Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The car park at the railway station

• 22-08-2010 8:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭

Is it private or public land? I'm asking as I saw the clampers there yesterday, and it got me wondering

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Private land managed by the council. They split the money made there like many other car parks across the town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭emanresu

CptSternn wrote: »
    Private land managed by the council. They split the money made there like many other car parks across the town.

No, Ennis Town Council has nothing to do with the Station Car Park.

There is no clamping in Ennis Town Council (or Clare County Council) car parks or streets.

branie wrote: »
    Is it private or public land? I'm asking as I saw the clampers there yesterday, and it got me wondering

It is owned by CIE, the holding company of Iarnród Éireann/Irish Rail, Bus Éireann and Dublin Bus.
    CIE is owned by the state.
    The car park is managed by a private company on behalf of the owner.

Town council manages the car park mate, just like the do the one at Abbey Street, and down by the Quays. Also, there IS clamping in Ennis, also done by a group that is paid by the council. Some lots like the one at Downes & Howard and the apartments there at Mill Road are also done by the same private group, but they are paid by the property owners. I know the lads who do it sure.

CptSternn wrote: »
    Town council manages the car park mate, just like the do the one at Abbey Street, and down by the Quays. Also, there IS clamping in Ennis, also done by a group that is paid by the council. Some lots like the one at Downes & Howard and the apartments there at Mill Road are also done by the same private group, but they are paid by the property owners. I know the lads who do it sure.

NCPS manages the Station Car Park.

Abbey Street Car Park and the Quays (Parnell Street & Wood Quay Car Parks) are not just managed by the Town Council, they are Town Council car parks.

Could you name one Town Council car park or street in Ennis where clamping takes place? You will find that any place where clamping takes place is private property, such as supermarkets, hotels or businesses, or apartment/town house complexes run by management companies such as Mill Road apartments, Springfield Orchard, Springfield Court etc.

By the way, the Town Council used to manage Dunnes Stores Car Park jointly with with Dunnes, but that arrangement was stopped some years ago, and the Town Council are no longer involved.

As to the original question, "is the Station Car Park private or public land?"; it's private land because it is owned by a company. (But since that company is owned by the state, maybe it could also be considered as public land). But anyway that is irrelevant to the issue of clamping, which does take place there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 skeletor777

i just got clamped today by these robbing bastards at ennis train station

after returning from dublin on the train and being charged 60 euro for the train ticket ,i had to pay some dickhead 120 euro to get my car .my ticket was only expired an hour and the car park was only about quarter full anyway .

its disgraceful behaviour ,dont know if there is anything i can do about it now though .

seriously tempted to **** a brick through the windscreen of the clamping companys van if i see one parked somewhere .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

i just got clamped today by these robbing bastards at ennis train station

seriously tempted to **** a brick through the windscreen of the clamping companys van if i see one parked somewhere .
    That will only land you in Jail. :eek:

There is easier ways to deal with private clamping companies. If you contemplate using one, the 1mm slimline stainless steel pipe cutting disks work best, make sure you wear the correct PPE. :p

i had thought of something similar alright

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

skeletor, was your train late?

If not, then why did you not have the ticket paid up until you got back? Seems like you parked in a private place, paid for parking as long as YOU wanted to rather than as long as you should have and then you have a problem with being clamped?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭golfball37

A private clamp has no legal basis in this country whatsoever. You are well entitled to remove it by destroying it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭finbarrk

The f.....s clamped us last year there also. It was the Sunday of the U 21 final in Croke Park. They did about 8 cars the same evening.
    That battrey grinder is the way to go.

skeletor, was your train late?

If not, then why did you not have the ticket paid up until you got back? Seems like you parked in a private place, paid for parking as long as YOU wanted to rather than as long as you should have and then you have a problem with being clamped?

who doesnt have a problem with being clamped ?!

how can anyone justify a fine of 120 euro ? for the sake of an hour in a carpark that is only a third full anyway ?

answer is you cant .

especially after paying 60 euro for a train ticket ,the pricks at iarnod eireann should provide customers with free parking at least .i emailed clare co council and they have nothing to do with this car park for the record.

your not a clamper by any chance ?

if you support clamping and extortionate fines by private companies on people you need your head examined

cant think of a more detestable bunch or arseholes .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Fully agree with you there. I wouldn't have a problem if the car was causing an obstruction. Not when the car park is half empty though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

finbarrk wrote: »
    The f.....s clamped us last year there also. It was the Sunday of the U 21 final in Croke Park. They did about 8 cars the same evening.
    That battrey grinder is the way to go.

Just make sure to shield the glasswork on the car, sparks will destroy it. A fire blanket with heavy duct tape woll do the job fine. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭firesidechat

Car parking fees are not charged by the hour , You pay a base fee of 2 .00 euro per 24 hours.

Park up.
    Pay your fee.
    No problems .

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

who doesnt have a problem with being clamped ?!

how can anyone justify a fine of 120 euro ? for the sake of an hour in a carpark that is only a third full anyway ?

answer is you cant .

especially after paying 60 euro for a train ticket ,the pricks at iarnod eireann should provide customers with free parking at least .i emailed clare co council and they have nothing to do with this car park for the record.

your not a clamper by any chance ?

if you support clamping and extortionate fines by private companies on people you need your head examined

cant think of a more detestable bunch or arseholes .

Who said I support clamping? However, if there are rules, why not abide by them? IF you disagree with paying for parking there, don't park there.

I do not have a problem with clamping people who do not pay for their parking though. Why should Iarnrod Eireann provide free parking? Do you believe that if they did so, all the car parks in Dublin, Limerick, Ennis etc would only be used by their customers.

Why should Iarnrod Eireann provide free parking? Do you believe that if they did so, all the car parks in Dublin, Limerick, Ennis etc would only be used by their customers.

There would be caravans as far as the eye could see lined up there sure! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

Why do they not only sell car parking tickets to genuine train/bus ticket holders?

Advertisement