Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hugh O'Regan saying he almost had a mental breakdown

• 22-08-2010 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

Hotel and pub guru, has said in court procedures (as per Sunday Business Post today) that he alomost had a mental breakdown due to pressures from his businesses financiers recently.

Do people think saying such stuff is acceptable?

How does he know he was on the verge of a breakdown if he didnt actually have one?

Would you say "I almost got cancer" from stress - no dut its ok to say so about a mental condition!?!

What will a judge say? is such stuff relevant?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Plautus

Breakdown isn't used anywhere in Psychiatric diagnosis. He might as well have said he felt terrible and felt stressed. You can only take these assertions about internal turmoil at face value and in good faith.

It's not really analogous to cancer, which requires a battery of tests to verify its existence. Most people can know if they're feeling like crap with reasonable confidence. Most people can't know if they have cancer with reasonable confidence: they're not histologists or oncologists etc. Seems straightforward :confused:

It probably won't help his case without accompanying testimony from clinicians anyway. I see no reason to get indignant about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

I almost felt sorry for him when I just read the thread title, but I don't.

Its like a drunk driver almost crashing a car but arrives home safely. Is he/she dead?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

I dont know Hugh you are on about OP. Related pic attached.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭MrDarcy

I think you know when you are in a dodgy place and there is an awful stigma attached to what is often nothing other than a run of very bad luck in this country. Anyone running a business at the present time should be given a medical card for free counselling...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

Plautus wrote: »
    Breakdown isn't used anywhere in Psychiatric diagnosis. He might as well have said he felt terrible and felt stressed. You can only take these assertions about internal turmoil at face value and in good faith.

It's not really analogous to cancer, which requires a battery of tests to verify its existence. Most people can know if they're feeling like crap with reasonable confidence. Most people can't know if they have cancer with reasonable confidence: they're not histologists or oncologists etc. Seems straightforward :confused:

It probably won't help his case without accompanying testimony from clinicians anyway. I see no reason to get indignant about it.

so why say it then in relation to legal matters? woulda judge take it into consideration? or should a judge disapprove for throwing such contentions into the mix?

• Advertisement

The judge wouldn't really be in a position to do anything about it - a man is entitled to be honest about how the whole process is placing him under stress. Where was this statement about a mental breakdown uttered? If it wasn't in the court room and it isn't prejudicial to matters sub judice then er, there's nothing wrong with saying 'I felt like crap.' Even in the court room, the judge would have let him know if it was problematic testimony there and then. And we wouldn't be debating it now.

If he's saying it so as to curry sympathy with the public, then by all means see through it. I am not aware though that stress is a relevant mitigating factor in civil proceedings. I seem to remember one particular developer being hospitalised during his insolvency proceedings before Peter Kelly. It didn't stop his bankruptcy.

Plautus wrote: »
    The judge wouldn't really be in a position to do anything about it - a man is entitled to be honest about how the whole process is placing him under stress. Where was this statement about a mental breakdown uttered? If it wasn't in the court room and it isn't prejudicial to matters sub judice then er, there's nothing wrong with saying 'I felt like crap.' Even in the court room, the judge would have let him know if it was problematic testimony there and then. And we wouldn't be debating it now.

If he's saying it so as to curry sympathy with the public, then by all means see through it. I am not aware though that stress is a relevant mitigating factor in civil proceedings. I seem to remember one particular developer being hospitalised during his insolvency proceedings before Peter Kelly. It didn't stop his bankruptcy.

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=hugh+o%27regan+mental+breakdown&meta=&rlz=1W1GGLR_en&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

From the sounds of things, he's getting slapped on the arse in the court room:
    Mr Justice Brian McGovern said Mr O’Regan was trying to project himself “as some sort of ignorant simpleton” but he could not be one given the “business empire” he had once run. He said the MHL defence was “the brainchild of Mr O’Regan, and I use that word advisedly”. Barrister Rossa Fanning, for Mr Ferris, said Mr O’Regan’s evidence was “untrue, made up and lies”.

I wouldn't worry about this man getting away with anything. It seems the beaks and wigs on the green are tearing him to shreds ... so I can't see the problem. The system works (shock).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

How does he know he was on the verge of a breakdown if he didnt actually have one?

Instinct, in the same way that someone would say "I almost sh1t myself".

It's wrong to say that a person couldn't have almost sh1t himself, if he didn't actually sh1t himself. If he did actually sh1t himself, then he wouldn't have almost sh1t himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

his soliticor told him he was.

• Advertisement

ejmaztec wrote: »

It's wrong to say that a person couldn't have almost sh1t himself, if he didn't actually sh1t himself. If he did actually sh1t himself, then he wouldn't have almost sh1t himself.

but we have all taken a sh1t at 1 time or another so can identify with the sensation. In fact I will go as far to say that if u can show me the person of good age that has not experienced diahorrea / trots / runs in life yet I will shake their hand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

FlutterinBantam has described this on many occasions, e.g. "One in the chamber, cocked and ready to fire" or something along those lines.

but we have all taken a sh1t at 1 time or another so can identify with the sensation. In fact I will go as far to say that if u can show me the person of good age that has not experienced diahorrea / trots / runs in life yet I will shake their hand

BY way of experiment, we'll visit him in an attempt to tip him over the edge, just to see if it was instinct that made him think that he was on the verge of becoming a gibbering wreck.
    FlutterinBantam has described this on many occasions, e.g. "One in the chamber, cocked and ready to fire" or something along those lines.

No sh1t:eek:

No sh1t:eek:

Badum-tish! Could be the title of his autobiography.

Badum-tish! Could be the title of his autobiography.

Lifting the lid on his life.:eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Who?
    Never heard of him. Sorry.

Biggins wrote: »
    Who?
    Never heard of him. Sorry.

Hugh O'Regan or FlutterinBantam?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Hugh O'Regan or FlutterinBantam?
    Hugh O'Regan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

There isn't enough rope to hang all these bastards.

If their lips are moving they're lying. Pulling the 'béal bocht' is stomach-turning: CAB should be checking the bank balances and assets of their wives and children. No ifs or buts. It's time for this state to go on the offensive.

Future generations will look upon what has been happening in Ireland since the mid-noughties as the greatest period of treachery and treason in modern Ireland's history.

The absence of shame, remorse, civic duty and honour - 'patriotism' in the best sense of the word - in all of these people is conspicuous.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭bigpoppa

There isn't enough rope to hang all these bastards.

Over the next few days you can all take a nice long look at yourself....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭Forest Fire

Poor fellow.
    4 kids left behind.
    RIP Hugh.

• Site Banned Posts: 385 ✭✭pontia

u have link ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

WTF is going on?

• Site Banned Posts: 385 ✭✭pontia

i thought the 80s was bad,its getting worse by the day,no light at end of tunnel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

WTF is going on?

This is a thread from 2010 about a developer named Hugh O'Regan. Hugh O'Regan has comitted suicide (today I think) causing this thread to be resurrected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Its impossible to get perspective and realise it's only money at the end of the day

the poor children

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

MrDarcy wrote: »
    I think you know when you are in a dodgy place and there is an awful stigma attached to what is often nothing other than a run of very bad luck in this country. Anyone running a business at the present time should be given a medical card for free counselling...

Or maybe they could pay for it, and those who find that difficult can access the free and reduced/sliding scale services that are available. There is plenty of the latter around, well in cities anyway; it would not be too difficult to find one. Most people can afford a few euro and it is important that people pay for and value their own therapy.

Edit: I must start looking at the dates on posts, I'm always getting caught out by zombie threads.

namawinelake

• Advertisement

Odysseus wrote: »
    Or maybe they could pay for it, and those who find that difficult can access the free and reduced/sliding scale services that are available. There is plenty of the latter around, well in cities anyway; it would not be too difficult to find one. Most people can afford a few euro and it is important that people pay for and value their own therapy.

Edit: I must start looking at the dates on posts, I'm always getting caught out by zombie threads.

Think you may be caught out here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Poster Boy

RIP Hugh O'Regan - a genuine innovator: he set up café bars such as the Globe on South Great George's Street before the Irish even knew what "Lattes" were. Unfortunately, like others during the Bertie Bubble , I suspect he got carried away with a totally OTT project, ie Kilternan Club. Prayer for the family. RIP.

It's a shame any high profile person from that era whose business failed may presently get tarred with the same brush. Hugh O'Regan created businesses where there was vacancy in Dublin during the 1990s through a lot of graft, and indeed not all of them perfect. AFAIK he always paid his tax as an Irish Citizen to the 26 county state. I can think of a lot of others who continue not to, yet happily ring the bell with those purporting to lead the country. Perhaps your ire might be better focused elsewhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Poster Boy wrote: »
    RIP Hugh O'Regan - a genuine innovator: he set up café bars such as the Globe on South Great George's Street before the Irish even knew what "Lattes" were. Unfortunately, like others during the Bertie Bubble , I suspect he got carried away with a totally OTT project, ie Kilternan Club. Prayer for the family. RIP.

No, the Globe was started by Jay Bourke. Hugh and Declan started out at the Temple Bar.

Gyalist wrote: »
    No, the Globe was started by Jay Bourke. Hugh and Declan started out at the Temple Bar.

You are quite right, my mistake!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

This guy is still alive.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Nevermind_

Hugh O Regan is dead, yet the bankers who approved and advanced the loans to him are probably on six figure salaries and sleeping fine at night.
    RIP Hugh, a terrible experience for any family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

A couple of posts deleted.

Closing this up, frankly it is quite distasteful.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement