Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Educate Me On MMA

• 22-08-2010 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭

I was a professional wrestling fan and recently I've gained an interest in MMA given its huge surge in popularity and indeed, eating into the wrestling market...

The thing is, I don't exactly know how to go about learning about MMA so see if I've got this straight..

There are different companies - UFC, StrikeForce, Bellator just like in wrestling, WWE, TNA etc. Can fighters from other companies face off between each other or are they exclusive to their specific promotion?

Do they each have a weekly show? If so, what channel is it on?

Any info you can provide in educating me on MMA is very much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I was a professional wrestling fan and recently I've gained an interest in MMA given its huge surge in popularity and indeed, eating into the wrestling market...

The thing is, I don't exactly know how to go about learning about MMA so see if I've got this straight..

There are different companies - UFC, StrikeForce, Bellator just like in wrestling, WWE, TNA etc. Can fighters from other companies face off between each other or are they exclusive to their specific promotion?

First question, in the smaller organisations you may see a lot of fighters moving over and fighting on diff promotions.
    No chance at all of that happening on the bigger one's. A fighter will sign, say, a 4 fight contract with UFC, he will not be allowed to fight anywhere else, without Zuffa/UFC's permission, which won't happen.
    There's a court case currently going on in U.S, A fighter who was contracted to Bellator (i think) applied for and got on the new season of TUF, so they're now suing UFC.

No weekly shows over here as such, used to be on Setanta, don't know about ESPN.

I hardly watched them anyways, just read forums and mma sites for news.

Before each major event there's countdown to .... , A few programmes advertising the event, not a bad watch i suppose.

Oh yeah, and it's as real as it gets ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Daniel2oo9

No.Other fighters from UFC,Strikeforce cant fight each other,They usualy have 2 PPV'S a Month or a "UFC Live".You can watch them if you have ESPN Or on the internet if you have a stream.Hope i Helped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭I_AmThe_Walrus

scudzilla wrote: »

Oh yeah, and it's as real as it gets ;)

Awesome, thanks.....and lulz...

I know some fighters...Lesnar, Lashley, Couture, Fedor etc...I'm going to divide them up and see which companies they fight for...

...I might pick up the new UFC game or MMA game??? You wouldn't believe how much can be understood from those video games...

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Daniel2oo9

Awesome, thanks.....and lulz...

I know some fighters...Lesnar, Lashley, Couture, Fedor etc...I'm going to divide them up and see which companies they fight for...

...I might pick up the new UFC game or MMA game??? You wouldn't believe how much can be understood from those video games...

:)

Lesnar:UFC
    Lashley:Strikeforce
    Couture:UFC(Fighting Next week at UFC 118)
    Fedor:Strikeforce
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

The book 'Total MMA' by Jonathon Snowden is a fantastic read for anyone getting into the sport and long term fans alike.

Advertisement