Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do the points go down in the 2nd round??

Options
  • 23-08-2010 8:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

i was looking to get into DIT for visual communications!the points were 800 this year ,thats 150 up from last year:eek::eek:......i ened up with 795 :mad::mad:(345 in my leaving and 450 in my portfoilo)just wanted to know if there is still a chance i can get in on the 2nd round ......do the points go down????:confused::confused:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 A_M

yes, they do go down

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭ddef

Im 10 points below arts in ucd.
    what are the chances it will fall by 10?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

ddef wrote: »
    Im 10 points below arts in ucd.
    what are the chances it will fall by 10?
    Fair high? 1000's of places and whatnot.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 mc_coster

do they normally fall by much because i only need 5 points

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Kevvv

I need Marketing, innovation & technology in DCU to fall by 35 points :pac: safe to say that aint happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 wendellgee

I'm 20 points below waht i need for arts in UCD, do you think there is any chance it will drop that much ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

mc_coster wrote: »
    do they normally fall by much because i only need 5 points

It's impossible to say. Here's a few scenarios:
    Everyone that was offered a place this morning might accept that place and then there are no more places.
    Some of the people who were offered places on the course this morning may not take up the place for whatever reason. Those places become available in the second round.
    Some people may accept the place, but then in the second round they are offered one of their higher choices which they accept. Their place then becomes vacant and may be offered in the third round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 King54

Kevvv wrote: »
    I need Marketing, innovation & technology in DCU to fall by 35 points :pac: safe to say that aint happening.

I just need it to fall by 5 points!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I just need the points for science at Trinity to lose its asterisk

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭loike

Lawliet wrote: »
    I just need the points for science at Trinity to lose its asterisk

i hope you get it, that sucks losing out on random selection.

i need marketing in dit to drop by 15 i doubt it will

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭A193

I need mine to fall 40 :( its Art though.. gonna give the place a call in the morning, show im interested and get my name in there heads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 theaint

Hey I missed arts in ucd by 10 points and I was wondering if the points for arts in ucd generally drop every year in the second round offers and if so by how much? I know last year the points for arts stayed the same for 2nd round and I'm pretty worried by this. It'd be great if anyone could give me info on this. Cheers.

It's impossible to say. Here's a few scenarios:
    Everyone that was offered a place this morning might accept that place and then there are no more places.
    Some of the people who were offered places on the course this morning may not take up the place for whatever reason. Those places become available in the second round.
    Some people may accept the place, but then in the second round they are offered one of their higher choices which they accept. Their place then becomes vacant and may be offered in the third round.

but if someone those leave then would be in the best place to get in???:confused: there cant be many people just 5 points off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I need just one person to drop out of Arts in NUIG and I'm in. They said I'm pretty much top of the list, given my points. There was a mistake on my CAO, so I've had to wait for the second round. I'm still worried, picturing worst case scenarios and all that, but the guy at NUIG said he's pretty confident someone will drop out. With loads of people doing Arts courses, there's bound to be a few that are gonna decide to do something else, take a year out, etc. It'll probably work out.

I need just one person to drop out of Arts in NUIG and I'm in. They said I'm pretty much top of the list, given my points. There was a mistake on my CAO, so I've had to wait for the second round. I'm still worried, picturing worst case scenarios and all that, but the guy at NUIG said he's pretty confident someone will drop out. With loads of people doing Arts courses, there's bound to be a few that are gonna decide to do something else, take a year out, etc. It'll probably work out.

can you ring up and find out where you are on the list???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Since I found out about this problem with my CAO, I've pretty much been in constant contact with the CAO and NUIG to find out what's going on with my application and if there's anyway that I can get on the course. They told me there was no way that I could be offered a place in the first round because of the mistake with the CAO, but that I'd be almost top of the list for second round offers. This is just what they said to me over the phone when they saw how many points I had. I think they said it because I was one of the higher applicants for the course and it was by a freak accident that I didn't get it on the first offers. I don't think you can just call up and have them tell you where you are on the list though.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭A Changer

I still cling onto a slim hope that History in Trinity will drop by five little, measly points. I'm inches away from giving up hope altogether, and just be happy with the course I got. Every time I begin to, a stray thought ignites, and I find myself helplessly wishing. The sooner Thursday week comes, the sooner I can just be content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Pheima

I will drop history in trinity if i manage to get law or history and political science in round 2

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭A Changer

Pheima wrote: »
    I will drop history in trinity if i manage to get law or history and political science in round 2

I wish you the best of luck, then! ;)

A Changer wrote: »
    I still cling onto a slim hope that History in Trinity will drop by five little, measly points. I'm inches away from giving up hope altogether, and just be happy with the course I got. Every time I begin to, a stray thought ignites, and I find myself helplessly wishing. The sooner Thursday week comes, the sooner I can just be content.

i know how you feel ......i was 15 off last year and this year they upped the points and im off by only 5 , its driving me mad :mad::mad::mad: i got offered waterford but i dont think ill be goin so thursday week will be an all or notting day!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Lord, no! Can you imagine how many thousands of people would be contacting them if they did that? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I wish they would just make the list available for each course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Guest11

Does science in trinity normally decrease much in round 2 offers?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 telephone

Does anyone know by how many points Law in UCD went down in the second round offers last year? I got 470, but ti came in at 480 this year and bnl was 485. Would it be usual for a course lie that to go down by 15 points in the second round offers?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

A193 wrote: »
    I need mine to fall 40 :( its Art though.. gonna give the place a call in the morning, show im interested and get my name in there heads!

Colleges have nothing to do with the CAO, it's entirely out of their hands for 1st year admissions.

And I doubt the CAO computer is going to remember names....

Best thing to do is sit tight and wait for 2nd round offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭halpin17

If it's 5 points send all your scripts back u might get lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

halpin17 wrote: »

I don't think everyone has 3-400 euro to throw away like that. Also, don't forget that you can be brought down in grade in rechecks. So you could waste 400 quid and end up 15 points worse off.

halpin17 wrote: »

i did my leaving last year so its a bit late to get them checked :P

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭ddef

does anybody know if the points for arts in ucd usually drops in the second round or if generally places become available until october?
    thanks in advance.

• Advertisement

It is possible but it all depends on what the people who've been offered the course do. If they defer or decline it, it'll open up spaces. Depending on how many spaces are free, it could drop by 5, 10, 15 points, but theres no way of knowing til the second round offer. Have a back up plan in case it doesn't drop. If this course was your number 1 and you were offered your number 2, you can accept your number 2 and still be offered number 1 in the next round, if you'd be happy with doing your second choice. Be prepared for changing your accommodation plans/start date if you do end up getting a different course.

we will just have to wait till next week to find out!:(:(

Advertisement