Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Band/Group/Comedian/Person Would You Like To See In UL This Year?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

cson wrote: »
    Come on lads keep it on topic; if you've issues discuss it with the mod.

If we're talking about dream bands then Flight of the Conchords without a doubt. Wouldn't mind seeing Delorentos again; thought they were really good the time they played.

That'd be the greatest thing EVER!

Even if there's no chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭JohnnyQuid

Jako8 wrote: »
    And So I Watch You From Afar. Trying to keep it somewhat realisitic. :p

YES!!!!OMG YES
    Checked out some of their stuff after I seen this and I'd love to see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Heya

As you guys know, if there's an issue with moderation I'm very happy to discuss it by PM. That's what's done on the entire site (rather then slinging a hook around the thread and driving it off on a tangent about a yellow card or a warning) so that's the way we do it here. And yeah, there was a warning issued for getting personal and insulting with another forum member. And another one over the weekend for making a comment about reposting a post made by another member that I had deleted partly for inaccuracy and partly for legal reasons (like it or not, mods have a duty to stop things that may result in the site getting sued, unfortunately that's a call I have to make, and making comments about reposting dodgy posts like that will get a warning zap anywhere on boards.ie). I'm not in the habit of issuing cards for fun, nor am I going to start.

Giggles are cool but politeness is cheap. Giggles are a bonus, reasonable politeness is expected - even in a social forum like this one. Virtually all of you get that and I rather appreciate that you do, it makes the forum better and my life easier. There aren't very many of them issued here (usually about one a fortnight or a month, as opposed to Politics, where I issue substantially more and rightly so). Now, if anyone wants to discuss that, it's very easy to send me a PM, which will get replied to asap. If something ever needs to be escalated to the admins from this forum, one of the other site admins will handle it for fairness - there are about 15 of us so I don't act as final arbiter in any decision I make as mod of the local forum here. In the meantime though, acting the insulting git is out as it always has been (the standard required isn't very high) and I'm far more concerned about reasonable (and I stress, reasonable) common courtesy rather than the needs of anyone to insult anyone else. Yellow cards are nudges - they're not serious but they're to be noticed. They're usually actually less serious and less noticeable to everyone else than being called out publicly on-thread and being asked to behave and learn some basic manners. See, now it's far more public than it was intended to be when the card was issued (I don't have a problem with that - it's for the forum member's benefit that it's kept on the nudge level).

Comments by PM to me if you want to. This thread is about what band, comedian etc you guys would like to see in UL - it's a good idea, make it about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Burswood

Just got offered a place in UL. I read that Tommy Emmanuel is playing UL? Would love to see him. The man is a genius - and an all-round entertainer

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Burswood wrote: »
    Just got offered a place in UL. I read that Tommy Emmanuel is playing UL? Would love to see him. The man is a genius - and an all-round entertainer
    Ah, now that one'll cost you. €22.50 as a student by the looks of things. The SU-run comedy & music events are usually rather cheaper than that but apparently he's rather good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭entropic

These guys would be awesome for a music/comedy gig, though getting them might be difficult without the proper setup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭FerrisBueller

NOT The Blizzards :) X amount of times in the last 4/5 years has been enough :)
    Also whilst I'm not a big fan of them apparently N-Dubz put on a great show and have played in plenty of unis in the UK.
    But if you can get Pendulum, I'm there.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Evo

sceptre wrote: »
    Ah, now that one'll cost you. €22.50 as a student by the looks of things. The SU-run comedy & music events are usually rather cheaper than that but apparently he's rather good.

I'll pay that no problem.

Would love to see Sinnerboy play UL.. but I wonder how many students actually know who Rory Gallagher is since they listen to modern crap most of the time..

begin slating for that remark.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭snazzy

Realistic:
    Fred
    Bell X1
    Fight Like Apes
    Two Door Cinema Club (maybe,... just maybe)

Unrealistic:
    Flight of the Conchords
    Paolo Nutini
    Calvin Harris
    Mystery Jets
    Wild Beasts
    Local Natives
    and a rake more

Pretty happy with Johnny Flynn. Love him.

As for comedians, I´d love Dara O, Michael McIntyre or Bill Bailey. Having seen the former two, I´d particularly love Bill Bailey,. But there´s not a flying fiddler´s fart we´d get him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭entropic

Evo wrote: »
    I'll pay that no problem.

Would love to see Sinnerboy play UL.. but I wonder how many students actually know who Rory Gallagher is since they listen to modern crap most of the time..

begin slating for that remark.. :)

I thought he was taking a break form music after Oasis broke up :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

snazzy wrote: »
    Realistic:
    Fred
    Bell X1
    Fight Like Apes
    Two Door Cinema Club (maybe,... just maybe)

Unrealistic:
    Flight of the Conchords
    Paolo Nutini
    Calvin Harris

Mystery Jets
    Wild Beasts
    Local Natives
    and a rake more

Pretty happy with Johnny Flynn. Love him.

As for comedians, I´d love Dara O, Michael McIntyre or Bill Bailey. Having seen the former two, I´d particularly love Bill Bailey,. But there´s not a flying fiddler´s fart we´d get him.

+1 to those two highlighted.

It'd be a seriously rocking night to warm up with Paolo Nutini and then into the Lodge to here Calvin Harris spinning :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

It'd be a seriously rocking night to warm up with Paolo Nutini and then into the Lodge to here Calvin Harris spinning :D

That would be the funniest thing I would ever see! Calvin Harris spinning in the grand surrounds of the lodge......possibly even doing rock the boat :D

I know, right!?
    If only. I have a thing for Scottish men and was terribly disappointed when Calvin was advertised in Trooms but that fell through and I missed out on Mr. Nutini for this Arthur´s Day.
    If he is in Cork before Arthur´s Day, why not book him for earlier in the week. Hmmm?
    Could be done!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭bobo the clown

ninty9er wrote: »
    The Blizzards played about 6 times in the last 4 years
    Thats as bad as being a grammar nazi. He was obviously messing. That deserves a warning if there being handed around for correcting peoples spelling. and still 6 times in 4 years is aheck of a lot.

Back on topic. I think people are being a bit unrealistic with some of them bands

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

what about Kevin bloody wilson

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭bobo the clown

mayo_lad wrote: »
    what about Kevin bloody wilson
    [/YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6ESG7ossRNY?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6ESG7ossRNY?fs=1&hl=en_US&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
    theres something wrong there:D

Any of the ents crew have some inside info as to the activities that will be happening next week? When do the new first years get their welcome packs mailed out to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Any of the ents crew have some inside info as to the activities that will be happening next week? When do the new first years get their welcome packs mailed out to them?

I don't remember being mailed out a welcome pack :confused:

CiaranMT wrote: »
    I don't remember being mailed out a welcome pack :confused:

You did. How did you know what day to report for orientation? Also the info about the fees to be paid etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Something like Local Natives or Grizzly Bear would be rather epic.

Not that that would happen.

As long as we don't have The Blizzards and The Coronas playing every night of the week. Really hate The Coronas.

• Advertisement

Local Natives pppawwwnnn Grizzly Bear live though. They are playing Whelan´s in Dublin November 15th so I´d love an appearance at some stage.
    Grizzly Bear are a/ unachievable and b/ would be wasted on a large percentage, to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    You did. How did you know what day to report for orientation? Also the info about the fees to be paid etc

Makes sense :pac:
    snazzy wrote: »
    Grizzly Bear would be wasted on a large percentage, to be fair.

Too true. UL's collective taste in music isn't great. Unless it's being spouted about in NME or on MTV, people seem to be afraid to listen to new or 'unheard of' stuff.

EDIT: Fleet Foxes playing alongside Grizzly Bear in Dolan's with a student ticket rate would DEFINITELY be something I would go to. If only...

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Treetirty

Don't know if I know any bands that I like would realistically play at UL since I don't listen to much Irish made music outside of the likes of Two Door Cinema Club. However, another vote for Local Natives from me.

And um, had a look through Ticketmaster to see bands playing in Ireland in the coming months that are unlikely but I'd love to see ~ The Drums, Beach House and The Gaslight Anthem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 berserkpaperbag

Jako8 wrote: »
    65daysofstatic, Adebisi Shank, And So I Watch You From Afar or Fred. Trying to keep it somewhat realisitic. :p

I agree with all of the above. UL could do with some great post-rock.

Even Limerick's very own Built For Comfort for a bit of blues rock if there's enough interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

I know it's unrealistic............. but I would love to see Bill Bailey live !!!!

He's awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

DJCR wrote: »
    I know it's unrealistic............. but I would love to see Bill Bailey live !!!!

He's awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

now that would be an epic gig :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭not bakunin

There's loads of great acts out there that the SU or even Music Soc could easily get to play here if only they got proactive about it. There's great Irish music out there at the moment, and most of the acts are constantly touring..

- ASIWYFA
    - The Cast of Cheers
    - Adebisi Shank
    - Jogging
    - Redneck Manifesto
    - So Cow
    - Kowalski
    - The Ambience Affair
    - The Coonics
    - FLApes (incredible set here last year and a new album out)
    - Yes Cadets
    - Hunter-Gatherer

...come to mind immediately.
    Hell, why not be even more adventurous and try some electro artists?

For foreign acts, it's not that hard to check out bands' touring schedules for the next few months and then just dropping them an email asking would they be interested in making a UL detour..

I don't think it's fair that the music fans of UL should be constantly sujected to the Coronas and Blizzards again and again....I'd personally be happy with just one appearance of any of the above all year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

beg Sum41 to come (doughtful though hah):L....touring all of Europe,playing in the UK 7 times yet not Ireland ><

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Neil Delamare should definately come back :)

• Advertisement

Redneck Manifesto are playing in Dolan's for their Arthur's Day celebration.
    Wouldn't mind seeing Jape play here though speaking of which. Or Cathy Davey or Gemma Hayes.

Advertisement