Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Halfords own brand?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

Muirgheal wrote: »
    Hi-

I know that I have read some scathing comment on halfords bikes on here, and I am wondering if same applies to this - http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_762091_langId_-1_categoryId_212377

Is the apollo brand the halfords own brand? I'm thinking of buying this for mainly road use, some tracks but no off road stuff. And the ctw does not apply to me I'm afraid.

All help appreciated- thanks.

Yes, Apollo is Halfords own brand. Generally, you need to upgrade to Halford's Carerra range before you get something decent; many Apollos would be considered BSOs.

The one you highlighted may be ok - have you seen it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭Muirgheal

Oh god- please explain- BSO??

It looks ok- but I don't want to run into difficulty 50 miles down the road!

Thanks for the help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

BSO=Bike Shaped Object (look it up)

Quick advice? Spend more, be happy. Or buy secondhand!

LOL- love it, BSO!

Thanks - will take the advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭SubLuminal

www.rothar.ie

you'll get one for half the price that will be twice as good as that heavy lookin' BSO..

• Advertisement

Thanks SubLuminal.

I am based in Sligo- without a car- so would experience a few difficulties in getting a bike home from Dublin.

Also I would have no idea what I should be looking for in a second hand bike.

My plan now is to save up for another few weeks and get a decent new bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

You might find something closer to home on gumtree.ie, thats where I got my bike! In general you get stuff for about 50 to 60 percent of it's retail value. So look at the ad, then research the bike model online to read reviews and see what it costs new. Beware posts with no photo's though, since Gumtree is often home to stolen bikes.

Thanks HappyTramp- I may be back to look for further advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Bought a Carrera Zum 2 six months ago, was a fine bike that didn't give me a single problem until it was stolen last week. ****. Would recommend the bike though.

You have my sympathies, super-furry.

I will have to go back and look at the carreras again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement