Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester City vs. Liverpool Match Thread 20.00 KO

Comments

Did Yaya start?

Ya

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

I know he's not had to do much, but what do people think of Joe Hart so far? He's looked far from commanding and theres been a few mishaps with his defence, especially Kompany, there's been a lack of communication, Given-esque :P

Kompany is a great centre back in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

As usual gerrards an easy target there's a lot worse than him out there wearing red

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

At doing what?

Defensive midfielding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

niallo27 wrote: »
    None at all, none at all

I'm a big fan of 4-2-3-1, and this is the first game that RH has started 4-4-2, quite why he chose to go "stone-age" tonight is hard to figure out.

Torres getting a bit more lively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

HT.

Have to say that City are well worth their lead, and were the better team by some distance in the first 45.

Liverpool would want to up their game a hell of a lot to get something from this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Good half for Man City, glad that the Pool are not farther behind. Some of Man City's play has been a different gravy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

As usual gerrards an easy target there's a lot worse than him out there wearing red

Yeah but the rest arent the superest bestest reds evah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Superb half but the hardened City fan in me still has doubts.

Kuyt is woeful, Agger's been caught out twice, Lucas non existent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Did Yaya start?

Yeah, he did. But Liverpool didn't.

mike65 wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of 4-2-3-1, and this is the first game that RH has started 4-4-2, quite why he chose to go "stone-age" tonight is hard to figure out.

Torres getting a bit more lively.

I'd say he might have been encouraged with how suprs were able to get at city.

It's just he's probably realised he doesn't have as good as players.

wixfjord wrote: »
    Kuyt is woeful, Agger's been caught out twice, Lucas non existent.

I don't think Agger will want to come out for the second half to be honest, AJ is terrorising him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Good to see Kuyt's heavy first touch is alive & well.

Lucas non existent.

Careful now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

He is the one that the media and many fans wet themselves over, proclaiming his greatness over and over. I would just be happy to see him putting in effort for a full game at this point.

When Lucas has a poor game he gets slated, same with pretty much any other Liverpool player. Gerrard has been poor for a year for Liverpool, but still he has commentators and fans making excuses for him.

I think a lot more should be expected from a team's captain.

Good to see Kuyt's heavy first touch is alive & well.

he has a first touch like Mick McCarthy :pac:

Defensive midfielding.

All he does is stand infront of the back four doing nothing, apart from the odd tackle, he's a far worse passer than Agger and isn't creative, he doesn't bring much to the side and well, I personally don't see whats there. Liverpool should snap the hands off anyone willing to part with 20 Million + for him, he's simply overrated.

karma_ wrote: »
    I don't think Agger will want to come out for the second half to be honest, AJ is terrorising him.

Shouldnt be playing anyway if he has been concussed as bad as has been said.

The big names always get singled out for criticism.

Himself and Lucas are up against 3 excellent city mids and are never gonna come out on top.

Mancini has got his tactics spot on.

Roy needs another decent half time team talk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

ntlbell wrote: »
    Yeah but the rest arent the superest bestest reds evah

I hate that this is the level matchday threads come to on boards, pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

Kess73 wrote: »
    He is the one that the media and many fans wet themselves over, proclaiming his greatness over and over. I would just be happy to see him putting in effort for a full game at this point.

When Lucas has a poor game he gets slated, same with pretty much any other Liverpool player. Gerrard has been poor for a year for Liverpool, but still he has commentators and fans making excuses for him.

I think a lot more should be expected from a team's captain.

Look at the ground he's covering Kess.

He's in there on in his own. I can't mention the reason why,apparently for fear of exposing a ****e player for being utterly ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Ok, fairly dreadful stuff, but towards the end Gerrard came back into it and we looked better.

The formation is not working and nobody is linking the front two at all. Maxi on for N'Gog or Torres and playing behind one of them might be a good option.

City, for all their possession, aren't creating too many chances, and we're still in the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Superb half but the hardened City fan in me still has doubts.

*sniggers*

Ahem, anyway, ya good first half from City. Liverpool midfield being dominated.

I cant see how anyone could single Gerrard out as being poor, to a man we have been terrible. At least at one nil we're still in the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Liverpool totally outclassed in the first half but there's only one goal in it. What's certain is Liverpool need to change their formation for the second half. Toally outnumbered in the midfield.

Is AJ now officially the boards name for Adam Johnson?:D

All he does is stand infront of the back four doing nothing, apart from the odd tackle
    So very wrong.
    he's a far worse passer than Agger and isn't creative
    Yes
    he doesn't bring much to the side and well, I personally don't see whats there.
    So very wrong!

i wish we'd stop playing a CB at LB.

it's wearing thin at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Impressive first half display from city. Its scary thinking that team still has Silva and Balotelli to come into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i blame Lucas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well City looked fantastic in that half of football. Liverpool look really smooth in tansition from back to front until the ball gets to Torres or N'Gog, I've been really impressed by Jovanovic, Gerrard playing well too but he left his shooting boots at home by the looks of things.

The goal well I don't really blame anybody for that, maybe somebody should have had Barry covered but it was a really good goal.

The big problem for Liverpool is the speed at which City break and how easy it is for them to get the ball up to the attackers very quickly. I think one of the front two has to be taken off or they are going to get caught out at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

rarnes1 wrote: »
    i wish we'd stop playing a CB at LB.

it's wearing thin at this stage

I'm glad people are realising he was not and never will be right for that position, no viable alternatives though unfortunately.

I hate that this is the level matchday threads come to on boards, pathetic.

tip, don't click the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Yellowledbetter

Poulsen on for Dave is a must,were getting battered in midfield

Jova really needs to give Agger a bit more help,AJ having a stomer

Hopefully we get a decent 2nd half like against Arsenal

Mr Alan wrote: »
    i blame Lucas

What changes would you make Mr Al?

• Advertisement

adox wrote: »
    Liverpool totally outclassed in the first half but there's only one goal in it. What's certain is Liverpool need to change their formation for the second half. Toally outnumbered in the midfield.

Is AJ now officially the boards name for Adam Johnson?:D

City fans christened him that fairly early on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Jovanovic has been the most impressive Liverpool player so far.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

jOCAvic not getting any joy with richards, aurelio could do better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Gerrard playing well? What have you been smoking this evening EE?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Roy off, Rafa on

• Advertisement

fly in hypia?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Poulson on for Ngog or Torres, Gerrard into the hole. Or Maxi on for one of them and to play in the hole with Gerrard to stay in CM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

If it is Torres and Dave up front I would be very interesting to see how they do as I thought after Maxi's subbing for Dave against Trabzonspor we lost our way in the game, especially in midfield. Don't know if this is the game to switch formation - surely one of the easier games - West Brom at home would have made more sense.

On the Masch thing, it would be disappointed if true.

I think this game is a bit too soon for Poulsen in that the pace is likely to be a lot faster than he has experienced in Spain and Italy especially given his lack of any games in pre-season so I would understand starting Lucas ahead of him.

Agger starting ahead of Aurelio is probably the right choice if Dagger is up to it, especially given how understandably rusty Aurelio looked the last night.

Even if a deal is done for Insua before deadline day the complete sidelining of him in pre-season looks sort of foolish now especially in those games where there was no left-back available (and will look even sillier if he stays)

Cant see this game as being anything other than tight.

Wrong choice to switch to 4-4-2 and maybe having had the option to play a LB at LB wouldnt be that bad an option?

Sacrifice Dave for Maxi or Pacheco

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Ah well.. it's not too bad, just bring on Masch to.... oh... ah right well a bit of creativity instead how about Aquilani... he's gone too.. am ok. Roy work that half time team talk so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Great stuff so far from City, need to kick on and put this game out of sight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Has Ngog or Torres passed it to each other yet?

ntlbell wrote: »
    fly in hypia?

Why?

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Poulson on for Ngog or Torres, Gerrard into the hole. Or Maxi on for one of them and to play in the hole with Gerrard to stay in CM.

Sorry I misread your "Please this embarassing" earlier on as a sleight on mike65's suggestions.

That has to be the way to go. Completely outplayed in the middle.

Why?

I was afraid you might pick me up on that.

Look over your head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Kuyt is woeful tonight, give him the ball and the best you can hope for is to get it back. Offering nothing in attack whatsoever.

• Advertisement
Advertisement