Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B.I.S 1st year

Options
  • 23-08-2010 6:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭

so who is going into 1st year bis then

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 KaTiEdOnOvAN

I will ! woo !!:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Yes some else from boards is doing bis :D

Sony mind I ask but how many end up in our class for the year ?
    30 to 50 ?

yup :) well i was told that most years the classes are about 50 people!
    are you from cork?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

You'll get about 50 odd in your class for first year and it'll be broken up into 3 groups, A, B and C for first year (alphabetically). Any questions feel free to ask I'm in BIS myself :)

cool! any tips? what are the classes like?

• Advertisement

cool! any tips? what are the classes like?

Maths and Stats
    - Most people find it quite daunting, this is the one lecture I would show up no matter what. You'll do basics in this first semester, means, averages, financial maths, probability (hated that one) etc and then second semester you'll do linear etc.. Most people find this module the hardest.

Essentials of Business Programming - Core computer module in first year. You'll start with VB (Visual Basic) and will learn how to make basic programs, if you stick at it it's really easy to understand, fabulous lecturer for it too, she's very approachable. You'll have a project due for December which will include pretty much everything you do from Sept onwards. 2nd semester is pretty much same format but lil more advanced.

Business Management
    - If you did Business Studies in school you'll be fine with this. Lil bit more advanced, you might have a different lecturer to me this year but I loved this subject, my best one in first year. It's all theory based and in 2nd semester you'll have a presentation which to be honest isn't that daunting, it'll be a group one.

B.I.S
    - Your other theory based module, savage lecturer :p Loved this module but a lot of information to withhold, your best off getting the book to accompany this as the notes are a lil over the place for this we found. This is one where I'd defo read over the notes and take extra notes during class. Examples examples EXAMPLES. He loves them and he wants them! Mention the iPhone and he'll be your best friend! ha 50% theory, the 50% is computer based. You'll do a lot of Excel! A LOT!! :pac: and a presentation in this as well.

Financial Accounting - Even if you didn't do accounting in secondary you'll be fine, he starts with the basics but this is more a school subject in that he gives you "homework" and goes around the class asking for answers, so make sure you do it right away. He ALWAYS asks for the answers from students never gives them. Get a book as well for this one just for your own good. I can always sell on mine if ye want it? I've one for Business Management too!

C.I.T (Creative, Innovative, Teamwork) Module
    - Every first year student in the college does this. For BIS, first semester is basic Word based computer classes and then the other half is presentations. Any topic with four/five other class mates. To get confidence up, presentation skills, teamwork with your class etc. Second semester is a free module, so can choose "communications" (similar to the CIT module or any other module of your choice (provided there are enough numbers) ie. sport, science etc..

I dunno if that helps? Any other specific questions, feel free to ask! Books, lecturers, times, notes anything :)

hi there i am looking for a house to shere with people if anyone is looking for a extra person pm me 1st year bis

thanks vinta81 ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9 tuzex89

Hello, many thanks, Vinta!!!
    Is there many mature students in this course?
    I'm starting to study BIS course this year (as mature student).
    How many books I will have to buy during the year? (€???) :eek:

At what time lectures usually start?

tuzex89 wrote: »
    Hello, many thanks, Vinta!!!
    Is there many mature students in this course?
    I'm starting to study BIS course this year (as mature student).
    How many books I will have to buy during the year? (€???) :eek:

At what time lectures usually start?

Hey! I didn't have any mature students in mine but I know there have been a few down the years. Age doesn't matter really.

Books I only got ones for Business Management and Financial Accounting (latter of which was for me) the Fin. Accounting lecture gives you notes on everything you could possibly want to be honest.

For Programming you have to buy the manual which is €7/8 from Repo Graphics (on campus) an Excel manual (same price/place)so no huge costbooks wise :)

One tip though, when you get your notes from the lectures (online) get them binded! Costs €2 in Repo Graphics and really handy as it's binded into a manual so no chance of losing notes etc...

Lectures generally start at 9/10am with BIS. You can have shortish days finished by 11/12, think our longest day was over at 4/5. But that wouldn't be everyday :)

Anything else and I'm glad to help.

• Advertisement

thats go to now not to much books

will i get away useing a mac for bis ?

Pardon at the first sentence?

The Mac - for taking notes or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

For VB.NET development I'd say it would be awkward on the MAC

thats good to no because i am getting a free mac mini from apple over the s.hit iphone 4 and will be selling it

will i need a good laptop for bis because my one is showing its age badly

dell inspiron 1525 2.0gz centrino duel core 3gb ram and a 128mb intal card

i am looking at about 700 to 900 euros for my new laptop any ideas ?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 JS0692

Hey. I accepted this course too. Moving into Deans Hall asap! Can anyone tell me everything about this course? So excited! I have loads of questions that google cannot seem to answer!

How many hours a week will we spend in lectures?
    Is there a lot of studying to be done?
    I'm not the best at following instructions so would the lectures help me with this? I get confused very easily..
    Whats the drop out rate?

Advertisement