Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Half Marathon - September 18th

15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭Fitzilicious

Peckham wrote: »
    Thanks Fitzilicious. As one of the sub-140 pacers, it's nice to hear the encouragement was appreciated. I felt like a bit of a spanner at times trying to do my Mr Motivator impersonation!

I'm due to be pacing the marathon also (sub-3:30). Hopefully that's enough to help you decide to run it! ;)

I say keep up the Mr Motivator impersponations....most people appreciate it!!

Hmmm...interesting re the marathon....I was very much in two minds but after running with you guys on Sat I'm leaning towards doing it! Need to get some serious miles in though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hmmm...interesting re the marathon....I was very much in two minds but after running with you guys on Sat I'm leaning towards doing it! Need to get some serious miles in though!
    Have you already done the training Fitzilicious? If you haven't then you should reconsider, and pursue a spring marathon instead. Most runners preparing for Dublin will already have done a 20 mile run, or close to it. It really is too late if you are just considering it for the first time.

Well I'm always training, I've done a lot of triathlons and a few adventure races this summer so I just haven't been doing the longer distances although I have uped the mileage in the past 2 weeks.
    I've done the marathon in 2008 so I know what to expect.
    Do you think based on this that it would not be a good idea to do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ivanski72

Thanks Fitzilicious. As one of the sub-140 pacers, it's nice to hear the encouragement was appreciated. I felt like a bit of a spanner at times trying to do my Mr Motivator impersonation!

I'm due to be pacing the marathon also (sub-3:30). Hopefully that's enough to help you decide to run it! ;)

It was the Mr Motivator that got me the 1:38, I remember you roaring us on, it was brilliant

Well I'm always training, I've done a lot of triathlons and a few adventure races this summer so I just haven't been doing the longer distances although I have uped the mileage in the past 2 weeks.
    I've done the marathon in 2008 so I know what to expect.
    Do you think based on this that it would not be a good idea to do it?
    I was incorrectly working off of the assumption that this would be your first attempt. What long runs have you done in the last two months? Bear in mind that most people training for this race will begin their taper in two weeks. Sorry, I'm not trying to put you off, just trying to provide the voice of reason.

I was incorrectly working off of the assumption that this would be your first attempt. What long runs have you done in the last two months? Bear in mind that most people training for this race will begin their taper in two weeks. Sorry, I'm not trying to put you off, just trying to provide the voice of reason.

I appreciate the reason!
    I've done a good few 7 to 10 milers and then two half marathons!
    What do you think based on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

NEDDURC wrote: »
    1 Finshed at 2.03.47 (I think) on the clock which confused me as I hadn't seen the 2hour pacers for the whole race. Was delighted that my chip was just under the two hours.
    I presume that the 2 hour pacers finished just behind me then!

I think It said 2:06:XX on the clock when we finished, though Our chip times were 1:59:22 and 1:59:18.
    If you had seen us during the race you would have missed the two hours becuase we started in the third wave and wouldn't have crossed the start line until about 3 minutes after you.

I appreciate the reason!
    I've done a good few 7 to 10 milers and then two half marathons!
    What do you think based on this?
    If you don't like bad news, them please don't reveal the spoiler!
    Personally, I would recommend that you forget about it and I'm sure when Peckham (the super motivator!) returns online he will likely have consistent advice for you. You just don't have the endurance base to take on a marathon at the moment. I have no doubt that you could complete the marathon, particularly on the back of your two 13 mile races and recent adventure races, however, because you quite simply don't have the endurance built up in the legs, completing the marathon in 34 days time will likely prove to be quite a struggle. Now is the prefect time to start thinking about a spring marathon (Connemara or Barcelona for example) and lining up a winter training plan to achieve a solid marathon goal. Sorry to be the harbinger of bad news. Why not get some more opinions, before committing to a course of action.

If you don't like bad news, them please don't reveal the spoiler!
    Personally, I would recommend that you forget about it and I'm sure when Peckham (the super motivator!) returns online he will likely have consistent advice for you. You just don't have the endurance base to take on a marathon at the moment. I have no doubt that you could complete the marathon, particularly on the back of your two 13 mile races and recent adventure races, however, because you quite simply don't have the endurance built up in the legs, completing the marathon in 34 days time will likely prove to be quite a struggle. Now is the prefect time to start thinking about a spring marathon (Connemara or Barcelona for example) and lining up a winter training plan to achieve a solid marathon goal. Sorry to be the harbinger of bad news. Why not get some more opinions, before committing to a course of action.

