Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fake Notes - what to do?? WARNING!!!

Options
  • 22-08-2010 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hello,

Last sunday night I got a taxi on Westmoreland st home, its a short trip and came to just under €10, I had a few drinks and in my stupidty handed a €50 and got €40 back. It was dark and i just put the money in my pocket and carried on, on tuesday I opened my wallet to see how much I had and it jumped out that I had 2 forged €20 notes which I got from the taxi driver.. They were very poor quality & it jumped out at me by only seeing a corner of the note..

Anyway I know there is nothing to be done for me but I want to do 2 things,

1, advice people to be more careul than I was & to make sure and check the notes as I doubt I was the first person this driver caught.

2, ask is it worthwhile handing these to the gardai to see if they can do anything to prevent this happening to another person as I have to admit I felt gutted when I noticed and I dont want any other honest person to be caught like I was.

Opinions please..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Did you receive a receipt from the taxi? (By law, you are supposed to receive one). This will have the taxi meter number on it and therefore they can track the driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Har0ld x9

I did not get a receipt.. I know they are supposed to issue a receipt but in practice I have never seen this happen.

I asked some of my friends and work colleagues and they never get or request a receipt.

Dont know if there is much point in handing them to the guards if they can do nothing with them.. might just be better to burn them..

The serial number is the exact same on both notes also..

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭com1

Report it to the Gardai and give them the notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,039 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

dudara wrote: »
    Did you receive a receipt from the taxi? (By law, you are supposed to receive one). This will have the taxi meter number on it and therefore they can track the driver.

I think I have only once or twice been offered a receipt by a taxi driver in the last 3 years, and I've never once been willfully given one.

(Not doubting you Dudara, just noting how useless taxi drivers are in following the law)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

But its also up to the consumer to protect themselves aswell. If you dont get one, ask for one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Har0ld x9

I reported it the Gardai and handed them the notes.. doubt they can do much unless someone else who was caught by this driver had his taxi license number..

I dont think this guy would be in the business of giving out receipts if he is handing out dud notes!!

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

Har0ld x9 wrote: »
    I reported it the Gardai and handed them the notes.. doubt they can do much unless someone else who was caught by this driver had his taxi license number..

I dont think this guy would be in the business of giving out receipts if he is handing out dud notes!!

Do you know what company the taxi was from ?

Did he radio into base when he picked you up ?

If you can direct the Gardai towards a company, they'll know which of their drivers picked you up !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

see if the guards can check the cameras on westmoreland st and get the reg?
    do you know what time you got the taxi at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭chappy

no offence but the taxi driver may not have known what he was doing...maybe he had been caught by a previous customer...?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,039 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

chappy wrote: »
    no offence but the taxi driver may not have known what he was doing...maybe he had been caught by a previous customer...?

From the OPs description of the notes and how bad the quality was, I highly doubt he was oblivious to it.

And if he knew he had been stung, he's even worse for passing them off.

• Advertisement
Advertisement