Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SPACE Nightclub first Borris now Portlaoise?

Options
  • 23-08-2010 5:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where this is going or what the story with it is? They've invited half the county on Facebook on two occassions: the first was an opening in Borris-In-Ossory which only lasted a short time and now its relocating to Portlaoise.

No one knows where it's going, there's no license applications or planning applications relating to it accessible online from what I can find.
    SPACE IS MOVING TO NEW PREMISES OVER THE NEXT 3 TO 4 WEEKS TO A PURPOSE BUILT CLUB & VENUE IN PORTLAOISE TOWN.. ALONGSIDE FULL LATE BAR & DANCE LICENSE

WE HOPE TO REOPEN IN THE NEW PREMISES LATE AUGUST OR EARLY SEPTEMBER WITH A MASSIVE LINEUP ON OPENING NIGHT

INCLUDING SPACE RESIDENTS PLUS SOME LOCAL UP & COMING TALENT
    FULL DETAILS ON THE WAY!

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=296064114437

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Sunny86

I'd imagine its going into sky venue as thats only purpose built place in the town. And i'm sure the banks are trying to rent it out to recoup some money

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

BOASTING A 40K SOUND SYSTEM OVER 2 ROOMS WITH FULL LASER SHOW & VISUALS ALONGSIDE A CAPACITY OF 1000 PEOPLE & THE BIGGEST DJS ON THE PLANET
    Capacity of 1000 thousand people sounds way OTT. I don't think sky could hold anywhere close to that. Everyone is saying it is sky venue but i doubt it. Two rooms?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Bicky wrote: »
    Capacity of 1000 thousand people sounds way OTT. I don't think sky could hold anywhere close to that. Everyone is saying it is sky venue but i doubt it. Two rooms?

Up and down but downstairs is Kellys steak house and its doing well ( i think ) strange going in to have a steak and sitting at a table on the dance floor when i gigged there when it was a night club.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

Possibly the old county hotel but don't think they could do it in that short a time frame

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ILA

There's speculation that it might go into the Portlaoise Arms but I doubt that. It's mainly the work of two whippersnappers who DJ in hard house music. The Borris venture was in the Abbeyleix Manor Hotel but I'm not sure why they're moving, probably didn't get the crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

I'm racking my brains trying to think of a place in portlaoise that could handle that many people. all I'm coming up with is the conference rooms in the heritage (which is in receivership I think so could do with the cash) or if they used the old "4 home" shop up beside lidl. can't see it happening though. portlaoise badly needs a proper nightclub imo

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

or if they used the old "4 home" shop up beside lidl. can't see it happening though
    Not without a licence, and they don't come easy, or fast. I am guessing this is just some chaps acting the maggot on facebook.

BTW Adam, it could be the creche!!

reminds me of the film "step brothers"...Prestige worldwide ;)

and sure why not JP, at least we won't have far to walk home afterwards ha ha ha

the events page on facebook says its opening on september 4th and just says main street. could it be that pub opposite coppers right at the top of the street that's been a building site for the last year? think I remember the sign saying it was gonna be a club but that was ages ago

• Advertisement

Obaraten wrote: »
    question can another night club survive in Portlaoise?its not as if the others presently here are making massive turnovers

I put a lot of that down to the fact that they're all (yes, all 3 of them :p) pretty crap and play on the fact that there's no competition so there's a "like it or lump it" mentality

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

I'll gladly "lump it"! :pac:

+100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
    ah but desperate times call for desperate measures. ie after closing time in the pub and ye want more booze :D

Damn you with your logic and sense :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭Flynner64

did I read that right above....a 40K sound system !?!

Sure if that's the case it doesn't matter where it is, you'll hear it all over the county !

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭jessconr

there's work being done in Humes bar at the end of main street. its hardly there?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Tanmeister

Its hardly the Old Tech School???

The opening time has been put back to late September to mid-October according to the Facebook page. The opening date was to be last Saturday but they forgot to put it back on the Facebook event thingy.
    jessconr wrote: »
    there's work being done in Humes bar at the end of main street. its hardly there?
    Nope, that's re-opening as a pub in the coming months after being bought by someone, I can't remember who.
    Tanmeister wrote: »
    Its hardly the Old Tech School???
    Nope, can't see that as a likely venue. It's currently derelict and unsafe for any form of project, as several community ones were suggested at Council and VEC meetings, but they were conveniently shot down that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Tanmeister

I wonder if the upstairs of coppers is ready?? That was meant to be a nightclub wasnt it...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

The Old Tech is a primary school now.

Tanmeister wrote: »
    I wonder if the upstairs of coppers is ready?? That was meant to be a nightclub wasnt it...
    I have my suspicions about that as a possible location. I'd say it'll be up the town, near Top Square. So places like the upstairs of the Foundry where Danang was or Coppers.
    civdef wrote: »
    The Old Tech is a primary school now.
    Yeah I'd heard something about that, but haven't looked at the building in ages. It could be demolished for all I know yet I pass it fairly often, odd, I just don't remember to look at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LeahBaby

ILA wrote: »
    I have my suspicions about that as a possible location. I'd say it'll be up the town, near Top Square. So places like the upstairs of the Foundry where Danang was or Coppers.

Yeah I'd heard something about that, but haven't looked at the building in ages. It could be demolished for all I know yet I pass it fairly often, odd, I just don't remember to look at it.

I think its down by kws. Seen a place being renovated down beside that bathroom place.

LeahBaby wrote: »
    I think its down by kws. Seen a place being renovated down beside that bathroom place.
    Must look into it and see if people down that way have any news on it.
    i'm still waiting for a real nightclub to open in Portlaoise!
    You'll be waiting! :D Make sure you include this in your Will so it can be handed down to future generations!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭laois gael

Advertisement