Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ruger rifles

Options
  • 22-08-2010 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭

i have been doing a bit of looking lately for a foxing rifle, have been looking at 223 and 204 mostly, held a ruger mark11 varmint yesterday in 204, it felt a lovely rifle to hold nice weight etc, but i know nothing about ruger, have they a good name etc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

good rifle terrible trigger though i have the allweather version in 223 flavour it's light short and easily mavoeverable and accurate but it has a terrible trigger , it's unadjustable too to add insult to injury so the only option is to change it for an aftermarket one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

My brother has a MKII VT in 204. It's an excellent rifle and it has a "target" 2 x stage trigger. It ain't as good as a Timmney, Jewell etc BUT it is a good trigger

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

jap gt wrote: »
    i have been doing a bit of looking lately for a foxing rifle, have been looking at 223 and 204 mostly, held a ruger mark11 varmint yesterday in 204, it felt a lovely rifle to hold nice weight etc, but i know nothing about ruger, have they a good name etc

Largest civilian firearms company in the USA since the early 1950's.

Pioneered the use of investment castings to permit rapid and precise manufacture for small parts, including revolver and semi-auto handgun frames.

Poneered the use of stainless steel in handguns and long arms for civiliuan use.

Re-invented the 'cowboy' six-gun - the Ruger Single Six - the most bought .22 handgun ever made, in blued steel and stainless.

Developed and popularised the 'Blackhawk' and 'Super Blackhawk' - together the most popular 'modern' single-action revolvers ever made, again in blued steel and stainless.

Invented the modular construction solid frame large-calibre revolver - the Redhawk and later the super Redhawk - in full stainless steel AND blued steel.

Re-invented the Remington Model Army of 1858 as the all-stainless steel Ruger Old Army - the most sold s/s .44 calibre BP revolver ever made. Two different barrel length and blued versions, too.

Pioneered the 'lower end' of semi-automatic target pistols in 1949/52 with a design that has lasted virtually unchanged ever since - the most popular .22 handgun ever made - the Mk 1-III.

Pioneered the provision of dedicated 'come-in-the-box' scope mounts for rifle and hand-gun.

Introduced and subsequently produced the world's most popular .22 semi-auto rifle - the 10/22.

AND the mini-garand look-alike - the Mini-14 carbine and ranch rifle, blued steel and stainless.

Innovators, pioneers, inventors, investors in the whole range of shooting sports from shotguns to handguns of all kinds.

Re-invented the single-shot falling-block rifle - the Ruger No 1 - in literally dozens of calibres.

Developed the Ruger .204 - the fastest-stepping production small-calibre centre-fire cartridge since the .220 Swift in 1935.

First American company to make an affordable over and under shotgun - for a while, that is...

Yup, they make some nice, affordable guns.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

I have a 77/22, the original trigger was very heavy but consistent. I stuck in a Volquartsen sear I got for about $10, took it down to a manageable 4lbs or so... Takes about 5 mins to fit- no tools required...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Missed the Ruger mini14 rifle,hunter,plinker,and anything else rifle in all that Tac.:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Missed the Ruger mini14 rifle,hunter,plinker,and anything else rifle in all that Tac.:D

Sadly they have been banned here in yUK since 1988, and they kind of slipped my mind, y'know?

Still, even missing that out, what I posted seems to have been twenty times more than anybody else bothered to do do, eh?

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Well, they have been around in straight pull versions in the UK for the last couple of years too,and proably post 88.Seeing that you didnt make it obvious in your most intresting post that you were only referring to Ruger in Europe.I assumed you were referring to Ruger USA and worldwide.
    Sorry for breathing!:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I have a Ruger 77/22 hornet and I am very happy with it, I have a 10/22 delux and its a dinger

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Well, they have been around in straight pull versions in the UK for the last couple of years too,and proably post 88.Seeing that you didnt make it obvious in your most intresting post that you were only referring to Ruger in Europe.I assumed you were referring to Ruger USA and worldwide.
    Sorry for breathing!:rolleyes:

Well, Sir - its like this, y'see. Knowing the proclivity that a number of folks on this forum have for leppin' up and down like pee on a stove-lid at the mere mention of the RUC/PSNI and their great love of the Mini-14's, I thought I'd leave off from mentioning the model. The single version I've seen here in yUK was a highly-tricked out conversion with all sorts of doo-dads on it - carbon-sleeved barrel, fancy muzzle-brake, whoopy-do forend handguard made of carbon fibre and unicorn horn and a lots of 'look-at-me-I'm-tactical' bits - straight-pull in .223 and a complete pile of ****e for the poor owner who parted with over £1200 for it.

Ruger discontinued ALL production of the straight-pull Mini-14 back in 2006, BTW, just as soon as the Old Man, William B Ruger, was safely boxed up and packed away with his fathers. They also stopped all porduction of the 'made for yUK only' long-barrelled Super Redhawk in .357Mag - I'd guess from sheer embarrassment. E-mail me for a pic of mine that you can post here - it'll give the lads a real laff.

I know very little about Ruger in Europe, only about the shooting of the couple I have here in yUK [Old Army in .44 BP and Super Redhawk with 14" barrel and scope] and the seven I have in the USA - handguns and rifles.

Best

tac, suitably lightened

Advertisement