Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most over rated Irish player

• 22-08-2010 10:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭

Most over rated Irish player ever.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

He'd rather win the Premiership than WC? What is his problem, besides being unable to tell if his grannies are alive or dead?

Well he was never going to win the world cup with Ireland.
    Mister men wrote: »

Wrong.Most over rated Irish player ever = Robbie 'on the move' Keane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Dub13 wrote: »

Over-rated at club level? Maybe.

Over-rated for his country? Not by any stretch of the imagination.

Robbie has always done a great job for Ireland, and 43 goals in 100 caps is a brilliant return for the lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Well he was never going to win the world cup with Ireland.

most over rated irish player ever = packie (agile as a sack of spuds ) bonner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

irishh_bob wrote: »
    most over rated irish player ever = packie (agile as a sack of spuds ) bonner

Perhaps overrated but I struggle to remember any mistakes he made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

gosplan wrote: »

WHAT?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

gosplan wrote: »

off the top of my head...Orlando

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Ridiculous. His scoring averages beg to differ sir. Moreover, when you watch him live in the flesh his creativity and movement just shine through. Television doesn't do him justice (and I know you seen him play for Liverpool live a number of times obviously).

Quite surprised you would hold such an opinion to be perfectly honest.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Ridiculous. His scoring averages beg to differ sir. Moreover, when you watch him live in the flesh his creativity and movement just shine through. Television doesn't do him justice (and I know you seen him play for Liverpool live a number of times obviously).

Quite surprised you would hold such an opinion to be perfectly honest.

Its obviously hard to say who has been the most over rated Irish player ever,when I made the comment it was in jest but I would stand by the clam that Keane is in the top 5 over rated Irish players of all time and he may well be the most over rated I have just never sat down a taught it all through.

This is all relative to there abilities,for example one could put an argument forward that a certain Keith O'Neill (to name but one) should be on the list.But thats at the other end of the spectrum the more promising up and coming player,for this Keane debate we will only deal with players who have mad it as to be honest there has been to many a good up and coming lad who fell of the radar.

Keane's recored is very impressive especially at international level,he is our top scorer by far.Nobody here needs me to put forward the fact that he tends not to score against the bigger nations,and also remember he made his first appearance for Ireland when he was 17/18 so has had a long time to rack up those 40 odd goals.

No why am I calling him over ratted,well its not his fault over the last few weeks I have heard talk of him breaking the British and Irish recored for goals scored at Int level.This to me is suggestion that Keane is better than the likes of Bobby Charlton,Gary Lineker,Owen,Fowler etc etc.This to me is over rating Keane big time.

Keane has talent,yes in abundance he is maybe the best Irish goal scorer ever.But to put him in the same sentence as people like Bobby Charlton just because of a silly record is over rating the lad.

You can still be a very good player and over rated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

Its obviously hard to say who has been the most over rated Irish player ever,when I made the comment it was in jest but I would stand by the clam that Keane is in the top 5 over rated Irish players of all time and he may well be the most over rated I have just never sat down a taught it all through.

This is all relative to there abilities,for example one could put an argument forward that a certain Keith O'Neill (to name but one) should be on the list.But thats at the other end of the spectrum the more promising up and coming player,for this Keane debate we will only deal with players who have mad it as to be honest there has been to many a good up and coming lad who fell of the radar.

Keane's recored is very impressive especially at international level,he is our top scorer by far.Nobody here needs me to put forward the fact that he tends not to score against the bigger nations,and also remember he made his first appearance for Ireland when he was 17/18 so has had a long time to rack up those 40 odd goals.

No why am I calling him over ratted,well its not his fault over the last few weeks I have heard talk of him breaking the British and Irish recored for goals scored at Int level.This to me is suggestion that Keane is better than the likes of Bobby Charlton,Gary Lineker,Owen,Fowler etc etc.This to me is over rating Keane big time.

Keane has talent,yes in abundance he is maybe the best Irish goal scorer ever.But to put him in the same sentence as people like Bobby Charlton just because of a silly record is over rating the lad.

germany,italy,france off the top of my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Yeah, I kind of hate this point.

All strikers have better scoring records against crap opposition (apart from the freak that is Darren Bent:D) but particularly when it comes to a country like Ireland.

Take the last match for an example. Ireland didn't really have the ball until after half time because Argentina were just far far better than us at retaining it. Should matches like this really count as evidence for Robbie being a flat track bully?

• Advertisement

What was the gap between Germany & Italy...? 7 Years I think,could have been 8.

Lads to save the other Stephen Ireland thread I have split these posts away as I think this could be an interesting debate and merits its own thread.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Andy Reid ;)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Liam Miller

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Gary Breen obviously, the amount of people who dream of a team of Gary Breens really has me confused. Was he really that good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

John Aldridge played in much better Irish teams than Robbie Keane, he was a more highly rated player too.

Aldridge has 19 goals in 69 internationals for the ROI at an average of .27 goals per game. Robbie Keane has 43 goals in 100 internationals at an average of .43 goals per game.

Your thought?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Shay given has to be the most overrated

eagle eye wrote: »
    John Aldridge played in much better Irish teams than Robbie Keane, he was a more highly rated player too.

Aldridge has 19 goals in 69 internationals for the ROI at an average of .27 goals per game. Robbie Keane has 43 goals in 100 internationals at an average of .43 goals per game.

Your thought?

Its not about averages,Aldo was good the record holder for a while I think but I never heard him been compared to some of the world greats the same as Keane has been the last while.

Both are super players in the Irish context,only one is been put up on a pedestal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

niallo27 wrote: »

Head is gone blank at the minute I am struggling to think of Irish Players that are over rated as a lot of them wouldnt have been rated at all, players like mcshane ect.

But Given isnt a bad shout as he is definately over rated by many Irish fans just not sure is he the most over rated as some of the praise he gets is definately deserved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I would not regard Robbie Keane as overrated at all. I think in many ways he is underrated by virtue of the constant criticism he gets from Irish fans. I think he's a classic example of a player who won't be properly appreciated until he's gone. If he suffered a long-term injury and missed the bulk of our campaign we'd be well and truly screwed. People forget the slim pickings we've had up front. It wasn't that long ago that we had a front duo of Keane and Duff. Throughout the years Keane has been an ever-present and his goals to games record for Ireland is terrific. He's an easy pick in my personal all-time Ireland XI.

I would probably say Packie Bonner is the most overrated Irish player ever. He rightly has a warm place in the hearts of fans for the penalty save against Timofte but I feel this tends to gloss over the errors he could be prone to at times. I believe Given is a far better keeper and one example of Bonner being overrated is when fans name their all-time XI and put Bonner in goal. That has always baffled me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Jesus Dub, I've seen some bad posts, but I've never seen a post in which someone digs themself deeper so much.

Keane as one of the top 5 over-rated Irish players? Come off it, and look past what happened when he was at Liverpool, which Im sure is clouding your judgement. The lad has scored 43 goals in 100 matches. That's a better goals to game ratio than the likes of Rooney, Torres or Tevez have for their own respective countries. And these are players who are constantly among the top seeded teams at International level, and thus play inferior opposition all of the time. Keane has managed his record in a vastly inferior Irish side. To say he's never scored against the big nations either is factually incorrect - Germany (one of only two players to score against them in 2002, the other being Ronaldo), Italy and France beg to differ. Robbie Keane has rarely ever let us down on the big stage. Sure, he's not a fashionable striker, he complains a lot and can be quite frustating. But he's our all time leading goal scorer and he's there on merit. When you look at some of the other strikers to pull on an Irish shirt - Elliot, Stokes, Long et al, you'll find yourself very thankful we have Robbie. And as far people mentioning him in the same breath as Charlton, Lineker, Fowler, Owen etc. - you're the only person I've ever seen do that just there now. The only reason people are talking about him breaking that record is because he's worked damn hard to do so. The record doesn't rank great players, it ranks great goalscorers and in that regard - scoring goals for your national team - Robbie Keane is damn well near the top. You also point to him having an advantage having made his debut at 17 like it's a bad thing. I say fair bloody play for the lad to add some longevity to his career and still perform at the highest level for Ireland, unlike Owen and Fowler, two of the lads you mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Mister men wrote: »

I don't get it. Is this a question or a statement?

What a shit way to start a thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Aiden McGeady, he's actually RUBBISH.

I would not regard Robbie Keane as overrated at all. I think in many ways he is underrated by virtue of the constant criticism he gets from Irish fans. I think he's a classic example of a player who won't be properly appreciated until he's gone. If he suffered a long-term injury and missed the bulk of our campaign we'd be well and truly screwed. People forget the slim pickings we've had up front. It wasn't that long ago that we had a front duo of Keane and Duff. Throughout the years Keane has been an ever-present and his goals to games record for Ireland is terrific. He's an easy pick in my personal all-time Ireland XI.

You can still be a great Irish player and be over rated.For example,Keane would not get near the current England team yet he is been compared to there best ever goal scorer.Is that not pushing the boat out a bit...?He is good but not in that league.

Its not about averages,Aldo was good the record holder for a while I think but I never heard him been compared to some of the world greats the same as Keane has been the last while.

Both are super players in the Irish context,only one is been put up on a pedestal.
    What are you going on about? Keane being compared to world greats?

You must be hanging out with some strange people, I've never heard anybody spout nonsense like that.

Aldridge was much more highly touted when he was at Liverpool than Robbie Keane has ever been.

You say its not about averages. I put it to you that Keane has been a much better player for the ROI than Aldridge. He has not been as highly rated as Aldo so if Keane is overrated then Aldo is even more overrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Bonner was extremely over-rated and error prone. One save and the adoration of the ignorant masses in Italia 90 meant he received much higher praise than he should. That save to keep us in Italia 90 seems to mean more than his flap at USA 94.

McGeady is the most over-rated player at the minute amongst certain fans. A bit successful in a joke league, yet he is spoken of like he is Ronaldinho by some Celtic fans. I would even argue that he was not actually that good for Celtic, let alone good enough to well play in England or international football.

Bonner was extremely over-rated and error prone. One save and the adoration of the ignorant masses in Italia 90 meant he received much higher praise than he should. That save to keep us in Italia 90 seems to mean more than his flap at USA 94.

McGeady is the most over-rated player at the minute amongst certain fans. A bit successful in a joke league, yet he is spoken of like he is Ronaldinho by some Celtic fans. I would even argue that he was not actually that good for Celtic, let alone good enough to well play in England or international football.
    McGeady is most underrated player I've ever come across wearing the green of Ireland.

I'm not a Celtic fan, I don't even watch the SPL but McGeady has more talent in his toe nail that some ROI players who are constantly getting praised. He does have to learn a few things but he is supremely talented and extremely underrated by Irish fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

You can still be a great Irish player and be over rated.For example,Keane would not get near the current England team yet he is been compared to there best ever goal scorer.Is that not pushing the boat out a bit...?He is good but not in that league.

Why should he be compared to Charlton or other British players? If we're discussing Irish players then we should compare him to the likes of Aldridge, Stapleton and Quinn. In my view if he scores more goals than Charlton it doesn't make him a better player than Charlton. I think it means that he scored more goals in a poorer team than Charlton did, which in a way makes his feat even more impressive.

I think to suggest he is overrated implies he could be doing more than he has done. I honestly don't think he could have given any more over the years. When there is a big moment and you need a goal, invariably Robbie Keane is the one that comes up with the goods - as happened against Iran, Germany, Spain, Italy, France etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

Kevin Kilbane.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Kevin Kilbane.

Take that back. He is a genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

FearDark wrote: »
    Aiden McGeady, he's actually RUBBISH.

Where would I start with a statement like that. I've heard people say before that they didn't rate him but to call him "Rubbish" proves what you must know about football.

He's gone to Moscow you know.

No Celtic fan I know ever praised McGeady that highly, when he made his debut everyone was excited by his potential. He never made it to the level that his potential promised i.e in the same league as a Messi or Ronaldo but he has delivered though. Look at the awards he has won in his short career.

Celtic FC Young Player of the Year (2005, 2006, 2007)
    Celtic FC Fans Player of the Year (2008)
    Celtic FC Players' Player of the Year (2008, 2010)
    SPFA Players' Player of the Year (2008)
    SPFA Young Player of the Year (2008)
    BBC Sportsound Player of the Year (2008)
    Clydesdale Bank Young Player of the Year (2008)

Scottish Premier League Player of the Month (5)
    Scottish Premier League Young Player of the Month (6)
    Eircom Republic of Ireland Young Player of the Year (2009)

To suggest he wasn't a good player for Celtic is laughable. Look at what he won in 2008 alone. Spartak paid 10million pounds for him, Trappatoni always praises him, Birmingham City and Aston Villa both came close to signing him. That should cover your last sentence.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I can accept the argument that Shay is overrated by Irish fans, but this man has saved our asses on far too many occasions to be anywhere near this thread imo

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭mormank

Yes right now Keane may not get near the England team but to say he would not have throughout his career is simply incorrect. There was a stage in his career when he was the top scorer during the calendar year. He may not have been a guaranteed starter like he is for ireland but he wouldve racked up around 50 caps at least during his time, perhaps more depending on how he played during those caps. Look at Zamora and tell me with a straight face you would rather him to Keane playing for Ireland, go on, try it with a straight face....and Bobby played for England last week!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

Ronnie Fúcking Whelan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

mormank wrote: »
    Yes right now Keane may not get near the England team but to say he would not have throughout his career is simply incorrect. There was a stage in his career when he was the top scorer during the calendar year. He may not have been a guaranteed starter like he is for ireland but he wouldve racked up around 50 caps at least during his time, perhaps more depending on how he played during those caps. Look at Zamora and tell me with a straight face you would rather him to Keane playing for Ireland, go on, try it with a straight face....and Bobby played for England last week!!

Exactly. Heskey, Bent, Defoe, Crouch? I'd have Keane in my team over them anyday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Archimedes wrote: »
    And as far people mentioning him in the same breath as Charlton, Lineker, Fowler, Owen etc. - you're the only person I've ever seen do that just there now.

+1

Seriously Dub, WTF are you on about :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'd probably say Given.He's a good keeper but I would say he's overrated a bit.Not many others come to mind really that I've seen.

You see this is the kind of stuff I mean,50 caps for England....Andy Cole got 14,Fowler got 26.

It would seem my views on Kean are somewhat controversial.Well I call it as I see it and for years now I have heard people in the media,on forums and in person big up Keane to make him out to be much more of a player than he is.This is not to take away from the fact that he is a great player but in my opinion he has an elevated importance in most Irish peoples minds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Archimedes wrote: »
    Jesus Dub, I've seen some bad posts, but I've never seen a post in which someone digs themself deeper so much.

Keane as one of the top 5 over-rated Irish players? Come off it, and look past what happened when he was at Liverpool, which Im sure is clouding your judgement. The lad has scored 43 goals in 100 matches. That's a better goals to game ratio than the likes of Rooney, Torres or Tevez have for their own respective countries. And these are players who are constantly among the top seeded teams at International level, and thus play inferior opposition all of the time. Keane has managed his record in a vastly inferior Irish side. To say he's never scored against the big nations either is factually incorrect - Germany (one of only two players to score against them in 2002, the other being Ronaldo), Italy and France beg to differ. Robbie Keane has rarely ever let us down on the big stage. Sure, he's not a fashionable striker, he complains a lot and can be quite frustating. But he's our all time leading goal scorer and he's there on merit. When you look at some of the other strikers to pull on an Irish shirt - Elliot, Stokes, Long et al, you'll find yourself very thankful we have Robbie. And as far people mentioning him in the same breath as Charlton, Lineker, Fowler, Owen etc. - you're the only person I've ever seen do that just there now. The only reason people are talking about him breaking that record is because he's worked damn hard to do so. The record doesn't rank great players, it ranks great goalscorers and in that regard - scoring goals for your national team - Robbie Keane is damn well near the top. You also point to him having an advantage having made his debut at 17 like it's a bad thing. I say fair bloody play for the lad to add some longevity to his career and still perform at the highest level for Ireland, unlike Owen and Fowler, two of the lads you mentioned.

nod-1.gif

Lest we forget Keane scoring in the Amsterdam arena, or scoring the settler against Iran in a massive match. Or the work he has always got through up there for us...

I just don't get it to be honest. He has never been considered one of the top strikers in Europe or the World. So to what standard is he overrated? He has scored 206 goals in 525 games at club level (just shy of 1 in 2), and is a player who brings so much more to the table in terms of general play than someone like Jermaine Defoe or Darren Bent.

Again, you've just got to watch him from the stands, where you can see the stuff the camera misses. One game in particular I remember was a Champions League against Eindhoven in December 2008. I was with a mate of mine who's a UEFA licensed coach and derives his sole income from football coaching, and we were just blown away by his whole performance. Running the show, one man offense. Everything going through him, pulling defenders away to make space for others, cutting in and out of runs the whole time - just epic work off the ball. The traveling fans around us were generally impressed too.

Then I got home to Dublin to see people on here / the papers / mates of mine who'd watched it on television complaining about his performance. So much of what he did was outside the scope of a television screen.

By any analysis, he's had a very solid career at the top level. He's scored goals at a great clip, and always been able to play football around that. He works incredibly hard, is physically durable, and has developed leadership characteristics as the years have gone by. I'd say that for a lot of the last 10 years Keane has been within the top 10 - 15 forwards in the Premiership. That's pretty solid.

But at International level, when you consider the full careers of all the players who have pulled on a green shirt he is right up there. If you want to argue Stapleton or Robinson were more talented, fine. That Givens was a better finisher, that Quinn or Aldridge led the line in a more direct fashion, fine. But none of those guys where there as one of the first names on the teamsheet for as long, and none of them offered near the bulk production Keane has manged. Keane is at the bottom of the top tier of Irish footballers - the Giles, Keane and Bradys of this world, i.e. guys who the show has fallen upon for an extended period.

And he's got a few big games for us left in the tank yet you know.

titan18 wrote: »
    I'd probably say Given.He's a good keeper but I would say he's overrated a bit.Not many others come to mind really that I've seen.

The most overrated irish player of all time??? The answer simply is NOT Shay Given so can folks stop mentioning his name in this thread. I realise it is your opinion and ye are entitled to it but your opinion in this case is wrong! Simples

Besides who entitled everyone to their own opinion on stuff anyway??? Some people simply should not be allowed to have an opinion on anything!!

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote: »
    +1

Seriously Dub, WTF are you on about :confused:

To put a more contemporary slant on it.You ask an Irish person to name the top goal scores in the history of the Premiership (I hate starting stats from then) and 99% of them will have Keane in there list.

Ask a non Irish person the same question and see what kind of a list gets thrown up.Keane is I think 11th on the all time Premiership,but this is inflated because he started playing so young.He is nowhere near the 11th best striker to have played in the Premiership,I know the list measure's goals and not outright talent but IMO most Irish people miss this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Past - mick mc carthy - one paced donkey

Present - mc geady - show pony who can't cross

The most overrated irish player of all time??? The answer simply is NOT Shay Given so can folks stop mentioning his name in this thread. I realise it is your opinion and ye are entitled to it but your opinion in this case is wrong! Simples

Besides who entitled everyone to their own opinion on stuff anyway??? Some people simply should not be allowed to have an opinion on anything!!

Well he is the perfect example, good keeper but not world class, who would you have in there

You see this is the kind of stuff I mean,50 caps for England....Andy Cole got 14,Fowler got 26.

It would seem my views on Kean are somewhat controversial.Well I call it as I see it and for years now I have heard people in the media,on forums and in person big up Keane to make him out to be much more of a player than he is.This is not to take away from the fact that he is a great player but in my opinion he has an elevated importance in most Irish peoples minds.

Well andy cole and robbie fowler are victims of there era im afraid. they both played when england were striker rich. alan shearer was a certain starter and the likes of sheringham was around also. Keane would not have the same problem and is a better player than heskey ever was and look at the number of caps he has accumulated over the years!!!

Ronnie Fúcking Whelan
    GTFO!!!

Ronnie Fúcking Whelan

It's a bit harsh to mention him, especially since his penis stoped worked, it's like playing pool with a rope for him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Kevin Doyle - lack of decent Irish players up front for years now means he has won more caps than he should of IMHO!

Well he is the perfect example, good keeper but not world class, who would you have in there

well its a tricky question to give an answer to. let me narrow it down a little, are we talking who right now is rated as excellent or whatever and falls short of this rating in reality or are we talking about players who were rated as excellent in the past but who we can all see now are not even nearly as good as they were meant to be at the time?? for example liam miller was meant to be the next big thing but we can all see now that he wasnt, can i name him??? i would say perhaps not because he is not rated as all that good tbh, but he was at one stage so who knows....Phil Babb is a good shout in my eyes. Or how about Steven Reid?? Always spoken of very highly but has never done anything really in an irish jersey...ran up and down the wing alot in WC 2002 when he got on...but this is just off the top of my head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Andy Reid, the guy cant even make the Sunderland team yet our so called panel of experts think he is God-like

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Keane is at the bottom of the top tier of Irish footballers - the Giles, Keane and Bradys of this world, i.e. guys who the show has fallen upon for an extended period.

And he's got a few big games for us left in the tank yet you know.

Lloyd,we may have some common ground here.I have said that Keane is one of the great Irish players,I just think his status has been inflated because of the longevity of his career.

• Advertisement
Advertisement