Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleep Deprivation and death

Options
  • 23-08-2010 12:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

Whats the longest somebody could possibly go without sleep and NOT drop dead???

Just wondering because i'm reaching my 72 hour limit, last time i went a bit over that, collapsed. pretty funny really so anyway, any doctors out there that know the limit to sleeplessness?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44,501 ✭✭✭✭Deki

"Randy Gardner holds a Guinness world record for the longest period of time a human being has intentionally gone without sleep not using stimulants of any kind. In 1964, as a 17-year-old high school student in San Diego, California, Gardner stayed awake for 264 hours (11 days) with the help of friends, TV reporters, and shooting hoops. On his final day without sleep, Gardner presided over a press conference where he spoke without slurring or stumbling his words and in general appeared to be in excellent health. “I wanted to prove that bad things didn’t happen if you went without sleep,” said Gardner. “I thought, ‘I can break that (Peter Tripp’s 1959) record and I don’t think it would be a negative experience.’” Sleep experts now believe that such sleep deprivation stunts are dangerous"
    http://sleepzine.com/sleep-news/randy-gardner-hold-the-world-record-for-not-sleeping-for-264-hours/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Lack of sleep can kill you after a certain period albeit a long one. There was a documentary recently following a group of people suffering from a rare disorder preventing them from sleeping. One of them actually died while it was being made.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Reeni

I'd be interested in seeing that docu, would you happen to know the name?

I'm an insomniac and man does having feck all sleep have an impact on my health. Also makes me an irritable b*tch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

11 days, wow.

I couldn't sleep for 4 days once, I started hallucinating and then pretty much fell over.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I can't manage more than 24 hours at this point...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

4 days is my record. Still alive.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

I can't manage more than 24 hours at this point...
    24 is pushing it for me as well. I swear the older you get......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭angelxx

I think the longest I went without sleep was 48 hours and I was shattered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

Its almost impossible for a healthy person to die from lack of sleep, although they are more likely to have accidents and the like. Even when someone thinks they havent slept at all testign usually shows that have brief micro sleeps of a half minute or less(even fraction of a second).

The cases reffered to above are caused bt fatal famlial insomnia, a horrible genetic disorder .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

A day and a half was probably the most I've managed.
    Thankfully there've not been many occasions when I've had to force myself to stay awake a long time; usually if I try to, I don't manage, just turn into a zombie after a very short while.

• Advertisement

I went for 48 hours on a journey to Switzerland once. It was grand because I was travelling with a group, and it was a bit of craic. I can't imagine doing it on my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Nuggles

I did three (four-ish) days.Was ill and in constant pain, decided to wait it out til the doctor was around on the monday. Worst weekend ever. Started hallucinating. Wasn't fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭didntgotoplan

Around 48-60 hours would be the longest for me, but I did have a week during exams one college year when I would only sleep like 3 hours each night due to worry and no studying done. Luckily that stopped the year after as I couldn't care less after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_deprivation

Theres some info about the longest period without sleep in here

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭bdr529

try working night shifts, then you'll find out what sleep deprivation is all about....
    managed to get about 10hrs sleep over 4 days last week. after 10yrs of night shifts wife still doesn't understand that washing machines, hoovers and shouting at kids has a habit of waking a dude up.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

bdr529 wrote: »
    try working night shifts, then you'll find out what sleep deprivation is all about....
    managed to get about 10hrs sleep over 4 days last week. after 10yrs of night shifts wife still doesn't understand that washing machines, hoovers and shouting at kids has a habit of waking a dude up.
    Exactly, then there's the feckers outside who think nothing of banging on your front door to deliver a package for a neighbor or fire up the old riding mower to cut a postage stamp of a lawn.

bastards, Ted! Bastards!

I just hate people who work day shifts and know I work nights thinking nothing of calling right as I getting to sleep. Then they act like it's not so bad i have to out off my sleep for their silly questions. yeah, let me call them just as they off to bed before work in the morning.

another pain in the scrot is after the last shift...a few hours kip to try and kick back into daytime living...nobody can understand why you're a grumpy bastard! you are supposed to be happy and chirpy because you got a nice lie in till lunchtime....they don't realise that lunchtime is the same as getting up at 3am...

Exactly people have this astonishing difficulty with understanding that my whole sleep cycle is flipped from theirs is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

eamon234 wrote: »
    Lack of sleep can kill you after a certain period albeit a long one. There was a documentary recently following a group of people suffering from a rare disorder preventing them from sleeping. One of them actually died while it was being made.

Fatal Familial Insomnia I'm guessing. A very sad disease to have, and as far as I know, incurable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭eilo1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭eilo1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Izzy711

bdr529 and cyberwolf I totally feel your pain! My husband will wake me up at 1300 to iron his work clothes. It makes me soooo mad! I get to sleep around 0700 and I HATE being woken up.

I have friends who call me during the day also. It drives me insane. I have a habit of yelling at people who piss me off in my sleep though. Needless to say, they now text me during the day, haha.

Luckily, I can't hear much in my bedroom. It is like a tomb so it is fitting for a "vampire" like myself. :)

Izzy, 7.00-13.00 is 6 hours kip whats the problem get up and iron the poor mans clothes for jays' sake, he he he ....only joking but seriously, why haven't you hit him with the iron?

on one occasion, I had been up since 8am the day before because wife works and had to look after kids, went straight into a night shift and got into bed about 8am that morning. about 10am was woken by the sound of the other half shouting at the daughter in her bedroom and then kept awake by the child bawling her eyes out, had to get up to calm her down.
    about an hour later was woken by more shouting and crying downstairs, had to get back up to calm child and issue a make noise and die warning. about an hour after that, wife started hoovering......I got dressed, jumped in the car and went down to dollymount beach and had a sleep in the car. came back to 'huh!its well for you to be able to swan off for the afternoon'.
    honestly, some people don't have a clue ..

bdr529 wrote: »
    Izzy, 7.00-13.00 is 6 hours kip whats the problem get up and iron the poor mans clothes for jays' sake, he he he ....only joking but seriously, why haven't you hit him with the iron?

on one occasion, I had been up since 8am the day before because wife works and had to look after kids, went straight into a night shift and got into bed about 8am that morning. about 10am was woken by the sound of the other half shouting at the daughter in her bedroom and then kept awake by the child bawling her eyes out, had to get up to calm her down.
    about an hour later was woken by more shouting and crying downstairs, had to get back up to calm child and issue a make noise and die warning. about an hour after that, wife started hoovering......I got dressed, jumped in the car and went down to dollymount beach and had a sleep in the car. came back to 'huh!its well for you to be able to swan off for the afternoon'.
    honestly, some people don't have a clue ..

I haven't hit him with the iron yet, because I appreciate the fact that he has a job. Even though he drives me insane and thinks he is the only one that works sometimes. If I really lay down the law (with tears) he will let me be and not bother me.

We don't have kiddos yet, but that makes me nervous. I will not get ANY sleep once that happens. We have a 5 pound Teacup Yorkie. He used to not let him out before he left for work and Jasper would wake me up to let him outside. After much biitching he lets him out now before he goes ;).

If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!

I used to sleep in my car when I lived with my parents while B was deployed. That lasted all of 47 days. I quickly found my own apartment. Saving the extra money was not worth my sleep!

Izzy711 wrote: »
    bdr529 and cyberwolf I totally feel your pain! My husband will wake me up at 1300 to iron his work clothes. It makes me soooo mad! I get to sleep around 0700 and I HATE being woken up.

I have friends who call me during the day also. It drives me insane. I have a habit of yelling at people who piss me off in my sleep though. Needless to say, they now text me during the day, haha.

Luckily, I can't hear much in my bedroom. It is like a tomb so it is fitting for a "vampire" like myself. :)
    Ah, you use blackout curtains over the windows as well. I don't know how I ever got by without mine.

Ah, you use blackout curtains over the windows as well. I don't know how I ever got by without mine.

Actually, I am cheap. I have tin foil taped to my windows. :)

Izzy711 wrote: »
    Actually, I am cheap. I have tin foil taped to my windows. :)
    I use an old bedspread and duct tape. Works quite well though.

• Advertisement

I use an old bedspread and duct tape. Works quite well though.

A man after my cheap arse heart! Haha. :D

Advertisement