Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do the points go down in the 2nd round??

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

ddef wrote: »
    does anybody know if the points for arts in ucd usually drops in the second round or if generally places become available until october?
    thanks in advance.
    Theres no real "usually" to things as course points rise and fall as the years go on. No one can really say if they'll drop, you'll just have to hope for the best and wait til next week. You can't enter a course in October unless you went up in rechecks and had enough points, if the course has space for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Theres no real "usually" to things as course points rise and fall as the years go on. No one can really say if they'll drop, you'll just have to hope for the best and wait til next week. You can't enter a course in October unless you went up in rechecks and had enough points, if the course has space for you.

+1

The answer to all the questions on 'is it likely my course points will drop?' is:

How long is a piece of string???

Nobody knows (except the CAO) how many applied for a course, NOBODY knows how many will accept their offers and how many places will be left over and nobody knows how many people have 5 points below the cut off on the waiting list or if they will all get the offer in Round 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Okay anyone know what I should do here? I got offered a course which I would like to do, however the one I have my heart set on is in UCD and I missed out by ten points. Should I just accept the one I got offered and hope UCDs points drop?

Okay anyone know what I should do here? I got offered a course which I would like to do, however the one I have my heart set on is in UCD and I missed out by ten points. Should I just accept the one I got offered and hope UCDs points drop?

If you'd be genuinely happy to do the one you've been offered (and prepared to do the full course of it), accept it. Then you wait until 2nd round offers, and if the points drop, you'll still get offered your number 1 even though you accepted the other one.

(Assuming the one you accepted is lower on your CAO than the one you want?)

If you want nothing else than to do the one you weren't offered, you'd either have to go back and repeat or hope the points come down next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 brandy2006

hey guys i was hopin to do childcare studies in cit or ucc but they went way up! was really disappointed with my result, 325, so i could only get into wexford! was just wondering do the points definitly go down in the 2nd round? my next option was to go to waterford(wit) but unfortunately again i was 15 points short! could they go down by 15 points? also on the cao they have vacant/available places offered but i couldnt find waterford(early childhood studies) does that mean the colurse is full up?

• Advertisement

brandy2006 wrote: »
    hey guys i was hopin to do childcare studies in cit or ucc but they went way up! was really disappointed with my result, 325, so i could only get into wexford! was just wondering do the points definitly go down in the 2nd round? my next option was to go to waterford(wit) but unfortunately again i was 15 points short! could they go down by 15 points? also on the cao they have vacant/available places offered but i couldnt find waterford(early childhood studies) does that mean the colurse is full up?

No. For a lot of courses they don't move at all. Don't depend on the 2nd round. The points will drop only if people who were offered that course decide not to take it for some reason.

Is the course the exact same in Wexford?

yes it is the exact same course but waterford is a lot nearer to me than wexford! oh well thats a shame, but if a handful of applicants refuse the offer lets say in wit, do the points go down by much? also on the cao website there are vacant/available courses but the wit one isnt there, does that mean the places are full up

yes it is the exact same course but waterford is a lot nearer to me than wexford! oh well thats a shame, but if a handful of applicants refuse the offer lets say in wit, do the points go down by much? also on the cao website there are vacant/available courses but the wit one isnt there, does that mean the places are full up

If 1 person refuses it they'll give the place to the next person in line...the person with the highest points, or random selection between the people with the highest points. So it'll just depend how many don't take it! If its a Level 7 people who got offered it might take their level 8 instead. You'll just have to wait and see :)

About vacant places, theres a sticky at the top of the forum about it, but if its not on the list you can't apply for it. Keep an eye on the list though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

also on the cao website there are vacant/available courses but the wit one isnt there, does that mean the places are full up
    No, it means that courses on the list have already exhausted all applicants, so there's no-one waiting for it in Round 2.

A few courses may already be full from places accepted, but the majority will have at least a couple of places available for Round 2.

ok thanks a lot for yere help!!! but just say somehow i get offered a place in waterford, how is it possible i would be able to get registered there when the 2nd round offers come out on the 2nd aswell as the registration for wit?? seems highly unlikely!!!:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭salthillman

Good luck to everyone for the 2nd round! I only need my course to drop 15 points!

me too, i only need my course to go down 15 points! well it wasnt my first preference choice but its a lot nearer to me than the course i accepted in the first round, and anyway all my courses are the same! i wonder can coourses go down by 15 points or more in the 2nd, or do they give out the remainibg offers to applicants next on the list for a place or can they go by entry requirements.? i think my entry requirements were quite good!

do they give out the remainibg offers to applicants next on the list for a place or can they go by entry requirements.? i think my entry requirements were quite good!
    Provided people have the minimum entry requirements, places will then be allocated in order by total points.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭irish_man

i need my course to go down by 10.....not a chance of it happening though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Kinvara90

Would anybody know what are the chances of UCC dropping Government from 330 to 325 in the CAO round 2 offers on 2nd September 2010?!!! :confused:

Kinvara90 wrote: »
    Would anybody know what are the chances of UCC dropping Government from 330 to 325 in the CAO round 2 offers on 2nd September 2010?!!! :confused:
    Dude, not being smart, but nobody has any more clue than yourself, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Irelandperson

I cant believe I am only 5 points off my course went up by 75 points I am gutted please god 2nd round I get an offer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Need by course to drop by at least 35 points. :pac: It went up 65 this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

I got arts for UCD and just thought I'd let everyone know that I'm actually not taking it so my place will be spare :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭C__MC

If i accept my second choice before next thursday week and then my first chioce has a drop in points could I still get offered it??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

C__MC wrote: »
    If i accept my second choice before next thursday week and then my first chioce has a drop in points could I still get offered it??

Yes.

You can accept a course and if the points drop or your points go up, you can still be offered a higher preference course on your list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Second round offers will either drop or stay the same. They can't go up.

Say your course has 50 places. The top 50 applicants (in terms of points) get offered a place. The lowest-scoring applicant is the one who sets the points benchmark. So if the points benchmark for the first round is 350, then you know at least one person who got an offer got 350. If one person decides not to accept the course, it opens up one more place that is offered to the 51st highest-scoring person. If five people don't accept a place, the places are offered to the next five people (down to No. 54 in the list).

In other words, No. 51 and below will either have the same score as No. 50 or a lower score, hopefully lower. Back when I was doing my leaving even I didn't fully understand it. Hope that helps somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭aranciata

Anybody know where to find the first round points for TCD last year? Just wondering if courses drop often and by how much.. All I can seem to find are the final points for a course (after several rounds)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭many

A Changer wrote: »
    I still cling onto a slim hope that History in Trinity will drop by five little, measly points. I'm inches away from giving up hope altogether, and just be happy with the course I got. Every time I begin to, a stray thought ignites, and I find myself helplessly wishing. The sooner Thursday week comes, the sooner I can just be content.

I'll also drop history in Trinity if the points for English drop by five. Five points!!! So miserable.

Advertisement