Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying at 23 as a Mature Student

Options
  • 23-08-2010 2:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭

Im turning 23 next year and since i dont have the leaving cert standard i plan to apply as a mature student to ucd or trinity or any decent dublin college next year, to hopefully start a BSc in marine biology or zoology of some sort.

Can anyone fill me in on how i go about applying as a mature student, what the process entails and what the success rate of applications is like?

Id appreciate anyone taking their time to help me out :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,354 ✭✭✭✭looksee

While there is a policy of accepting a certain number of mature students on a course - maybe 2 - it is not automatic that you will have a chance of getting in without being able to show that you have skills in the area. For example to do an art-based course you would have to present a portfolio and have an interview. They might ask for some proof of a level of education, maybe lc or possibly a plc course. If you have been working in the area that would probably help. However, they are not going to take on a student who would struggle to deal with the course and study.

You apply direct to the college and ask them what their requirements are, and how to apply. Afaik you have to be 23 on 1st January of the year you apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Have you looked at this thread? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055676871 I know there's a lot to take in there but it's good advice (yes I wrote it. :pac: )

First port of call is looking at the different uni websites and seeing which has the course most suited to your interests. Then find out does the college take mature students and what requirements you need for that. Take it from there.

Regards success rates. I'm not sure. I didn't get a place the first time I applied. But looking back, I didn't have a very good application. I knew I wanted to do the course but the application didn't show I had the ability academically. If you research the course and what the college is looking for in a mature student applicant, making your application as strong as it can will give you a greater chance of getting in first time round. Also, it depends on how many places they hold for mature students. My course was just 3. Science might be a greater amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

It's very important to note what looksee said:
    You must be 23 on or before the 1st of January of the year you enter the course.
    A lot of people don't seem to know this is the general rule for mature students.
    However individual colleges may have different rules, so always find out directly.

If you don't qualify as a mature student, there may be a plc course or similar that you could do in the subject of your interest that could take you up to college application time next year.
    It would be an extra qualification along with your leaving certificate, and may make you eligible for your college course choice then.

I have a friend with no leaving certificate who did a social care plc, then went directly into a social studies course in college. I'm not sure if she was classed as a mature student[I think she was, as she was the right age] or not because of this, but she got a grant etc.

Try to find out if a plc course along with your leaving cert could make you eligible for a college place, without actually being classed as a mature student.
    I'm not sure if it could work or not, but someone on this forum might know??

I don't qualify as a mature student either because of my birthday, I just reapplied through the CAO again on my leaving cert points from a few years, and got offered my first choice this morning!:)
    So I don't qualify for a mature student grant, but I should qualify for BTEA, as I fulfill all the requirements. This will mean, I get 196 euro a week, and a once of payment of 500 euro at the start of year.
    I think I read somewhere here as well, that you are allowed a part time job with BTEA without it affecting your payment? I have left my application very late, only started today because I was awaiting CAO offer, so hopefully it will all be ok.

I don't know your situation regarding being the right age etc., but if not, then hopefully one of the above might be an option for you to get back into college next year.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

It's very important to note what looksee said:
    You must be 23 on or before the 1st of January of the year you enter the course.
    A lot of people don't seem to know this is the general rule for mature students.

Hi, sounds good!It's brilliant that you've found something you're passionate about, Just 2 things,

As little acorn said, you may not be elligible for a course for next year, but maybe think about doing a general access course, or the science access course in UCD. This will serve the dual purpose of getting you back into the swing of classes, and will go toward your application, and show your prospective faculty that you can commit to study and do well in it. A lot of mature students find the access courses really beneficial.

the only thing i might suggest about your chosen courses is to really investigate them thoroughly. You should definitely do something you're interested in, it will keep you motivated throughout course. That said, from talking to a couple of friends who did zoology, it can be difficult to get a job in the specific area you're interested in, so maybe try to talk to some zoologists/marine biologists even shadow them if possible. It's so worth doing to be as informed as you can be before you go back.

Good luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

I would definately second the access course, I know the TAP course seperate the course into Access to Arts an Access to Sciences and that covers chemistry and Biology so that would be a good one for you.

I know from my experience that any additional requirements for courses will probably still be required, in my case I needed HC3 maths in LC for engineering courses and I found UCD and Trinity out of bounds unless I got the grade so you may need to sit a couple of subjects if you don't go the access route.

As far as applying goes talk to the colleges, ring, email and drop into see people to get the info you need. Find out what they are looking for and work it into your application.
    Applications for Mature students need to be in for 1st Feb into the college and CAO, make sure you have your CAO preferences sorted as we oldies don't get thechange of mind option as ar as I'm aware.

give yourself a lot of time to get your application perfect and get people to proof read it.

Good luck

• Advertisement
Advertisement