I totally appreciate what you're saying and I'm glad of the advice!
    As I said I was undecided as to what to do so I'm happy to take on board any advice/suggestions that people have!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭Peckham

As usual, KC is bang on the money .... I gave my advice in the context of a suitable training base being in place (which isn't the case....yet).

Even with my super motivation skills I'd struggle to get anyone past the 20 mile point who hasn't got the training in the bag!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Ardsbeg

Anybody know of any way to copy one of the photo's..Setting up a charity page for DCM and one of the photos wud be perfect for a profile pic as this was my first ever official/chip type race :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Ardsbeg wrote: »
    Anybody know of any way to copy one of the photo's..Setting up a charity page for DCM and one of the photos wud be perfect for a profile pic as this was my first ever official/chip type race :D

Were you the one on the bike?:D

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Were you the one on the bike?:D

Ha nah more like the one who was knackered passin the starting line:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭pdiddyw

how long do you guys think one should leave it before resuming training after last Saturday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

pdiddyw wrote: »
    how long do you guys think one should leave it before resuming training after last Saturday?

Well, I was out in the rain for an easy 3 miles on the Sunday morning but that's just cos I needed a fix ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Danniboo

Print screen and paste into word is the only thing really.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Its not too late to get a couple of easy miles in tonight :D

Just right click the photo, and select [Save image as].. Or am I missing something obvious?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭sarsfieldsrock

I totally appreciate what you're saying and I'm glad of the advice!
    As I said I was undecided as to what to do so I'm happy to take on board any advice/suggestions that people have!!

There is a marathon in Clonakilty this year on Dec 11th I think.
    That would give you almost 10 weeks to build up and do a good few long runs. You have a few halves so I would think that you should be able to get up to speed for that one.
    I always like to run first time marathons if I can. There is a freshness about them that older marathons don't have. You have to expect that they will not be as tightly orgasnised but that is part of the attraction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Did 10 in the park this evening and there was hardly a soul out running compared to last week..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

A big thanks to the 1.30 pacers (krusty & ecoli I think) you guys made some easy miles for me, not having to constantly check my time was brilliant. I can't believe how you kept the miles so constant. Well done lads and thanks again.

Too long and boring to post on here, my race report is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭NeedsTraining

Thanks to the 1:30 pacers.

I stayed with you guys until the 6 mile mark and then knew I had more in the tank so pushed on a bit. Finished in 1:28:11, so very happy. Pacing was great for those 6 miles.

Would love to see some 3:10 pacers in DCM, any takers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭regularkev

First post, so be kind! :)

Really great day on Saturday for my first half marathon. Thanks to everyone involved. I ran behind the 1:50 pacers for the first five miles (thanks guys!) and then felt I could go a bit faster so I moved past and found a comfortable pace. My finish time was 1:47:40.

DCM will be my first marathon. I've been on the Hal Higdon 18 week training plan and doing OK. I've done an 18m LSR so far and am due to do 19 & 20 over the next two weekends. By Higdon's calculation and the McMillan running calculator, I should be able to get a sub four hour time. Do the more experienced Marathon runners think sub 4 is achievable first time out?

regularkev wrote: »
    First post, so be kind! :)

Really great day on Saturday for my first half marathon. Thanks to everyone involved. I ran behind the 1:50 pacers for the first five miles (thanks guys!) and then felt I could go a bit faster so I moved past and found a comfortable pace. My finish time was 1:47:40.

DCM will be my first marathon. I've been on the Hal Higdon 18 week training plan and doing OK. I've done an 18m LSR so far and am due to do 19 & 20 over the next two weekends. By Higdon's calculation and the McMillan running calculator, I should be able to get a sub four hour time. Do the more experienced Marathon runners think sub 4 is achievable first time out?
    Get your pacing right (stick with the sub4 guys and gals), and your fueling strategy and there's no reason why you couldn't achieve your goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Just right click the photo, and select [Save image as].. Or am I missing something obvious?
    Unfortunately not.

For example (I am on the right :p )
    http://dublinmarathon.info/images/75min-93min/slides/DSC_2221.html
    Simply change ".html" to ".JPG"
    http://dublinmarathon.info/images/75min-93min/slides/DSC_2221.JPG

Note: The Javascript code on the page says: "Sorry - the administrator prefers not to allow unauthorised copying of this image."

