Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most over rated Irish player

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

mormank wrote: »
    The most overrated irish player of all time??? The answer simply is NOT Shay Given so can folks stop mentioning his name in this thread. I realise it is your opinion and ye are entitled to it but your opinion in this case is wrong! Simples

Besides who entitled everyone to their own opinion on stuff anyway??? Some people simply should not be allowed to have an opinion on anything!!

In the last 12 years or so, which is only what I can call in tbh, too young to judge players before that, I'd say Given. There's not many players who I'd rate in that period, so putting him alongside the Keanes,Irwin etc,I'd go with Given

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Robbie Keane has been the best Irish player of the past 10 years - no question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

well its a tricky question to give an answer to. let me narrow it down a little, are we talking who right now is rated as excellent or whatever and falls short of this rating in reality or are we talking about players who were rated as excellent in the past but who we can all see now are not even nearly as good as they were meant to be at the time?? for example liam miller was meant to be the next big thing but we can all see now that he wasnt, can i name him??? i would say perhaps not because he is not rated as all that good tbh, but he was at one stage so who knows....Phil Babb is a good shout in my eyes. Or how about Steven Reid?? Always spoken of very highly but has never done anything really in an irish jersey...ran up and down the wing alot in WC 2002 when he got on...but this is just off the top of my head

Well it's not an insult at Shay, he is a good keeper I just think he is overated a bit, I don't see the point of this thread really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Dub13 wrote: »
    I have said that Keane is one of the great Irish players,I just think his status has been inflated because of the longevity of his career.

You said he is the most overrated Irish player ever. Im embarrassed for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

ColeTrain wrote: »
    He's gone to Moscow you know.

No way! Maybe you could point out that JFK has been shot or some other breaking news.

No Celtic fan I know ever praised McGeady that highly, when he made his debut everyone was excited by his potential. He never made it to the level that his potential promised i.e in the same league as a Messi or Ronaldo but he has delivered though. Look at the awards he has won in his short career.

Celtic FC Young Player of the Year (2005, 2006, 2007)
    Celtic FC Fans Player of the Year (2008)
    Celtic FC Players' Player of the Year (2008, 2010)
    SPFA Players' Player of the Year (2008)
    SPFA Young Player of the Year (2008)
    BBC Sportsound Player of the Year (2008)
    Clydesdale Bank Young Player of the Year (2008)

Scottish Premier League Player of the Month (5)
    Scottish Premier League Young Player of the Month (6)
    Eircom Republic of Ireland Young Player of the Year (2009)

To suggest he wasn't a good player for Celtic is laughable. Look at what he won in 2008 alone. Spartak paid 10million pounds for him, Trappatoni always praises him, Birmingham City and Aston Villa both came close to signing him. That should cover your last sentence.

First off, that list of awards is almost entirely from 2008. He had one season where he was more than just decent. But judged from a wide view, he was no more than a decent player in the Celtic team, one that was poor against Rangers and European teams. He was never THAT good in Scotland.

As for the line about Birmingham and Villa. Well first off, Maloney (a better player at Celtic than McGeady in his first stint) actually signed for Villa and could not make the cut. Just because a team in the Premiership is linked with buying somebody, does not mean they are good enough to make it in England.

McGeady would not make it in England in my view. He is far, far, far too ineffective. He rarely ever puts in a good cross or pass in a game against decent opposition. Georgia is the only game I remember him making an impact for Ireland. He has had plenty of chances to make a mark at this stage.

You say Trappatoni always praises him, well I'd point out that Trap has continued to drop him whenever he can. That he is dropped in favour of Liam Lawrence, a career journeyman, shows up his performances for Ireland. Lawrence has already done more for Ireland than McGeady. He is an extremely average player that made his name in a Mickey Mouse League. A league where the best players are struggling to make an impact in the second tier of English football. A league where signings come from the third tier of English football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

McGeady
    Dunne (he's not bad, but he isnt as great as people make him out)
    Andy Reid

Past - mick mc carthy - one paced donkey

Present - mc geady - show pony who can't cross

Big Mick was extremely over rated here. He owes David O'Leary 50+ caps.

Plus to add a positive spin, Robbie Keane and Damien Duff are under-rated by a lot of Irish people. And occasionally over-rated by others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Pauleta wrote: »
    McGeady
    Dunne (he's not bad, but he isnt as great as people make him out)
    Andy Reid

McGeady will be the second best player, if given the chance. The guy is Walcott with 21% more intelligence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭mormank

niallo27 wrote: »
    Well it's not an insult at Shay, he is a good keeper I just think he is overated a bit, I don't see the point of this thread really

Well the question was is he the MOST over rated irish player of all time?? This kind of wishy washy "well he is over rated..a bit" doesnt cut it. It is a yes or no question, is Shay Given in your view the MOST over rated irish international player of all time or not???

P.S. if the question was is shay given over rated a bit we wouldnt be having this discussion but that is NOT the question on the table.

• Advertisement

Well the question was is he the MOST over rated irish player of all time?? This kind of wishy washy "well he is over rated..a bit" doesnt cut it. It is a yes or no question, is Shay Given in your view the MOST over rated irish international player of all time or not???

P.S. if the question was is shay given over rated a bit we wouldnt be having this discussion but that is NOT the question on the table.

Yes your right I think Shay is the most overated player, he can't control his defence, always stuck on his line, could make a mistake and the makes a brilliant save and everyone is **** over him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Colm_purchase

Phil Babb
    Was lucky enough to have McGrath play beside him for a world cup who incidently could have helped Twink look good as a centre-half partner.
    Got a move to Liverpool based on that world cup and Im sure all pool fans have happy happy memories of his time there:D
    Long before my time but id imagine Eamon Dunphy talked his way into getting Irish caps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Can't believe nobody has mentioned Duff! Especially for Ireland, he is terribly over rated. He does a few tricks and fancy stuff but nothing of real class, like the way people talk about him you would swear Ireland have their own Messi!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

dorgasm wrote: »
    Can't believe nobody has mentioned Duff! Especially for Ireland, he is terribly over rated. He does a few tricks and fancy stuff but nothing of real class, like the way people talk about him you would swear Ireland have their own Messi!

I think only the France game in Paris has been his real quality Irish display (not counting friendlies or the Andorra type games), since he left Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    . So to what standard is he overrated? He has scored 206 goals in 525 games at club level (just shy of 1 in 2), .

No to be overly pedantic but unless you have a big opinion of the word just it's not near 1 in 2. 206 x 2 = 412. Which is 56.5 goals off 1 in 2 or more than 20%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

dorgasm wrote: »

I think Duff has always been rated quite reasonably. Right now, I never hear anyone claim him to be brilliant and I think it's understood that he is at a Europa League kind of a standard. Even that rating could be a touch harsh, he did incredibly well today for Davies' goal.

A few years ago he was given a decent amount of hype, but that was deserved. How many players could get on the UEFA team of the year whilst at a club like Blackburn! He did well at Chelsea too, particularly his first 2 seasons. I think he deserved all the plaudits he got.

His years at Newcastle saw him drop in standard but most people recognised that and he isn't talked as if he's anywhere near Messi!

As so far as Ireland is concerned, he is a valuable player for us because firstly there is nobody else, secondly his experience is important and thirdly he still can produce pieces of magic, you only need to be watching MOTD2 tonight to see him school one of the Prem's best left backs!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

CiaranC wrote: »
    You said he is the most overrated Irish player ever. Im embarrassed for you.

Thanks for that contribution,its very insightful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Warper wrote: »
    McGeady will be the second best player, if given the chance. The guy is Walcott with 21% more intelligence.

He's been given 30+ games. I constitute that as a "chance".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

No way! Maybe you could point out that JFK has been shot or some other breaking news.

First off, that list of awards is almost entirely from 2008. He had one season where he was more than just decent. But judged from a wide view, he was no more than a decent player in the Celtic team, one that was poor against Rangers and European teams. He was never THAT good in Scotland.

As for the line about Birmingham and Villa. Well first off, Maloney (a better player at Celtic than McGeady in his first stint) actually signed for Villa and could not make the cut. Just because a team in the Premiership is linked with buying somebody, does not mean they are good enough to make it in England.

McGeady would not make it in England in my view. He is far, far, far too ineffective. He rarely ever puts in a good cross or pass in a game against decent opposition. Georgia is the only game I remember him making an impact for Ireland. He has had plenty of chances to make a mark at this stage.

