Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

waterproof gear?

• 22-08-2010 8:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

i am looking for a waterproof jacket to cycle/walk in on those raining mornings ahead.

i have some crappy ones that really are more wind breakers than rain proof!

how much am i looking at to have to pay for a decent jacket?

links would be gratefully appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Any of the Gore stuff is good. I have this.
    I wouldn't be wearing that one off the bike though, cos of the drop at the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭jefferson73

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭100Suns

I have the Showers Pass ProTech clear for training/racing. It's as good as I've used but I've never come across a racing/cycling jacket that is fully waterproof, primarily because they need to be breathable. It's important therefore that the jacket is stated as waterproof, has a good breathability rating and is also a good windstopper. If/when you do get damp from rain and/or sweat, you want to reduce or delay the effect of the wind lowering the temperature of the moisture on your clothes and skin and therefore your core temperature. Gore and Showers Pass products are pretty good on these fronts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Raam wrote: »
    Any of the Gore stuff is good. I have this.
    I wouldn't be wearing that one off the bike though, cos of the drop at the back.

I have the same and agree.

For long very wet rides it is fantastic, but overkill for bicycle commuting unless your commute is very long.

A normal showerproof shell is sufficient for most conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭polariz

@Raam ..I have one of those too but don't find it that good. The sleeves generally leak. I'm wondering if you experience the same? I suspect I may have damaged it by machine washing it with normal detergent. What ya reckon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Any recommendations for non-sweaty waterproof pants? Willing to spend a bit as I imagine Ill be getting a lot of use out of them in the coming months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭serendip

There's a fine material that's both waterproof and breathable, it's called skin.

Seriously, though ... Lumen is right. For commuting, a light rain jacket is usually all you need. Personally, I wouldn't go for goretex. It's likely to get trashed by the general road dirt you encounter when it's wet, and it only breathes when it's dry anyway. And I also wouldn't be too much of a fan of waterproof trousers. They're uncomfortable for cycling, and tend not to be quite as waterproof as you expect. Getting wet from the hip down is really not a such problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

polariz wrote: »
    @Raam ..I have one of those too but don't find it that good. The sleeves generally leak. I'm wondering if you experience the same? I suspect I may have damaged it by machine washing it with normal detergent. What ya reckon?

I would never put any raincoat in the washing machine. So far it's fine, but it hasn't been winter-tested yet.

serendip wrote: »
    There's a fine material that's both waterproof and breathable, it's called skin.

Seriously, though ... Lumen is right. For commuting, a light rain jacket is usually all you need. Personally, I wouldn't go for goretex. It's likely to get trashed by the general road dirt you encounter when it's wet, and it only breathes when it's dry anyway. And I also wouldn't be too much of a fan of waterproof trousers. They're uncomfortable for cycling, and tend not to be quite as waterproof as you expect. Getting wet from the hip down is really not a such problem.

Yeah, its not such a problem if you have a full/dry change of clothes with you at all times.

Until then I think Id prefer to wear waterproofs so I don't arrive into work completely soaked every day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

droidus wrote: »
    Yeah, its not such a problem if you have a full/dry change of clothes with you at all times.

Until then I think Id prefer to wear waterproofs so I don't arrive into work completely soaked every day.

Just a suggestion: Bring 3 days of work clothes into Work (A change of cycling clothes is also a good idea)on Monday, cycle into work Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, then bring everything home on Friday. If you get wet on the way into work, so what? you have dry clothes to change into, and you have dry cyling clothes to get you home.

That might be an OK solution for you fancy-dan masochists with your walk in wardrobes and high tolerance of dampness but all I want is some decent waterproof pants so I dont come in soaking wet and covered in road grime... :(

(Also, I have to cycle mon + fri. Wed is my day off).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

droidus wrote: »
    That might be an OK solution for you fancy-dan masochists with your walk in wardrobes and high tolerance of dampness but all I want is some decent waterproof pants so I dont come in soaking wet and covered in road grime... :(

(Also, I have to cycle mon + fri. Wed is my day off).

Fancy-Dan! I like it!:D

Look, When it comes to cycling, there's no such thing as waterproofs. If it rains, and your cycling, your going to get WET. Don't want to get wet/sweaty? Don't cycle if it rains.

Ok. So theres no such thing as waterproof gear. There is nothing you can do to minimise wetness when it rains...

Forget I asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭jeffwode

I have a pretty good pair of Sprayway Goretex waterproof pants that I got in the clearance sale from their warehouse in Sandyford. If you're a size medium, Patagonia is having a sample sale on Wicklow. Great prices, great rain gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭keenan110

I have a pair of these Berghaus goretex waterproof trousers which i have used on the bike for the past year in all types of rain and they have always kept me completely dry, perfect for commuting and day to day riding.

I use this jacket riding in the rain, again it's always kept me dry.
    Millets on Mary's Street has a big Berghaus range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭serendip

keenan110 wrote: »
    I have a pair of these Berghaus goretex waterproof trousers which i have used on the bike for the past year in all types of rain and they have always kept me completely dry, perfect for commuting and day to day riding.

I use this jacket riding in the rain, again it's always kept me dry.
    Millets on Mary's Street has a big Berghaus range.

That's 240 UK pounds worth of kit! I think there are cheaper options. Nylon is cheap, completely waterproof and more than adequate for the occasional damp half-hour (or so) commute.

Thanks for the suggestions lads.
    serendip wrote: »

Hang on a sec... I want to keep dry but Im not willing to go that far. Out of interest how much for a full suit, or maybe just a cape?

Advertisement