Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you wear a jersey...

• 23-08-2010 1:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭

...of the English club you support if it had a St.George flag on the jersey?

Seen that Turkish teams (well at least some do) have the Turkish flag on the front, same with some Italian teams and a few Irish clubs have a tri-colour on the back, so the question is would you wear a Man Utd, Liverpool, etc... jersey if it had a St.George on it?

Asked 3 of my mates who I was out with last night, 2 said no even one saying he's a hypocrite, and the other say he probably wouldn't, just found it interesting how a little flag makes that much of a difference to them.

Would you wear a jersey with a St.George on it? 104 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    35% 37 votes
    Wouldn't bother me
    64% 67 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Wouldn't bother me in the slightest

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

For people saying No I'd be interested in why not if anyone has an opinion on it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Yes I would, having an English flag on the jersey doesnt bother me in the slightest but the thing is that you will always meet some absolute gobshíte who will take offence to the fact the flag will be on the jersey.

On a side note I lived in London for a few years and I acquired an English jersey at one point, made the mistake of wearing said jersey one day up the town, I got abuse, not banter, ABUSE... the jersey got donated to a local charity shop soon after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭blindpilot

The Middlesbrough jersey has had little tags on the side with the cross on it over the last six or seven seasons. Never bothered me at all. But it certainly did get to some people. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

No way. I'd tippex it out like the Union Jack on me Reebok Classics bud.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Xavi6 wrote: »

Sad thing is I've seen that done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It wouldn't bother me personally. I don't see it happening for Liverpool or United jerseys any time soon though. Might see the stars and stripes possibly. :pac:

So to the 4 people who voted "No", care to explain your logic?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

wouldnt care. thats the country they play in. nothing wrong with england

isnt yes the same answer as 'wouldnt bother me'. bit of a flawed poll

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

blindpilot wrote: »
    The Middlesbrough jersey has had little tags on the side with the cross on it over the last six or seven seasons. Never bothered me at all. But it certainly did get to some people. :rolleyes:

Really :eek:

I know their was a time in Ireland that you would never see an English flags on hotels, now they are everywhere, particularly during the six nations and you now see them all year round.

I can't see how a person would have a problem with a small St Georges Cross on their teams top when they are supporting an English team, in fact if they did I would be worried about the tap water in the area they are living in imo

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

I would, no bothers. I support an English club and if they had their national crest on it then it wouldn't bother me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Can also ask, would you wear an AC Milan jersey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Why not? St. George wasn't English. It's the flag used by England but it's not England's flag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Le King wrote: »
    Why not? St. George wasn't English. It's the flag used by England but it's not England's flag.

eh? whats Englands flag then??:confused:

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I've owned Italy, Holland, Brazil, USA and Mexico jerseys and wore them no problem along with ROI and Blackburn Rovers jerseys so it wouldn't bother me. And anybody who had a problem with it would just get slagged to death for having a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭craggles

Teams like Arsenal having the flag on their shirt would be hilarious since they have next to no English players anyway

eagle eye wrote: »
    I've owned Italy, Holland, Brazil, USA and Mexico jerseys and wore them no problem along with ROI and Blackburn Rovers jerseys so it wouldn't bother me. And anybody who had a problem with it would just get slagged to death for having a problem.

With all due respect, so? We're talking about wearing a jersey with the English flag on it in Ireland, it's like wearing a USA shirt in Vietnam, you may as well have a target painted on you.

craggles wrote: »
    Teams like Arsenal having the flag on their shirt would be hilarious since they have next to no English players anyway

Not really, we are an English club.

And besides it was not very long ago that our whole squad was English

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I had no bother in wearing a keyring of this flag Derry with it on my desk in work on my car keys

440px-Flag_of_Montreal.svg.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

I had no bother in wearing a keyring of this flag Derry with it on my desk in work on my car keys

440px-Flag_of_Montreal.svg.png

F**k that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I also have had 2 Barca tops

craggles wrote: »

Not really, they're from London, so they're an English team regardless of the players.:rolleyes:

I also have had 2 Barca tops

People not grasping the point of this thread. ENGLISH flag... ENGLISH. It doesnt matter if you have a jersey from the Romanian third division mate. The key word here is ENGLISH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

FearDark wrote: »
    People not grasping the point of this thread. ENGLISH flag... ENGLISH. It doesnt matter if you have a jersey from the Romanian third division mate. The key word here is ENGLISH.

200px-FCB.svg.png

I think he's talking about the English flag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

I don't really wear football jerseys but i wouldn't wear one if it had the English flag on it. More to do with the **** i'd get in the pub than any nationalistic (if that's a word!) reason though.

I think the OP is on about one of these patches, I'm well aware there is an English connection to the club crests of AC Milan, Barcelona etc...

I mean it's not as if they own St. George's cross. But it's very identifiable as an adopted symbol of England.

Barcelona is also a club named after arse's. Which is also an English reference...

So what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Barca have an George's Cross.

Also, if you support an English team but would have a problem wearing the George's Cross, you're a f*cking idiot and your opinion doesn't matter to anyone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Then why ask people's opinion, why not just have a pool with yes or wouldn't bother me, don't be stupid everyone has the right to their opinion whether you think its right or wrong,

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Then why ask people's opinion, why not just have a pool with yes or wouldn't bother me, don't be stupid everyone has the right to their opinion whether you think its right or wrong,

Yeah, but some people's opinions aren't worth listening to! Don't you realise that?

Someone will support an Englush team, pay money to watch their games, pay money to buy a shirt so they can wear their symbol on their chest. But they have a problem wearing the George's Cross due to, presumably, spme sprt of out-dated Republican ideology?

Pffft!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

I'd have no problem at all, but I can understand why some people would not wear it because they didn't want the hassle. I always have someone who doesn't even know me comment when I wear my Inter centenary away jersey because they think it is English, the irony of it is that the same people who comment on it will probably go and wear a jersey from an English club.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQwyZ714kj4qWnS973ERpE_8EmasAN8nWAo8iyN49Er60SMcuY&t=1&usg=__vrhejlpL1Ajx6BntOl8iLmy7xlQ=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

I said no. I wouldn't wear a jersey/tshirt/anything with any national flag on it. Just not my style

that's it. No 800 years or anything. J

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

I've worn plenty of Milan jerseys with the george's cross on it. Its part of the crest not a problem at all.

Personally its not the georges cross that I've a problem with its the union jack that I wouldn't wear.

• Advertisement

iregk wrote: »
    I've worn plenty of Milan jerseys with the george's cross on it. Its part of the crest not a problem at all.

Personally its not the georges cross that I've a problem with its the union jack that I wouldn't wear.

Why not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I rarely wear jerseys these days anyway, so I doubt very much that I'd wear one with St George's cross on it. Of course it really depends on how big it is. I wouldn't wear that Inter jersey or an England jersey for that matter, but I had no problem wearing Reebok Classics back in the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Wouldn't bother me. Its time to move on.

If it did bother me, I would support an Airtricity league club primarily, rather than as a "second" team, or not at all.

Although, with the chants of "World champions twice, world champions twice, once more than England, world champions twice," "You can stick your f*cking England up your arse" and "We all agree, United are better than England" at Craven Cottage yesterday....

I doubt we'll be seeing a St. Georges flag on the United jersey any time soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

i would have no issue wearing it except the fact some knacker may take offence to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

No i wouldn't, cos i'm mad IRA and love bobby sands.

op is this the answer you we're craving ?

• Advertisement

i would have no issue wearing it except the fact some knacker may take offence to it.

I bet if you asked said knacker, they wouldnt have a clue why!

They'd probably say "have ye not seen The Wind That Shakes The bleedin Barley?"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

SDTimeout wrote: »
    No i wouldn't, cos i'm mad IRA and love bobby sands.

op is this the answer you we're craving ?

nah he wants more of a "omg your right. we are all giant hypocrits who dont know how to support football properly"

its the time of year for it. expect guest appearances by other members of the gestapo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Xavi6 wrote: »

and colour in a tricolour instead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Don't and never will support an English club. So it's a no for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I'd have no problem with it at all; I think England is a grand country, and I've never had any hassle over there at all. In fact, when I tell lads where I'm from and that I'm over for the match, I usually get my hand shaken and something along the lines of "Man, that is dedication!!!".

If Chelsea ever put a George's Cross or a Union Jack (also note: in the Union Jack flag, there is an Irish, St. Patrick's Flag in there) on a jersey, I'd have no problem wearing it.

But it is sad the amount of eejits that do get overwrought about these things; I once got incredible abuse for wearing a Def Leppard baseball cap, to a Def Leppard gig in the o2.......... because the cap had a tiny Union Jack on the side of it. I mean, wtf?!?! The Lepps are an English band, they've every right to be proud to be British, I'm a Leppard fan, why shouldn't I wear the merch if I want to??? Grow up, seriously...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

No bother could end up in London anyway so no bother at all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I really don't know, tbh.
    I'd be a hypocrite in two ways - the abuse I've thrown towards English things in my younger days(not towards people, just drunken tirades with a few friends) and advocating the burning of a Union Jack(wasn't there meself, just thought it was well cool at the time:rolleyes:) - so I'd be a hypocrite for wearing the flag of a country that I've hated. I have grown up since then, btw - but it's hard not to dislike them.:P

I'd also be a hypocrite for not wearing it because United are an English club, and I love them.

Don't think I'll ever have to make the decision, though, because the clubs are smart enough to know that some of their customers from Ireland won't buy jerseys with the St. George's flag on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Why not?

Because I don't like it. Don't think it looks that nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bigwormbundoran

AC and Inter do not have a St George cross on them, no matter how many people think otherwise, it is the flag of Milan, just to nip that one in the bud, fair enough they are identical but still tisnt an english flag

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

You would never get a St.George cross on a Liverpool jersey so no need to worry about it if you are a Liverpool fan.I don't wear them anyway so don't care.

• Advertisement
Advertisement