couldnt run with the pain, but was able to walk, so I walked the remaining 7 miles and I would really like to have an official time for my trouble!!! Anyway, just wondered if anyone else was missing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

That's awful runrabbit. I hope you recover really quickly, and hope it wont put you off trying again the next time. Remember, if you can make it to 12 miles with a stomach bug, you'll absolutely fly the half marathon the next time, when you don't.

Cheers Krusty, I think I'll be sticking to shorter distances for the winter but I might tackle it again next year!
    Jayny Mack runrabbit, you really haven't had any luck, hope you are ok now, that's not funny, nice to hear about the people who stopped to help you, good luck with your future training, and apologies if I sounded too forceful on your log, maybe I didn't understand what you were going through

You didn't sound forceful at all, I was well on my way to going sub-2 and on another day I would have made it! Thanks for the good wishes!
    scargill wrote: »
    i was following two hour pacers too and lost them around 9 miles. I do remember passing you on the ground. I assumed the girls with you were friends of yours looking after you. fair play to them.

No just very kind strangers. To stop at that stage in a race and help someone for that long is just so selfless.
    menoscemo wrote: »
    Really sorry to hear this. I am really shocked because I remember chatting to you after 11 miles and I have to say you looked really fresh.
    I felt really strong right up until 10-seconds before I dropped. It was all very strange how it happened. Thanks to you and RQ for getting me there anyway, by mile 12 I had dropped around 10 seconds back!

Feeling somewhat better today though stiff and a bit cut and bruised - I was too out of it yesterday to realise. Well done to everyone, sounds like PBs all round! I got a 10-mile PB yesterday so that's something to celebrate:D

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Ruarl Runner

Big thanks and well done to the pacers for sub 1:40 (Peckham & LeCheile). Decided to stay approx 5-10 yards behind the pacers for the most part of the race as it was pretty crowded directly behind them. They encouraged everyone and hit the miles bang on schedule. Felt pretty good and joined the two lads around the 11 mile mark and engaged in a brief conversation with them where I was duely informed that if I was still able to talk that I should go ahead and get a sub 1:39 ;). I left the guys at 11.5 miles and finished a couple of seconds under 1:38....:D:D:D

Met Peckham at the end and said thanks, didn't see LeCheile. Again well done and thanks lads, probably the most comfortable half marathon I have ever run and I still managed to take over 3 & 1/2 minutes off the previous PB

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Almac06

Oisin11178 wrote: »

Well done to all, really enjoyed the race. Finished just under 1Hr35 so really happy, target was under 1Hr38. Started out beside the 1HR 40 pacers and they were excellent, getting their fellow runners going and motivating them. Only for I has personal targets I would loved to have stayed with them but I ran on.

Friend of mine ran with the 1Hr50 pacers (He done Warriors in Sligo last Month, hoping for 4HR Marathon). He finished race on such a high, pacers told him to run on at mile 12 and he came in just over 1Hr48 which he was thrilled with. He got lots of advice and encouragement for the Marathon and came away after yesterday alot more confident and will be aligning himself beside the 4Hr Marathon in October. He asked me to say thanks to both 1:50 pacers and to thank them for their help advice and encouragement.

Well done to all the pacers who sacrificed their own races/ times to help others.....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Tipp man running

Well done to everyone that finished the race yesterday, fantastic to see so many people out there and such a great atmosphere. It's a shame numbers will have to be limited to keep it in the park as i can see it growing even futher with word of mouth, all postive comments about it. Came up from Tipp for it and wasn't dissappointed, well organised and great goodie bag, well worth the entrance fee.
    On a personnal note finished in a time of 1.42, while not below my target of 1.40 it was good none the less as i started right at the very back. Was still in line for the toilets when the third wave was off so was held back big time trying to pass the runners with less ambitious times. First mile was only 9.14 where i'd normally be about 7.30 so spent the rest of the race playing catch up. Anyway my fault for leaving it so late to go to the toilet.
    Looking forward to the full marathon in 5 weeks and hope to see alot of the same faces again for a chat. Well done to anyone finishing their first half marathon, hopefully it'll be the first of many.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Hi rasher_m, I know it felt like a tough hilly course, but it's not significantly hilly, so I wouldn't think that a perfectly flat course will make a huge amount of difference. Maybe a minute or two, if you're not too strong on the hills.

