Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transporting a 9ft board

Options
  • 22-08-2010 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭

Hi , im buying surfboard soon (hopefully) but im not sure how i can transport it going surfing. Heres my car images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTUTk3lQ7PsvdhcHwCccNk_DFEOlKbXb5tbSbnAeVKdjWqEgaY&t=1&usg=__PQ-tmFRQUjtaqUHJob4r2VfR2w4=
    Well it the exact same as mine anyway. Problem is its a 2 door with no opening back windows. Its not a hatchback either. Is it possible to use a softrack to transport a board would yee think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

You might/probably get by with it but soft racks are only really any good for short term rental car use or the odd short trip. They are more likely to fail, to mark you car, they let in water and make a ton of noise.

You can get hard proper roof racks that fit two doors, go to a good motor factors as see.

http://www.micksgarage.ie/CarSpec.aspx?DeptID=120

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

To be honest , if thers a surf club near the local surf club, I'd join so you can leave the board ther. Have a bigger car myself and 99% of feel safe with the board on top, but the 1% of time the weather scares the **** out of me and feel like th eboard will either get ripped off or the car will fly like one of those eagle f.u.c.k/s from flash gordon. In fairness its never happened, but if I were you if you're only starting would spend too much so would go for the soft racks ,cause you mightn't still be surfing in a years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Low Pockets

Or just go buy a van.

Real surfers drive transporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

Or just go buy a van.

Real surfers drive transporters.

Those of us just pretending to be surfers drive transits.

Those of us just pretending to be surfers drive transits.

That's ok when the real surfes VW breaks down you can give him a tow.

Me I drive a hiace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

Me I drive a hiace.

No room for a surfboard with all the carpets and gates in the back, right boss? ;)

OP get a roof rack or another car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭SurferDude41

Hi there,
    I was in the same position as yourself last year, I was driving a Honda Prelude. I would advise against a soft rack, especially if you don't want to damage the paint-work.
    I sold my beloved prelude recently. Now I drive a Skoda Octavia TDi, good car and excellent fuel economy, but soooo boring.
    When I am travelling alone, I can even fit a 9'6" longboard through the car:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭cullen5998

Hi there,
    I was in the same position as yourself last year, I was driving a Honda Prelude. I would advise against a soft rack, especially if you don't want to damage the paint-work.
    I sold my beloved prelude recently. Now I drive a Skoda Octavia TDi, good car and excellent fuel economy, but soooo boring.
    When I am travelling alone, I can even fit a 9'6" longboard through the car:)

How did you manage with the prelude? I dont want to get rid of my car just so i can fit a board. The soft racks seem to be the only option for me though, im a member of an FTO club and its near impossible to get a roof rack for it.

cullen5998 wrote: »
    How did you manage with the prelude? I dont want to get rid of my car just so i can fit a board. The soft racks seem to be the only option for me though, im a member of an FTO club and its near impossible to get a roof rack for it.

The problem is that they will work but they are sh1t, see if you can get a lend of a set and aboard and try for your self first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭cullen5998

The problem is that they will work but they are sh1t, see if you can get a lend of a set and aboard and try for your self first.

I dont really know anyone with a set. But if the soft rack is crap and i cant get a hard rack it dont leave me with too many options!

• Advertisement

I dont really know anyone with a set. But if the soft rack is crap and i cant get a hard rack it dont leave me with too many options!

Go down to a motor factors or even halfors and see if they have anything. It might also help if you keep the board in a board bag and run a rope from the nose and tail to the front and back of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Universal Thule Racks might fit it? Although the racks will have to fairly close together...

Advertisement