Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester City vs. Liverpool Match Thread 20.00 KO

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

That goal is Tevez's. Not Richards!

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Fully agree with the second part. But can't abide the first bit. Liverpool did not get beat by more than two goals even once last season - despite it being a terrible year all round.

The towel was thrown in tonight. It reminded me of some dark old days under the last couple of British managers we had to be honest. :(

We were overun in midfield.

Two up top was a mistake.

It could happen anyone tbh.

It just frustrated me that it wasn't changed.

Anyway, west brom next. Gerrard in the hole perhaps? Cuz he ain't a CM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Reality bites. Funny how i hear talk of match day boycotts until the yanks are gone on phone in's and LFC fan sites now they don't have Benitez as a scapegoat anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Fully agree with the second part. But can't abide the first bit. Liverpool did not get beat by more than two goals even once last season - despite it being a terrible year all round.

The towel was thrown in tonight. It reminded me of some dark old days under the last couple of British managers we had to be honest. :(

The last couple of British managers??? Evans and Dalglish?? thats a baffling statement. I can remember the towel being thrown in a few times last season under Rafa and don't get me started on Houllier.

Beaten by a better side with better players all over the park to be honest. Credit to City they were excellent I thought.

I think we as Liverpool fans have to face up to the reality that we will have to lower our expectations.

There are 4-5 teams better than us this season and getting top 4 would be a superb season, we've been overtaken for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

rossie1977 wrote: »
    city had 2 yes two shots on target in the whole game :eek:

That is impressive, they managed to score three goals with two shots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Jaysus, it's after 5am and I haven't slept.

There'll be sweet dreams this morning! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Did andy gray just advocate zonal marking? :eek:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I don't think anyone is 'slating' Roy. The biggest frustration is the state of the club that is outside his control.

However, you have to wonder about going away to a megabucks team and starting with both Ngog an Torres up top,and Lucas and Gerrard in the centre. Given the head bashing he got last Sunday I would also question putting Agger in ahead of a natural left back like Aurelio. I also worry that substitutions took so long to be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

This is exactly what i was thinking watching that tonight. Just like the Souness days!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Jayob10 wrote: »
    The last couple of British managers??? Evans and Dalglish??

Souness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

The last couple of British managers??? Evans and Dalglish??

Souness and Evans.

And it's complete hyperbole.

It was, if anything, reminiscent of last season.

But, of course, sweeping judgements are already being made

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

That is impressive, they managed to score three goals with two shots.

they did get a penalty, if you want to call that a shot fine, bbc haven't http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/8929542.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The last couple of British managers??? Evans and Dalglish?? thats a baffling statement. I can remember the towel being thrown in a few times last season under Rafa and don't get me started on Houllier.

Beaten by a better side with better players all over the park to be honest. Credit to City they were excellent I thought.

I think we as Liverpool fans have to face up to the reality that we will have to lower our expectations.

There are 4-5 teams better than us this season and getting top 4 would be a superb season, we've been overtaken for sure.

Remember Souness? We have to lower our expectations because we've spent the last few months systematically downgrading the squad and coaching staff.

Tonight was the first time Liverpool have been beaten by more than two goals since the 23 March 2008. Think about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

rossie1977 wrote: »
    they did get a penalty, if you want to call that a shot fine, bbc haven't http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/8929542.stm

Of course its a shot, what else would you call it?

Souness and Evans.

And it's complete hyperbole.

It was, if anything, reminiscent of last season.

But, of course, sweeping judgements are already being made

of course its hyperbole. lets not forget that some of the dross on the field tonight was signed by Rafa.

The days of playing 2 out and out forwards up front is long gone though, its suicide really when you are playing against a side with 4-3-3 turing into 4-5-1 without the ball.

Gerrard has to be played off Torres really, as we have no guile in the final third. I think its indisputable. Even when Joe Cole is fit.

Kuyt slows down attacks far too much and needs that extra touch when a quick ball is on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Hopefully we can put this game behind us ,at home next week should be three point hopefully Mach situation will be sorted one way or another.
    Terrible performances all over, aggro is no left full but mind you aj ain't half bad,thought reina could have done better for the second goal.
    Kuyt was shocking his touch is too bad to be true.
    Torres looked rusty but showed glimpse of class. Carr the pick of our defenders by a mile. And I know many will disagree but I thought gerrard tried hard but was on his own in midfield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

SAF is a worried man Id say, I have to say City were a riot tonight.

Arsenal, Chelsea and United would all be a bit worried, I dont think spurs have any chance of winning the league. so Arsenal, City and Chelsea/Utd the only team in it id say.

Worried is hardly the right word.

Gerrard really shouldn't be playing in a 2 man midfield though, it played right into City's hands.

Remember Souness? We have to lower our expectations because we've spent the last few months systematically downgrading the squad and coaching staff.

Tonight was the first time Liverpool have been beaten by more than two goals since the 23 March 2008. Think about that.

I don't get what you are trying to say. Are you pinning this plight at Hodgsons door?? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

I'm not really sure how much that matters in the grand scheme of things though Lloyd. Had Liverpool only lost 2-0 tonight, it wouldn't have changed anything.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

SAF is a worried man Id say, I have to say City were a riot tonight.

Arsenal, Chelsea and United would all be a bit worried, I dont think spurs have any chance of winning the league. so Arsenal, City and Chelsea/Utd the only team in it id say.

I can see your point but it was just one match. Would you have had the same opinion after the first match when Spurs tore city assunder? Granted it was a draw but city were pure crap while spurs looked very good at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Gerty

Just a completely neutral statement.

Man city bench in dec, 2006 against watford - Isaksson, Dickov, Onuoha.Miller Hamann .

Tonight, Shay Given, Pablo Zabaleta, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Emmanuel Adebayor, David Silva, Patrick Vieira, Joao Alves Jo .

Might be missing a player or two but that is just crazy. Its still hard to believe sometimes that man city now have a team were without playing swp, adebayor and silva, they can still score goals.

might be a player or so missing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

niallo27 wrote: »
    Should we pretend everything is ok though

Don't give me that nonsense, it showed a complete lack of respect for the new manager, it was embarrasing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

spockety wrote: »
    I wonder if this match may serve as an early wake up call for some sections of the Liverpool support as to how potentially f*cked the club may be this season?

There were a decent number of people of the opinion that Rafa Benitez was the one person in the club's upper echelons who was preventing a car crash rather than causing one.

Before the season started I figured on 3 points from the first five or six matches. I still cling to the hope I was wrong.

The rot caused by unsuitable and dangerous owners may take a long time to fix. I suspect we may need to steel ourselves for more of this this season. For some reason I fear we may not travel well.
    But you should have 3 points already only for an horrendous error from Reina. Are you suggesting that wouldn't have happened if there was a different man in charge?

Liverpool iirc had only 3 points after 3 games last season including a 3-1 home defeat to Aston Villa.

I've seen this at Blackburn when last season started where we were in trouble after a couple of games and the fans started to panic. When you look at that game tonight from a neutral's perspective, well for me anyways, I seen loads of positive stuff from Liverpool but it all broke down when the ball got to the front men. Some of that can be credited to City's defense and some of it is down to them being not good enough tonight. If that happened at Anfield then you might have reason to worry but it was at Eastlands where City only lost 3 games last season including a very controversial one in injury time to Manchester United. City without all the extra millions that has been spent this year thumped Arsenal twice there last year. This is not a surprise nor should Liverpool fans be majorly down over it.

There only information to be garnered from tonight's game for either team as a team is that City are as good at home this season as last. Torres is clearly still not back to his best is the other thing that was clear tonight.

Hopefully we can put this game behind us ,at home next week should be three point hopefully Mach situation will be sorted one way or another.
    Terrible performances all over, aggro is no left full but mind you aj ain't half bad,thought reina could have done better for the second goal.
    Kuyt was shocking his touch is too bad to be true.
    Torres looked rusty but showed glimpse of class. Carr the pick of our defenders by a mile. And I know many will disagree but I thought gerrard tried hard but was on his own in midfield

He sure did, you won't get any disagreements there. We need him further forward though. I think he's wasted in central midfield to be honest. Anything good we did tonight was through his bursts from deep, and we don't get enough of that when he is required to do a bit of everything.

Too many passengers in the team. Lucas, Kuyt even Johnson tonight. In relation to Lucas and Kuyt they are not underperforming thats just their level. They will play hard but the reality is the quality is not there.

Surely Carra could play a shift out at left full and allow Agger into the centre??? :confused:

That was simply the worst league performance from this football club in the last 6 years. 4 4 fecking 2 away from home to a team expecting to challenge this season - madness. No sub until 75 minutes when it was crystal clear as early as the 10th minute that the system wasn't working. Fecking furious, City didnt even have to try that hard to win. I've never seen a Liverpool manager so out his depth at this club in 38 years of watching us and i include Souness in that statement.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

3-0. How dissapointing.
    But im not gonna take it heavy. Playing away from home against a team with the most expensive players on the pitch. Just hope its up from here on.

Mister men wrote: »
    That was simply the worst league performance from this football club in the last 6 years. 4 4 fecking 2 away from home to a team expecting to challenge this season - madness. No sub until 75 minutes when it was crystal clear as early as the 10th minute that the system wasn't working. Fecking furious, City didnt even have to try that hard to win. I've never seen a Liverpool manager so out his depth at this club in 38 years of watching us and i include Souness in that statement.

Have you seen Liverpool play last year:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

I don't get what you are trying to say. Are you pinning this plight at Hodgsons door?? :confused:

who would you blame for the defeat so??

going in with 442, playing a clearly half fit centre back at left back and still keeping him on despite getting roasted for 90 mins, playing gerrard in centre midfield when everyone and their mother knows gerrard can't play there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

As another poster said, the 3-1 home defeat to Villa last season was as bad. If not worse.

I think despite from tactics, it was the lack of hunger the team showed which was the most worrying aspect. Something that blighted us towards the end of last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Don't give me that nonsense, it showed a complete lack of respect for the new manager, it was embarrasing.

If you travelled up to watch that ****e you could forgive a few of them for singing rafa songs, very easy to get on your high horse sitting in front of your tv

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Delighted with that performance tonight. We won nearly every fifty fifty ball out there (a nice change for us!), and simply didn't allow Liverpool to play. I thought AJ was magnificent and was my MoM. He had the beating of whoever Liverpool put on him. Milner did a good job on the left side of midfield/left wing, Carlos was Carlos (!), Kompany was outstanding and Hart showed on the odd occasion that he was called upon that he is the best English 'keeper in the Prem, and one of the top 2 or 3 overall. Even Micah looked okay-ish! Now watch us lose at Sunderland on sunday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Lucas back to his free kick conceding worst.

Stevie G showing once again that he's no use in the CM role.

Reina making another mistake.

Johnson, Jovanovic, Kuyt, Agger, Torres and N'Gog. All Brutal.

Carra still being an ever increasing liability.

To top it all off, Mascherano looks to be on his way out.

It's a fine ****ing mess I'll tell you that.

If you travelled up to watch that ****e you could forgive a few of them for singing rafa songs, very easy to get on your high horse sitting in front of your tv

And where does singing Rafa songs gonna get ya,is it helping the situation.get a flight to Milan if ya want to sing rafa songs

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

City were impressive. Great squad full of quality players.

Liverpool could be in trouble. Gerrard was wasted in midfield. Torres wasn't fit. No players that could come off the bench and change the game.

It looked easy for City who had something like 60% of the ball in the first half. I'd like to see the final stats but I'd imagine it must have been 58% or so in Citys favour. Aweful from Pool really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

singing the Rafa song wasn't on to be honest. support the manager.

And where does singing Rafa songs gonna get ya,is it helping the situation.get a flight to Milan if ya want to sing rafa songs

It's proves peolpe are not happy with the situation we find ourself in, should we pretend we are

Have you seen Liverpool play last year:confused:
    Every single game and not once did we look that poor. Still last season all we had to do was sack Rafa, then get rid of that zonal marking ****, Oh and a nice cuddly ''arm round shoulder'' type manager, then we'll be right back in business.:rolleyes:

It's proves peolpe are not happy with the situation we find ourself in, should we pretend we are

What about last year when we were playing dire stuff and the fans still sang for Rafa which was fair enough, showing vocal support for the manager in times of trouble. Why is it different with this manager?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Yaya, what a player. Barca have really lost a big cog in the machine. Fantastic tonight. Johnson aswell, very lively.

Torres, all too often now he's finding fitness. 4-4-2 was a strange, strange decision. Glen Johnson looked fairly bad aswell.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    singing the Rafa song wasn't on to be honest. support the manager.
    Why not? Rafa was a legend at the club and the (proper) fans loved him. I have'nt got a problem with it at all.

• Advertisement

Why not? Rafa was a legend at the club and the (proper) fans loved him. I have'nt got a problem with it at all.

When he is the previous manager who had been sacked it's not on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Its disrespectful to the new manager.

What about last year when we were playing dire stuff and the fans still sang for Rafa which was fair enough, showing vocal support for the manager in times of trouble. Why is it different with this manager?

It's because a lot of fans are bitter over the way was treated and the way he was shafted, are you really surprised people were signing these songs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Anybody else not convinced that City will replicate that sort of display away from home?

Laughable. Who are you to say what makes a proper Liverpool fan? There a fans who loved Benitez who would have thought that wasn't on tonight. Not the Liverpool way.

Laughable. Who are you to say what makes a proper Liverpool fan? There a fans who loved Benitez who would have thought that wasn't on tonight. Not the Liverpool way.

The Liverpool way, have a look at our ****en board and who is running the club before you have a go at the fans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Lads all this title challenge talk.

I think Newcastle can win it easily, 6-0 against villa, easily the most impressive result of the year so far, lets all get our hopes up.

It's because a lot of fans are bitter over the way was treated and the way he was shafted, are you really surprised people were signing these songs

Yes and those fans should move on and support the new boss instead of disrespecting him by chanting the old bosses name at the match, there was an element of snide nastiness to it.

I thought our fans were better than that, probably the same shower who sing Munich songs and booed Lucas a couple of seasons back, in short, gobsh1tes.

The Liverpool way, have a look at our ****en board and who is running the club before you have a go at the fans

So the fans should abandon the code and morals because of the way the club is run?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

Dam right

Advertisement