The most important thing to do is recover properly from this half marathon, and make sure you're well rested for your next challenge in two weeks time. Best of luck!

Thx Crusty but with the way everyone was discussing the hills beforehand you would think it was;)
    Anyway, I dont think I'll improve much in two weeks but at least I know what I'm getting into.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 al12345

great race , thanks to the pacers.
    anyone know why i get an N/A for chip time ?
    i dont see how i can get a finish time - so my chip worked , but no chip time!

al12345 wrote: »
    Perhaps it didn't record your starting time, so the time you've been given is from gun to finish. Does the time look right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 al12345

yep its about right according to my own timing , just wondering how it happened, ta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Yeah I had a few friends running the race and their names don't come up on the results even though they did finish the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Same here

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭ShaneIRL

Name|Target|Actual
    ShaneIRL|1:59:59|1:45:52|
    RayCun|1:49:59| 1.48.34|
    Digger2d2|1:49:59|1:45:18|
    daymobrew|1:29:00|1:27:10|
    robinph|1:25:00|1:23:33|

Very happy with my time on the day. The week before training was going ok but had never ran more than 12K so my initial Sub 2hr estimate was my goal but on the day I was feeling fresh and stayed with the 1:50 pacers for the first 6 miles. After the 6 mile mark I was still feeling fresh so from there I just pushed on a bit and came in at 1:45:52. Thrilled. Just mulling it over in my head now whether il sign up for the full in October.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭mathie

Target 1:32:30
    Actual 1:30:29

Slightly confused now as I'm very happy to beat my target but then again it was a stupid target to aim for. I should have been aiming sub-90 minute but my training was minimal so I have to be happy with it.

Although I think the main thing holding me back was that I was playing a football match at 3 that day :)
    I did manage to score in it so a great day all round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭Fitzilicious

Thanks to the sub 140 pacers...kept me going strong through the tough bits!
    Caught up to the pacers around mile 5 and stuck with them until the end!
    Helped me to a half marathon PB!
    Great job by them and their encouragement really kept me going!

Still trying to decide re the marathon!
    Will the pacers be doing the same again?

There's a note on the website

"Correction to Results from Half Marathon
    posted by Jim Aughney at 07:48PM, Sun, Sep 19, 2010

15 people have a the same clock and chip time after yesterdays event. We are working to correct this and will updated the times as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience."

Different issue, but maybe it's worth checking again. If it's not fixed, then you should probably get in touch with them. It sounds like an IT glitch in your case.

[edit]Just occurred to me, that this could happen if the timing mats failed to register your chip at the start. Unfortunate, if that was the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭EMPM

Target 1:34:59
    Actual 1:36:45

Even though i didnt get my target time im still happy enough. 1:36:45 is a pb, 3 mins faster than my last half.

The last 3 miles i found tough, probably the lack of distance training as my legs all of a sudden felt very heavy. I was on track to reach my goal up till mile 10. Ill get it next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭itsalltrue

Target 1:39:59
    Actual 1:38:18

delighted with this. Had a bad week training the week before and this has given me extra confidence for the DCM. I had loads in the tank for the hills on the back of the course and i was really able to push through. I was 10 minutes quicker than last year and felt good when i passed the line.

Hopefully will complete a 21 mile run next weekend.

I rang them a few minutes ago as Im getting no result either. Lady on the phone is passing details of any problems onto the timing people and said they will give me a call back. Wouldnt do any harm to give them a call and let them know you've had a problem too. If nearly 8000 people were registered and the have less 6000 results up there must be some technical issues going on. - I cant imagine over 2000 registered and didnt do it, a few hundred maybe, but not 2000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭Peckham

Thanks to the sub 140 pacers...kept me going strong through the tough bits!
    Caught up to the pacers around mile 5 and stuck with them until the end!
    Helped me to a half marathon PB!
    Great job by them and their encouragement really kept me going!

Still trying to decide re the marathon!
    Will the pacers be doing the same again?

Thanks Fitzilicious. As one of the sub-140 pacers, it's nice to hear the encouragement was appreciated. I felt like a bit of a spanner at times trying to do my Mr Motivator impersonation!