You say Trappatoni always praises him, well I'd point out that Trap has continued to drop him whenever he can. That he is dropped in favour of Liam Lawrence, a career journeyman, shows up his performances for Ireland. Lawrence has already done more for Ireland than McGeady. He is an extremely average player that made his name in a Mickey Mouse League. A league where the best players are struggling to make an impact in the second tier of English football. A league where signings come from the third tier of English football.

More than decent in 2008 you say? He was outstanding that season.

McGeady has always performed well against Rangers, even scoring and getting the MOTM award in the league cup final.

Lionel Messi said he was Celtic's biggest threat when they played in the
    Champions league and would easily make it in Spain. McGeady created two goals that night and made Puyol look like a fool. If you want to see the bench mark of European performances watch his games against Benfica, home and away 2008. Tore the fullback to shreds.
    Last season, for example, McGeady was joint first in the creation of goals in the SPL with 14 assists. Steven Davis of Rangers who spent most of the season playing wide with the champions, also created 14. McGeady scored seven goals to three by the Northern Irishman. Indeed, as far back as 2007, McGeady was the most prolific creator of chances in the league with 16. He was not a regular taker of set-pieces so statistics show he was the best at creating goals from open play.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/spl/celtic/the-right-choices-on-the-field-and-brave-ones-off-it-have-led-aiden-mcgeady-to-leave-celtic-1.1047162

Maloney has nothing to do with anything. It's well known he doesn't have the self belief to make it at the top but McGeady does.

Everyone knows how Trappatoni likes his team to play. Lawrence is better at backtracking and has done well. Whenever Trap wants a goal or some creativity then who does he bring on.

I'm not saying he is a world beater but to rate him as only a "decent player for Celtic" is idiotic. He has been carrying Celtic's attack since Nakamura left and usually is double marked, kicked up and down the pitch with little protection from officials and had to put up with sectarian bile at most away grounds.
    When Celtic played Arsenal last season he was the only player that looked comfortable. He was surrounded with inferior players for too long. Shame he was never in MON's team.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

off the top of my head...Orlando

Schillachi aswell.

Always thaught he was a very over-rated keeper myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Gary Doherty, no contest! Lad probably couldn't believe his luck. The ginger Pele

• Advertisement

First off go back and look at what I quoted you on, you seemed to think he was still a Celtic player.

This is my exact original post...note the use of past tense when talking about McGeady at Celtic.

"McGeady is the most over-rated player at the minute amongst certain fans. A bit successful in a joke league, yet he is spoken of like he is Ronaldinho by some Celtic fans. I would even argue that he was not actually that good for Celtic, let alone good enough to well play in England or international football."
    More than decent in 2008 you say? He was outstanding that season.

McGeady has always performed well against Rangers, even scoring and getting the MOTM award in the league cup final.

Lionel Messi said he was Celtic's biggest threat when they played in the
    Champions league and would easily make it in Spain. McGeady created two goals that night and made Puyol look like a fool. If you want to see the bench mark of European performances watch his games against Benfica, home and away 2008. Tore the fullback to shreds.

I have reguarly watched Old Firm derbies and heard the usual "McGeady is unusually quiet today" stuff. And he has made very little impact in Europe. Messi may have said that, but did you expect him to say anything different? He is hardly going to say "He was useless. He would never make it Spain".
    Maloney has nothing to do with anything. It's well known he doesn't have the self belief to make it at the top but McGeady does.

You said that English teams had been linked with McGeady, saying that this means he is good enough for England. I pointed out somebody who played in the same team as McGeady and who actually got a move to England and flopped. Using Maloney is a pretty decent comparison given their similar career backgrounds.
    Everyone knows how Trappatoni likes his team to play. Lawrence is better at backtracking and has done well. Whenever Trap wants a goal or some creativity then who does he bring on.

I'm not saying he is a world beater but to rate him as only a "decent player for Celtic" is idiotic. He has been carrying Celtic's attack since Nakamura left and usually is double marked, kicked up and down the pitch with little protection from officials and had to put up with sectarian bile at most away grounds.
    When Celtic played Arsenal last season he was the only player that looked comfortable. He was surrounded with inferior players for too long. Shame he was never in MON's team.

Trappatoni uses the players he has. When he has managed other teams, he has used creative players when he had them. Ireland don't have any, so he uses what we actually have (Note: Andy Reid does not count either).

Carrying Celtic's attack is hardly like Apollo carrying Earth. They play in Scotland so they hardly have magnificent opposition. When an actual decent player is in Scotland, they tear it apart (Keane, Bellamy, Larsson etc). Even Kris Boyd and Scot McDonald looked good in Scotland. There is nothing idiotic about noting that a player in a team that loses the league to their ONLY rivals in a woeful league. He may get kicked at times, but he also plays in a league with some jokeshop defending. Anthony Stokes looks like a God up there at times. That says it all really.

He'll be back in Scotland soon enough.

I think only the France game in Paris has been his real quality Irish display (not counting friendlies or the Andorra type games), since he left Chelsea.

Injuries have had a major impact on Duff in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

Warper wrote: »
    Andy Reid, the guy cant even make the Sunderland team yet our so called panel of experts think he is God-like

It's quite difficult for a player to make the team when they're injured :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Colm_purchase

Just wondering if I missed the point here? Is this meant to about the most over rated Irish player ever or just counting those still playing:confused:
    I know the international team isnt at its strongest ever at present but soon enough I reckon all 25 players listed in the squad during the week will be put forward for this title!
    Seriously when you see people nominating Keane, Duff or Given for such a title it makes Stephen Ireland's decision to tell the Irish public to kiss his ass look like the best thing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭mormank

niallo27 wrote: »
    Yes your right I think Shay is the most overated player, he can't control his defence, always stuck on his line, could make a mistake and the makes a brilliant save and everyone is **** over him

You just made me almost choke on my tea with that one. thanks very much!!!

Seriously do you really think that or have you just been backed into a corner and are saying any old nonsense to try be proved right?? I'm sorry but you are wrong, Shay Given is not the answer we were looking for when asking who is ireland most over rated player ever. Please try again.

:rolleyes:

Seriously do you really think that or have you just been backed into a corner and are saying any old nonsense to try be proved right?? I'm sorry but you are wrong, Shay Given is not the answer we were looking for when asking who is ireland most over rated player ever. Please try again.

Theres always one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,379 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

When an actual decent player is in Scotland, they tear it apart (Keane, Bellamy, Larsson etc).

Actually, I think you will find that HL got plenty of sneering 'they are crap up there therefore my granny could score all them goals' type of comments when he played for Celtic at his peak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

M5 wrote: »
    Gary Doherty, no contest! Lad probably couldn't believe his luck. The ginger Pele

how can he be the most over rated irish player when nobody rates him, surely to be over rated they have to be rated in the first place.

redzerdrog wrote: »
    how can he be the most over rated irish player when nobody rates him, surely to be over rated they have to be rated in the first place.

He played in the national team, that in itself is overrating

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Think Stephen Ireland is at the moment, think he has been hyped up too much over here, he has the potential to be a very good player, but that is all it is at the moment, some already have him down as a world class midfielder, have heard people saying he is the best midfielder in the premiership.

This will be a big season for him imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

M5 wrote: »
    He played in the national team, that in itself is overrating

I think if that is what OP ment then he would have said worst Irish player of all time and Paul mcShane would have won hands down:p but I think he is talking about players that the irish public over rate thus meaning they are rated my many in the 1st place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Aiden McGeady. All I ever hear is praise for his skill and that he's just missing the "end product" that will come in time. Frankly I think he's useless.

redzerdrog wrote: »
    I think if that is what OP ment then he would have said worst Irish player of all time and Paul mcShane would have won hands down:p but I think he is talking about players that the irish public over rate thus meaning they are rated my many in the 1st place

wouldnt be far off alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,379 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Aiden McGeady. All I ever hear is praise for his skill

That your problem straight away, you only listen rather than watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Big Mick was extremely over rated here. He owes David O'Leary 50+ caps.

Plus to add a positive spin, Robbie Keane and Damien Duff are under-rated by a lot of Irish people. And occasionally over-rated by others.
    Big Mick was far from overrated here. In fact there was constant giving out about him being selected ahead of David O'Leary.

Its always the same thing, people just don't get how important it is to have a leader on the park. Big Mick was a great leader both on and off the pitch.

I have reguarly watched Old Firm derbies and heard the usual "McGeady is unusually quiet today" stuff. And he has made very little impact in Europe. Messi may have said that, but did you expect him to say anything different? He is hardly going to say "He was useless. He would never make it Spain".

Still, I'll take his opinion over yours.

You said that English teams had been linked with McGeady, saying that this means he is good enough for England. I pointed out somebody who played in the same team as McGeady and who actually got a move to England and flopped. Using Maloney is a pretty decent comparison given their similar career backgrounds.

I could use another example, Stan Petrov, seven years at Celtic and played with McGeady for a few seasons. He made it at Villa and was voted their player of the year last season.
    Trappatoni uses the players he has. When he has managed other teams, he has used creative players when he had them. Ireland don't have any, so he uses what we actually have (Note: Andy Reid does not count either).

Trappatoni rates him though.
    Carrying Celtic's attack is hardly like Apollo carrying Earth. They play in Scotland so they hardly have magnificent opposition. When an actual decent player is in Scotland, they tear it apart (Keane, Bellamy, Larsson etc). Even Kris Boyd and Scot McDonald looked good in Scotland. There is nothing idiotic about noting that a player in a team that loses the league to their ONLY rivals in a woeful league. He may get kicked at times, but he also plays in a league with some jokeshop defending. Anthony Stokes looks like a God up there at times. That says it all really.
    I never said that made him 'world class', you were the one who said he was "only decent for Celtic", so I explained to you why that was wrong.

Larsson was more than decent, there was a world class player.

You are bigging Stokes up to be "God", didn't do much today.

Boyd and MacDonald were never great players, they could put the ball in the net, that was it. No one would tell you they were brilliant, They would score goals in the Premiership as they are good finishers, nothing more.

He'll be back in Scotland soon enough

I'm sure he will, has family there and was born in Glasgow. Also is a Celtic fan so will be at Celtic park again for sure :pac:

Well I think your proving my point, I'm saying he is very good keeper and when I mentioned his flaws you said it was complete nonsense, so that my friend is why he is overrated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

That your problem straight away, you only listen rather than watch
    I'm not solely basing my opinion on what I hear. Anytime I see him play (granted it's only usually with Ireland, rarely saw him at Celtic) he just runs into blind alleys and loses the ball. But I suppose he's only young so we'll see. Another candidate would be Liam Miller (or at least he was overrated.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Kevin Kilbane.

29 replies until Zinedine was mentioned.I'm actually shocked,as I thought the thread was in honour of him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Stekelly wrote: »
    No to be overly pedantic but unless you have a big opinion of the word just it's not near 1 in 2. 206 x 2 = 412. Which is 56.5 goals off 1 in 2 or more than 20%.

No, by all means be pedantic! I'm flat out wrong, managed to misread that pretty badly. It's a goal every 2.5 games essentially which leaves him a level off the top strikers. But you need to balance that with the much greater all round contribution he provides to a team relative to some of the pure goal getters in Premiership history.
    To put a more contemporary slant on it.You ask an Irish person to name the top goal scores in the history of the Premiership (I hate starting stats from then) and 99% of them will have Keane in there list.

Ask a non Irish person the same question and see what kind of a list gets thrown up.Keane is I think 11th on the all time Premiership,but this is inflated because he started playing so young.He is nowhere near the 11th best striker to have played in the Premiership,I know the list measure's goals and not outright talent but IMO most Irish people miss this point.

You ask a German to name the 10 best central midfielders of the past 15 years and Roy Keane won't be in it. Does that mean Roy Keane wasn't that good? No. In the same way, who English people rank as the best players in any position or time frame is extremely irrelevant. Particularly when player ratings in England are as skewed by the English media machine as anywhere in the world. You'd have a lot of premiership followers who would claim Eric Cantona is one of the better players from the last quarter century when he is objectively nowhere near that level.

If that is the core of your argument - that Irish people are more aware of Robbie Keane's abilities than English people - then you have no argument. I know Kenny Dalglish, Graeme Souness and Alan Hansen were great footballers, but I guarantee that a Scotsman would reel their names off quicker if they were asked to name 50 great footballers on the spot.

For a footballer to be properly recognised for what they are requires them to perform at their very best in a World Cup or European Championship (or European Cup Final) in their prime years. Diego Forlan's legacy is now secure. I knew how good he was, how insane his strike rate was - but without this summer he isn't in a conversation of great players held by most football fans in 15 years time. If Roy Keane had stayed on in 2002 he would be rated much higher by the world at large than he currently is. The key point is that those ratings exist independent of how actually good the player was.

Finally, as far as counting longevity against him; bulk goals is not as relevant a measure of his production as his goal per game averages or his mean total of goals and assists per season. Keane has rocked up every year and stuck over 10 goals in the net, and played his part in another 10. There have been years where that's it, and a couple where there has been a lot more than that. You're making him out to be a 36 year old hanging around tucking in 4 goals a campaign and inching up some all time lists. It's just isn't what's happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Ian_K

Gillington wrote: »
    29 replies until Zinedine was mentioned.I'm actually shocked,as I thought the thread was in honour of him

For a player to be over rated somebody out there must think that theyre good!

eagle eye wrote: »
    Big Mick was far from overrated here. In fact there was constant giving out about him being selected ahead of David O'Leary.

Its always the same thing, people just don't get how important it is to have a leader on the park. Big Mick was a great leader both on and off the pitch.

That team had several leaders on and off the pitch. McCarthy was both under and over rated depending on who you talked to at the time.

Trappatoni rates him though.
    Still doesn't play him when it counts though. You left out the parts of my quote where I was talking about how McGeady has been consistently dropped by Trappatoni.
    You are bigging Stokes up to be "God", didn't do much today.

I don't want to keep the tit-for-tat thing going, but re-read my post. I was far from bigging up Stokes. You are constantly mis-interpreting what I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

I don't get it. Is this a question or a statement?

What a shit way to start a thread.

I think you missed this post on the 1st page
    Lads to save the other Stephen Ireland thread I have split these posts away as I think this could be an interesting debate and merits its own thread.

Most over-rated is a hard one though, it can't be Keane or Given, they have doen great for Ireland, they deserve they praise thye get imo. McGeady probably would be up there but not everyone rates him highly, a huge amount of potential too just lacks the final ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Keane's recored is very impressive especially at international level,he is our top scorer by far.Nobody here needs me to put forward the fact that he tends not to score against the bigger nations,and also remember he made his first appearance for Ireland when he was 17/18 so has had a long time to rack up those 40 odd goals.

You can still be a very good player and over rated.

Apart from Germany, France, Holland, Italy, Russia etc:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Most Overrated by a manager- Paul Mc Shane. I dont need to point out what the majority of Irish fans feel about this player. However, the manager must rate him in some way. I wouldnt have him on the team bus,never mind pitch.

Still doesn't play him when it counts though. You left out the parts of my quote where I was talking about how McGeady has been consistently dropped by Trappatoni.

You say dropped and I say Trappatoni plays defensive, definitely against the big teams but as I said before Aiden is usually brought on when we need a goal.

I don't want to keep the tit-for-tat thing going, but re-read my post. I was far from bigging up Stokes. You are constantly mis-interpreting what I say.

You said Stokes looked like a "God at times up there", I didn't misinterpret anything. I think that description is taking it too far and you over rated him, even for the SPL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Willie Stroker

Kevin Doyle ... Doesn't score enough goals for my liking . Another Robbie Keane scores goals ****ty goals against small teams never does it big time beside from germany match

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Most Overrated by a manager- Paul Mc Shane. I dont need to point out what the majority of Irish fans feel about this player. However, the manager must rate him in some way. I wouldnt have him on the team bus,never mind pitch.

Agree 100% but I'm just waiting for the day he does something good, he must have it in him, i know a few people who played against him at under age and they said he was the best player on the pitch by miles. I know its a big step and he always looks terrible but i'm sure he will turn it on sometime, i used to think when Richard Dunne was younger he was the worrst player in the world but he turned out ok, i know Dunne had some off the field problems but still.

Kevin Doyle ... Doesn't score enough goals for my liking . Another Robbie Keane scores goals ****ty goals against small teams never does it big time beside from germany match

I don't really get this one, he is a class act, ok maybe not enough goals but its hard when your not in a good team and your not getting the supply, the work he puts in alone means he deserves all the praise he gets imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

gosplan wrote: »
    Perhaps overrated but I struggle to remember any mistakes he made.

bonner was the sole reason we failed to qualify for the 1992 european championships , apart from the euro 88 england game and that save ( from possibley the worst spot kick in world cup history ) , i cant remember when he was ever anything apporaching average , a very poor keeper

• Advertisement
Advertisement