Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you wear a jersey...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Dub13 wrote: »
    You would never get a St.George cross on a Liverpool jersey so no need to worry about it if you are a Liverpool fan.I don't wear them anyway so don't care.

This but change it to United.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

I wouldn't wear it, and strangely im lost for reasons why. I stopped buying reebok clothing when they started putting union jacks on it, and id do the same should a st georges cross be put on a united shirt. Maybe you can put it down to nationalism maybe you can look down on me for supporting an english club, but at the end of the day I support united for the way they play football, not because of where theyre from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭blindpilot

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Really :eek:

I know their was a time in Ireland that you would never see an English flags on hotels, now they are everywhere, particularly during the six nations and you now see them all year round.

I can't see how a person would have a problem with a small St Georges Cross on their teams top when they are supporting an English team, in fact if they did I would be worried about the tap water in the area they are living in imo

Many times I've been told to cut it off, etc. Ridiculous really as people who used to say it have their own teams jerseys too, United, Liverpool, Villa. In their eyes it ok to wear your English teams jersey so long as it doesnt have any cross on it. Time to grow up and move on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I do not think I would wear a jersey with St george flag on it. I suppose I relate it to supporting engerland as distinct to supporting an english club - there in lies the difference for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

curry-muff wrote: »
    I wouldn't wear it, and strangely im lost for reasons why. I stopped buying reebok clothing when they started putting union jacks on it, and id do the same should a st georges cross be put on a united shirt. Maybe you can put it down to nationalism maybe you can look down on me for supporting an english club, but at the end of the day I support united for the way they play football, not because of where theyre from.

So when Alex Ferguson is replaced and a new manager comes in, if he totally changes the style of play and just for example they adapt the old wimbledon/jack charlton style, you would stop supporting them??? What a very odd reson for suporting a club. Bizzarre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

It wouldn't bother me really, but if the jersey was just white with a red cross on it like the Inter jersey posted above, I wouldn't wear as I don't think that looks nice.If it's something like the Barcelona crest or something I wouldn't really care.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

So when Alex Ferguson is replaced and a new manager comes in, if he totally changes the style of play and just for example they adapt the old wimbledon/jack charlton style, you would stop supporting them??? What a very odd reson for suporting a club. Bizzarre.

Probably a bad choice of wording, suppose it should say I began to support united because of the way they play football

And hows that a terrible reason to pick a team to support :confused:

And Ive said before, hiring the likes of mourinho would be a stab in the heart for me as a united fan, after 25 years of wonderful football from United Id have to put up with his somewhat less exciting approach. But obviously I wouldnt stop supporting them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

i dont think it would bother me at all tbh id probaley forget aabout it being on the jersy. the reson i dont wear united jerseys these days because most of them look crap so a little flag would not bother me

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I also wouldn't wear some Reebok runners as they have the Union Jack on them - but I suppose that is a bot different - isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I wore Rebook classic's and never went near the union jacks on them with tipex or anything. Why bother, I chose to buy them and it would be the same if Forest were to put an English flag anywhere on the jersey. I only wear the jersey if I go to the pub to watch or game or around the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

SDTimeout wrote: »
    No i wouldn't, cos i'm mad IRA and love bobby sands.

op is this the answer you we're craving ?

No it's not really the answer tbh, it was a genuine question. What a FAIL of a reply tbh.
    FearDark wrote: »
    I think the OP is on about one of these patches, I'm well aware there is an English connection to the club crests of AC Milan, Barcelona etc...

Ye I'm talking about those patches, not the St.George in the crest, like the Inter Milan jersey with the Italian flag in the middle of it, but instead it being a St.George flag in the middle of a Man Utd, Liverpool, etc... jersey.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

No it's not really the answer tbh, it was a genuine question. What a FAIL of a reply tbh.

Ye I'm talking about those patches, not the St.George in the crest, like the Inter Milan jersey with the Italian flag in the middle of it, but instead it being a St.George flag in the middle of a Man Utd, Liverpool, etc... jersey.
    I'd wear the jersey if he had something like this on the sleeve. Wouldn't bother me.

coventry-city-09-10-puma-third-shirt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭HyperSkypeWiper

If its a flag on the arm/crest then I don't care.
    But I wouldn't wear an England jersey.

Its a more than adequate answer. Maybe not you, but a lot of people just want to flame anyone ,who gives any kind of sign that they wouldn't wear a shirt with an English flag on it, with a smart-arse one word answer. If they dont want to wear a shirt with an English flag, its their own business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Buying a jersey is supporting your club through revenue received, but wearing it doesn't do anything. So, in that regard, I'm a hell of a lot more likely to wear an England jersey than any other football jersey out there, because it's one of the nicest.

But I don't buy football jerseys anyway, they're horrible. Outside of a kickabout or the gym, jerseys look ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

To those who won't buy a jersey with a flag ( for reasons of disliking english ) but will buy one without a flag, HA!.

You're stimulating their economy so you're helping " THEM " either way :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

SDTimeout wrote: »
    To those who won't buy a jersey with a flag ( for reasons of disliking english ) but will buy one without a flag, HA!.

You're stimulating their economy so you're helping " THEM " either way :pac:

I'd highly doubt that your average Irish PL supporter would care about whether they boost the English economy or not.

I would merely because of the reason I'm not a backward G.A.A lovin' bogger who still resents what the English did in times which they weren't even born in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

kind of like your poll that doesnt make sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I would merely because of the reason I'm not a backward G.A.A lovin' bogger who still resents what the English did in times which they weren't even born in.

Jaysus, you're cool.

baz2009 wrote: »
    Jaysus, you're cool.

I know, right!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I definitely wouldn't wear an england jersey or english club jersey.

But a top with a tiny st georges cross the size of the union jack on the old reeboks? Wouldn't bother me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Like the forward, modern thinking Irish Celtic fan singing rebel songs in Celtic Park, Irish fans booing players that have played for Rangers (or not in some cases) or the England fans singing about German Bombers...yes it's GAA lovin' boggers who are the real biggots :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Like the forward, modern thinking Irish Celtic fan singing rebel songs in Celtic Park, Irish fans booing players that have played for Rangers (or not in some cases) or the England fans singing about German Bombers...yes it's GAA lovin' boggers who are the real biggots :rolleyes:

This is a ridiculous post!

So, beause he says GAA fans are biggots, you thnk that he disqualifies everyone else from being a biggot? Don't be silly.

Those people you speak of are biggots also!

MrStuffins wrote: »
    This is a ridiculous post!

So, beause he says GAA fans are biggots, you thnk that he disqualifies everyone else from being a biggot? Don't be silly.

Those people you speak of are biggots also!

The post i was referring to was a ridiculous post.

What makes him think that GAA fans are "backward ", "boggers" or even "biggots"?

And why even bring the GAA into things in the first place...

The post i was referring to was a ridiculous post.

What makes him think that GAA fans are "backward ", "boggers" or even "biggots"?

And why even bring the GAA into things in the first place...

I think he was suggesting that that kind of person exists. Which it certainly does.

I know many people like the one he describes. One in particular who jumps to the top of my head is my mate's father. A big GAA fan (who is from somewhere outside Dublin, perhaps a "bogger"?), with the point of view that Michael Collins is a hero, yet the 6 counties should be united with the rest. That the IRA are justified in killing innocent women and children just becasue they can't get over this "persecution" that they have only read about in books.

This guy is also so defensive of "his country" that he thinks all Africans are Nigerian and they're all "N*ggers invading our country".

Sounds pretty backward and biggoted to me. And he's not the only one, he's just the example.

if you don't think these people exist you need to take your head out of the sand!

And let's face it, we all know what this thread is about and why MOST of the people who wouldnt wear the George's Cross wouldn't. I really doubt some of them would be so aprehensive to wear a Finnish flag on a jersey or a Canadian flag.

This guy is also so defensive of "his country" that he thinks all Africans are Nigerian and they're all "N*ggers invading our country".

Sounds pretty backward and biggoted to me. And he's not the only one, he's just the example.

You find them people in every walk of life...don't make it sound like its just people who follow GAA.

You find them people in every walk of life...don't make it sound like its just people who follow GAA.

I missed the part where he said all GAA fans were the same. Could you show me?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

baz2009 wrote: »
    I really don't know, tbh.

Don't think I'll ever have to make the decision, though, because the clubs are smart enough to know that some of their customers from Ireland won't buy jerseys with the St. George's flag on it.

I'm sure that when they are designing a jersey the Irish market is paramount to their design

I'm sure that when they are designing a jersey the Irish market is paramount to their design

One team attempted it...........

SunderlandHSS0708.gif

One team attempted it...........

SunderlandHSS0708.gif

Don't see how, did they not sponsor the club at some stage?

My point was do you really think Arsenal are going to say, oh we better not put the St Georges Cross on our jersey because a tiny proportion of Irish people might not like it, if thats the case they are not Arsenal supporters imo and as I said earlier their must be something in their water.

Actually the poll is a bit flawed, should really have been if you support a premiership club would you still wear the jersey if it had a st georges cross

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Pure_Cork

Rebel songs are a part of our culture, our heritage. Why should people who sing them be labelled as bigots? Why should football fans who sing songs to wind up the opposition be labelled as bigots?

Pure_Cork wrote: »
    That's actually a valid viewpoint.

Thank you for proving my point :rolleyes:
    Rebel songs are a part of our culture, our heritage. Why should people who sing them be labelled as bigots?

"our" culture?

The reason they are bigots is because they go to Britain and sing them. They think they're Mr.Republican and have a season ticket at a British soccer club. It's time for our old friend.................

27179_10150092976550702_568895701_11304415_5895535_n.jpg

Don't see how, did they not sponsor the club at some stage?

Mt point do you really think Arsenal are going to say, oh we better not put the St Georges Cross on our jersey because a tiny proportion of Irish people might not like it, if thats the case they are not Arsenal supporters imo and as I said earlier their must be something in their water.

Actually the poll is a bit flawed, should really have been if you support a premiership club would you still wear the jersey if it had a st georges cross

I agree though, they shouldnt take Ireland into consideration!

And of course the poll is flawed, it should be "do you have some sort of unfounded hatred for the English?"

Because, as i said, most of the people who have said they would have a problem would have no problem wearing the Canadian flag somewhere on a jersey!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

theres archived footage of the kings visit to cork in the early 20th century in which Union Jacks are being waved out windows down the street and so forth :)
    i know what you learned in school might have made it sound different but things werent all that bad under british rule. whats that old credage, history is written by the victors?

oh and would a mod be able to combine the Yes answers in the poll with the Wouldnt Mind answers or is that possible? unsure if it can be done on vbulletin

I agree though, they shouldnt take Ireland into consideration!

And of course the poll is flawed, it should be "do you have some sort of unfounded hatred for the English?"

Because, as i said, most of the people who have said they would have a problem would have no problem wearing the Canadian flag somewhere on a jersey!

I would think most people that support an English team here would not have a problem with it or I would certainly hope that this would be the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Yes. Could'nt care less.

Thank you for proving my point :rolleyes:
    It's bigoted to think that it's good for Irish people to govern ourselves, for British forces to withdraw from most of Ireland, while hoping for a united island of Ireland?

"our" culture?
    Yes. Our culture. Irish culture.

The reason they are bigots is because they go to Britain and sing them. They think they're Mr.Republican and have a season ticket at a British soccer club.
    So it's only Celtic fans who sings rebel songs who are bigoted? I wish all Irish Celtic fans supported the game here too, a good few do though, not all, and like it or not Celtic FC does have Irish roots. I know someone who has a season ticket at Parkhead, he also attends local LoI matches, brings his kids too. Is he a bigot or not?

