Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pet loves.

• 23-08-2010 12:41am
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Personal not general. As the title would would have you think.

For me a film (non elitist, non snob, non purist) user it's: Waiting. My Pet Love Of Photography is the Waiting. Between rolls and exposures there's the time to dream and hope.

But it's not about waiting on rolls to be developed(but that's good). Somuchmoreso it's about waiting on a slow tide to turn. Or turning up at the same spot for weeks on end waiting for the right sky...I don't like photography (I just use it) but I've grown to love its strolling pace.

My pet love- To eventually be being at the right position within the right time.

What's yours?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Thats deep!

I love the social interaction that comes with photography, I love capturing the smile at just the right angle to make a bride feel like she was the most beautiful woman in the world on her wedding day. I love the banter you get out of the lads acting up to the camera.

I love the fact that I can go out knowing I have a long hard day at work but yet still looking forward to it and enjoying every minute of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

- People who shoot only Nikon based camera systems.

- Using only 1st Party (Nikon) lenses).

- Using Apple computers to post process images.

- People with a sense of humour in photography

- People who don't take boards.ie scacred/as the bible or at least take it seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Blast Smelltheglove, I wish I was getting married again, I'd hire you... sob :D

I love that it transforms the most mundane of places/things/people, into the most interesting things in the world. Whether you're taking the pic or looking at it.
    (albeit sometimes that doesn't work for all people. ie : what's interesting to me is boring sh&te to others :o)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

pete4130 wrote: »
    - People who shoot only Nikon based camera systems.

- Using only 1st Party (Nikon) lenses).

- Using Apple computers to post process images.

- People with a sense of humour in photography

- People who don't take boards.ie scacred/as the bible or at least take it seriously.

Oooh I see what you did there..now that's shuperclever. Took me a while now but got there. Shuper.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67590801&postcount=115.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I love that I finally have a 'proper' hobby and get a huge amount of enjoyment from it. I love the community aspect to it and have met some really great people and some whom I'd rather not meet.

All in all it has made my life richer and more enjoyable and that's a lot to be thankful for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Blast Smelltheglove, I wish I was getting married again, I'd hire you... sob :D

Haha, what can I say, I love my job;) The amount of people I come across who say they hate weddings and I absolutely love them! If I could do one 5 days a week I'd be a happy bunny!

Haha, what can I say, I love my job;) The amount of people I come across who say they hate weddings and I absolutely love them! If I could do one 5 days a week I'd be a happy bunny!
    Good for you I love people who are passionate about their job, and it usually comes across in the results/outcome.

Humberklog hope you don't mind thought of another thing I love about photography : makes me see how other people see the world, and that's always strange and fascinating at the same time.

Oh god if I could I'd change the title of thread to its acronym Pet Loves Of Photography...PLOP.

Humberklog hope you don't mind thought of another thing I love about photography : makes me see how other people see the world, and that's always strange and fascinating at the same time.

Don't mind at all! Knock yourself out!!
    Yeah I go with that aswell. I love seeing someone else's escape route too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

The smell of film, a lovely sounding shutter and the same as you! Being in the right place at the right time.. Eventually!!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭Adriatic

I love using the lowest ISO. Oh yes.

Only this week I framed two photos I took.

Not amazing photos by any stretch of the imagination, but the frames are lovely, and I think the overall combo looks really nice (frames/photos i took).

I love to be able to look over and see a nice photo in a frame and think, "that looks really good" and then realise really quickly that I took the photo in the frame. Now, 99% of my shots are utter shiiite, so it's rare, but it's a nice feeling.

So, in short, I suppose that my bigest PLOP is always having an end result. Your photo might not look how you wanted it to, but you always have something to look at when you press that shutter button.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Scarlett68

1) Knowing that no matter what my intention was with an image that the human cognitive dynamic will see/interpret it in so many unique and variant ways

2) My occasional neophytic serendipity:D in capturing a moment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Puppies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

Pictures that have stories in them.

Pictures that make we want to know what's happening just outside the frame.

Pictures that are fuzzy on the edges (metaphorically more than literally).

The rare happy occasion that I manage to take a picture that does some of the above.

and iphone fauxlaroids

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

seeing the expression on a new clients face when they get a big print framed from me!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

seeing the expression on a new clients face when they get a big print framed from me!!

Seeing the expression on stcstc's face when a new client takes out their wallet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

he he, noooooooo

thats not what i ment at all, some of my recent new clients have not really printed anything more than like 6*4s and so when they see a 24*16 print they go wow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

Great topic, Humberklog!

Two parts I find addictive and love about my experiences.

Firstly it is roaming the streets. Camera at the ready, the streets are like a cruel mistress, you can have nothing that catches your eye for ages but it always delivers enough to keep you coming back. (This is an analogy a self admitted poor golfer friend uses about his relationship with golf, it applies here too)

Once though no matter what else is going on, once I get in ‘the zone’ the world around shrinks to everything within 50 feet that is a possible subject. The day to day problems left behind temporarily..This is the escape element. Then of course like other film users there is the anticipation, the smells and quiet calm of the darkroom as a prolonged final movement to the whole process. Each film and old camera combo producing their own cellulose based canvas unlike any other.

Similar to what the Humberklog referred to. I love how everything about film contradicts all the modern world of instant and now, now, now is trying to tell us. Faster isn’t always better.

Secondly, I love the conversations, with people who would never normally talk to me or I to them. The camera being the link to open the door, the life stories are often very sad, desperate but sometimes funny. What I learn is time and time again, no matter what a persons situation, one never looses their humanity or need for others in their life. It makes me thankful for my own privileged situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭DougL

I love the fact that photography gives me an excuse to be in the outdoors. The other night, I spent two hours sitting beside a river bank "waiting on the light", but really, I just needed to sit by a river bank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

I love the sound of the shutter, you just can't beat it.

I love reviewing my images and finding one that I really like. It doesn't have to be the best photograph, or technically perfect, just something that catches my eye.

I love the reassuring weight of a camera.

And most of all I love what I can do in public for the sake of an image. Its like having a free pass to act a little mad. Crawling under bushes, or along the ground. Lying in the middle of the path, or clambering up on something. The way you can contort yourself, or stick your lens into the smallest gap. Yet people don't give you a second glance, you are taking a photograph and thats acceptable. The added bonus is that you get to see the world differently, from angles that most others would never consider - its almost like being a child again. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Last night was really nice for me, it was my neices 1st birthday and I was snapping away all day, when everyone had gone and the baby was in bed. My brother(his child) and me sat down and were able to flick through all the photos, quickly joined by mother and grand parents lots of "ohh" "ahhh" "awww"'s.

It's things like that I like about digital.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ellieswellies

1. Picking up a roll of developed film and peering at the negatives the minute you get out of the shop :)

2. The sound of the shutter on my konica

3. Crazy cameras in thrift shops

4. Waiting on a polaroid or an instax to develop and giving it a good shake!

5. Old photographs

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

accidental double exposures which work out; i've a great one of my brother and my mum holding her first grandchild the day she was born; my brother then took the camera and managed to fire a shot of me holding her, but the film had only wound on half a frame, and the resulting 'shot' is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭thefizz

The sweet smell when entering my Darkroom. It really gets my creative juices flowing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

thefizz wrote: »
    The sweet smell when entering my Darkroom. It really gets my creative juices flowing.

Ewwww. 'sweet smell' and 'creative juices' are two phrases i've abruptly decided should never be used together ...

DaireQ I'm French and I've always found that getting the (creative) juices flowing phrase very gross, even without the smell thing. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

There's something very 'Blue Velvet' about that statement, Fizz ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Puppies

I love having other people's lenses :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭DougL

When a friend gives you a Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 and says, "don't worry about damaging it, I don't expect I'll be needing it back, I don't use it much".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

For me it's mostly about documenting my kids childhood through photography.
    Not only for me & them in later life but also for my parents. My parents live in Southern France and like most people who's family live abroad, getting to see them with any frequency is both difficult & costly.

It makes my day when my mum calls me, sometimes she is in floods of (happy) tears after seeing another picture of her grand-kids & all she wants is to be able to hug them both, more often than not she will settle for a 'we love you Nana' & lots of kisses blown down the phone.

I love all of the emotions that can be captured & created, all from a single image :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

Serendipity - Happy accidents. Those shots that you thought would be throw-away, but either worked out much better or get a much better reaction than had been anticipated.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 328 ✭✭thefly

Neopan 400
    7+ fps
    Cash in hand
    Anything from Canon
    Medium format
    Contemporary fine art
    Commercial Photography
    Holgas
    Studios
    lie ins
    Picking up chicks

thefly wrote: »
    Neopan 400
    7+ fps
    Cash in hand
    Anything from Canon
    Medium format
    Contemporary fine art
    Commercial Photography
    Holgas
    Studios
    lie ins
    Picking up chicks

Really? :eek:

vegan_for_animals_chick.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Really? :eek:

vegan_for_animals_chick.jpg

Animal Rights may have something to say about that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Animal Rights may have something to say about that...

As long as it doesn't end up in the green bin !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

People who don't take the whole Nikon V Canon thing too seriously :D

http://vimeo.com/7890134

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭squareballoon

I love meeting the new parents of newborns. I love hearing about the joy, the fear and love they have felt in such large measures over the previous couple of weeks. Being able to make sure they keep the memories of their baby being so small and perfect is fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Emmmm so, if you've heard about my new venture you may guess at what might be mentioned next.....

My Pet love..... is PET PHOTOGRAPHY Ireland Mwuahahahaha

Who wouldn't enjoy taking shots of these lovely furry creatures :)

Seeing a new Gerk82 (boards poster) picture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

The helpful people of the film clique who gave so generously of their time and advice over the last few days as I dipped my toe back into the chemical world again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

humberklog wrote: »
    Seeing a new Gerk82 (boards poster) picture.

very much appreciated humberklog :)

pet loves? 28mm prime + neopan 400 + oliver plunkett street, cork :D

gerk86 wrote: »
    very much appreciated humberklog :)

pet loves? 28mm prime + neopan 400 + oliver plunkett street, cork :D

Woops got the year/name wrong!:). But the right person all the same. I stared at one of your pics for about a half an hour one time! I try to keep it down to 15 minutes these days as any longer is just a bit creepy:pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭NooSixty

The realisation I have actually learnt something

24-70mm & 80-200mm on my D70s

Finally having a hobby I enjoy...

Being a tad naff :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

mod warning
    is this really going to the second thread to be dragged off topic. I hope not. Again people will be taking a holiday for a very long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

learning something new - photography is such a wide and varied topic that I'll never come anywhere close to knowing it all :) I love researching and attempting (to varying degrees of success) different techniques and styles of photography. I can't see myself ever getting bored of it.

Browsing boardsie's flickr/pix.ie for inspiration. I can honestly be lost for hours at a time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

Learning photography has literally allowed me to see the world differently. The point at which the technical aspects of photography become intuitive is the point at which you begin to see.

I remember reading that learning photography was great because you "begin seeing in photographs". I assumed this meant you'd recognise interesting moments about to happen or that it was the same thing as thinking something would make a good photograph; I now know that it really means you develop a heightened visual perception of the world around you.

I love that photography makes and has made me look at things differently, more deeply, and in a way I can express.

In linguistics, it is understood that it is not only difficult to communicate ideas when you don't have a vocabulary to describe them, it's difficult to think about them too. Photography has given me a vocabulary that I can use to think about and describe the visual world.

With this heightened perception and new visual grammar comes a better appreciation for others' visual art. Photography has made me better appreciate painting, sculpture, graphic design, drawing and any other arrangement of form and tone because I can both see and think about them differently.

I was interested in photography because I wanted to photograph things. I now know I should've been interested in photography because I wanted to see.

This is sortof hyperbole, but only just.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I have just removed all the Off Topic posts from this thread. Trishw78 could not do so as she was on her phone.

This has, until recently, been a good positive thread. That was the intention of the OP.

Continuing to hijack threads like this will result in Bans.

If anyone has problems with this then please PM the Mods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

love when the photograph looks better in print, than it does on screen!!!

:)

Fionn wrote: »
    love when the photograph looks better in print, than it does on screen!!!

:)

That is one of the best things alright. Photos really do look so much better printed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement