Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

meals for 12 month old

• 22-08-2010 7:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm looking for some ideas for meals I can freeze for my 12 month old girl, anyone any good recipes.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

check out http://www.annabelkarmel.com/ for great easy recipes, my 2 have not turned their noses up at anything from here yet, including the curries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Hi, I'm looking for some ideas for meals I can freeze for my 12 month old girl, anyone any good recipes.

Hi JJNR,
    My wife went to great lenght preparing loads of dishes for our little one and freezing them only for the little rascal to decide that re-heated previously frozen food is nothing near as nice as the real thing.. A few weeks of this and we gave up on it altogether.. Now if your little lady is happy enough with it, it'd be great.

To be honest, after I tried some of the re-heated stuff, it really wasn't anything near as nice as the freshly cooked dish has been at the start so I understood why it didn't work for us.

We had some mild success with mashed potatoes and gravy, some stew even and good thick vegetable soup as far as I remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

My lad's current favourites are:

sweet potato with fish (or shredded chicken), broccoli and cheese (just steam the veg and meat, mash it up, add some low-salt stock to taste and mix in some grated cheese)

butternut squash with pears and apple (again steam the lot and mash it up)

Beef or chicken stew (again, use low-salt stock in your normal recipe and the whole family can eat it)

Chicken or vegetarian curry (any standard recipe will do, just chop it all up into smaller pieces)

All of these freeze well. I try to do four recipes at a time so that he doesn't get sick of eating the same thing every day. I also mix it up with fresh meals (like scrambled egg or beans on toast, macaroni cheese with veg, or avocado mashed up with cream cheese) so that there's a bit of variety. He goes mad for wedges made out of sweet potato, parsnip, carrot and beetroot (steamed first and then baked until they start to get crispy). And he often just gets whatever we're having - I just give him bits off our plate and let him work away himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bill2673

Mashed up avocado is a staple for our young guy, often with banana added.

Porridge with banana mashed up for breakfast.

And it was so obvious, we didn't even think of it until my granny said to me, why don't you give him a mashed up spud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Great suggestions guys, out of desperation I've been dicing up mixed veg like turnip, carrot, potato, parsnip and steaming it and thats going down a treat. Jez's Cat you have yourself sorted, whats low salt stock.

• Advertisement
Advertisement