I'm due to be pacing the marathon also (sub-3:30). Hopefully that's enough to help you decide to run it! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Tipsygypsy wrote: »
    I rang them a few minutes ago as Im getting no result either. Lady on the phone is passing details of any problems onto the timing people and said they will give me a call back. Wouldnt do any harm to give them a call and let them know you've had a problem too. If nearly 8000 people were registered and the have less 6000 results up there must be some technical issues going on. - I cant imagine over 2000 registered and didnt do it, a few hundred maybe, but not 2000.
    "Over 6,000 runners will descend on Phoenix Park on Saturday 21 August, for the Lifestyle Sports-adidas Frank Duffy 10 mile race." ==4901 finished,always lots less seem to finish it seems,last year was similar in the 3 races.

hawkwing wrote: »
    "Over 6,000 runners will descend on Phoenix Park on Saturday 21 August, for the Lifestyle Sports-adidas Frank Duffy 10 mile race." ==4901 finished,always lots less seem to finish it seems,last year was similar in the 3 races.

Im honestly astounded that THAT many people sign up and then dont do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Target 1:29:59
    Actual 1:28:46

Pretty happy with that result. Was going to run with the 1:30 pacers, but entered wave1 pretty early (9:45am), and as a result i was only about 3 rows from the start line, on the left, with the pacers about 30 yards behind me before the start. My race strategy was to stay ahead of the 1:30 group as long as possible, and if they did over take, then tuck in and hold on to the finish.

Started out with a few 6:30 miles, which at about mile 4 (the chesterfield loop section) i was about 300/400 yards ahead of the pacers, which i was pretty happy about. The rest of chesterfield as fine, i felt i was flying, but the going got tough on the Kiber, with the wind and the rain also starting. At the furry glen the going was very hard, I didnt have accurate timing, at that stage as the garmin had packed up.

Still, very happy with the result, and two day off running. The Finishing time points to a 3:05 marathon in 5 weeks (Daniels). Cant believe that is possible... But going to give it everything... :D:D:D

Tipsygypsy wrote: »
    Im honestly astounded that THAT many people sign up and then dont do it.
    isn't there a similar rule of thumb for airline bookings, and weddings? :pac: There's always a certain percentage that don't turn up for whatever reason ..

it could be in your case the chip was faulty or maybe it registered at the start but not at the finish. For al12345 it may have been the other way round, which would be why he got a "gun" time, but no "chip" time. It's annoying though either way. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

Hi guapos, making up 10 minutes during a half marathon and switching from one pacing group to another would be a very significant undertaking. If you're still feeling strong after mile 10-11 then push on past the 1:50 pacers, but I wouldn't expect to try and catch up with the 1:40 pacers who will have opened quite a gap (more than a mile towards the end of the race), even if both groups did start in the same wave.

Started at the very back of the 1.40 pacers wave as i was feeling really good on saturday morning but didnt want to hold anyone up.

For the first 7 miles i ran 7.45 to 8 min miles, overtook a good few people and was feeling full of energy. After the first hill i could feel my energy drain and the rest of the race was a nightmare, I was close to stopping for a walk a good few times but talked myself out of it.

I've never had so many people overtake me in a race before. Struggled over the line in 1.48 a minute slower than Achill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭sickpuppy32

happy with my 131 minutes but boy was it tough! Pased away nicely at 9 minute miles until I hit the first hill, that long flat stretch around the old military fort was a soul destoyer! Passed a poor girl who had collasped at around the 12 and half mile mark, hope she was ok in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

1.59.17 for me! Just under the 2 hours which I am pleased with. Ran 2.03 in the Kildare half so a PB for me in my second ever race.

I started out between the 1.50 and 2.00 pacers, hoping to keep with the 1.50 as long as possible but the crowds meant that unless you started quite close to them it was hard to stay in touch so just continued on with my friend at a steady pace. Could often see the green baloons up ahead for the first half but wasn't too concerned about that. Forgot to charge my garmin so it died at 11miles! At 12 miles on I could hear the announcer saying it was coming up to 2hours and was abit disappointed I would miss it but tried to push a little harder. Finshed at 2.03.47 (I think) on the clock which confused me as I hadn't seen the 2hour pacers for the whole race. Was delighted that my chip was just under the two hours.
    I presume that the 2 hour pacers finished just behind me then!

I really want to move on now for my next half marathon, maybe Kildare again but seems quite far away. I must start running at a higher pace 8min miles now if I can in training and aim for under 1.50.

• Advertisement
Advertisement