It's time for our old friend.................
    No need to post him. I suppose all Irish Celtic fans are like him.

Jazzy wrote: »
    theres archived footage of the kings visit to cork in the early 20th century in which Union Jacks are being waved out windows down the street and so forth :)
    i know what you learned in school might have made it sound different but things werent all that bad under british rule. whats that old credage, history is written by the victors?

I know that.

It's bigoted to think that it's good for Irish people to govern ourselves, for British forces to withdraw from most of Ireland, while hoping for a united island of Ireland?

We do govern ourselves. But this isn't the place for the discussion. Your ourdated thinking is perhaps more suited to another forum!

Yes. Our culture. Irish culture.
    You say "our". We were talking about supporters of a football club in a different country

So it's only Celtic fans who sings rebel songs who are bigoted......
    haha, again, people invent generalisations. But these people do exist.

Where did anyone say it was ONLY Celtic fans who did this? :rolleyes:
    No need to post him. I suppose all Irish Celtic fans are like him.
    I didnt say that. But i know these people exist!

Perhaps you would like to invent more generalisations to back up your argument?

• Advertisement

We do govern ourselves. But this isn't the place for the discussion. Your ourdated thinking is perhaps more suited to another forum!
    Don't avoid the question, is it bigoted to think that it's good for Irish people to govern ourselves, for British forces to have withdrawn from most of Ireland, while hoping for a united island of Ireland? Yes, we do govern ourselves, welcome to Ireland.

You say "our". We were talking about supporters of a football club in a different country
    We are talking about Irish people who support a club in a different country which has Irish roots. We, Our, Us.

haha, again, people invent generalisations. But these people do exist.

Where did anyone say it was ONLY Celtic fans who did this? :rolleyes:
    I was originally talking about Irish people (Celtic fans or not) who sing rebel songs. You said that they were bigoted because they went to Britain to sing rebel songs, focussing in on Celtic fans. Wires crossed. As I said, I wish all Irish Celtic fans supported the game here too, a good few do though, not all, and like it or not Celtic FC does have Irish roots. Is someone who has a season ticket at Parkhead, who also attends local LoI matches, a bigot or not? He may or may not sing rebel songs, I don't know.

I didnt say that. But i know these people exist!

Perhaps you would like to invent more generalisations to back up your argument?
    It really did seem like you were generalising when you were talking about those people who go to Britain and sing rebel songs and posted that pic. I didn't invent any generalisations. So it's only some Irish Celtic fans, not all?

So are people who sing rebel songs bigots or not?

So are people who sing rebel songs bigots or not?

You invented this issue. Perhaps you are trying to put words into my mouth? I'm not sure.

You show me where i said all Irish people who sing rebel songs are bigots or even suggested it and i'll happily answer.

Otherwise, let's get back on topic.

You invented this issue. Perhaps you are trying to put words into my mouth? I'm not sure.
    I'm not trying to put words into your mouth, I asked you questions, you didn't answer.

I said that this...
    the point of view that Michael Collins is a hero, yet the 6 counties should be united with the rest.
    ...is a valid point of view. You didn't seem to agree so I asked, "Is it bigoted to think that it's good for Irish people to govern ourselves, for British forces to have withdrawn from most of Ireland, while hoping for a united island of Ireland?". Still waiting for an answer on that.

You show me where i said all Irish people who sing rebel songs are bigots or even suggested it and i'll happily answer.

Otherwise, let's get back on topic.
    I never said that you suggested that. I did take issue with you calling Irish people who go and support Celtic and sing rebel songs bigots. Is every Irish person who supports Celtic and sings rebel songs a bigot or it only some fans you have an issue with?
    The reason they are bigots is because they go to Britain and sing them. They think they're Mr.Republican and have a season ticket at a British soccer club. It's time for our old friend.................

27179_10150092976550702_568895701_11304415_5895535_n.jpg

2 simple questions...

1) WE do govern OURSELVES. This is the Republic of Ireland. How have you gone through your life and missed this?

2) Someone who goes to another country and uses sectarian insults, or insults based on someone's ethnicity, ethnic background or race,in the form of a song, a chant, a poem or even a Limerick, or one who insults others there and shows irrationality, animosity or intolerance toward them for the same reasons or because their views are different to theirs, is a bigot.

Now, if you'd like to get back on topic? Or maybe we can start a thread over on the Stormfront?

1) WE do govern OURSELVES. This is the Republic of Ireland. How have you gone through your life and missed this?
    You're still avoiding the question. Is it bigoted to think that it's good for Irish people to govern ourselves, for British forces to have withdrawn from most of Ireland, while hoping for a united island of Ireland? As I've said one of the previous times you avoided this question, we do govern ourselves, welcome to Ireland. It's not a difficult question to understand, read it slowly. Should I say "Is it bigoted to think that it's good that we Irish people govern ourselves right now.........", does that make it easier for you?

2) Someone who goes to another country and uses sectarian insults, or insults based on someone's ethnicity, ethnic background or race,in the form of a song, a chant, a poem or even a Limerick, or one who insults others there and shows irrationality, animosity or intolerance toward them for the same reasons or because their views are different to theirs, is a bigot.
    So effectively all Irish Celtic fans who go to support Celtic and sing rebel songs are bigots? Wow. I wouldn't agree with that. Is it ok to sing rebel songs in Ireland?

You're still avoiding the question. Is it bigoted to think that it's good for Irish people to govern ourselves, for British forces to have withdrawn from most of Ireland, while hoping for a united island of Ireland? As I've said one of the previous times you avoided this question, we do govern ourselves, welcome to Ireland. It's not a difficult question to understand, read it slowly. Should I say "Is it bigoted to think that it's good that we Irish people govern ourselves.........", does that make it easier for you?

There are no British forces in our country. Where are the British forces in the Republic of Ireland?

I live in the Republic of Ireland. I've never known another country to exist here and unless you went to school with my Great Great GRandfather, neither do you!

You realise this is 2010 right?

So effectively all Irish Celtic fans who go to support Celtic and sing rebel songs are bigots? Wow. I wouldn't agree with that.

Well you said it, not me buddy!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Is this still the soccer forum?

There are no British forces in our country. Where are the British forces in the Republic of Ireland?

And who gives a f*ck about a "united island of Ireland"? Get with the times!

You realise this is 2010 right?
    Yes, 2010, Ireland. Here is the simple question you keep avoiding:Is it bigoted to think that it's good for Irish people to govern ourselves, for British forces to have withdrawn from most of Ireland, while hoping for a united island of Ireland? I'll rephrase it to make it easier for you "Is it bigoted to think that it's good that we Irish people govern ourselves (right now, 2010), to think that it's good that British forces have withdrawn from most of Ireland (they're not present in most of Ireland right now, 2010), and to hope that someday there might be a united island of Ireland? Simple question, still waiting for an answer.

Well you said it, not me buddy!
    Singing rebel songs abroad falls under what you've written as criteria to be labelled a bigot so why are you not sticking to your guns and saying it straight?

Melion wrote: »

I agree, i;ve been trying to get back on topic and have been sill enough to get sucked into a futile argument!

The England jerseys are in "Clearence" on Soccer Triads if anyone's interested? :D

Singing rebel songs abroad falls under what you've written as criteria to be labelled a bigot so why are you not sticking to your guns and saying it straight?

I honestly don't know how i could've been any clearer.

Conversation over :)

I honestly don't know how i could've been any clearer.

Conversation over :)
    Still no answer on simple question number one. Avoiding it like the plague. :D

Melion wrote: »
    Apologies. I asked two simple questions, only got an answer for one, didn't think he'd drag it on so long.

No bother if the mods want to delete this rubbish.

• Advertisement
Advertisement