Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FINAL Munster Super League Session (28/8/10) & CONSTRUCTIVE Criticism

Options
  • 23-08-2010 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭

Time for the final session of Season 1 of the Munster Super League (or fondly known as the 'Glacial League' :) ). Hopefully we can get a good turnout and end the season in style. Also thinking food at somewhere like Texas SteakHouse after...

Game: Super Street Fighter 4

Date: Saturday August 28th

Time: 13:00 GMT

Venue: Moviedrome, Limerick (Map)

Fee: €8

Prize: Bragging rights from session, €2 goes into prize fund for end of season, €1 goes into travel fund for end of season (train ticket to Dublin for finals / Inferno (12)).

Added Prize Info: Currently €64 in the prize fund and €32 in travel fund.

Points Format:
    Attendance - 1 point
    Win (groups / league) - 2 points
    1st - 10 points
    2nd - 8 points
    3rd - 6 points
    4th - 4 points
    5-8th - 2 points

Format (dependent on numbers):
    Groups >> Double Elimination bracket
    OR
    Straightforward league

Leaderboard after Session 5:
    Matt - 55 points
    D4RK ONION - 44 points
    Robbknoll - 42 points
    FutureGuy - 38 points
    Sairus - 36 points
    Sabre0001 - 36 points
    Burning Eclipse - 30 points
    Generic_name - 24 points
    DooM - 21 points
    Orim - 17 points
    Luke - 14 points
    Mr. K - 12 points
    Vaughn - 11 points
    Chopperbyrne - 7 points
    Sean - 3 points

And onto the final issue of the thread; feedback for Season 2. Only one way to make it better and that's to make changes where necessary. Of course, not every change can be tailored for (potentially) but it's good to know what the various viewpoints are.

My thoughts:
    Start new season in October (not too long a break, not too short (I hope) and college is back so might get some fresh blood!)
    Incentive for people to come to sessions - Going to pick up something (small) and do a lottery - If you attend a session, you get one ticket. Max of 6. Everyone has a chance of winning that small something...but if you go more you have a better chance.
    Points - Change from 2 per Match won to 1 per game won - at least if you are the underdog but you make a match go to three games, you get consolation even if you lose.

Let's get the ball rolling and look forward to Session 6!

🤪

Will YOU be there? 11 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    45%
    A-TrakSabre0001Burning EclipseFutureGuyD4RK ONION 5 votes
    Maybe so
    54%
    RyMr. KUberPrinny_BaalSairusVoaGeneric_name01 6 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

No
    It is on! I'll have to pull out some amazing shit to overtake you Sabre. But damn it I'll try!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I'm not so sure about the points system at all. It rewards people who win big tournaments over people who win small ones, regardless of the quality of play. However. if the overall goal is to get new people interested, I see where you're coming from.

It's not your fault but there's been alot on recently, it's been hurting the chances to get people like me or chopper (who go to everything they can) down to you.

I think it could be very beneficial to get some higher level players down to you at some point to help you learn a few things.

It seems to me that the local relative "big hitters" are onion, future guy and araforn, maybe you could try and find a date when all three could come down.

Then make an effort to produce some nice standardised videos to show off for a little and tag the videos with MUNSTER STREET FIGHTER LIMERICK IRELAND etc to attract new people. I got knocked out at DBNI by someone who found Irish SF through my YT videos.

Thanks, man.

These aren't really criticisms, more food for thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

No
    The points system is a tricky thing to balance - would like to keep a league going as it's nice to have the ultimate prize of trip to Inferno at the end. Looks like I could be stealing Burning Eclipse's suggestion where a league table is drawn up with all interested candidates and a fixture list is made...But you can play your fixtures at any session you attend within the six match weeks. Otherwise, people get to play casuals or spec the matches.

There HAS been a lot on :) But who's complaining. It is unfortunate that it limits the competition available to us. Perhaps the above method would work better (I hope ye are ready for marathon sessions of....competitive (?) games).

Promo vids would be nice. It's good to get some of the games recorded - must get that more too!

The only problem with the system outlined in Point 1 is 'what if there are games left unfinished' - would people play them online? Why would people bother coming to events in the situation that they can do a season online?

🤪

Sabre0001 wrote: »

The only problem with the system outlined in Point 1 is 'what if there are games left unfinished' - would people play them online? Why would people bother coming to events in the situation that they can do a season online?

Because NO ONE wants to play competetively online.

There's been a few threads about people trying to start up an online league and it just falls flat on it's face. In some cases people came accross as outirght dismissive.

My connection is relatively good but all it takes is a housemate watching a film online and we're in a spiking situation.

No
    Played your housemate recently but unfortunately it was my connection that fell apart :( Would the above "standard" league over the course of the six weeks be of interest to you (and other Dublin-ites)?

I realise you can only speak for yourself :)

🤪

• Advertisement

Personally, and I do only speak for myself, I like the thrill of feeling yourself clawing up towards a final, so I prefer tournament to league. But that's literally just me.

No
    I like the idea of a league for a lot of reasons. Our table above reflects the levels of skill in Limerick somewhat, but as Doom pointed out, favours those who win big tournaments, and those who can make it every week.

The downside to a league is that it never has the levels of hype associated with a tournament. It becomes about maths in some instances, working out who can win x/y/z. Perhaps a hybrid of some description. A league, with the top 4 players entering into a playoff? I don't know, but it's something to think about!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

Maybe so
    Personally, and I do only speak for myself, I like the thrill of feeling yourself clawing up towards a final, so I prefer tournament to league. But that's literally just me.
    Don't forget the vicious joy of getting your rematch against the guy who put you into losers bracket in double elims.

Voa wrote: »
    Don't forget the vicious joy of getting your rematch against the guy who put you into losers bracket in double elims.

I find I always play better the second time in that situation because I am all "not like this... not like this"...

Yeah tournaments are way more hype? than leagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

A league can be be as exciting as a tournament, although it needs time to build. I mean look at the current league. Depending on attendance you have 3 people who could win it and 3 people who could win depending on other results. That makes for a pretty exciting final session especially if that top six can make it down.

This also kinda of goes against the idea if people playing all their matches on one day. There is no hype if you don't have the table building over time. I'll try to make it down on Saturday and it would suck if I played a load of catch up games and took the league. It would kinda defeat the build-up which I mentioned above.

Personnally I would scrap the points for a win. Maybe increase the points for winning a session but due to the fluctuating attendance I think having the points for matches/games won doesn't work.

• Advertisement

No
    Damn...No generic (name that is...) 'gief!

Pros and Cons to each format I suppose. For example, if a (more traditional) league format was used, it's harder to get additional players involved as the season progresses. Traditional tournaments can mean a lack of games for poorer players. Current format rewards attendance moreso...and lower players are hit with the double whammy whereby players get points for placement and wins.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm...

🤪

@ Onion : Are you going to be at this? If possible could you bring and give me a loan of a game with the input test system on it?

I want to head down. Anybody else up for a trip down to the sticks?

I might be able to come down, the OM NOM NOM CON tournament is on the Sunday.

No
    Orim wrote: »

If you guys come down it would really shake things up for the final of the league... think of the hype! As a gesture of good faith, I'll buy you both a pint afterwards.*

*offer only valid for quoted posters

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Don't tell me you're going to that to embarrass me further? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Maybe so

Oy, I thought I had exclusive rights to swoop in on non-boards run SF tourneys?

Sairus wrote: »
    Oy, I thought I had exclusive rights to swoop in on non-boards run SF tourneys?

noob, I've been routing out weird and wonderful tournaments long as the forums been here :D

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

No
    @ Onion : Are you going to be at this? If possible could you bring and give me a loan of a game with the input test system on it?

SF is on Sunday though, right? That's what Hotaru confirmed to me anyway.

Orim, yeah that's no problem, I'll give you Beatles: RB :)

Yeah SF is on the Sunday.

Cheers for the loaner dude. I'll try get it back to asap. Also I'll bring down your Super.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Wasn't going to go to this, but then I noticed the mention of a Texas Steakhouse.

Just how quickly can we wrap up the Street Fightering and get to the steak eating?

• Advertisement

We can only get burgers in the Steakhouse though. :pac:

No
    Yeah SF is on the Sunday.

Cheers for the loaner dude. I'll try get it back to asap. Also I'll bring down your Super.

Grand job man, I'll be giving that copy to Hotaru. Now all she needs is an xbox :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

No
    Very likely I'll be picking up a car-part near Limerick next weekend as the ****ers didn't have it ready for me this afternoon.

If so I'd be up for this and would be able to give lifts if folks were willing to pony up the equivalent of bus fair/petrol money? (Whichever is cheapest.)

A-Trak wrote: »
    Very likely I'll be picking up a car-part near Limerick next weekend as the ****ers didn't have it ready for me this afternoon.

If so I'd be up for this and would be able to give lifts if folks were willing to pony up the equivalent of bus fair/petrol money? (Whichever is cheapest.)

You're talking my language.

also it'd be nice to get a 1-2-3 for Dublin, Chopper let us (and himself) down last time.

No
    This just in, some random Anime & Manga forum mod will be in attendance. DooM your training can begin on my home turf :D

No
    The momentum... can you feel it?

GET HYPE!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    This just in, some random Anime & Manga forum mod will be in attendance. DooM your training can begin on my home turf :D

>.>

I'm expecting great things people! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Robbknoll

Ill be at this but think im busy for the grub, altho id sell my mother for some TSH. Hope the dubs can actually make it down so as theres a bit of bite to the final of this league too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

No
    I'll be there although I'm rediculously rusty.

• Advertisement

No
    Things are taking shape nicely! Hopefully Matt will be along as well to defend his position at the top. The Dublin crew coming down would be a welcome addition and a chance for us hicks to learn a thing or two :p

🤪

Advertisement