Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anonymous Health and safety complaint

Options
  • 23-08-2010 7:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if the above is possible? Not getting into to many details about where etc, but in our "workshop" there is a sewer cover and all the mortar around it has cracked, meaning it's not sealed properly and every few days the smell is unbearable. There isn't that many of us working there and the others' opinions are just "ah sure it's a disgrace isn't it".

Also, in our small tea room, there is a single toilet coming straight off it, one door, basically it's just a cubicle in the tea room (the walls do reach the ceiling though) which I vaguely remember hearing is against H&S regs.

If it was known that I made a complaint about it, they wouldn't only be concerned about a H&S complaint, but also a constructive dismissal complaint as I wouldn't be able to stay there. I don't really mind the job, but this is going a bit far.

Thoughts?

Comments

I don't know how anonymous it will be considering you are using your real name as your nick on Ireland's biggest messaging board which routinely comes up in a top ten hit on google. I don't know what type of company you work for, but I believe you could easily be found out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

first off, anonymous is exactly that, know one should know who gave the complaint etc, it should just be a tip.

secondly, never assume something like that with the internet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

the toilet issue is a major h&s issue.

there has to be an ante room before the toilet door and it has to be well ventillated too plus all the usual.

if your company found out it was you that lodged the complaint and you had to leave them i cannot see the constructive dismissal. how do oyu know you couldnt work there after?

has a complaint been lodged with owner/management first before you go shouting to all and sundry?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,506 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If I were in the OP's situation I would be afraid to complain to management, because if subsequently H&S came looking I would be the first to be blamed. And since the place sounds like a kip, I don't think they would have too much trouble manufacturing a reason to fire me.

OP, you could try contacting http://www.hsa.ie/eng/Contact_Us/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Get all your colleagues to approach management at the same time.
    Nobody is happy with it so complain to management at the same time

• Advertisement

Get all your colleagues to approach management at the same time.
    Nobody is happy with it so complain to management at the same time

Lol, if you do that, make sure you shepherd them all in in front of you before you speak!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

It was a serious solution.
    If the smell is terrible and it isn't safe then the OP isn't alone in wanting to complain.
    So meet up, organize and meet your manager.
    One complaint may be dismissed but they'll do something if it's from everyone
    looksee wrote: »
    If I were in the OP's situation I would be afraid to complain to management,

Get a backbone!

Get a backbone!

:rolleyes:

Advertisement