Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

24h/ late open access livery near dub 24

Options
  • 22-08-2010 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi, my mrs really loves horse and had one up until she had to leave for college. Since then she has missed having a horse but still feels she cannot get a horse because she works as a surgeon so long hours is the norm.So she would need as late an opening as possible
    I will be going to give extra scrub/carrot time for those worried about that but it would be great if there was some sort of solution out there.
    Thanks
    Simon
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Angelmangle

Would your wife consider going part livery with someone else rather than getting her own horse straight away? Horses are a huge committment both financially and in terms of time and if she already has a very demanding job with very long hours than the welfare of the horse should come first to be honest. I know you say you'll be there for carrots etc, but there is an awful lot more than that when it comes to horse ownership. Also I don't know of any yard that will allow 24 hour access. A livery in my old yard was a doctor/surgeon and used to come down after 8.30pm each night when she could, but she finished up/locked up herself when she left and I don't think there will be any yard owners happy to see people arriving down very late in the evening. Sorry to be negative but these are the realities of the situation. Perhaps if she got a good yard that would provide, turnout, grooming & exercising (on the days that she couldn't make it) for her it could work, but that will costs a lot of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 simonmcg

Thank you for the feedback. The plan was always to go for full livery anyway to insure the horses welfare first and foremost. My job would be for social and some riding/ exercise on days Emma would not be able to make it in time.

Emma knows the amount of work which will be required and as such doesn't think it is the best idea at the moment but I am just trying to find a solution that might work.

We looked into horse sharing before but she gets very attached and doesn't want to risk the same hurt she had from when she lost her old horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Angelmangle

In that case why doesn't she buy her own horse and share as the owner? She gets all the benefits of sharing while still having control over her own horse so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 simonmcg

Thats a really good thought, thank you. I will see what she thinks of that.
    I knew there had to be a solution out there but I was just too close to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭silverfox88

only spotted this thread now, might be a bit late to be commenting on it! the yard im in is dublin 24 area, near ballycullen and we definitely have the oddest opening hours of any yard ive ever been in! most days we're all there til about eleven in the evening and the owner is good about special arrangements for people who have to ride late in the evening due to other commitments. we've a floodlit indoor as well so the rain and the dark aren't a problem. she has a number of horses available to take on livery as well, either on your own or to share with someone already riding them. im in college and cant always make it up, have a sharer now but before that she could be ridden for me if i needed it. thought this might help, pm me if you need any more details about it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement