Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Half Marathon - September 18th

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Have to admit, I'm a little bit nervous myself. Not sure why but I'll be grand once the race starts. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

im offically sh*tting it....first half marathon...

aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh

You'll be grand! You've put the training in now, eat right today, drink loads of water and sleep well tonight. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭MaroonTam

Check out the update route map on the Race Series tab on the Dublin Marathon website.

Am I missing something? Route seems to me to be the same as last year and the same as the route in the number pack... What updates? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭flying_scotsman

Hoping to take nearly 10 minutes off last years time!

Name|Target|Actual
    TipsyGypsy|2:23|
    Su Campu |2:20|
    kit3|2:20:00|
    Rasher_m|2:10|
    The Drifter|2:10:00|
    brophya2007|2:09:59|
    Racheljev|2:01:30|
    ShaneIRL|1:59:59|
    jcsmum|1:59:59|
    menoscemo|1:59:30(pacer)|
    RQ|1:59:30(pacer)|
    W.B. Yeats |1:59:30|
    claralara|1:59:30|
    scargill|1:59:30|
    ROF|1:59:30|
    Rainbow Kirby|1:58|
    Mike D|1:58|
    geld|1:58|
    William72|1:54:59|
    DigiJem|1:53|
    fletch|1:50|
    osnola ivax|1:49|
    sideswipe|1:49|
    Milosh|1:49:59|
    RayCun|1:49:59|
    HuntingDrog|1:49:59|
    Digger2d2|1:49:59|
    Oisin11178|1.49.30 pacer|
    xebec|1:44:59|
    itsall true|1:44:59|
    Peckham|1:39:59 (pacer)|
    Tippmanrunning|1:39:59|
    Jackyback|1:39:59|
    Hawkwing|1:39:59|
    Aimman|1:39:59|
    LeCheile|1:39:59 (pacer)|
    Plodder|1:39:59|
    macinalli|1:39:59|
    gerard65|1:39:59|
    flying_scotsman|1:39:59|
    Ronnie085|1:35:59|
    EMPM|1:34:59|
    cwgatling|1:34:59|
    mathie|1:32:30|
    RAL3|1:32:00|
    seres|1:29.59|
    jlang|1:30:00|
    MisterDrak|1:29:59|
    NeedsTraining|1:29:59|
    figs|1:29:59|
    ecoli|1:29:59 (pacer)|
    Krusty_Clown|1:29:59 (pacer)|
    James Howlett|1:29:28|
    daymobrew|1:29:00|
    brianderunner|1:28:30|
    Art of Noise |1:27:59|
    another world |1:26:59|
    robinph|1:25:00|
    Lex Luther|1:23:30|
    smmoore79|1:20:00|
    Tunguska|1:13:59|

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

MaroonTam wrote: »
    Am I missing something? Route seems to me to be the same as last year and the same as the route in the number pack... What updates? :confused:

Very small change.
    In the number pack, there's a little loop around the roundabout by the zoo.
    On the updated route, that loop has been cut out but there's a new loop at the top of the Kyber road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Best of luck to all doing the half tomorrow!

Enjoy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭MaroonTam

RayCun wrote: »
    Very small change.
    In the number pack, there's a little loop around the roundabout by the zoo.
    On the updated route, that loop has been cut out but there's a new loop at the top of the Kyber road.

Thanks Ray, I think I understand the changes you mean. The link on the Race series website does not reflect that changes though
    http://dublinmarathon.ie/map10_halfmara.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

I can't find the updated map either. :confused:

I'm very nervous about this one - I'm finding it hard to concentrate in work today! I'm looking forward to it being over as it feels like a long build-up to it! I'm heading on a girls night out tomorrow night; and none of my friends know I'm doing it! I've been playing my cards very close to my chest on my new jogging hobby as I was so convinced I would fail. They'll be impressed if I get around the course so I'll focus on that when my mind starts overthinking about times etc!

Best of luck to all! I'll be hanging in with the 2-hr pacers for the first mile or two to see how I find the pace but realistically I expect to come in around 2:05!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Mike D

Not getting a whole lot of work done today...
    How much water do people take in the day before the event? I've probably has a litre so far today. I was thinking another litre before this evening?? I do get dehydrated quite easily

Good luck to everyone!!

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭petermijackson

Sorry of this has already been asked but I wasn't going through the 21 pages - I'm not running tomorrow. Can I still head up to the park on the bike and take photos?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Mike D wrote: »
    Not getting a whole lot of work done today...
    How much water do people take in the day before the event? I've probably has a litre so far today. I was thinking another litre before this evening?? I do get dehydrated quite easily

Good luck to everyone!!

2 liters sound about right, maybe another half

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Type in Dublin and it will give you a list of possible hits, including weather stations around Dublin. As for the image, [PrintScreen][Pbrush][Cut'copy'paste][upload to ftp server][link]. I have it down to a 5 second fine art! (Old school IT).

It's much easier on a mac.

An apple a day keeps windows away!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

runrabbit wrote: »

Maybe both of you need to clear your browser caches?
    It's really a tiny difference anyway, a little loop here has been moved to a little loop there. It doesn't add in any hills or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭Peckham

my new jogging hobby
    I'll be hanging in with the 2-hr pacers for the first mile or two to see how I find the pace but realistically I expect to come in around 2:05!

Don't do yourself a disservice - a 2:05 half marathon is not jogging, it's proper running!

Best of luck tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

I feel like s**t today... please say it's all in my head!

I was complaining that my blood sugars were low and one of the lads in work just bought me a hot chocolate...probably not the best pre-hydration!

Best of luck tomorrow everyone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

It's much easier on a mac.

An apple a day keeps windows away!
    Prove it! (you have 5 seconds....).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Sorry of this has already been asked but I wasn't going through the 21 pages - I'm not running tomorrow. Can I still head up to the park on the bike and take photos?
    Only if you can make me look good! <---- RacoonQueen: insert wise crack here. :)
    Don't forget to tag them for Racepix!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Sparky101

Oh dear, feeling rubbish today, sore-ish throat, headache, tired. This is my first half marathon, I have been building up to this for the last year now, ever since I first got my backside off the couch a year ago!
    I have done all the training, I am going drink up lots of water today, get to bed early and hope for the best in the morning.
    Good luck to everyone running tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

I'm very nervous about this one - I'm finding it hard to concentrate in work today! I'm looking forward to it being over as it feels like a long build-up to it!

Best of luck to all! I'll be hanging in with the 2-hr pacers for the first mile or two to see how I find the pace but realistically I expect to come in around 2:05!

Work is proving really difficult at the moment but I'll keep going
    I'll be hanging with the 2hr pacers to so best of luck.
    claralara wrote: »
    I feel like s**t today... please say it's all in my head!

Best of luck tomorrow everyone!

I reckon keeping control of my head tomorrow will be the most important thing I can do. Feel bad today with phantom (hopefully) muscle strains in both legs, come tomorrow though I'll make the legs run whether they want to or not, or whether they are able to or not
    Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

I'm still trying to decide weather to run it at marathon pace or usual 1/2 marathon pace. Will probably aim for something in between, am still feeling tired after my LSR last Saturday.

Best of luck to everyone tomorrow, fingers crossed for the weather ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭pdiddyw

Decent nights sleep,taking it easy. some water intake, bowl of porridge with a banana in the morning and we'all be rearing to go!!!:D

best of luck...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Just had a curry from the dodgy Indian across the road for lunch. That's on top of a bottle of wine last night.

I just wish to share this as an example of how not to prepare for a half Marathon. Sharing is caring and all that.

PS. Don't run in my slip stream tomorrow, could get a bit blustery

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭RunningFlyer

Hi all

Haven't posted in ages here but Im doing the Half tomorrow and just looking for a bit of advise whether to drive in or public transport.

Is there any specific parking areas set out? Im not familiar with parking in Phoenix Park (or that general area) so would maybe try Heuston St. and walk up to Parkgate St but is the car park at Hueston large enough to cater for what I presume will be an increase of cars?

Otherwise my other option is DART + Luas to Hueston but that will mean getting up even earlier.

Also, once there, what are the bag drops like? Someone posted they can take ages - but roughly how long? I plan to arrive at the Starting area by 9am - would this be enough time to drop the bag off etc? And do we need to mark our bags ourselves with race number?

Sorry for all the questions but would be very appreciative for any answers :) It's my first road race in the city (& first Half) so want to cover all aspects... its a bit different to the smaller, more rural races I've been doing! :)

Good luck to everyone! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

f me but i am nervous as hell about this. training was going well till this week, and im feeling stiffer and the like all week. Not happy.

going to be jogging, was thinking of trying to stay with the 2hr pacers, but i dont think thats going to be achievable.

why the hell does this seem so much worse than the 10 mile!!!!!!!!!!! probably something to do with my exceptionally sore self after that one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Not ideal to be having a twinge in my back a day before the race. Physio said my hamstrings are very tight so i am hoping plenty of stretching should relieve the problem.:o:o:oNever straightforward this running lark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭Dow99

I just logged on for the first time today and its reassuring to know that everyone is as nervous about tomorrow as I am.

I've had a head cold all week so I'm full of snot, plus the realisation of just how far 13.1miles is,,,,, I am sh.tting it!!!!

Best of luck to everyone tomorrow,, I'll be the one constantly blowing my nose!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭Peckham

Hi all

Haven't posted in ages here but Im doing the Half tomorrow and just looking for a bit of advise whether to drive in or public transport.

Is there any specific parking areas set out? Im not familiar with parking in Phoenix Park (or that general area) so would maybe try Heuston St. and walk up to Parkgate St but is the car park at Hueston large enough to cater for what I presume will be an increase of cars?

Otherwise my other option is DART + Luas to Hueston but that will mean getting up even earlier.

Also, once there, what are the bag drops like? Someone posted they can take ages - but roughly how long? I plan to arrive at the Starting area by 9am - would this be enough time to drop the bag off etc? And do we need to mark our bags ourselves with race number?

Sorry for all the questions but would be very appreciative for any answers :) It's my first road race in the city (& first Half) so want to cover all aspects... its a bit different to the smaller, more rural races I've been doing! :)

Good luck to everyone! :D

If driving, then the best bet is to get there early and park on-street in the Dublin 7 or Ashtown areas and walk/jog into the Park. Alternatively park in one of the city centre car parks, then Luas up to Heuston and courtesy bus. There are no car parks around Heuston, and most of the Park will be closed to traffic.

AFAIK, there are no specific bag drops, just a couple of tents where you can store your bag (but they are not secured, so it's at your own risk). You'd be fine getting there by 9, in fact you wouldn't really need/want to be there any earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭ShaneIRL

Just leaving teh office now to head home, get some Carbs into me, hydrate some more and relax for the night. Best of luck to everyone and lets hope the weather holds like it did today.

Here's hoping by 12 noon tomorrow il be finished :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Peckham wrote: »
    If driving, then the best bet is to get there early and park on-street in the Dublin 7 or Ashtown areas and walk/jog into the Park. Alternatively park in one of the city centre car parks, then Luas up to Heuston and courtesy bus. There are no car parks around Heuston, and most of the Park will be closed to traffic.

There's a carpark in Heuston which would be fine to use. Then short walk across the bridge to the shuttle buses up to the race start. RunningFlyer, if you're unfamiliar with the area then this seems like the best option to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

The issue of parking seems to come up everytime theres a race in the park. There is loads of parking on chesterfield ave between the zoo roundabout and the roundabout beside the uras on both sides of the road. Get there before 9 and you'll have a 10min walk to the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

There is definitely an air of tension and nervousness around here for tomorrow, myself included.
    Will be lurking around the 2hr pacers tomorrow, so hopefully will see some friendly faces. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

jcsmum wrote: »
    There is definitely an air of tension and nervousness around here for tomorrow, myself included.
    Will be lurking around the 2hr pacers tomorrow, so hopefully will see some friendly faces. :)

oh oh oh me......ill be the one with the shaved head and the beard :D

right bags packed..carbed up...hydrated...

time to take the dog to the kennels and head for the big smoke..

nerves are in full swing now :P i made a pace band for 2hr and 2hr 10...ill leave one at the hotel in the morning :P

Good luck everyone home to meet some of ye tomorrow!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Only if you can make me look good! <---- RacoonQueen: insert wise crack here. :)

Would I? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Best of luck everyone for tomorrow. I'm unbelievably jealous of you all! Really wish I was getting out for a run tomorrow. Hope everyone has a good day and it's pb's all round.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭scargill

Best of luck to all tomorrow. I'll see a few of you hanging around the 2 hour pacers. I'll be the one smelling of deep heat - have several injuries that I am going to ignore for 2 more hours!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Jorioz

First time halfer here and v v nervous, great info and advice here, thanks! Racoon Queen I'll be in your pocket!
    Any pacers after 2hr just in case?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭RunningFlyer

Thanks for the replies guys... out of interest does anyone know the details of road closures/diversions and what times etc they will be put into effect?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Degsy123

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Good Luck to everyone tomorrow. Start off sensibly and above all enjoy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭Dow99

My HRM battery has just died,,, is there time clocks on the route??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Dow99 wrote: »
    My HRM battery has just died,,, is there time clocks on the route??

Nope, start and finish only. If you're with one of the pacing groups they'll keep you on track, otherwise it's back to an old fashioned watch...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,827 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Does anyone know which wave the 2hr pacers are going in? Last or second last?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

Good luck tomorrow everyone. Im really looking forward to it, hoping not to kill myself in the process and probably going to jog most and walk some after hurting my knee a few weeks ago, but we'll see how it goes. As with the previous races in the series, for me, its all about finishing it and not so much about time. Its going to be a great day. Have fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Jorioz wrote: »
    First time halfer here and v v nervous, great info and advice here, thanks! Racoon Queen I'll be in your pocket!
    Any pacers after 2hr just in case?

28064212 wrote: »
    Does anyone know which wave the 2hr pacers are going in? Last or second last?

Pacers for (sub) 1:30, 1:40, (both first wave); 1:50, 2:00 (both second wave). No pacers third wave. If you think you will have to walk for any of the race, start in the third wave: front, middle, or back, depending on how many minutes after 2:00hr you anticipate coming in. Anyone moving up a wave and taking a chance is not playing the smart cards- the race has timed waves so everyone can have the chance to run to the best of their ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

just opened my race envelope there and they forgot to put in the safety pins!

Not the kind of thing I have lying around the house either. Any chance the organisers will have spare ones in the morning or should I head out now and hunt some down in some late night shop somewhere???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,827 ✭✭✭✭28064212

grimbergen wrote: »
    just opened my race envelope there and they forgot to put in the safety pins!

Not the kind of thing I have lying around the house either. Any chance the organisers will have spare ones in the morning or should I head out now and hunt some down in some late night shop somewhere???
    They will, there's a place for people to get issued new numbers if they've lost their's, they have safety pins there (at least, they did at the 10 mile)

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Id track some down now just in case...

ive arrived in the hotel now...nerves are setteling down a bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

good luck to everyone doing the race tomorrow....look forward to reading the reports!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Yeah, best of luck everyone and enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

28064212 wrote: »
    They will, there's a place for people to get issued new numbers if they've lost their's, they have safety pins there (at least, they did at the 10 mile)

Great, thanks. was that at the cabin thingy just at the start by any chance?

• Advertisement
Advertisement