Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hens Roosting

Options
  • 22-08-2010 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Just got 6 hens and they've been in the new pen / coop since Friday. Bought them from a poultry farm near Mallow, Co. Cork where I presume they grew up on the ground in a large shed etc?

Now that they are in the new coop at night etc is there anything I can do to "train" them to use the roosting perches so I can keep as much of the droppings in that area as possible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I have two ex-battery hens who did not know how to roost. My other chicken wer ehappily roosting but the two hybrids slept on the floor and got pooped on :(. So I put in low cardbord boxes and they slowly used them to roost on, and later higher boxes until they got the thrift. After 6 weeks they happily roosted with the other chicken and have done so ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 barfletcher

Thanks Edgar

Will give that a go. Mine are not battery but were more than likely raised in a large flock in a shed floor somewhere.

Read online too that hens go in to a "trance" while sleeping and can be placed on the perches?

Ever heard of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I've tried that but they just fell off. :eek:

Advertisement