Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does this sound encouraging?

Options
  • 22-08-2010 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭

Hi. I posted here a few days ago but only got 2 replies - was probably too long winded in what I said to be honest. The topic was "Advice needed from dog lovers".
    Anyway, just want to know if I am relaxing too soon!! Have had Max a week last Friday and had him neutered on Friday. He's a basset hound cross, about two years old and the poor mite had been on death row. He is very affectionate and appears to be settling in really well!
    Millie, my three and half years old terrier cross (who is mad as a box of frogs) appears to be accepting him fairly well. I rescued her a year and a half ago. She has never liked other dog except her son who my daughter has.
    They are following each other around the place (despite Max being stuck in is lampshade after surgery) and are both sleeping on what was always Millie's couch. Millie is still trying to "hump" him and he has gotten very snappy with her and snarled fairly visciosly - doesn't seem to stop her though.
    He pushes in every time we go to pet Millie and she then backs away, which upsets me a bit.
    I feed them separately for safety as we had a food war on the second day when I got over-confident!
    Just interested in other peoples opinions on how this is going? Is there anything else I should be doing/trying? Do they sound like they will be compatible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 PeaSoup

Hi there,

I'm a dog person myself...so I hope I can help! First of all congrats on your new arrival!!

You've got a struggle for dominance on your hands here. The humping isn't a sexual thing, it denotes physicality too, who can force the other dog to be submissive. Food wars are common so don't be deterred, especially with newly homed rescues. The dogs themselves will eventually work it out.

To make it easier, on all parties involved, I would suggest you become the 'pack leader'. This isn't that difficult to achieve! Speak strongly and calmly and really to an extent try and almost ignore them for a day or so. Hold off a bit on affection, etc. and really try and train them as a pair. Commanding to sit and stay at the same time can really reinforce this.

I'm a vet student and I do pet minding in my home in groups during the summer, I've always found this particular thing works if there is ever a particular bunch who might not immediately get on. I've never had any group of dogs who weren't best friends by the end of their stay!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

Thank you for your prompt reply! I sort of knew that the humping was dominance related but his reaction can be a bit OTT. Naturally, we understand that Millie has been here eighteen months and he is the new arrival but, if he assumes dominance here, will that have a bad affect on her and will she feel unhappy? We got Max as company for her and, overall, they seems happy enough. But naturally I worry about when I'm not here that they might fight and one could get injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 PeaSoup

The dogs will take your lead, if you're happy with the situation, they will be too. They can probably sense you're anxious, I've learnt that in situations like this you have to remain as calm as you possibly can. Even if Max becomes dominant it's not a big deal, as long as you're the alpha. As long as it's a good pack relationship it shouldn't affect Milly too much - both dogs will hopefully be carefree and happy. In terms of leaving them alone, I'm sure you're nervous but feel out the situation as you go along, in all likelihood they will be fine and enjoy this new exciting time with your dogs!

Advertisement