Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big house spiders - how to get rid of them?

Options
  • 23-08-2010 8:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi all,

not sure if this is the right forum.

I live in Dublin and I saw the third big spider in my house in the last 2 weeks. Almost this size: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5ZzUWwiAHA

I live in a pretty new house, but there hasn't been any constructing job recently and I have no idea how to get rid of them.

Do you have any product (natural one possibly) or method to advise?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 johnny.bill

• Registered Users Posts: 28,357 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Since I doubt that most spiders come in through doors and windows I doubt whether this would be much use! We have those big spiders in our utility/garage conversion, but they don't seem to come into the house so we just leave them be.

You can get a spider catcher like this http://www.lakeland.co.uk/spider-catcher/F/product/20455?src=gpsol&sq=spider%20catcher which might be a better bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Empty yoghurt pot, place over spider, slide piece of card underneath, go outside, release. Done!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 johnny.bill

Tried the glass jar / spider catcher. They always come back in no time.

What I figured out is:

- They are males (or females) coming out especially in end of August / September nights for mating

- They don't have / make nets: they hide in dark holes

Any idea of anything that can keep them away or attract them in a box (so that I can "drive" it kms away :) )?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

What I figured out is:

- They are males (or females) coming out especially in end of August / September nights for mating

Any idea of anything that can keep them away or attract them in a box (so that I can "drive" it kms away :) )?

Thanks!

Why bother with a spider catcher or a youghurt cup? Unless they are bigger than your hand and furry they probably aren't dangerous. I just pick 'em up and chuck 'em out. If that injures their pride or their persons, tough chucks.

Spiders appear to produce masses of little spiders that can get through the smallest gap, after which they grow and become athletic and hard to catch (hence the direct hand method rather than the cup--it's more positive and has the advantage that you can squash 'em if you feel inclined).

How to discourage them? I don't really know, but I do know that ever since I started a policy of cleaning out places where they laid eggs -- underneath window frames and the bit of the window frame that has the hinges attached I don't get as many of the little feckers. I just get more undefeated flies and had to pay for an electrical zapper to nail them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

What I figured out is:

Thanks!
    They always come back in no time.
    :D

Have you tagged or micro-chipped them?

You have a source somewhere in the house which you need to find.

Dont go all chemical ali on them, just catch them and remove them.

Woodies sell a spider catcher which is like the ones for collecting litter: its in the gardening section, not the pets section

• Registered Users Posts: 13 shaileshbk

I know this is an old post but in case someone is still looking here is a good link

http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Spiders-in-the-House

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

every home should have one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

I use one of these, the Katcha Bug.
    You place it over the spider and the turn it and the trap door slides shut. You can then take him outside for release or execution.

http://www.kleenezeshop.com/products/290-katcha-bug.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭liveandnetural

• Advertisement
Advertisement