Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meeting New People

Options
  • 21-08-2010 11:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi all. Moved to the North Dublin area a while back but have found it hard to meet new people. The only friends I have are my boyfriends' who are mainly guys. I live in Malahide and have been working in Skerries. Starting a new job in Malahide this week but no opportunities there to meet anyone really, I'll be working on my own. Female, 29, friendly...does anyone know of any clubs or societies around or anything like that? (I'm brutal at sports so that's a no go :o)

I hope this is the right place to post this. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Hi all. Moved to the North Dublin area a while back but have found it hard to meet new people. The only friends I have are my boyfriends' who are mainly guys. I live in Malahide and have been working in Skerries. Starting a new job in Malahide this week but no opportunities there to meet anyone really, I'll be working on my own. Female, 29, friendly...does anyone know of any clubs or societies around or anything like that? (I'm brutal at sports so that's a no go :o)

Hello and welcome to North Dublin. I dont know much about Malahide but North Dublin in general is a good spot, especially Rush :):):)

For a start you dont have to be into sport to get some benefits from a sports club as quite a few have a good social side. And so what if you are no good at sports, you dont need to be an expert at anything to enjoy it. Just enjoy it.... What interests do you have, Walking, reading swimming, Cinema, Photography, cookery. There are some excellent clubs in North Dublin.

You could be a late developer at sports!!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Some of the Malahide heads would be better placed to respond but from memory the following organisations may suit you: Malahide Musical & Dramatic Society, Toastmasters, Enchiriadis Treis.

There's plenty of opportunity for volunteering if you're interested in getting involved. They include the new Foroige Youth Club, Guiding, Scouting, SVdeP, Tidy Towns and many more.

Also September is a great time to sign up for an evening class in Scoil Iosa. There's a wide variety of classes available and it's a good chance to meet up with other people from the area.

Fair play to you for getting out there and getting to know the neighbourhood. It's all too easy to get stuck in the work/home rut and it's brilliant to get in touch with your community.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

Hi, there is a group on www.meetup.com, which is called (if memory serves me correctly) the North County Dublin meetup or something along those lines - if you do a search on there you may find something that sparks your interest.

Hope you like it in Malahide, and settle in well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Is second the tidy towns for malahide.Heidi Bedell is there and lovely.cathy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Why Should I

hi their i moved into north dublin and i have the same problem female with 2 kids if you find any clubs socities let us no be grate to hear from another female thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Mods, might be a nice idea to perhaps sticky an 'Introduce yourself' style thread. Would be good to say hello to some new people in our area! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭liverbird

I've met some really nice people through forums, some of them are life long friends at this stage! Meeting up for the first time can be daunting but we're all human beings behind a screen after all :D

Ive just put up a thread on evening courses in nth co dublin, Hillbilly put up a great link and malahide is on it for courses if you wish to do something along those lines.

I''ve volunteered for the special olympics ireland too, there are events/clubs all round the country looking for helpers. I'm just awaiting garda clearance before commencing.

http://www.specialolympics.ie/GETINVOLVED/VOLUNTEERS.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Rockee wrote: »
    Mods, might be a nice idea to perhaps sticky an 'Introduce yourself' style thread. Would be good to say hello to some new people in our area! :)

Good idea Rockee. Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Good idea Rockee. Done.

Fair play! Thanks Hill Billy :)

Great idea on the thread. Was just thinking while reading this post that perhaps a NCD boards social group could work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Friends of Autism and ADHD have about 30 volunteers and a greatt social side also.Call in and offer to volunteer a hours or two a week.
    There is a great bunch of people.One shop in Balbriggan and another in Skerries.
    Cathy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Hi Falcon Crest - I know exactly how you feel! I moved over from Belgium 2 years ago to join my Irish boyfriend, and like that my friends would be his friends. I never met any people through the jobs I did, or at least not to level where I would socialize with them.

I took up photography and joined Boards, mainly for the photography forum, also 2 years ago and through that joined a cameraclub in Drogheda. From there I have made so many friends and because they are on Boards as well, I have been meeting so many people from the photography forum here, whom I now consider to be friends - and "mine" friends of that (as in, something totally not related to my boyfriend, something just for me).

If I hadn't joined Boards or the CamClub, my social life would be véry empty as I haven't manager to make friends in other ways...

So defo could recommend joining a club or organization on a subject you like, it' s a fab place to meet people, especially if it's a local club because you make so many friends and feel part of the community!

And also, maybe those NorthCoDub drinks should happen sometime and then you can meet all of us (we're a nice bunch of people!!)
    Hope it works out for you!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I'm in a small knitting group.
    We meet in the Premier Inn lobby in Airside retail park in Swords on Thursdays from about 8 - 10.30. We're friendly and don't mind at all if someone is new to knitting/crocheting.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

sNarah wrote: »
    Hi Falcon Crest - I know exactly how you feel! I moved over from Belgium 2 years ago to join my Irish boyfriend, and like that my friends would be his friends. I never met any people through the jobs I did, or at least not to level where I would socialize with them.

I took up photography and joined Boards, mainly for the photography forum, also 2 years ago and through that joined a cameraclub in Drogheda. From there I have made so many friends and because they are on Boards as well, I have been meeting so many people from the photography forum here, whom I now consider to be friends - and "mine" friends of that (as in, something totally not related to my boyfriend, something just for me).

If I hadn't joined Boards or the CamClub, my social life would be véry empty as I haven't manager to make friends in other ways...

So defo could recommend joining a club or organization on a subject you like, it' s a fab place to meet people, especially if it's a local club because you make so many friends and feel part of the community!

And also, maybe those NorthCoDub drinks should happen sometime and then you can meet all of us (we're a nice bunch of people!!)
    Hope it works out for you!

Recognise your user name from Boards. Godd photographer folks. Is the camera club your in the one that meets in an old building? Remember reading about it before somewhere. Some really good photographers there.

There is also a camera club in Malahide, Swords which is supposed to be good Skerries and a new one due to start in Rush:):).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

LeoB wrote: »
    Recognise your user name from Boards. Godd photographer folks. Is the camera club your in the one that meets in an old building? Remember reading about it before somewhere. Some really good photographers there.

There is also a camera club in Malahide, Swords which is supposed to be good Skerries and a new one due to start in Rush:):).

Jup that's the one! And I'm sure there are plenty of groups and clubs in Skerries - just not too familiar with that part of Fingal...

Advertisement