Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paving bricks and weeds.

Options
  • 22-08-2010 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

I have quiet a large area paved with paving bricks and am struggling to keep weeds in the joints under control.Anyone know if there is anything out there that can be used to seal these joints once they are filledb with sand?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

Sprinkle cooking salt down the cracks.
    Weeds will grow through anything, tarmac, even concrete.

Sodium chlorate is good, but more expensive.
    And then there's Glyphosate/ Roundup, extremely expensive but lethal.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 alang9831

Thanks FarmerGreen.

Have used roundup before and yes it is very effective and in my opinion not overly expensive for the job it does.

However,I have noticed that after a period of time all areas(not only the paving area)where I have used roundup become very mossy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

my father uses watered down bleach...does a really really good job

Thanks for that chiefwiggum,will try it as soon as possible.

greetings to all in Springfield!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭casey junior

I have paving brick as well but I find moss more bothersome than weeds.
    I use Armillotox to kill it but I have to do this 3-4 times a year.
    I sealed the area with Johnstons Patio and paving sealer, didn't seal the cracks though, made no difference to the moss growth.
    Weeds should only grow on the cracks and not up through the cracks, have you perhaps powerhosed the sand out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭casey junior

Add
    Bleach will discolour paving brick, its not a good idea.

Some of the sand in the cracks may have got taken up.

Think I will spend a day weeding and hoeing the whole thing,brush in some more sand and see what happens.

Also,I read yesterday about a product called Resiblcock which can be rolled on and is supposed to seal the whole area.

Not to sure about success rate??????????????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Squiggle

I'm in the same boat as OP - a very large area of paving and plagued with weeds!:( I spray a few times a year with Round up, which sorts out the problem for about 6 weeks. I've heard recently that Gallup does the same job but at a fraction of the price !

As I said in a previous post I do find roundup very effective and dont even mind the cost but have found that it leads to increased levels of moss wherever I use it,not only in paving area.I may be wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Is it possible to replace the grouting inbetween large paving slabs without taking them up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

Add
    Bleach will discolour paving brick, its not a good idea.

he's being doing it for years with no problems or discolouring

Decided on a course of action!!!!!!

Gave it a good dose of roundup today.

Wait a few weeks for weeds to die and disappear.

Pack the joints with more sand.

Am investigating a product called RESIBLOCK which I believe may seal the joints and prevent weed growth.(must ring them and maybe order it tomorrow,it aint cheap at €295 for 5LTRS(i think).

Fingers crossed.

Will post results for anyone interested.

Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭wayne76

alang9831 wrote: »
    Decided on a course of action!!!!!!

Gave it a good dose of roundup today.

Wait a few weeks for weeds to die and disappear.

Pack the joints with more sand.

Am investigating a product called RESIBLOCK which I believe may seal the joints and prevent weed growth.(must ring them and maybe order it tomorrow,it aint cheap at €295 for 5LTRS(i think).

Fingers crossed.

Will post results for anyone interested.

Thanks all.
    if the joint's are wide enough use rompox that's generally used with paving it's like wet sand but it set's like concrete you can pack it into the joint's i find it great and not too expensive can be purchased at a patio center:)

Thanks,will try and get some although the joints are not massive.Worth a try if not expensive!!!!!

Advertisement