Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Half Marathon - September 18th

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Two of us are regular posters, the third guy (kiwirunner) doesn't post as often.

Finish Time: 1:29:53

I owe you guys a big thank you.
    I had no energy left at all once I hit Mile 12 but you guys were fantastic shouting encouragement to us. I put everything I had into getting across the line but honestly if it wasn't for you guys I wouldn't have a sub-90 Half-Marathon.

When I threw myself across the line I think I shouted "****" because it was a little painful, little embarrassed about that now :o sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Yeah...Well done pacers...I was with the sub 1:50 guys but I got stuck about 40 metres behind them after about two thirds of a mile or so thanks to PEOPLE RUNNING IN THE WRONG WAVE AARRGGHH:mad:.

Exactly the same as me, I need to invest in some spikes for my elbows.
    It worked out okay, I slowly made up the distance on them and passed them just after the Kyber. Thought I'd made up a few minutes on them, but they caught up with me at the 12 mile marker, I must have lost a lot of time coming out of the glen.

Race went well though, good weather for it and good atmosphere (and great to meet people in Ryan's afterwards). The only problem with the race was the time spent on the paths on Chesterfield, going past the cricket club and approaching the finish. There were just too many people running today for that to work. I think I lost at least 30 seconds in that first stretch, because everyone was slowed down to the pace of the slowest runners.

Aside from that though, a great race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Well done to the 1:40 pacers. Stuck with them for about the first 5 miles but changed plan and went ahead. Finished in 1:37:54 chip time - a PB. The 3 deer running alongside us between the 8th and 9th mile and then cutting across the road right in front of the group I was in was surreal. The 11th mile coming out of the glen was very tough, my slowest. Well organised race, well done to all the pacers, really adds something extra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

First half marathon for me today, so I guess anytime would be a PB! Came in at 2:10:22.. I had hoped for 2:10, and considering I stopped for a pee, I reckon I did that! Pretty pleased.
    Temperature was perfect I found, and the rain was very welcome at certain points.

I started at the back of the 100-120mins+ wave, but was surprised to be overtaking walkers for a good bit of the first mile :confused:

Just out of curiousity.. Pacers, do you wear a t-shirt that says 'Pacer', or how do others know who the pacers are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

they have balloons tied to them....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Fortrath

A big thanks to the pacers. Helped me to break 1:40 for first time. Great encouragement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭scargill

2:01. thrilled, this was my second half. (kildare half was 2:24). thanks to the 2 hour pacers, i lost you after 9 miles, had to pop into trees for a pitstop! Lost about a minute and never got it back.

overall a much better day than the 10 mile experience - weather was perfect today.

first water stop was mental - other than that found it great.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭milosh

My first half marathon today. I started about 10 meters behind the 1:50 pacers and it took me 3 miles to catch them. I nearly fell a couple of times in the first few miles so I would also like to thank the people who in their wisdom went in the wrong wave. I passed the pacers on Chesterfield Avenue and kicked on, full sure that they would pass me on the Kyber. But I was still comfortable on the hills and put in a couple of 8min miles between 7 and nine. I struggled up the last hills and they eventually came back into earshot with about half a mile to go. This gave me great encouragement to pick up my pace and I eventually finished in 1:48 which I am delighted with. I ran the whole thing about 20 sec per mile quicker than the 10 mile a few weeks ago. I aimed to break 1:50 but would have been delighted with 1:55 if I'm honest.

Roll on the full thing next month.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

they have balloons tied to them....

...and a big sheet of plastic saying pacer on their back...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

robinph wrote: »
    ...and a big sheet of plastic saying pacer on their back...

i never got close enough :( sniffle

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Spunderbungle

Hi there - first time poster, checking in.

First half marathon today, 1:52 so that's a PB :)

Bit disappointed though, been struggling with a bad bout of shin splints lately and my shin is destroyed after this morning. Had planned to run my fourth full in Venice (which is the same weekend as Dublin), but I reckon it's out the window, so gutted.

Still, haven't run more than 4 miles since July, so happy with that time.

Well done everyone, hope you're all enjoying the chocolate, which is bloody delicious! :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I didn't notice quite as many people out of place ahead of me at the start as usual, although I probably started too far back. Most people did all seem to be going along at about the same pace fairly quickly at the start which suggests they were all in the right place, and I was in the wrong.

There was a couple of people going very slowly at about 10miles though who were not fast runners who had given up. They looked more like slow runners who had taken a major short cut to get to that stage of the race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Just out of curiousity.. Pacers, do you wear a t-shirt that says 'Pacer', or how do others know who the pacers are?
    You can spot them easily, as they're all handsum divils.

Name|Target|Actual
    TipsyGypsy|2:23|
    Su Campu |2:20|
    kit3|2:20:00|
    Rasher_m|2:10|
    The Drifter|2:10:00|
    brophya2007|2:09:59|
    Racheljev|2:01:30|
    ShaneIRL|1:59:59|
    jcsmum|1:59:59|
    menoscemo|1:59:30(pacer)|
    RQ|1:59:30(pacer)|
    W.B. Yeats |1:59:30|
    claralara|1:59:30|
    scargill|1:59:30|
    ROF|1:59:30|
    Rainbow Kirby|1:58|
    Mike D|1:58|
    geld|1:58|
    William72|1:54:59|
    DigiJem|1:53|
    fletch|1:50|
    osnola ivax|1:49|
    sideswipe|1:49|
    Milosh|1:49:59|
    RayCun|1:49:59|
    HuntingDrog|1:49:59|
    Digger2d2|1:49:59|
    Oisin11178|1.49.30 pacer|
    xebec|1:44:59|
    itsall true|1:44:59|
    Peckham|1:39:59 (pacer)|
    Tippmanrunning|1:39:59|
    Jackyback|1:39:59|
    Hawkwing|1:39:59|
    Aimman|1:39:59|
    LeCheile|1:39:59 (pacer)|
    Plodder|1:39:59|
    macinalli|1:39:59|
    gerard65|1:39:59|
    flying_scotsman|1:39:59|
    Ronnie085|1:35:59|
    EMPM|1:34:59|
    cwgatling|1:34:59|
    mathie|1:32:30|
    RAL3|1:32:00|
    seres|1:29.59|
    jlang|1:30:00|
    MisterDrak|1:29:59|
    NeedsTraining|1:29:59|
    figs|1:29:59|
    ecoli|1:29:59 (pacer)|
    Krusty_Clown|1:29:59 (pacer)|
    James Howlett|1:29:28|
    daymobrew|1:29:00|
    brianderunner|1:28:30|
    Art of Noise |1:27:59|
    another world |1:26:59|
    robinph|1:25:00|1:23:33
    Lex Luther|1:23:30|
    smmoore79|1:20:00|
    Tunguska|1:13:59|

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Spunderbungle

How come we didn't get a medal by the way? :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Delighted here- came in at 1.55.52

Started with Racoon Queen and Menoscemo- 2 hours pacers as that was my target. Met Rainbow Kirby at the start (and again at the end), JCs Mum and a "lady in black" who I think is a fellow boardsie. We were at the start of wave 3 and immediately were passing stragglers from wave 2. Very crowded all along especially running up and down Chesterfield Ave between 4 and 5. Pacers did a great job setting an even tempo ( even if they did manage to get their balloons completely tangled up together!)

Was having a good chat with Menoscemo around 5 and in the crowds got separated from him. Started running with the "lady in black" (apologies for not getting your name) who was great at racking out 9 min miles. We ran together until mile 11- she even slowed a little when I had to tie my shoelace that had opened. It was great to run with someone for so long at such an even tempo and the crowds thinned as went along. We racked up the miles and had a little chat ever few minutes. I don't think I could have run at that pace if I hadn't been with someone else. I lost contact with her coming up to mile 11 at that crazy narrow path and the hill after. I had just about enough in the tank to bring it home then. I was going backwards all the way home though and for a second thought that I was gone over 2 hrs as could hear the public address guy going on about 2 hours on the clock as I was near the home straight. Realised however that he was talking about clock and not my chip time.

Finished in a bit of a heap and realised that I had cuts on both nipples that with my wet vest made it look like I had been shot twice in the chest. Must have happened on the last mile because I was chatting to a friend at mile 12 and all was fine but by the time I got to the finish line and waited for him to cross he was like I bet that's really sore!

Anyway a quick visit to John's ambulance for vaseline and the navy race t-shirt sorted me out.
    So thanks to all who volunteered and helped organise the race
    Thanks to the pacers who gave me the confidence that I'd be able to do it in 2 hrs and made sure we started out a good even tempo.
    Thanks to my new running friend in black who kept me going for a long long way- couldn't see you at the end but I wanted to say thanks
    Was great to see some fellow boardsies- it was very odd introducing myself at the start but well worth it-
    I salute all fellow runners- at my end of the field 13.1 miles isn't easy.

How come we didn't get a medal by the way? :mad:

Only the marathon

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭paulb79

enjoyed the half today , 1 . 43 in the end was hoping for sub 1.40 maybee next time, great job done by the pacers,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

Couldn't get the table working either. Doh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭MaroonTam

Absolutely thrilled today. Was shooting for around 1:35 and came home in 1:32:34. Took 11 minutes off last years time.

Minor issue with my Garmin going in to power save just as the race started. i was 2 minutes in before I realise it had not started! Doh. Got in going and manually lapped on the first mile marker to get the rest of my splits on target.

Ran most of the way with on e of the lads from our club. He was always just a bit ahead, then I would close and he would open a gap again (not sure if he sped up or I slowed down - effect the same). Either way we were shoulder to shoulder at 800 metres to go, and it was a Mexican stand off to see who would kick first.
    I went with about 300 to go and he responded, we ended up on opposite sides of the road, both going flat out but he piped me to the line. Fair play to him, he deserved it.
    Going by the official results he had me by three seconds, so I must have crossed the start line first - there was certainly only a second in it at the line...
    Good day, and glad we got the best of the weather....

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭RunningFlyer

I managed to get 1:36 which Im pretty happy over... I started about halfway between the 1:40 pacers and 1:30 pacers with the hope I'd secretly be able to catch the 1:30 but that idea went down the drain as I saw the red baloons drift away! :D Although I could still see them from a distance at 3mi.

For me it was a good race but a fast pace that I haven't been used to in my training so quite challenging.. especially the hills. I knew it was a fast pace when I beat my 10km PB at the marker (not counting it :)) but I definitely found myself losing a lot of steam around 11mi and fell back a bit in the pack.

Oh well, I'm very glad I did it.. has given me a few things to think about for DCM next month and how Ill approach it.

I'd agree with others above that some parts were very narrow.. I think the worst part was the tight downhill corner just past 9miles.. everyone came to an almost sudden halt and I was sure someone was going to slip on the wet ground but thankfully no-one did when I was there. Other than that it was great, although the atmosphere at some stages was a bit poor - On the last mile at the corner turning onto Chesterfield Ave I remember there being a decent crowd but no-one was clapping or cheering? Maybe they were too busy looking to see who'd need an ambulance :D

Well done everyone anyway, it was an enjoyable race! :)

Other than that it was great, although the atmosphere at some stages was a bit poor

I had to laugh when we passed a kids football match around 8/9 miles. Spectators... but not watching us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

*PB alert* Chip time 1.58.49 :D I owe a huge huge thanks to Menoscemo and Racoon Queen! Over 6 mins off the Kildare Half in May. And I only wanted to puke between mile 11 and 12 so not too bad! Looking forward to heading out tonight so will write a proper race report from my hungover bed tomorrow :)

Well done everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Mike D

Hey, Well done to everyone today, Really good atmostphere and good conditions for the race!

Big Thanks:) to Racoon Queen and Menescemo for pacing us round perfectly (apart from the balloons getting tangled up in the first mile or so!!

Target was 1:58 and I managed 1.58.26 which is a new PB by 3 mins. Had a little left in the tank at 12 at I kicked on a bit Found the hills ok today which was a bonus. Water stops were tricky but all in all a perfect race for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Name Changed

My chip time is coming up at n/a? I wonder why that is.

I used the Garmin anyway and came in at 1:49.49. I was trying to under 1:50 so I did it by 11 seconds. Happy days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I ended up running this along with another 8000 crazies which on reflection was pretty stupid tbf. I went to the physio yesterday and he felt the back pain was brought on by my hamstrings. After half an hour with him I was feeling much better although his advice was best off to leave the race alone.

I woke up this morning feeling slightly tight and sore so went for a quick 2k to see how i felt, which went well. Soon after I found myself driving down to the Phoenix Park!!

The course is fairly flat and although carrying a slight injury I still went off with the sub 1.40 pacers as I wanted to post a pb (again stupidy). All was going well until around the 3.5 mile when I got the back pain again. I had been on the shoulders of the 1.40 pacers up to then but decided to drop it back a click to see how the back would fair out. I ran the next 3 miles or so at a slower pace and then picked up the pace for the the last 7 miles. At one stage I seen the 1.40 pacer balloons about two minutes ahead and for once I made the right decison not to go after them.

I ended up finishing fairly strong and in a time of 1.41.37 which considering the circumstances I am happy enough with as it was a pb (previous 1.43.23 Enniscorthy). I reckon i would have been close to a 1.38 on that course so that gives me plenty of confidence for the sub 3.30 in DCM.
    BTW did everyone have the course long? i was nearly 100 mtrs long and thats with me keeping a very tight racing line.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/49505846

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Name Changed

i was nearly 100 mtrs long and thats with me keeping a very tight racing line.

Same as.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

A time of 1:56:58 for me. Absolutely delighted! :D
    Was running alongside Menoscemo and RQ for the first mile, then with the crowds, I ended up behind them, but always had them in my sights. Overtook them at the u-turn at the top of Chesterfield Avenue and just kept going.
    I was very comfortable throughout and looking back, maybe I could have pushed myself a bit more.
    Will write up a full report on my log.
    Great day and thoroughly enjoyed the race!
    Nice to see other boardsies aswell too. RK, you took off like the wind and I never saw you after that! GO you! Nice to see Tipsy Gypsy too.
    Claralara where were you???? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

No happy story for me unfortunately, though I was within 9 minutes of going sub-2. My first half marathon ended in the St. Johns ambulance tent!

Stuck like glue to the 2hr pacers for the first 11 miles, dropped back a few metres on the climb out of the furry glen but they were still in my sights when I reached the 12 mile marker and I knew that they weren't more than 10 seconds ahead. The pacers were great - had a brief word with menescemo, and also met some other lovely people to chat to in the group. Sometime shortly after 12 miles it all went wrong. My legs stopped working, everything went black, and I came around briefly to some girls trying to help me. I think at this point I tried to walk on, and I was telling the girls to go on and not to mind me, but they wouldn't hear of it. Whoever you are, thank you so much, as I took a couple of minutes off your time.

I woke again briefly on the grass and someone was saying that I was freezing, then I woke again in the ambulance, blacked out again and woke finally in the tent, on oxygen and lots of monitors. A scary and confusing finish to my race, which seems to have been caused by a stomach bug which has since manifested itself. I'm running a temp now and sitting on a very bruised bum in bed sipping water.

I just wanted to log on in the hopes that anyone who helped me sees this - I'm fine now and thank you so so much for your kindness. Thanks also to the St. Johns Ambulance gang who were just fantastic.

It was a disappointing end to months of training - but - these things happen. I'm not going to let it get me down too much, I'll concentrate on shorter distances for the winter, and who knows, I may be back next year! Maybe!

WELL DONE TO EVERYONE ON THE FANTASTIC TIMES!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

runrabbit wrote: »
    No happy story for me unfortunately, though I was within 9 minutes of going sub-2. My first half marathon ended in the St. Johns ambulance tent!

Here's to a speedy recovery!
    Good to see that people still care and stopped

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

BTW did everyone have the course long? i was nearly 100 mtrs long and thats with me keeping a very tight racing line.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/49505846

That tells me the course was bang on. You will never run the exact racing line. Even if it was painted on the road you probably fail to stick to it 100%. There are always Garmin related queries as to the measurement of courses and for the most part they are probably incorrect. Courses are always measured a few metes long as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Hi - 2.17.56 for me today a PB by 7 minutes and 10 minutes better than Achill earlier in the summer :D Different league to the rest of ye but absolutely delighted !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

My first half and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I started in the sub 2hr group and stayed with them for the first six miles, thanks Menoscemo and Racoon Queen. At that stage I pushed on a bit and increased the pace. Don't know whether it was the energy gels or the sense of occasion, first time taking gels first half, but I felt great and ran on to finish in 1hr 54min 45sec. It was nice to meet a few boardsies at the finish and I'd have loved to have a drink in Ryans, definitely going next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭RunningFlyer

RayCun wrote: »
    I had to laugh when we passed a kids football match around 8/9 miles. Spectators... but not watching us!

Haha yeah I forgot about that, that was quite funny... WHen I was running past a few young lads on the sideline starting running down the line opposite direction to us holding out their hands for high fives... good little bit of spirit & added some motivation! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭acurno

12 seconds over the 90 minute mark. Pretty gutted. Thought I was sound because I was only a couple of seconds behind 2 of the pacers with another one behind me and I knew all three would finish spot on.
    Course just read that the other pacer ecoli had an 'issue' at the last straight so I suppose i can't blame anyone!:p Still a PB so have to be happy with that.

Oh well, thats racing. Have the Galway bay halfer in 2 weeks so time to nail that sub 90 to the head!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

also the pacers run to chip time so if you happened to start just in front of them and finish just behind them it could add a couple of seconds. Just over 90 give you a lovely target for next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 voodoodoll1654

This was my first half marathon. My target was 1:40:00 and my chip time was 1:39:49. 11 seconds. Success.

Started off with the sub-1:40 group and stuck with the balloons for the first 5 miles. Tried getting a little distance between us, so ran about half a minute ahead of them. Went well until the feckin hills. At the 11 mile mark the 1:40 pacers were beside me. Tried to stick with them but it was hopeless.

Still though.... I finished sub-1:40 even though when I turned onto the finish straight with 400 m left to go I couldn't see the pacers. Thought I wasn't going to make my target until I noticed how close I was. Saw how far I had left to run and I had one minute to do it, so I pushed. Put al of my effort in. With the pain my legs were feeling, it was a new experience to be pushing through so much pain. Has to be valuable experience for the full marathon.

Loved the rain. Would have hated the race if there had bee any sunshine and warmth. Well done everyone.

That's awful runrabbit. I hope you recover really quickly, and hope it wont put you off trying again the next time. Remember, if you can make it to 12 miles with a stomach bug, you'll absolutely fly the half marathon the next time, when you don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

acurno wrote: »
    12 seconds over the 90 minute mark. Pretty gutted. Thought I was sound because I was only a couple of seconds behind 2 of the pacers with another one behind me and I knew all three would finish spot on.
    Course just read that the other pacer ecoli had an 'issue' at the last straight so I suppose i can't blame anyone!:p Still a PB so have to be happy with that.

Oh well, thats racing. Have the Galway bay halfer in 2 weeks so time to nail that sub 90 to the head!

I think the chip time is the issue there as i made it to 13 miles till the issue but i was just 1.30.12 pace (the idea was to try push the group that were falling off in the dying section of the race). there was over 20 seconds between gun and chip time though so anyone who would have started ahead of us could have been a few seconds out. I know one lad who finished just ahead of the 1.30 pacers thought he was just inside but actually ended up being 20 seconds out due to where he started

Sorry we couldnt get you under but well done all the same a PB is a PB

ecoli was only paid to run to 13 miles. Quality like that doesn't come cheap. :)

Unlucky on the 12 seconds acurno, but more importantly, congrats on the new PB. I missed out on a sub-60 in the Frank Duffy 10 mile, by a total of two seconds, so I know how you feel. It has strengthened my resolve to take a big chunk off of my PB next year. I don't like to leave these things so close to the wire!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Art of Noise

Despite the fact that I've been running a good while now and taken part in lots of races this was my first ever race in the Phoenix Park and first with such a large number of participants. Have to say I enjoyed it immensely. I thought there would be a lot more jostling and jockeying for position than there actually was. The value for money was excellent too. The goody bag including that cool technical T-Shirt was great.

In terms of my own performance I was reasonably satisfied with 1.29.22. I had originally set my target for sub 1.28 but my preparation wasn't the best during the week and I would have taken under 1.30 at 10:00 this morning. Debuting in the park was a good experience and the very impressive announcer/commentator guy was right to reiterate in the build up to the race how the second half of the course is a lot tougher than the first. I generally run negative splits in races but i didn't today!

I struggled over the finish line myself somewhat but I was very impressed with the pace some people sprinted over the line. One guy overtook me at a million miles an hour with about 100 metres left and loads of people I saw afterwards had great kick finishes which is great to see and the spectators love it.

All in all a great morning and I'll be counting down the 37 days to the marathon now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

i finished.

After starting training in June and pacing myself up from walking alot during a jog to making it around the half without stopping and keeping a jog, limping across the line as it may have been, has been a lovely feeling from start to finish. even if i finished in the last 500 people today, it matters not. today i did something ive never done before and hope to do better next year.

cheers for all the advice and support. Im loooking forward to all the hard work next year.

now, back to beer and pie for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Stuck like glue to the 2hr pacers for the first 11 miles, dropped back a few metres on the climb out of the furry glen but they were still in my sights when I reached the 12 mile marker and I knew that they weren't more than 10 seconds ahead. The pacers were great - had a brief word with menescemo, and also met some other lovely people to chat to in the group. Sometime shortly after 12 miles it all went wrong. My legs stopped working, everything went black, and I came around briefly to some girls trying to help me. I think at this point I tried to walk on, and I was telling the girls to go on and not to mind me, but they wouldn't hear of it. Whoever you are, thank you so much, as I took a couple of minutes off your time.

I woke again briefly on the grass and someone was saying that I was freezing, then I woke again in the ambulance, blacked out again and woke finally in the tent, on oxygen and lots of monitors. A scary and confusing finish to my race, which seems to have been caused by a stomach bug which has since manifested itself. I'm running a temp now and sitting on a very bruised bum in bed sipping water.

I just wanted to log on in the hopes that anyone who helped me sees this - I'm fine now and thank you so so much for your kindness. Thanks also to the St. Johns Ambulance gang who were just fantastic.

It was a disappointing end to months of training - but - these things happen. I'm not going to let it get me down too much, I'll concentrate on shorter distances for the winter, and who knows, I may be back next year! Maybe!

Jayny Mack runrabbit, you really haven't had any luck, hope you are ok now, that's not funny, nice to hear about the people who stopped to help you, good luck with your future training, and apologies if I sounded too forceful on your log, maybe I didn't understand what you were going through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

First ever time running half marathon distance, even in training! Longest to date was 10 miles. Did today in 2:13:52, which was inside my original target of 2:20. I recently upgraded that target to 2:10 though, but I just missed out on it.

My ankles really suffered from after 10 miles, totally seized up, I thought I would have to pack it in, but kept going and wasn't going to let it win over on me. Two friends also suffered joint problems - one gave up after 7 miles with his knee, the other had hip problems. Would all this be anything to do with the cold and rain?

Very happy with my day though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

well done all to pacers and competitors alike , for all that achieved their target , pat on the back and those who didnt dont hang up your HM trainers just yet :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Name|Target|Actual
    TipsyGypsy|2:23|
    Su Campu |2:20|
    kit3|2:20:00|
    Rasher_m|2:10|
    The Drifter|2:10:00|
    brophya2007|2:09:59|
    Racheljev|2:01:30|
    ShaneIRL|1:59:59|
    jcsmum|1:59:59|
    menoscemo|1:59:30(pacer)|
    RQ|1:59:30(pacer)|
    W.B. Yeats |1:59:30|
    claralara|1:59:30|
    scargill|1:59:30|
    ROF|1:59:30|
    Rainbow Kirby|1:58|
    Mike D|1:58|
    geld|1:58|
    William72|1:54:59|
    DigiJem|1:53|
    fletch|1:50|
    osnola ivax|1:49|
    sideswipe|1:49|
    Milosh|1:49:59|
    RayCun|1:49:59|
    HuntingDrog|1:49:59|
    Digger2d2|1:49:59|
    Oisin11178|1.49.30 pacer|
    xebec|1:44:59|
    itsall true|1:44:59|
    Peckham|1:39:59 (pacer)|
    Tippmanrunning|1:39:59|
    Jackyback|1:39:59|
    Hawkwing|1:39:59|
    Aimman|1:39:59|
    LeCheile|1:39:59 (pacer)|
    Plodder|1:39:59|
    macinalli|1:39:59|
    gerard65|1:39:59|
    flying_scotsman|1:39:59|
    Ronnie085|1:35:59|
    EMPM|1:34:59|
    cwgatling|1:34:59|
    mathie|1:32:30|
    RAL3|1:32:00|
    seres|1:29.59|
    jlang|1:30:00|
    MisterDrak|1:29:59|
    NeedsTraining|1:29:59|
    figs|1:29:59|
    ecoli|1:29:59 (pacer)|
    Krusty_Clown|1:29:59 (pacer)|
    James Howlett|1:29:28|
    daymobrew|1:29:00|1:27:10
    brianderunner|1:28:30|
    Art of Noise |1:27:59|
    another world |1:26:59|
    robinph|1:25:00|1:23:33
    Lex Luther|1:23:30|
    smmoore79|1:20:00|
    Tunguska|1:13:59|

* This table does not appear correctly but nor do the previously ok tables on previous pages. Maybe a strange temp thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭daymobrew

RayCun wrote: »
    A guy in front of me diverted left to kick back a ball that had been sent for a corner.

The news item about race mentions 8,000 entrants. The results only list 5727 finishers. Did almost 2300 entrants not turn up or not finish? That is a very high percentage (~28%)!! Can anyone explain the discrepancy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭scargill

i was following two hour pacers too and lost them around 9 miles. I do remember passing you on the ground. I assumed the girls with you were friends of yours looking after you. fair play to them.
    I'm just back from the pub - I was only talking about you about an hour ago!
    I know it mightn't be any consolation but seeing the effort you must've put in spurred me on to run to the finish!

Hope you recover well - you'll be back again!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Hi guys,
    I ran the half today, first timer...I predicted 2.10 and got near enough with 2.09 but was a bit ambitious and tried to stay with the 2.00 pacers but lost them around the 4 mile mark.
    Anyway, I'm hoping to run the Galway Bay one in two weeks and am wondering how much time I could knock off this time as the course is supposedly totally flat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 ivanski72

I thought the whole event was fantastic yesterday. Well organised and well supported.
    Ran the park many times and really enjoyed the different route especially the last 5. Liked the bit heading back down the 15 acres.
    A big thanks to the 1:40 pacers who roared us home, my last mile was a 7:05 and due in no small part to the ballon carrying runners! Finished in 1:38 - over the moon with that!

Great to be part of an 8000 event, I hope it stays in the park but can see the benefits of moving to the city etc, there seemed to be a lot of visiting runners from overseas.

A final big thanks to the organising commitee

Advertisement