Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester City vs. Liverpool Match Thread 20.00 KO

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

ntlbell wrote: »
    what about lucas :confused::confused:

Are you calling Lucas a midfield hard man? :confused::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Lucas will own De Jong, Barry and Yaya. No problem to him.

mike65 wrote: »
    Poulsen bites as well. Apparently.

This could be an ugle game!

Actually if Poulsen plays and he nuts De Jong. He will endear himself to me.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Kess73 wrote: »
    Are you calling Lucas a midfield hard man? :confused::D
    training__new_kit_07.jpg
    Yes :D

Daemonic wrote: »
    training__new_kit_07.jpg

Not the kind of tackle that will help him much against De Jong and Ya Ya though.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Daemonic wrote: »
    training__new_kit_07.jpg

Maybe he wasn't long out of bed? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Lucas will own De Jong, Barry and Yaya. No problem to him.

Lucas will be destroyed - as usual. Average player, IMO. No doubt I'll get a mouthful of abuse for expressing my opinon though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

Lucas will be destroyed - as usual. Average player, IMO. No doubt I'll get a mouthful of abuse for expressing my opinon though.
    Woah Woah Woah... Are u telling me there are people who believe Lucas is an above average player... Pass completion's dont exactly count for much when there all backwards! Terrible excuse for a footballer, Anyone remember Ousmane Dabo who used to play for City, thats who he reminds me of!! Well Dabo >>>>>> Lucas..... And Dabo was SHÍTE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i understand Masch and Poulsen playing in the middle; but it doesn't excite me in the slightest.

this game has 0-0 written all over it.

EDIT: wait, Masch reportedly refusing to play?

and let's not start the Lucas bashing. for the love of God please...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Woah Woah Woah... Are u telling me there are people who believe Lucas is an above average player... Pass completion's dont exactly count for much when there all backwards! Terrible excuse for a footballer, Anyone remember Ousmane Dabo who used to play for City, thats who he reminds me of!! Well Dabo >>>>>> Lucas..... And Dabo was SHÍTE!

the sentence in bold highlights the attitude that is one of the main drivers behind the poor state of football on these islands, and the inability of teams to maintain possession.

A draw would be a great result away to City.

I'd take that now tbh.

the sentence in bold highlights the attitude that is one of the main drivers behind the poor state of football on these islands, and the inability of teams to maintain possession.

What an absoloutley rediclous comment to make.

The point is people consntalty use ppr to prove lucas is a good player.

Ignoring the fact he's absoloutley useless in any area on the park. On a consitent basis he can't open defences, his range of pass is very limited, his concentration levels are poor, his descion making is poor, his tackling is poor.

There's really no redeeming features about his game, yet instead of tacking that you make some random comment on the state of football?

wtf!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

If it is Torres and Dave up front I would be very interesting to see how they do as I thought after Maxi's subbing for Dave against Trabzonspor we lost our way in the game, especially in midfield. Don't know if this is the game to switch formation - surely one of the easier games - West Brom at home would have made more sense.

On the Masch thing, it would be disappointed if true.

I think this game is a bit too soon for Poulsen in that the pace is likely to be a lot faster than he has experienced in Spain and Italy especially given his lack of any games in pre-season so I would understand starting Lucas ahead of him.

Agger starting ahead of Aurelio is probably the right choice if Dagger is up to it, especially given how understandably rusty Aurelio looked the last night.

Even if a deal is done for Insua before deadline day the complete sidelining of him in pre-season looks sort of foolish now especially in those games where there was no left-back available (and will look even sillier if he stays)

Cant see this game as being anything other than tight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

What an absoloutley rediclous comment to make.

The point is people consntalty use ppr to prove lucas is a good player.

Ignoring the fact he's absoloutley useless in any area on the park. On a consitent basis he can't open defences, his range of pass is very limited, his concentration levels are poor, his descion making is poor, his tackling is poor.

There's really no redeeming features about his game, yet instead of tacking that you make some random comment on the state of football?

wtf!!

While not being the greatest of players the above appraisal is obviously from someone who knows little about football.

Masch not in squad.... FACT!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

i%20like%20where%20this%20thread%20is%20going.jpg

Things are hotting up in here ! :D

While not being the greatest of players the above appraisal is obviously from someone who knows little about football.
    Good sir i know nothing about you.. But i can assume you are a Liverpool fan, cause only Liverpool fans can see any ounce of talent in Lucas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

the funny thing is city played 3 such players in midfield last week against spurs

redzerdrog wrote: »
    the funny thing is city played 3 such players in midfield last week against spurs
    But these players can tackle! And are quite a handful for opposition midfielders allowing our forwards to focus on attack!:)

• Advertisement

Good sir i know nothing about you.. But i can assume you are a Liverpool fan, cause only Liverpool fans can see any ounce of talent in Lucas.

Well Liverpool fans watch him game in game out. You don't. Now he's not the most gifted of footballers but he's honest and puts in a decent shift. Uses his head and reads the game reasonably well.

Whether long term he has a future depends in him continuing to improve at the rate he did towars the end of last season.

But these players can tackle! And are quite a handful for opposition midfielders allowing our forwards to focus on attack!:)

Yeah, they really had Spurs on the ropes. A spurs midfield that consisted of Modric and Huddlestone. Honestly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Hopefully Reina will keep up his scoring form.

Yeah, they really had Spurs on the ropes. A spurs midfield that consisted of Modric and Huddlestone. Honestly.

Huddlestone is a good player though, far far better than many give him credit for, and was strong enough to match the tacklers in that game. Was not overly surprised to see him coming out on top against the more expensive players.

Well Liverpool fans watch him game in game out. You don't. Now he's not the most gifted of footballers but he's honest and puts in a decent shift. Uses his head and reads the game reasonably well.
    Whether long term he has a future depends in him continuing to improve at the rate he did towars the end of last season.
    I am a huge football fan and watch every live game on... I have easliy seen 60% of Lucas' games and quite some more if u include highlights, so i think i can comment on him as he should do enough in this time to leave an impression... I do fear for this thread going to a bad place and as i was warned last week im going to respectively walk away from this Lucas debate with this... He is a footballer in title and title only. I have no problem with people saying he is a footballer like Luke Chadwick is a footballer.. Nothing more... That is all.

I am a huge football fan and watch every live game on... I have easliy seen 60% of Lucas' games and quite some more if u include highlights, so i think i can comment on him as he should do enough in this time to leave an impression... I do fear for this thread going to a bad place and as i was warned last week im going to respectively walk away from this Lucas debate with this... He is a footballer in title and title only. I have no problem with people saying he is a footballer like Luke Chadwick is a footballer.. Nothing more... That is all.

Awesome post. Back of the net with that one.

seriously...the Lucas bashing/debate ends here.

talk about the match please, and let's be adults.

if you really want to talk about Lucas, go to the Liverpool thread (though i don't know how well received it will be in there!), or resurrect the Lucas thread from a few months ago.

now back on topic...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Reckon this will be a 0-0.

Or maybe a narrow Liverpool win. City still need some time.

Think Masch will be a huge lose to the Pool so i reckon City could edge it.... I do worry for City going into this to be honest, can imagine one of those "Mancini should go! 1 point from two games with all that money yadda yadda yadda" kinda topics in the paper and on SSN tomoz.

Put a fiver on 0-0 hope to jesus im wrong!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

C'mon Tevez.... and c'mon Liverpool.

• Advertisement

So is the discussion of any player in this match banned or is it just lucas?

just for clarification purposes.

Lucas is playing tonight so we'll all get a right good look at him.

if you can't tell that that conversation was going to descend into farce, if it hadn't already, then sorry.

it's better left to the team superthread or a specific thread; especially this close to kick off.

it's more a judgment call in this case, rather than an absolute cast iron rule, set in stone for the rest of eternity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Ok so lets get this straight.

Liverpool have a newish manager who many have their claws out for already, City have an unpopular manager as it is, Aquilani has a stomach bug I presume, Lucas will be playing, Kuyt and Gerrard will be playing too, Balotelli could make his debut, James Milner could be involved, it's City's first game post-Stephen Ireland, Rafa Benitez won silverware over the weekend, not forgetting it's Liverpool vs City with a large abundance of United fans lurking about....and now Mascherano goes on strike!?

Best of luck mods!

train-wreck.jpg

pool going 4 4 2?

:eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Archimedes wrote: »
    Ok so lets get this straight.

Liverpool have a newish manager who many have their claws out for already, City have an unpopular manager as it is, Aquilani has a stomach bug I presume, Lucas will be playing, Kuyt and Gerrard will be playing too, Balotelli could make his debut, James Milner could be involved, it's City's first game post-Stephen Ireland, Rafa Benitez won silverware over the weekend, not forgetting it's Liverpool vs City with a large abundance of United fans lurking about....and now Mascherano goes on strike!?

Best of luck mods!

train-wreck.jpg

Aquilani is in Italy :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

I've got a bad feeling about this one.

Hart, Richards, Lescott, Toure, Kompany, De Jong, Milner, Yaya, Barry, Johnson, Tevez.

adox wrote: »
    Aquilani is in Italy :confused:

He'll still have a stomach bug ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Jesus this MNF stuff's desperate tack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Gonna go for a City win. Poor form from Mascherano if true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What the **** is wrong with the internet? No one is listing the actual starting 11.

Masch is NOT in the squad, Torres is starting as is Agger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

As a UTD fan I dont know who to cheer on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

If we had Masch and were playing our usual 4-2-3-1 formation, I'd be quite confident of getting a result against that City team. Little to no attacking threat. Johnson the only player I'd be worried about.

In a 4-4-2 with Lucas & Gerrard in CM however... :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

MUSSOLINI wrote: »

Shouldn't you be cheering on an IRISH team? ;)

• Advertisement

Strong bench anyway - Given, Zabaleta, SWP, Vieira, Silva, Adebayor, Jo.

No Super Mario though :(

Support Liverpool or City?

As Bernard Black once said, I'll just have to hope that when I flip the coin, it somehow explodes and kills me.

MUSSOLINI wrote: »

totally confused myself.

leaning towards city getting destroyed tho :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Liverpoool Starting XI in OP, showed the City one on Sky Sports but didn't take it down in time and I can't find it on the internetz

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Strong bench anyway - Given, Zabaleta, SWP, Vieira, Silva, Adebayor, Jo.

No Super Mario though :(

Good thing Vieira is on the bench. Should ye take the lead, it might be advisable to bring on a defensive midfielder and shore things up a bit. Can't be too careful.

• Advertisement
Advertisement