Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Melbourne surrounds by rail

Options
  • 23-08-2010 5:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi there,

I'm trying to organise a romantic weekend out of the city by rail if possible for myself and girlfriend. Love the idea of just hoping on a train without the need to hire a car.

Does anyone know of some interesting places that we could travel to by train for one or two nights or even just a day trip?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

There are a good few options out there for you. Outside of Melbourne the other major cities in Vic are Geelong, Ballarat and Bendigo. Geelong is pretty close, on the coast, Ballarat has a lot of history re the goldmines and the Eureka Stockade which led to the foundation of democracy in Oz and Bendigo is meant to have a large Chinese community since the days of the gold mining. Chinese fellas with an Aussie accent.
    Along the coasts there would also be some nice towns, whale watching would be an option at this time of the year.
    There is a lot out there and Id agree that the train is a good option for a leisurely journey. Obviously if you have a car of your own that would be the best bet.
    If I was you I'd check out the Melb tourist office at Fed Sq. They would probably have information booklets on the different places and Im sure could offer you some tips and hints.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Not the train but the bus. i'd head down to inverloch or phillip island.

inverloch is a gorgeous sea side town that would be completely uncrowed at this time of the year. summer & easter when the tourists hit it is mayhem for such a small place. you can have nice long walks on the beach, brunch at a beachside cafe and dinner in some nice pubs & a couple of resturants. plus because it is small you wont need a car at all. Ive always loved this place (driven past loads, never stayed there)
    http://www.eugenies.com.au/
    Looks perfect for a romantic weekend.

Phillip Island would be similar, very uncrowed at this time of year. You could visit the penguin parade in the evening but it would be freezing outside. youd need to get a taxi to the parade though if you dont have a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

i was down at the penguins last weekend, there were loads of busses so i guess there are tours.

have you considered a weekend in tassie? you could prob get some good value on flights this time of the year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 spanish_sahara

That Eugenies place looks pretty amazing. Thanks for the ideas!! Will have to look into that now. Think the restriction of train timetables and getting taxis/ buses might be a bit of a pain. Will go into the tourist office though and check it out

Cheers!

Advertisement