Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Joshua Trio?

• 22-08-2010 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

A long time ago when I was in my early 20s(1990-93) and hanging around Dublin I became a bit of a follower of a great little pisstake band called the Joshua trio who took it upon themselves to take the piss out of U2,well not so much U2 but Bono and his hugely inflated ego.
    Does anyone know what they are up to now or where I can get some of there stuff(internet is useless,I've also checked a lot of the second hand sources around Dublin with no luck),I seem to recall they brought out an EP(cassette) with a country version of the fly and a lounge version of "STREETS" and a couple of live numbers which somebody gave me but lost many moons ago.
    One night they played in whelans with CACTUS WORLD NEWS!!!(remember them?) I think,their stage set was a huge stained glass window depicting Bono in Jesus garb loincloth and arms outstretched,all the band wore angel wings and huge gold medallions depicting Bono.As well as covers done in various styles they also did some of their own stuff like"The Edge has got his hat on hip hip hip hurray".At a new years eve gig I was at they had some donkies on the stage with some TV's parodying the whole ZOO TV thing.
    Anyway,thanks for listening and in the words of the Joshua trio:
    Goodnight and may bono bless ya.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 neo3168

Hiya Euskadi

I was the drummer with the Joshua Trio - thanks for coming to those gigs! I still play drums professionally with many bands on the live circuit in Ireland.

The band gigged heavily throughout the early 1990's, including tours, television and radio appearances, most notably "Tonight with Jonathan Ross" in January 1992, and "Rapido" in March of that year (both for English TV), as well as "Secrets", "The Den with Zig and Zag", "Kenny Live", "The Beatbox" and other Irish TV shows.
    I have clips from all these shows on a video cassette, somewhere. I must blow the dust off it sometime for a laugh.

Unfortunately the only music recorded by the band was in the form of a single. A fast, jolly, country version of U2's "The Fly" was released through U2's Mother Records in 1992. I myself have only one copy of this recording on CD. I've no idea where you might get a copy. It was pretty bad, to be honest, so don't worry! I have many, many cassette recordings of the band from various gigs, and there is some really funny bits, but I have yet to digitize them for proper archiving. It's a pretty big task that I've yet to do.

The Bono stained glass "window" you spoke of was designed and constructed by me! It featured on many shows. When backlit it looked good. Instead of Trabant cars hanging from the roof of the stage like U2, I used my bicycle on the Trio gigs, often cycling it home after a Dublin show.

In 1994 the U2 parody wore a bit thin when U2 themselves were appearing to have a never-seen-before sense of fun with their own self-image, even mocking themselves. The Joshua Trio changed identity, and evolved into different types of "spoof" bands, including "The Glam Tarts" (Glam-rock themed band), and "Tony St. James and the Las Vegas Sound" (an Irish-style medallion-man parody). Check www.tonystjames.com.

Be sure to let me know if you find any Joshua Trio on youtube - last I checked there wasn't any!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 denis_ryan

According to posters currently being displayed the Joshua Trio is due to play a support slot in the Grand Social next Saturday - July 5th 2014.

When I digitised my video collection - which included a VERY short (probably a max of 10 seconds) clip of the band from some TV show in the 80s - the video tapes were starting to decay so please don't leave it any longer than you have to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Zombie thread is dead. Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement