Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westport Sea2Summit Saturday 13th November

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Gally05

there are no changes to the course ..it just over 2.5km to the top , i was up the weekend twice
    had a bad fall on the way down monday ended up in hostipal with ten stitches in my knee ..ouch !!
    so there goes my race ..sickened but sure hey im lucky its only a few stictches

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

4 stars (good)
    ah fvck..sorry about that..after all the training you put into it..
    getting down after doing that had to be fun..
    id say mountain rescue will be busy patching up people on the day
    with 1000 racers theres bound to be a few injuries

woody1 wrote: »
    ah fvck..sorry about that..after all the training you put into it..
    getting down after doing that had to be fun..
    id say mountain rescue will be busy patching up people on the day
    with 1000 racers theres bound to be a few injuries

bit of a dose alright , recovery going well , touch and go wether ill make the race or not , but im not too hopefull :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭dtm

hi lads,

im doing the spirit, intermediate -looking foward to it!

its says on the website that each runner must have the following:

Basic first aid kit (Minimum: 1 x Dressing Pad for heavy bleeding (field dressing); 1 x bandage, plasters)
    • Survival bag or foil blanket
    • Whistle
    • Energy food and drink
    • Bicycle helmet for cycling section

is this true? can anyone who did it last year confirm?

yep done it last year , mandatory kit

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    yep mandatory, theyl check it when you sign in
    so bring it to registration,
    in fairness its not a big kit, you can put it in the
    back pocket on a bike jersey...

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Oldlegs

Gally05 wrote: »

That mean the Spirit Intermediate wont be off till a full hour after the race brief in the morning !! how the hell do ya keep warmed up for an hour

Ye stay inside the hotel.

if you recall, last year the whole downstairs of the hotel was full of S2S participants stretching out wherever we could. Any non-S2S guest would have thought they entered a parallel universe ;)

last year there was one start , there are three seperate waves this year

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

Oldlegs wrote: »
    Took the Galway road last year, but was told that the Mullingar/Longford option much better ?

Any input from regular Dublin-Westport commuters ?

Tx

As a Navan man living in Westport Mulligar/Longford with a lunch stop in Keenans in Termonbarry to split the journey is spot on.
    If you go the Galway route there is a slick way of by passing much of the ****ty roundabouts if you take exits (at western motors) that lead you thru Ballybrit and onto the Tuam road and then onto Westport either thru Tuam or a back road onto the headford rd, this is option painful even typing it so maybe go with my preferred and often traveled choice of option 1.
    Good luck and see ye all Saturday morning.

4 stars (good)
    the navan man is right, from a meath man living in ballina
    longford is the best option

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    reasonable weather predicted, no rain at least
    and no gale force winds...
    cant ask for more than that..

4 stars (good)
    good race..went off well, very well organised, marshalls everywhere and most of them full of encouragement
    great day weather wise too..
    thought maybe the waves should have been further apart, there was an awful lot of people on croagh patrick at the same time, hard to come down when so many were coming up....

i managed to take a fair bit off last years time so im very happy with that
    feet up now for a long time !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

No Results on the site yet but the splits and results are on this link :

http://www.obasen.nu/winsplits/online/en/default.asp?page=classes&databaseId=19255

Good day out and well ran event.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭locha

Enjoyable event -did the Supreme and shaved time off last years effort. While the marshelling was excellent I have point out about the water stops... Not sure if you noticed but at the top of the Maam and the final X over point, last year there was water. This year there did not seem to be any and even the marshalls seemd to be exasparated by people asking them for some... That being said great day and looking forward to next year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

locha wrote: »
    Enjoyable event -did the Supreme and shaved time off last years effort. While the marshelling was excellent I have point out about the water stops... Not sure if you noticed but at the top of the Maam and the final X over point, last year there was water. This year there did not seem to be any and even the marshalls seemd to be exasparated by people asking them for some... That being said great day and looking forward to next year

There were empty bottles thrown around the place somewhere after last transition so I'm guessing they had some but not enough.

From the Race Brief document e-mailed to all competitors
    • Water station located at T1 and T2 only. Please put empties in BINS at Transition and at the Statue at Croagh Patrick

I did take a bottle at the bottom of the reek but generally carry whatever I need myself. If you are relying on water stations you would want to make sure to check the locations for every race every year as it wouldn't be good to be getting caught out. Energy drink is the way to go anyway.

Had a good race myself, first expert distance this year after having to pull out of Gaelforce although I get my second puncture in 6 years just after climbing Maum, reckon it cost me 15-20 places but sh1t happens (finished mid 80's). Cracking day weather wise, I can't understand how people were doing it wearing all those layers of clothing, I was roasted with just shorts and jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 earsandasmile

locha wrote: »

I don't want to sound patronising here, but it is meant to be an adventure race! You should have carried enough water/ food/ gels, etc.. with you to complete the race. From what I could see, there were people handing out water at every transition.

4 stars (good)
    agree, should there be water handed out at all, i was on the short race so i didnt need it, to be honest i didnt see it at croagh patrick anyway...
    but i wouldve thought the idea would be to bring enough of your own.. then again i think theres water on gaelforce, i havent done it so im open to correction on that..
    on another point and its a general adventure race one... should drafting be allowed.. or is it only allowed cos itd be impossible to stop it....
    personally i dont like the idea of it, ie being helped by someone else, i like the idea of doing it on my own steam, and i did, cycling past groups rather than tucking in,
    or maybe i should be more intelligent about it and organise a group for next year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

It doesn't really make sense to organise a group for it unless you have a few people that are all the same running pace etc because with transitions, having a bad day etc you don't know who will be with you.

I had to do a good bit on my own for the second cycle section in the supreme but I also utilised some people as I was catching them and worked with some groups on the cycle out to the reek. It may have been more of an issue with the spirit race as there would have been bigger numbers on the road.

At the end of the day it's just another facet of the race that everyone has to deal with, some races you may get in with a good group that works together and some races you won't. Banning drafting also would add in an extra level of marshalling and unless they could be sure they would catch absolutely everyone drafting it would still be unfair on other competitors.

4 stars (good)
    yeah i know itd be impossible and unfair to do,
    im just jealous cos my brother managed to get a group going on the way back to westport and i didnt... he didnt beat me by much... i spent all saturday nite drunkenly telling him if it wasnt for that id have got him :)..well that and my usual slow transitions...
    im sure the road was wedged for a lot of the spirit race ...if the numbers coming up croagh patrick as i was going down was anything to go by, itd be almost impossible not to draft some of it
    as for the group, funnilly enough, id know guys of similar running speed, bike speed, ambition , and id say you could do it on the bike out handy enough, the hard bit would be keeping fellas reined in for the rest of it, itd be good craic though, 4 or 5 all hitting the last transition at the same time and then going hell for leather at the last bit trying to outdo each other ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Had a great day out myself. Thought the organisation was pretty faultless, they addressed the minor issues they had last year. The finish area was the best I've seen in any race, well done to all concerned.

Drafting is part of the adventure in these events.The top guys seem to work together in these events and attack towards the later stages. I got up to a guy of similiar speed at Belclare on the way in and we shared the load from there on.

• Advertisement

id be in favour of the drafting aswell , why not ur still working ur own bike and if ur fair about it ur just sharing a tougher work load , on the maam its nice to have some one beside u encouraging u along and visa versa ,

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Begs

What a weekend in Westport - first time doing s2s and thought it was great. The weather helped naturally - I dare say we'll not be lucky enought to get the same conditions next year.

4 stars (good)
    bit of a video on sea to summit facebook or tv3 page
    mostly following the 2 tyrone footballers but you never
    know you mite be in the background somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Barbaramc

After doing a few marathons I decided to do this, thoroughly enjoyed it managed to finish it in sub 3 hours. I thought it was very well organised from the briefing, marshals etc.

The only fault I noticed was when you were collecting your bike from the transition area after the race there was no one checking your race number off your bike.... I regard myself as being trusting, but with my brand new €1k bike sitting amongst 1000 others, and no one checking to see who is taking what I was a little annoyed to say the least.

I've mentioned it to the race director - fingers crossed a something will be in place next year, as I’ll be back!

4 stars (good)
    at harlequin, achill roar, sea to summit, sportsmans duathlons, or the local triathlon,all this year no one has ever asked me to identify myself to pick up my bike, i was thinking the same as you on saturday, my bikes not worth a lot, but i doubt the organisers of any race would replace it if it was lifted...
    maybe they couldve asked for the slip we got when finishing as identification or your race number, its not a lot but it would stop joe public walking in and just taking one...

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Begs

woody1 wrote: »
    bit of a video on sea to summit facebook or tv3 page
    mostly following the 2 tyrone footballers but you never
    know you mite be in the background somewhere

Apparently I was in the background at the finish line-have you a link to this?

race report from anthony murray winner of last year sprint race and this years Supreme Race

http://www.westportcc.ie/2011/11/18/anthony-murray/

• Registered Users Posts: 21 john1697

Anybody have a google map of the course?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 LunarGlider

Just wondering if anyone had problems with their times. My Garmin GPS had me down for 17:30 for first run but results had me at 19:20. Also when I finished my printout said I finished in x position but results now have me 6 places further behind.
    Also don't understand how their dibs worked at start. Everyone had to dib leaving the hotel in a haphazard fashion but race leg did not start for another few minutes. Do the results allow for the waves been staggered?
    Just a few queries but overall race was very well ran apart from the start where it seemed a little all over the place due to lack of microphone working. Might be something worth looking at for next year but still the best AR in my opinion.

Advertisement