Git101 wrote: »
    A big thanks to the 1.30 pacers (krusty & ecoli I think) you guys made some easy miles for me, not having to constantly check my time was brilliant. I can't believe how you kept the miles so constant. Well done lads and thanks again.

Too long and boring to post on here, my race report is here.
    Cheers Git101. Very entertaining race report!

daymobrew wrote: »
    Unfortunately not.

For example (I am on the right :p )
    http://dublinmarathon.info/images/75min-93min/slides/DSC_2221.html
    Simply change ".html" to ".JPG"
    http://dublinmarathon.info/images/75min-93min/slides/DSC_2221.JPG

Note: The Javascript code on the page says: "Sorry - the administrator prefers not to allow unauthorised copying of this image."
    Maybe it's because I'm running Chrome, but it works fine for me.

I think so cos i'm gettin 'the administrator does not allow unauthorised copying of this image'..Ah sure so be it :(

I think so cos i'm gettin 'the administrator does not allow unauthorised copying of this image'..Ah sure so be it :(
    Just change the url like I described - change ".html" to ".JPG"

If you have a problem them PM me the url of the photo.

Just change the url like I described - change ".html" to ".JPG"

If you have a problem them PM me the url of the photo.

We have lift off cheers for that d.m.b didnt see ur advice till after my last post..ur a genius :D:D:D

• Advertisement

As usual, KC is bang on the money .... I gave my advice in the context of a suitable training base being in place (which isn't the case....yet).

Even with my super motivation skills I'd struggle to get anyone past the 20 mile point who hasn't got the training in the bag!

Thanks for the advice!
    Spring marathon here I come so!

Good luck to all with the DCM! :)

What is the point of having cyclists cycle alongside the leaders?
    Is it for company? for encouragement?

In JosDel's video, I felt that some of the cyclists were very close to one of the runners. Some runners don't like others to be too close.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭pdiddyw

Thanks for the advice!
    Spring marathon here I come so!

Good luck to all with the DCM! :)

Fitzilicious,

This could be an option for you as prep for DCM...

http://www.athlone3quarter.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

What is the point of having cyclists cycle alongside the leaders?
    Is it for company? for encouragement?

In JosDel's video, I felt that some of the cyclists were very close to one of the runners. Some runners don't like others to be too close.

The official bikes are there to assist the race referee and to ensure that unofficial bikes keep off the course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭central park

What a great day last Saturday, very well organised event and perfect running weather. Great goodie bag too, especially that large bar of chocolate! Well done to all who completed the run, even though it wasn't the easiest of routes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Danniboo

What a great day last Saturday, very well organised event and perfect running weather. Great goodie bag too, especially that large bar of chocolate! Well done to all who completed the run, even though it wasn't the easiest of routes.

How many people actually did the race.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Jnealon

They were the race stewards on the bikes and the first guy was riding very close to the leader.
    They were on felt road bike by the looks of the video. The course on saturday would have tested both bike and rider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

The official bikes are there to assist the race referee and to ensure that unofficial bikes keep off the course.

Unofficial bikes? So if a leading guy had a bike in tow he would have been told "on yer bike"..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Anyone know if we ger BHAA points for this race? cant see any results on the BHAA website..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

smmoore79 wrote: »
    Anyone know if we ger BHAA points for this race? cant see any results on the BHAA website..

I believe we do as this race is a BHAA race and is the final race of the Summer League. Someone like Emerald007 or Rdunne might have more up to date info.

I am sure that there is some work to do to extract the BHAA runners from the results.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Think I'm passed the point of moving back up the tables again now I've missed so many races, but pretty sure I didn't enter a BHAA number on entering the race series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Yeah, points dont matter for me at this stage. Ive missed too many summer races. Want to see if my grade came down more than anything:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭central park

some race photos online at marathonfoto.com today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭emerald007

geld wrote: »
    I am sure that there is some work to do to extract the BHAA runners from the results.

Understatement - results and final summer league points are up to date. I was surprised we'd 300 and few in it

http://bhaa.ie/event/dublinhalf2010

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

w00t!!!

I moved up a few places in the league table today. That was a huge number of BHAA people out at the weekend.

• Advertisement
Advertisement