Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shop quote

Options
  • 22-08-2010 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭

i have bought an item in a shop that was 1495 euros. i haggled the price and agreed 1425 euros. this was over the phone. i phone the next day and paid deposit 100 euro by credit card. i said to shop owner no hurry on ordering item. i went back few weeks later his wife/partner there, i have discussion about the item, she check account,said i am 100 euro in credit. i ask is it possible to change to different brand item, she checks computer and says orginal item is not ordered so no problem. i ask the price of orginal order she says now 1575 euros. i told her i have agreed 1425 with the owner of the shop, she just says price gone up. I have talked to the owner after that and he said the orginal order is in the shop ?
    Its a while since ive made contact and at this stage i would just prefer to go somewhere else.

what can i do ?:eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

If he says the original order is in the shop, does this mean he's still willing to sell you the item at the price you agreed on? If so, there's nothing you can do really, except cancel the order and lose the 100 euro deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

can we get some more details as it seems there is significant amount of time going on and also depends on nature of the item etc.
    Hard to argue about price unless its in writing though price can't go up if its ordered unless you are delaying the purchasing of it

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

i ask the price of orginal order she says now 1575 euros. i told her i have agreed 1425 with the owner of the shop, she just says price gone up.
    I am not sure I understand, was she talking about the different brand that you requested, i.e. a completely different product.

If it is the original item then what does your deposit slip say on it?

I always like to think in extremes in these cases, if you left a deposit and they now said the item was €500,000 what would you do? or is there anything to stop shops doing this? notes should be on the deposit though, if they did not list it they might be at fault, dunno what the laws are on deposits but I would not leave them with any shop with the amount of places shutting down.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭bikermartin

the item i orginally wanted was 1400 euros and i was happy with choice. when i phoned him to pay a depoist, he said i cant get it :confused:
    he said i can get it in different suppliers and make it up as a kit of parts......but hey i want 100 euros for doin that :eek::eek:

this is why the second item was agreed on , 2nd choice item 1425 quote and depoist paid next day by credit card over phone...no recipt an no written quote. i have not collected or paid for it yet.... but no hurry on either of our sides. but his partner / wife says it is now 1575 euros.

at this stage i would prefer to go somewhere else... and probably get it cheaper.

it is a sport/leisure item and is a standard product:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,549 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Usually there is a limit on how long they will hold a price for, the max would usually be a month. You can't expect them to hold it indefinitely, you could go in next year and say - right you can send for that item now.

Why don't you just get on and buy it? The whole point of a deposit is to make sure you are going to follow through the order, so they will not be ordering unnecessarily. The owner seems to have got it and stored it for you? Why not just go and get it, it seems that you are the one that is messing, not them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement