Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Half Marathon - September 18th

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

grimbergen wrote: »
    Great, thanks. was that at the cabin thingy just at the start by any chance?

You'll have absolutely no problem getting safetly pins there.

Good luck to everyone, it's gonna be crazy. 7999 lunatics (don't lose all your money on the gee gees chinguetti)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,827 ✭✭✭✭28064212

grimbergen wrote: »
    Great, thanks. was that at the cabin thingy just at the start by any chance?
    No, it was an FM104 branded bus a little bit on from the start (I think)

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

28064212 wrote: »
    No, it was an FM104 branded bus a little bit on from the start (I think)

Thanks. That's put my mind at ease! Best of luck to you tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭ct_roy

oversided bowl of pasta? check. (why i keep doing this i don't know)
    big bottle of water consumed? check.
    nervous excitement that greets these races every time? check.

best of luck to everyone tomorrow - I should be more prepared for this race but I'm still gonna push to beat the 107mins I managed last year (was way ahead of myself with that time last year).

whats the story with the supposed route change?

I checked my gps from last year - route looks identical??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Have a great race everyone and above all ENJOY IT :D Decided not to head up in the morning, just too much on this week, not in the frame of mind for it. Have a drink for me in Ryans!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Best of luck everyone. Looking forward to the race reports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

best of luck all , wish i was with ye for the torture :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭Peckham

Good morning all. A beautiful day for racing.

Best of luck to everyone, and please chat to the pacers! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭sarsfieldsrock

Just getting ready catch the 8:05 train now.
    Best of luck to everbody today. Hopefully it will go well for everybody. PBs all round.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

whoooo here we go people!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Best of luck to all.Bring rain gear though as i think we are in for a soaking by 10-11 but it will add to the atmosphere and sense of achievement :)
    http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp?ani=yAlmost no wind yippee!!--PB time

oh god ive no rain gear :) meh...horse on :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Good luck to all today, pacers included. I've got to give this one a miss. I'll try to make it down to the first corner to cheer you on though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Best of luck everyone. Lookin forward to this, my first HM.

Hope everyone enjoys the day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭HuntingDrog

Sitting in the car here inside ashtown gate entrance-it's choc-o-block.

Can't wait now. Good luck folks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Over the moon with 1'39"44 chiptime after 4 weeks of injuries
    :) PB by 6 mins.Thnks to the 1'40 pacers even though i never got within 50m of them until the finish but they helped to got me through.--i shook hands with one at the end(i had the adidas cap with red stripes). Brilliant day and might have a shot at a sub4 finally this year in DCM!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

Great race...pretty much perfect conditions. Ran a 1'39''(not sure exact time yet). Considering I would have been happy with anything under 1'50'', I'm delighted! :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Was good today and went easier than I expected. Wasn't sure if I had got a PB or not until I just checked the best of thread. Seems that I did knock 16 seconds off my time from Kildare and got a 1:23:33 today.

Think I had a bit more left in the tank and can go faster yet actually. But happy robinph is now going to the pub.

I won I won!!

I didn't actually win; but it didn't matter as I felt like I won when I finished. :D

1 hour 46 mins by my watch - yet to check my official result. I was aiming for anything under 1 hour 50mins so I'm delighted with that time.

I was initially planning on running with the 1:50:00 pacer but at the last minute I decided to just do my own thing. Glad I did now as I got a good time.

Anyway, to whoever the 1:30:00 pacer was - hope you're feeling OK. The O/H said she saw you bent over, vomiting at the home straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭trowel

Completed 1st half-marathon today in sub 1.50. Delighted tbh as 10 miles was my limit till this point.
    Thank you very much to the pacers who kept the ball rolling.
    Well done to all ye who turned up to cheer us on - conditions were a bit manky but it meant a lot and stopped the heads going down.
    Now for a hot bath...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

I won I won!!

I didn't actually win; but it didn't matter as I felt like I won when I finished. :D

1 hour 46 mins by my watch - yet to check my official result. I was aiming for anything under 1 hour 50mins so I'm delighted with that time.

I was initially planning on running with the 1:50:00 pacer but at the last minute I decided to just do my own thing. Glad I did now as I got a good time.

Anyway, to whoever the 1:30:00 pacer was - hope you're feeling OK. The O/H said she saw you bent over, vomiting at the home straight.

That was moi:o

Yeah i am grand stopped to encourage people coming round the bend as the other two pacers had the pace under control so i thought to try get the stragglers in and after shouting for a bit next thing you know i was hit by a wave of nausea still think it worked as got a few lads saying it helped them push on and were close to the 1.30 mark on chip time

Very happy with today's run
    managed 1h42m - which is a PB by over 5 mins
    was tempted to push hard for the sub 100 but a slight niggle in the hip and knee held me back - no harm I suppose given DCM is not far away now.
    A few deer darted in front of us I think around mile 7 which was gas.

Well done to everyone who ran and to the organisers!

ecoli wrote: »
    That was moi:o

Yeah i am grand stopped to encourage people coming round the bend as the other two pacers had the pace under control so i thought to try get the stragglers in and after shouting for a bit next thing you know i was hit by a wave of nausea still think it worked as got a few lads saying it helped them push on and were close to the 1.30 mark on chip time

Good stuff, glad to hear you're OK now anyway! Was it your shouting that got them home on time, or were they speeding up to get away from the puke??! :P

Funny story from mile 7. We were passing the 7 mile marker. Some guy with what I think was a French accent asked "how long is it?".

Myself and another lad pointed at the marker and said "7 miles" - but then the French lad said "No, how long is the whole race?"

Why would you enter without knowing how long you were going to run?!?!!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I am delighted with a PB of 1:27:10 (last year was 1:28:40 last year).
    Nice cool temp there today - it was even chilly heading into the wind on Acres Road (between 8 mile and 9 mile markers).

The t-shirt is a nice colour - like a Dublin away jersey :p

This race booklet has comments that if the race gets bigger then it might have to move out of the Phoenix Park. But it's sooo convenient for me. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Good stuff, glad to hear you're OK now anyway! Was it your shouting that got them home on time, or were they speeding up to get away from the puke??! :P

Haha thankfully i say that few them saw as they headed off i cheered them on and tried to duck off as to try and not let them see

Or maybe

It was a sneaky psychological tactic to get people thinking "god i dont feel as bad as that guy..... i could probably go faster":D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

1:38:35 for me - a PB by about half an hour!:o

Went ahead of the pacers around the 5 mile mark but struggled badly on the hills around mile 11 and they caught me coming out of the Furry Glen. They were great encouragement at the end though and helped me get through that tough patch - cheers folks!

First race I've ever paced, and what a fantastic experience. Tough to get the balance right between shouting encouragement and feeling like a bit of a tool with far too much energy...especially in the final mile. Lessons to be learned as I might have sped up a bit too much in the final 1.5 miles (natural instinct kicking in?!) and ended up finishing 1:38:50, so 70 seconds faster than intended pacing time. Great feeling to hear all the PB stories on the finish line and people going sub-1:40 for the first time. Hopefully I'll hel get some of you over the line for a sub-3:30 marathon in October.

Also, I hope the guy in front of me who got knocked down by a deer in the final half mile is okay. He was back up running, but hopefully not injured. Bizarre incident at the end of a race!

Well done to all who got PBs today.

On a logistical note - consideration needs to be given as to whether that route is suited to such large crowds. Not sure if it was because I was in a pacing group, but some of the narrower stretches and tight corners were quite heavily congested.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Caprica

Got home in 89:30, took the first 10k nice and easy and picked it up from there. The rain was more than welcome. Well done to the 90min pacers they were bang on target and had a good gang of runners with them.

It is a course of two parts, the first 7 miles were very easy and then a few hills make you work that bit harder. The furry glen never gets any easier. I hope the race stays in the phoenix park. The programme is a good read.

Well done to everyone and best of luck in the marathon, only 37 days to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

Well done lads. Great day all around. Perfect racing weather and organisation was spot on as usual.

1:31 for me. Few Loads of well-deserved beers in store tonight :p

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭nosnagaoithe

Well done Peckham and the rest of the sub 1'40 pacers, thought it was a great job done. 1'38'39 for me - PB by 6 mins for me. Great encouragement and motivation over last 2/3 miles...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭plodder

Took two days rest beforehand so decided to give it a good go. Was going to run with the 1:40 group, but decided to try and stay ahead of them. Really pleased as it's a new PB for me as well. 1:35:51 (chip).

It's a nice varied course, but the few hairpin bends and narrow bits were tricky.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭flying_scotsman

BIG thanks to the 1:40 pacers, every mile was bang on the money. Got a bit of a surge of energy near the end and managed to get in just over 1:38 so didn't get a chance to thank the two of you personally!

As for the congestion, think it was probably due to being in a pacer group. My wife was asking why I didn't run slightly ahead of the pacers as there appeared to be a lot more room. Saying that though, I don't think the route is that well suited to such a big crowd.

Well done to everyone who took part today, and best of luck to everyone going on to do the Dublin marathon next month.

just noticed the official times are up now

http://dublinmarathon.ie/results.php

would love to know how they get them all up so quick!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭plodder

Well done to all the pacers by the way. It looks very professional and well organised. On the little out and back section on Chesterfield ave. I could see there was a huge group thundering along behind Peckham.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Good race, tough fighting through the crowds for the first 3 miles. Weather was spot on oisin11178 and his partner did a great pacing job. Some great times posted above. 1:50:14 for me, progressing nicely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Peckham wrote: »
    First race I've ever paced, and what a fantastic experience. Tough to get the balance right between shouting encouragement and feeling like a bit of a tool with far too much energy...especially in the final mile. Lessons to be learned as I might have sped up a bit too much in the final 1.5 miles (natural instinct kicking in?!) and ended up finishing 1:38:50, so 70 seconds faster than intended pacing time. Great feeling to hear all the PB stories on the finish line and people going sub-1:40 for the first time. Hopefully I'll hel get some of you over the line for a sub-3:30 marathon in October.

Also, I hope the guy in front of me who got knocked down by a deer in the final half mile is okay. He was back up running, but hopefully not injured. Bizarre incident at the end of a race!

Well done to all who got PBs today.

On a logistical note - consideration needs to be given as to whether that route is suited to such large crowds. Not sure if it was because I was in a pacing group, but some of the narrower stretches and tight corners were quite heavily congested.
    Fair play to you peckham. you were full of beans with shouts early on. i started behind you but actually ended up running 1.32.

Nice to meet you again, hope i didnt give you a fright after shouting at you, just wanted to say thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

Lessons to be learned as I might have sped up a bit too much in the final 1.5 miles (natural instinct kicking in?!) and ended up finishing 1:38:50, so 70 seconds faster than intended pacing time.

I thought it worked pretty well - you pushed us on over the last few hundred metres and the other pacer hung back to bring as many as possible under the 1:40. Thumbs up from me!

Saw that alright - pretty frightening. The deer was about 4-5 ft in the air and going at speed when it clipped him. Bizarre, hope the guy is ok
    Not sure if it was because I was in a pacing group, but some of the narrower stretches and tight corners were quite heavily congested.

Agreed - especially that turn at the Castleknock gate, nearly came to a standstill there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Garmin time of 1hr 20mins 27 secs for me so mission accomplished. Roll on the marathon in October!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Yeah...Well done pacers...I was with the sub 1:50 guys but I got stuck about 40 metres behind them after about two thirds of a mile or so thanks to PEOPLE RUNNING IN THE WRONG WAVE AARRGGHH:mad:........Anyway, I felt good when I caught up with them so headed on by....Finished in 1:45:18 which is almost 8 mins better than my first half last year so the training is obviously working!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

Another member of the half-Marathon PB club today. 1:57:43 for me which is two mins approx better than my previous PB. I was being a bit ambitious in trying to keep with the 1:50 pacers (thanks Lads!:D) but they certainly helped on the first half of the course. I struggled a little on the hills in the second half and I am sure a few BP's went by the wayside here. However I was pleased with my last mile or so.

All in all this was a good race. Well organised and a big thanks to everyone involved.

The constructive critisim bit - the paths were too congested in a few places and there were too many sharp turns. I thought that 8,000 runners was pushing it a bit and as Daymobrewo has said maybe it is time the Addidas Series move out of the Phoenix Park. It's just not big enough for this number of runners.

To end on a positive note it was still very good value for €20 and I would do it again.

Roll on the marathon!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭napathy

Great day and a new pb for me by 7 mins. Thanks to the 1.50 pacers who, while I never quite got close to them, where great to help stop me going out too fast an being knackered late on.

Congestion was a bit dangerous but I suppose you needed to do that to have what is quite a varied course with almost no repetition.

Does anybody know how your chip and racetime can be the exact same? thought the should always be different?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Admitedly it is generaly less congested up towards the front, but I still enountered a couple of crowds. They were groups of 10-20 blokes desperatly trying to hold onto the pace of any women. If your a woman up the front of the field, or someone dragging a balloon along behind you, or wearing a daft costume, then there will be congestion forming behind as people use that person as a target.

That is the whole point of the pacers though. I do think the paths are too narrow for the numbers doing the race now,, regardless of how far up the field you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Really enjoyed pacing the 1:30 group with ecoli, the kiwirunner, and all the guys and girls who joined us for some or all of the journey. It was great to meet and chat to some of you along the way. Congrats to everyone who managed a PB, or achieved their goals.

Have eaten everything in the goodybag except for the chocolate and the pen (and I'm starting into the chocolate now).

I almost forgot the best thing about today.

I beat Krusty_Clown. :D:D:D:D

robinph wrote: »
    I almost forgot the best thing about today.

I beat Krusty_Clown. :D:D:D:D

...and if he finishes off that chocolate bar in the goody bag I might beat him in Berlin next week! ;)

• Advertisement

grumble, grumble... <puts away half eaten chocolate bar>.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Are all three of today's 1:30 pacers members of boards.ie?

Are all three of today's 1:30 pacers members of boards.ie?
    Two of us are regular posters, the third guy (kiwirunner) doesn't post as often.

well its done 2hrs 3 min....delighted...i decided to stick with the 2 hr pacers as far as i could..a big thanks to them for today...unfortunately in then end i didnt have the 2hr in me but im still delighted with my time...

Congrats to everyone who finished today!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Narkie

Somebody left their i-pod nano under a tree, just near the turn off the path down towards the finish. I waited a bit to see if anyone came back for it but then just gave it to the garda at the roundabout...
    So on the off chance that anybody knows who lost it, or even if you know of a better place to post this note so they might see it
    It was a white nano, one of the old ones, in a case

1.36 for my first half marathon btw... will be working on that over winter

• Advertisement
Advertisement