Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

medicine in Scotland

• 23-08-2010 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi,
    I'm heading into 6th year this year, so, I guess have to start thinking about college and all that:)...haha. What I'd really like to do is medicine, but I know how hard it is to get into in Ireland so am thinking about applying abroad. The only thing is I dont think I would even be able to go to england even if I got in because it would be too pricey for my parents. I was thinking about Scotland?...as I heard there was no fees. Could anyone give me advice on good colleges in Scotland to apply to? I know you have to write a personal statement but I'm worried I haven't really done anything extraordinary in my life so far(I'm 17:)). I'd love some advice or opinions...don't know where to begin..
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 who.dunnit

Medicine in Scotland is pretty hard to get into for Irish students for the reason you said-no fees. So alot of English students apply there. I've heard of one or two getting into Glasgow for Med so that might be one place to apply to. Be aware of the sterling conversion and paying for accomm etc, it might still work out more expensive than med in Ireland!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

who.dunnit wrote: »
    Medicine in Scotland is pretty hard to get into for Irish students for the reason you said-no fees. So alot of English students apply there. I've heard of one or two getting into Glasgow for Med so that might be one place to apply to. Be aware of the sterling conversion and paying for accomm etc, it might still work out more expensive than med in Ireland!!

English students do not receive free fees in Scotland. Other EU students do however, including Ireland.

Aberdeen is a good place to apply. Its not as popular an option as its pretty far up north and isolated, you're not in a city. I hear the offers are not as high. Plus its a cheaper place to live then Edinburgh/Glasgow.

There is a forum especially for medic applications in the uk on thestudentroom.co.uk, You will get a lot of advice there about your personal statement and how to meat it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 UndertheBridge

As who.dunnit said medicine is extremely hard to get into in Scotland. I looked into applying to the University of Edinburgh for med and the entry requirements for Irish students are extremely high....AAAAAA which must include an A in honours maths or physics....my downfall...I only have a C in maths and no physics!

Another thing which I did not know until I did plenty of research is that repeat grades or not accepted...so if you have or plan on repeating the LC you cannot qualify for entry.

I'm sure you are aware that october is the closing date for UCAS applications for medicine. For most unis in scotland you will need to do the UKCAT (an aptitude test similar to the HPAT). The application for this closes in september sometime. There are test centres in Ireland that you can do it in.

Advertisement