Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Half Marathon - September 18th

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

daymobrew wrote: »
    Name|Target|Actual
    Rasher_m |2:10 |
    brophya2007 | 2:09:59|
    menoscemo|1:59:30 (pacer)|
    claralara | 1:59:30
    scargill | 1:59:30
    Rainbow Kirby|1:58|
    William72|1:54:59|
    Milosh|1:49:59|
    RayCun|1:49:59|
    HuntingDrog|1:49:59|
    woddle|1:47:59|
    xebec|1:44:59|
    itsall true | 1:44:59 |
    Peckham|1:39:59 (pacer)|
    Tippmanrunning|1:39:59|
    Hawkwing|1:39:59|
    Ronnie085|1:35:59|
    NeedsTraining|1:29:59|
    figs | 1:29:59 |
    daymobrew | 1:29:00 |

I added Rasher_m and reordered by descending predicted time. I hope that that is okay.

Yeah thats great thx ;)

Has anyone found that following a pacer has brought them on or will it cause you to slow down later on if you're not fit enough?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Name|Target|Actual
    TipsyGypsy|2:23|
    jcsmum | 1:59:59 |
    Digger2d2|1:49:59|
    Oisin11178|1.49.30 pacer|
    seres | 1:33 |
    MisterDrak|1:29:59|
    brianderunner | 1:28:30 |
    robinph|1:25:00
    smmoore79|1:20:00

This time wouild be one second ahead of my pb on the same course last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Lex Luther

Name|Target|Actual
    jcsmum | 1:59:59 |
    seres | 1:33 |
    brianderunner | 1:28:30 |
    robinph|1:25:00
    smmoore79|1:20:00
    Lex Luther |1:23:30

might be optimistic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Sparky101

scargill wrote: »
    I'll be tracking menoscemo all the way hopefully. Did the Kildare half in a poor 2:24, the aim since then has been to do this under 2h. I did the 5 mile in 40:15, and for some reason could only manage the 10 mile in 1:39. My training runs are generally faster so a bit annoyed with that time, 1:30 was the target. Just going to put it behind me and put the work in over the next 4 weeks.
    Going to try a 10 mile and 12 mile run at (or near) the required pace over the next few weekends.
    I'm aiming for sub 2hr too, but think I am being a bit ambitious here, this is my first half marathon and was disappointed with a 1.39 finish in the 10 mile, I ran the 5 mile and a few 10ks at a much faster pace. Having said that, I didn't really put the effort in on the day and just pottered around on a nice jog, with not even a watch for guidance!
    Has anyone got any tips for getting us there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Sparky101 wrote: »
    I'm aiming for sub 2hr too, but think I am being a bit ambitious here, this is my first half marathon and was disappointed with a 1.39 finish in the 10 mile, I ran the 5 mile and a few 10ks at a much faster pace. Having said that, I didn't really put the effort in on the day and just pottered around on a nice jog, with not even a watch for guidance!
    Has anyone got any tips for getting us there?

Stick to the pacers like glue and we'll get you there in even splits :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Sparky101

menoscemo wrote: »
    Stick to the pacers like glue and we'll get you there in even splits :D
    Thanks for that! I will be the happiest girl in the park if I manage to do it:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

wish there was a 1hr 33 min pacer , gettin nervous bout this , have been traning specifically for this all summer , first HM , really hope i dont bomb .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭figs

I for one will be bloody glad to see pacers for the Dublin half... if I'm going to try to break an ambitious 1:30h, I'll need all the help I can get.

Now apologies if I've just plain missed this, but how are the pacers working for the Dublin Half? I didn't see or hear any mention of pacers for the half before this thread. I was aware there were volunteers for the DCM okay.

Are there official pace groups for the half (like the DCM)? Do the pacers have to pre-qualify based on previous times? What are these times? What are the groups? Is there a sub-1:30 pace group? How many pacers per group, etc... etc...

Somebody in the know might be so kind as to point me in the right direction for info.

• Advertisement

figs wrote: »
    I for one will be bloody glad to see pacers for the Dublin half... if I'm going to try to break an ambitious 1:30h, I'll need all the help I can get.

Now apologies if I've just plain missed this, but how are the pacers working for the Dublin Half? I didn't see or hear any mention of pacers for the half before this thread. I was aware there were volunteers for the DCM okay.

Are there official pace groups for the half (like the DCM)? Do the pacers have to pre-qualify based on previous times? What are these times? What are the groups? Is there a sub-1:30 pace group? How many pacers per group, etc... etc...

Somebody in the know might be so kind as to point me in the right direction for info.

2 Pacers per group and there are 1:30 pacers (Krusty Clown and Ecoli I believe), There are differenet qualifying standards for each group but all have ran significantly faster for each distance recently. I am sure you'll agree the 1:30 pacers are more than qualified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

figs wrote: »

Final listing of pacers

1:30

ecoli
    Krusty Clown

1:40
    lecheile
    Peckham

1:50
    SureWhyNot
    Oisin11178

2:00
    Menoscemo
    Racoon Queen

Reserve
    donothoponpop

*These are the official pacers, vetted and approved by the race organizers. They will have distinctive pacers gear, helium balloons (with their target time on them) which they will carry throughout the race.
    *All pacers will run steady miles throughout the race, to a pace about 30 secs faster than the above time bands, (ie. the 1:50 pacers will cross the finish line about 1:49:30).
    *Times are "chip-to-chip", meaning pacers will start their watches when they cross the start line, rather than when the gun goes. So it's best to stand behind your target time pacer at the start.
    *If you run with your pace group, you will meet that target time. Pacing will be steady throughout, ie. no "banking" of time. The hills in the Park are not steep/long enough to make any significant difference to a steady pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Final listing of pacers

1:30

ecoli
    Krusty Clown

1:40
    lecheile
    Peckham

1:50
    SureWhyNot
    Oisin11178

2:00
    Menoscemo
    Racoon Queen

Reserve
    donothoponpop

*These are the official pacers, vetted and approved by the race organizers. They will have distinctive pacers gear, helium balloons (with their target time on them) which they will carry throughout the race.
    *All pacers will run steady miles throughout the race, to a pace about 30 secs faster than the above time bands, (ie. the 1:50 pacers will cross the finish line about 1:49:30).
    *Times are "chip-to-chip", meaning pacers will start their watches when they cross the start line, rather than when the gun goes. So it's best to stand behind your target time pacer at the start.
    *If you run with your pace group, you will meet that target time. Pacing will be steady throughout, ie. no "banking" of time. The hills in the Park are not steep/long enough to make any significant difference to a steady pace.
    Just wondered if info on the pacers will be at the number collection and or the posted numbers? Are there a couple of waves for the half marathon again, i'm guessing the pacers will be in the correct wave:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Just asking out of curiosity...

usually in races there are plenty of people who start in the wrong place, and/or go out too fast. Do you think many people see a 1.40 balloon and think "uh-oh, why am I beside this guy, I must be going too fast"? Or is it just the people who decide to follow a pacer that pay any attention?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Probably what is going to happen, is that people will turn up on the day, see a pacers baloon, have no idea about pacing or what pace they can realistically do the race in and "give it a lash".

Result being loads of people droping off the pace after 2-3 miles.

RayCun wrote: »
    Just asking out of curiosity...

usually in races there are plenty of people who start in the wrong place, and/or go out too fast. Do you think many people see a 1.40 balloon and think "uh-oh, why am I beside this guy, I must be going too fast"? Or is it just the people who decide to follow a pacer that pay any attention?

Speaking for myself Ray, i am normally one to go out too fast in the first mile in Races. Now at the Enniscorthy half a few months ago, I was targetting sub 1:40. There were no pacers for 1:40 rather 1:30 and 1:45, So I placed myself between the two pacing groups at the start and allowwed the 1;30 pacers to gradually drift off in front of me while keeping the 1:45 guys well behind.

Anyway i came in at 1:37 in a remarkably even paced race (for me any - a 2 second negative split), so While i didn't have pacers for my target time, the presence of pacers at the race definately helped me run an even paced race.

Hopefully in the Dublin Half, the presence of pacers in the different waves will make people realise which wave they should be in at the start.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

shels4ever wrote: »
    Just wondered if info on the pacers will be at the number collection and or the posted numbers? Are there a couple of waves for the half marathon again, i'm guessing the pacers will be in the correct wave:)

Info on pacers will probably be emailed before, not 100% sure.
    There will be three wave starts,
    Wave 1– Runners who wish to run sub 100 minutes
    Wave 2– Runners who wish to run between 100 and 120 mins
    Wave 3– Runners who wish to run 120 minutes plus

so pace groups sub 1:30, sub 1:40 will be in Wave 1, and pace groups sub 1:50 and sub 2:00 will be in Wave 2.

This is somewhat moot, as all times will be chip-to-chip anyway (although both gun and chip times will be published).

Speaking for myself Ray, i am normally one to go out too fast in the first mile in Races. Now at the Enniscorthy half a few months ago, I was targetting sub 1:40. There were no pacers for 1:40 rather 1:30 and 1:45, So I placed myself between the two pacing groups at the start and allowwed the 1;30 pacers to gradually drift off in front of me while keeping the 1:45 guys well behind.

Anyway i came in at 1:37 in a remarkably even paced race (for me any - a 2 second negative split), so While i didn't have pacers for my target time, the presence of pacers at the race definately helped me run an even paced race.

Hopefully in the Dublin Half, the presence of pacers in the different waves will make people realise which wave they should be in at the start.

I went to the back of wave one on sat as this was 1:25 which was my target, but over the fist mile i'd say i'd passed 40% of that wave by running 8:30 miles so a huge amount of people were in the wrong wave. Same for the wave 2 guys who passed us inmile 3-4 they were running well under 7 min pace.

I went to the back of wave one on sat as this was 1:25 which was my target, but over the fist mile i'd say i'd passed 40% of that wave by running 8:30 miles so a huge amount of people were in the wrong wave. Same for the wave 2 guys who passed us inmile 3-4 they were running well under 7 min pace.

I know a good few people who started at the front of wave 2 rather than the back/middle of wave 1 "to get a good run at it". Probably a good strategy for them but kind of makes a mockery of the wave system.

Anyway I am not too worried about the waves as over a half, there is loads of time to make up what you might lose at the start. It is more of an annoyance in 5-10k races.

I know a good few people who started at the front of wave 2 rather than the back/middle of wave 1 "to get a good run at it". Probably a good strategy for them but kind of makes a mockery of the wave system.

Anyway I am not too worried about the waves as over a half, there is loads of time to make up what you might lose at the start. It is more of an annoyance in 5-10k races.

Yep but if the 2 hours half mara people are starting 4-5 mins before the pacers it makes it a bit hard, I think this is going to be a hard one for the pacers to manage... maybe have a 2 hour paces = wave 2 balloon..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

er, guilty.

But, I can see the problem with a slower runner being in the first wave, because the people behind have to pass them out. How much of a problem is it to have a faster runner in the second wave? It meant I had to pass out more people, but did I inconvenience anyone else?

• Advertisement

Yep but if the 2 hours half mara people are starting 4-5 mins before the pacers it makes it a bit hard, I think this is going to be a hard one for the pacers to manage... maybe have a 2 hour paces = wave 2 balloon..

That's not the pacers problem. As Donothoponpop has said, if someone is planning on using pacers, they need to be starting at approximately the same time as the pacers or a little behind.
    Pacers can't be responsible for people who started 5 minutes before them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭The Hammer

I think the few previous posts here are spot on - many people go to say the front of the wave they should be in - or bump themselves up a wave to "give themselves a good position" and "avoid the crush". Of course the irony is that it is exactly this behaviour is what causes the crush. I do think the Mic Guy at Frank Duffy on Saturday missed a proper opportunity of warning people about the potential for danger of starting in the wrong wave. Instead he went on about the "people who like a burger and a glass of wine go to wave 3". There are plenty of people in wave 3 who work their butts off week in and week out - so instead of talking rubbish - some tips about the wave system etc would be useful.

I say this without any statistical evident but I am sure many of the wave jumpers are not "real runners" - the people who take their running seriously regardless of whether their ten mile is 55 mins,75 mins, or 125 minutes - tend to do the right thing and line up where they are supposed to on race day.

RayCun wrote: »
    er, guilty.

But, I can see the problem with a slower runner being in the first wave, because the people behind have to pass them out. How much of a problem is it to have a faster runner in the second wave? It meant I had to pass out more people, but did I inconvenience anyone else?

Not at all, it's the fact that everyone knows there will be slow people in the first wave and have to make plans to deal with it (i.e. start in the second wave so the field will be thinned when you pass the walkers) that makes the mockery.

Anyway this is probably a topic for a different thread (though it has been done a thousand times before). As I say, hopefully the presence of clearly marked pacers will 'help' people choose the correct wave for them in this race.

That's not the pacers problem. As Donothoponpop has said, if someone is planning on using pacers, they need to be starting at approximately the same time as the pacers or a little behind.
    Pacers can't be responsible for people who started 5 minutes before them.

Yep but once they know what wave the pacers will be in, this might actually solve a part of the problem. So if people know that 2 horus pacers are in wave 2-3 etc it might help.

Will prob bejoining you for a few miles of he half and see how it goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭jlang

Name|Target|Actual
    Rasher_m|2:10|
    brophya2007|2:09:59|
    jcsmum|1:59:59|
    menoscemo|1:59:30(pacer)|
    claralara|1:59:30|
    scargill|1:59:30|
    itsall true|1:44:59|
    seres|1:33|
    jlang|1:30:00|
    figs|1:29:59|
    daymobrew|1:29:00|
    brianderunner|1:28:30|
    robinph|1:25:00|
    Lex Luther|1:23:30|
    smmoore79|1:20:00|
    McMillan's giving me 1:32:x but if there's going to be pacers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Name|Target|Actual
    Aimman|1:39:59|

Supergluing myself to Peckham.

Aimman wrote: »
    Name|Target|Actual

Supergluing myself to Peckham.

Some seriously good times in there...I thought for the Frank Duffy run that there were a lot more slower runners like myself....hmmm wonder where they went

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

rasher_m wrote: »
    Some seriously good times in there...I thought for the Frank Duffy run that there were a lot more slower runners like myself....hmmm wonder where they went

There will be lots of slower runners - just not all of them will list a target time here ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Name|Target|Actual
    Tunguska|1:13:59|

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Name|Target|Actual
    Racheljev|2:01:30|

McMillan is giving me 2:01:30 based on the 10 mile, so I'll stick that in the table - but maybe I'll try and stick with the 2 hr pacers for a while and see how I get on...

• Advertisement

racheljev wrote: »
    Name|Target|Actual

QUOTE]
    jesus tunguska thats a savage time your goin for !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Name|Target|Actual
    DigiJem|1:53|

Seres wrote: »
    jesus tunguska thats a savage time your goin for !

Thats the target anyway, whether or not I'll get there is another issue. Running the national half next weekend so I'll learn a lot from that result.

1:33 huh. I know its your half marathon debut and I dont wanna put pressure on you or anything but I think you could go sub 1:30. I mean you have the speed and so long as you've done your 13mile runs in training you'll be in good nick. But you know best yourself what youre capable of.
    And dont pay any attention to the scare mongering over the course being tough. Its not. Not flat either, but definitely not in the "hard course" classification.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭lecheile

Name|Target|Actual
    LeCheile|1:39:59 (pacer)|

tunguska wrote: »
    Thats the target anyway, whether or not I'll get there is another issue. Running the national half next weekend so I'll learn a lot from that result.

1:33 huh. I know its your half marathon debut and I dont wanna put pressure on you or anything but I think you could go sub 1:30. I mean you have the speed and so long as you've done your 13mile runs in training you'll be in good nick. But you know best yourself what youre capable of.
    And dont pay any attention to the scare mongering over the course being tough. Its not. Not flat either, but definitely not in the "hard course" classification.
    ya , what the hell , was just think the same thing before comin onto the thread , think i will just go for it and try and stay with the 1hr 30 pacers , sure if i blow up it my first one anyway !
    probably been a bit over cautious anyway with the 1hr 33 ?!

ya , what the hell , was just think the same thing before comin onto the thread , think i will just go for it and try and stay with the 1hr 30 pacers , sure if i blow up it my first one anyway !
    probably been a bit over cautious anyway with the 1hr 33 ?!

That there is fightin' talk! Good stuff. Sure one of the lads from my club is pacing the 1:30(ecoli)so just tuck in behind him and you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Lex Luther

Hi Tunguska , will you have the same target for the nationals ? I'd imagine you'll have a bit more company there at that pace than you will a couple of weeks later in the park !
    I might modify my target depending on how well ( or not) the nationals go.
    LL

Lex Luther wrote: »
    Hi Tunguska , will you have the same target for the nationals ? I'd imagine you'll have a bit more company there at that pace than you will a couple of weeks later in the park !
    I might modify my target depending on how well ( or not) the nationals go.
    LL

I'll take it a bit easier at the national half so no way I'll be going at 73min pace. Maybe around 76min pace. Having said that, I might get sucked into the Gary Crossan/Maria McCambridge show which will mean all hopes of taking it easy are out the window after that......

That there is fightin' talk! Good stuff. Sure one of the lads from my club is pacing the 1:30(ecoli)so just tuck in behind him and you'll be grand.

think KC is pacing too , that time your goin for would get ya in the top 10 by last year standards :eek: , ya ' ll be able to have a nice cuppa ready for me at the finish ;)

• Advertisement

think KC is pacing too , that time your goin for would get ya in the top 10 by last year standards :eek: , ya ' ll be able to have a nice cuppa ready for me at the finish ;)

The standard was poor last year though, cant remember why, but most of the top lads stayed away. I think a lot of them ran the national half instead. I know a lot of the lads dont like running in the commercial races, they prefer club organised events instead. So Im not sure how classy the field will be this year.
    Heads up though, if youre not registered you better get your pink roller skates on........entry closses on Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Mike D

Am hoping for a sub 1.58 ish time. Was on target for under 2 hours at Clontarf but the Wind on the beach put pay to that! It nearly killed me. Did 2.01 in Achill a couple of years ago
    Pacers is a great idea so am going to stick to the 1.59er and hope to have a bit in reserve for the last couple...fingers crossed.

The standard was poor last year though, cant remember why, but most of the top lads stayed away. I think a lot of them ran the national half instead. I know a lot of the lads dont like running in the commercial races, they prefer club organised events instead. So Im not sure how classy the field will be this year.
    Heads up though, if youre not registered you better get your pink roller skates on........entry closses on Tuesday.

the pink rollies have been there long ago , know its not the thread but what are you predictions for the national HM ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

the pink rollies have been there long ago , know its not the thread but what are you predictions for the national HM ?

Im not sure about the mens race, I have no idea whos in for defo and whos running the addidas instead or even both. I know the womens race should be a belter. Although McCambridge is on blistering form so maybe it'll only be the race for second place that'll be worth a look. She flew by me at the 10miler last week and by jaysus did she look strong. If I was those other ladies I wouldnt harbour any aspirations of finishing ahead of her. Not sure if Linda byrne has thrown her hat into the ring though, if she has then it'll be some race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Hi guys deleted a few posts as you did not quote the most recent table.

• Advertisement

Woddle wrote: »
    Hi guys deleted a few posts as you did not quote the most recent table.

Eh surely quoting the table from the post above is what you are supposed to do????
    That's what I did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

W.B. Yeats wrote: »
    Eh surely quoting the table from the post above is what you are supposed to do????
    That's what I did

I know but he quoted the wrong one, so therefore you did and that left 6 peoples names off the list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

I'm shooting for sub 1:35 in this. McMillan is giving me 1:31:59 based off a 5k time but I don't see any chance of that happening.

Name|Target|Actual
    W.B. Yeats |1:59:30|
    LeCheile|1:39:59 (pacer)|

Sticking as close as possible to Menoscemo- hoping he/she will bring me home!

W.B. Yeats wrote: »
    Sticking as close as possible to Menoscemo- hoping he/she will bring me home!

It's a he, but there will also be a she (Racoon Queen). Make sure to introduce yourself on the day!

• Advertisement
Advertisement