Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leaving work on account of health

• 22-08-2010 11:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there,

I've been ill with an undiagnosed illness for the past 4 years. The past 8 years have been extremely difficult, and becoming even more progressively so. I have been in and out of work over the past 2 months with illness, and it's only a matter of time before I am left go. I am really trying my best to overcome it, often going into work on days where I feel like hell - but it has just become too much for me.

I have had at least 20+ visits to the doctor, and 4 or 5 hospital visits - all where they have been unable to diagnose the problem. I can't wait for a diagnosis while my health is being slaughtered. What's worse, is my job can be extremely stressful - and on bad days where I'm feeling really unwell - the stress gets too much for me.

I want to know what options are open to me. If I quit work, am I entitled to benefits? I really can't see myself working any longer until my health returns. I've worked all my life since the age of 15 (I'm 28 this December), and have never asked for a free ride - but I will need financial assistance. I haven't had a break in years, and have either being consistently working full-time, or working part-time with full-time college.

Can I get assistance, and what is required of me to do so? I don't want to just walk from the job, and being unable to pay bills - but I also don't want to routinely be in and out of work sick, having to deal with the stress from my supervisor getting onto me over missing days.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

well if your ill just get a letter from your doctor and go on the sick there isnt much your boss can do as long as its above board, if you just quit your job as far as i know you wont be entitled to anything from the social for 9 weeks

Advertisement