Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you get hooked?

• 23-08-2010 12:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering how you got addicted?
    I took a few drags from a cigarette and it was enough to put me off smoking for life. I seriously don't think I will ever smoke again. So I'm wondering did you enjoy smoking the first time or what happened?

Just curious!:o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I was out with some mates from work the first time i had a smoke. Down in the pub on a saturday night and decided i wanted a smoke off one the smokers in the group. Had a couple of B&H in the boozer,then it was off to the disco(it was 1993,no late opening pub so it was off to a niteclub if you wanted more beer!) and bought 20 B&H from a vending machine. Spent about 3 months as a 'social' smoker,only buying them when i went out but i ended up smoking 40 a day after that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

lizt wrote: »
    It was shortly after I stopped beating my wife :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Smoked for my LC, as I needed something to de-stress. Didn't smoke for about a year after that. Took up smoking again in college during exams. On and off them since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Had been a very rare social smoker before the leaving cert. Started smoking before the exams during study breaks etc. By about September/October after I was buying cigarettes at least weekly, and by that January I was on 20 a day. Have been since.

It's never an instantaneous thing, just gradually creeps up on you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

I've always tried to go against the crowd to a certain degree, so when a friend gave me a smoke when I was 14 I decided **** it might as well try since everyone was telling me "Don't smoke, it's bad". I liked it, gave me beginners headspin and I was doing something different than everybody so I kept it up.

As said it's not an instant addiction. I started on maybe 2 smokes a week when I was 14 and nowadays I'll be on about 3-4 packs a week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

My GF at the time smoked and I got mad into it! We broke up now and I still smoke the oul Pall Malls!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

I was 19 and going to a certain night club in Cork city. A lot of my buddies smoked and while locked I used to have the odd one on the dance floor.

This increased to having one or two at house party's after the club And then finally to smoking in the pub before going to the club. I still remember walking up the road with two of my buddies after a house party 5am smoking a fag, and both of the lads saying to be carefull with the smoking because I will end up getting hooked. I still have a problem listening to advice.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Fentdog84

Had my first smoke when I was about 11. I was always curious about smoking so one day I nicked one out of my dad's box. I can remember nearly choking because I couldnt inhale properly. I was probably hooked and smoking daily at 14/15.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Your use of words like addicted and hooked kinda grate against the ethic of the forum. We choose to smoke.

My first smokes were at a very tender age - 8 or 9. We would hang out by the bus-stop and as passengers got on they would often disgard half ciggies with a casual flick of the fingers.
    When eventualy I'd scrape together enough I'd buy two loose Major from "the van" in Finglas and then I'd cycle over to Ballymun to smoke them in case anyone I knew would see me and tell me ma.
    Remember the spinnies, the dizzy spell you get on your first few ciggies? I had my spinnies while sitting with my legs dangling over the roof edge of one of the Ballymun towers.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

It started by taking butt off a cigarrette at a session..
    Then taking a full ciggie at a session...
    Then taking a few ciggies at a session..
    Then going halves on a box with your friend at a session...
    Then buying your own box for the session...
    Then buying your own box the weekend...
    Then buying a box for the weekend and another one for during the week..
    Then you ask yourself... jesus, have I started smoking?

And once it became possible to buy 50 gram pouches of drum down the apple market for a tenner, it became impossible to stop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

OldGoat wrote: »
    When eventualy I'd scrape together enough I'd buy two loose Major from "the van" in Finglas .

Was this soon to be known as "The Cabin" lol? Used to spend my lunch money on "looseys".

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭nessy382

I was 7 at the time i start smoking im now 20 and it was actually my brother who got me smoking he was 8 at the time. i caught him and my other brother down stairs having a smoke and i was going to tell on dem haha and to stop me telling they said take a drag so that i couldn't say anything and thats how i start smoking ha.. sorry i ever touched them im actually trying the champix now to try and give them up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

nessy382 wrote: »
    sorry i ever touched them im actually trying the champix now to try and give them up.
    If you are trying to stop smoking then I suggest you try using the Giving up Smoking forum.
    If you read the charter of this forum you'll find that we are all smokers who enjoy smoking.

Good luck with your quitting atempt. Strength of will is the best (and cheapest) method. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭petebricquette

I only turned pro about a year ago. I was working in a place for a year where the rest of my co-workers would go for fairly regular smoke breaks so I decided to join in. I had been smoking socially before that and I'd always enjoyed smoking with my friends. Now I smoke rollies and a pipe. Haven't looked back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Can't remember how but I started when I was 7,just the occasional butt I'm sure,wasn't long though I was chipping in to buy loosers and then richmond,they were the cheapest,about 17p for ten. I suppose I would have been a teenage before I started full time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭ilovejames

When i was about 11 or 12 my older cousin who smoked, made me inhale on a cigarette so that i couldn't rat her out. Then curiosity took over and i started stealing the parents smokes.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Plumpynutt

started during the LC. started by scabbing off my mates, then moving onto buying a pack for the week, until it would be a pack every day or two days, until I couldn't afford that, and switched to rolling tobacco, which I now prefer to smokes- the taste, the smell, the price.

Plus I tend to smoke less when I have baccy rather than real smokes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Schizophrenic, though didn't know it at the time, started smoking at 18 and felt calmer and better for it. Didn't realise or cop on to it reducing the symptoms until many years later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭magztar

Started to be cool in front of friends :( Had my first cigarette good friday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

OldGoat wrote: »
    My first smokes were at a very tender age - 8 or 9. We would hang out by the bus-stop and as passengers got on they would often disgard half ciggies with a casual flick of the fingers.

lol reminds me of the sign in toilets about not to put cigarettes in.... it makes them hard to light after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Barrt2

i started because i was getting served for people at shop outside school,
    i was 15 and looked 18 so one day i saved up and got myself 20B&h and havent looked back nor regretted it.

however the shop workers most think i'm 20 21 at this stage:L they asked was i LC one of the first times i was like yeah just turned 18.. worked like a charm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,789 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

How old are you now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

lizt wrote: »
    I took a few drags from a cigarette and it was enough to put me off smoking for life. I seriously don't think I will ever smoke again. So I'm wondering did you enjoy smoking the first time or what happened?

Just curious!:o
    I'm smoking since I was 13 I'm now 47 and I got hooked after smoking for a few years on and off. I enjoy my smokes and can't stand anyone telling me to give them up and that they are bad for me. I know they are bad but I enjoy them too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

a really stupid one - was always anti smoking. then i split up with a boyfriend when i was about 20 or so (he dumped me). he really hated smoking and my friend tought that if i smoked it'd be a great way to annoy him. i'm now 36 and in the process of quitting for the millionth time.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭petebricquette

EDIT: Sorry lads and ladies, I just realised I've already posted here. My bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

A girl I went out with in my final year of school smoked so I took it up as a way to spend time with her between classes.
    The girl is now long gone but the smokes have stayed.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Stocking Drinks Whiskey

I started by taking a few drags off of my friends when they were smoking, wasn't pressured into it or anything, just curious.

It built up from there, eventually I started taking full cigarettes of them, eventually started buying them and then the rate I smoked them at increased and increased.

So, here I am now, smoking roughly a pack a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭username_x

I went from completely non smoker to full time 20 a day in less than a year. Its just one of those things I guess, I'm in the same boat as another poster, I also hate people nagging me. I can read the health warnings on the boxes, I'm not an idiot, I know they're bad for me, I just don't want to give them up!

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭allydylan

i'm not quite hooked yet, but if i do get hooked it was be because the majority of my friends smoke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,789 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

This thread is taking on too much of a negative slant. I think that's enough.

tHB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement